PDA

View Full Version : What should happen here. Rookie Trooper Caught stealing @ Gun Store.

JohnO
02-10-2022, 11:25 PM
Rookie State Trooper Awaits Discipline for Newington Gun Store Theft

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/02/09/rookie-state-trooper-awaits-discipline-for-newington-gun-store-theft/

Discipline is pending against a rookie state trooper accused of stealing a gun ammunition-loading magazine from a Newington shop two weeks after he graduated from the State Police Training Academy last summer – an incident captured by the store’s video surveillance cameras.

While awaiting the decision on discipline, troopers who have spoken to CT Examiner anonymously say many of Lumpkin’s colleagues are angry and exasperated that Lumpkin has been allowed to remain on the job, saying it damages the agency’s and their individual credibility.

“Our command staff has an obligation to make sure that every man and woman who wears the state police badge serves with integrity,” one trooper said. “We’re just hoping that they will do the right thing and hold this guy accountable.”

Joe Mac
02-10-2022, 11:33 PM
Prosecuted and probably fired, the order of which will depend on whether he's still on probation. If he's off probation, a conviction will likely be needed to fire him; if not, toss him.

A guy who will do crooked shit as a brand new cop will only get worse.

Lon
02-10-2022, 11:54 PM
Charge him and fire his ass.

HCM
02-11-2022, 12:00 AM

This ^^^

Both agency in the community or dodging a bullet with this guy.

Flamingo
02-11-2022, 12:08 AM
i wonder if he got hired with a morality waiver.

SJC3081
02-11-2022, 05:01 AM
Woke State Police are reluctant to fire a minority.

Hambo
02-11-2022, 05:50 AM
My agency would have terminated him immediately. While on probation you could be terminated for any reason without any recourse, and we did it for less than theft. Even if the shop had pressed charges, on a first time shoplifting charge, he'd have walked. In those days, termination by one department was the kiss of death for an LE career. Unfortunately that no longer seems to be the case.

Dave Williams
02-11-2022, 06:16 AM
I’d be shocked if he gets fired.

BehindBlueI's
02-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Store won't prosecute, so no criminal charges.

If probationary period works there like here, fire him now. He's a thief and he's almost certain to be a bigger problem waiting to rear it's head.

ssb
02-11-2022, 07:14 AM
It’s a crime of dishonesty, which is something the State has to disclose every time one of his cases is prosecuted…

camsdaddy
02-11-2022, 07:50 AM
Theft is a crime. There are no small thefts. A man that will steal little will steal much. This person should be held accountable and fired. If they retain him Im sure this will not be the last dishonest thing he does and every case he has his integrity will be questioned and everyone's time wasted before dismissal

RoyGBiv
02-11-2022, 08:04 AM
https://c.tenor.com/eAt5EfLNIuEAAAAC/joaquin-phoenix-commodus.gif

Lon
02-11-2022, 08:43 AM
It’s a crime of dishonesty, which is something the State has to disclose every time one of his cases is prosecuted…

Apparently the brass at that agency have never heard of Brady or Giglio.

We’re our own worst enemy most of the time.

blues
02-11-2022, 09:24 AM
That it's even in question is worrisome.

Le Français
02-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Giving up this: https://www.beaconnecticuttrooper.com/salary-benefits for a pistol mag. Smart.

Sensei
02-11-2022, 10:18 AM
That it's even in question is worrisome.

To be fair, it is Connecticut. Plus, it seems like dishonesty may be more of a systemic problem in that organization.

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/02/03/allegations-of-cheating-political-influence-roil-state-police-academy/

Glenn E. Meyer
02-11-2022, 12:24 PM
Giving up this: https://www.beaconnecticuttrooper.com/salary-benefits for a pistol mag. Smart.

If you want a book on the psychology of what is called nonsensical shoplifting: https://www.amazon.com/Usually-Honest-People-Steal-Understanding/dp/1896342108

Lots of psychobabble for reasons. Who knows in this case. Depression, childhood, culture, feeling of entitlement or being not entitled. You name.

AMC
02-11-2022, 12:28 PM
To be fair, it is Connecticut. Plus, it seems like dishonesty may be more of a systemic problem in that organization.

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/02/03/allegations-of-cheating-political-influence-roil-state-police-academy/

To be honest, I think it is a growing issue profession wide. We are accepting and retaining applicants that we never would have considered before, due to crushing staffing shortages, and 'Diversity, Equity and Inclusion' agendas. What's going to sprout from the seeds we're planting now is anybodys guess.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-11-2022, 04:12 PM
Man, if this is not obviously a "fire immediately because it's going to get way worse in the future" problem to that agency, they have a crippling case of red flagnosia, because that is about the biggest warning sign I think I have ever seen saying "not trustworthy."

Le Français
02-11-2022, 04:19 PM
Lots of psychobabble for reasons. Who knows in this case. Depression, childhood, culture, feeling of entitlement or being not entitled. You name.

Thanks for clearing that up ;)

OlongJohnson
02-11-2022, 06:07 PM
Newington Gun Exchange has some cool inventory. Was the only place I could find the CZ rimfire I wanted in stock, at one point.

Coyotesfan97
02-11-2022, 06:17 PM
We had a Detective get caught shoplifting several years ago in almost the same type of incident with it on video. He went away. I can’t remember if he was fired or resigned.

ETA I think he should be fired.

JohnO
02-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Newington Gun Exchange has some cool inventory. Was the only place I could find the CZ rimfire I wanted in stock, at one point.

They told me once that NGX is the #1 selling CZ dealer in the U.S. I purchased one of my Dan Wesson Valors from NGX.

I've been doing most of my shopping lately at The Gun Store in Waterbury. My son was working there and popping in to see him on my way going by led to a few purchases.

VT1032
02-11-2022, 06:57 PM
Another thing to consider, especially as a relatively young troop, is what effect a good swift kick in the ass, while he's still young, will have on his later life. This might be a major life-changing disruption for him now, but dropping the hammer on him now might really teach him a valuable life lesson about integrity and save him from continuing a pattern of stupid behavior that might later bury him, send him to jail, or leave his family penniless. At 26, it's not too late to start a new career, and it sounds like this ain't the one for him. Just speaking from personal experience, I did something non-criminal, but pretty damn stupid at a summer job in my early 20's where I knew I was wrong while I was doing it but did it anyway. I was caught and fired and that really made me take a hard look at my life choices and do a lot of growing up overnight that I'm not sure would have occurred if I hadn't gotten in trouble.

TDA
02-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Why bounce applicants for push-up form or the 1.5 mile run but let them skate for stealing things? Seems crazy.

kwb377
02-11-2022, 07:09 PM
I've seen LEO discipline range from a guy getting fired for not reporting backing into a parking lot pole at 2am (with no damage to either the car or the pole), to a guy getting a few days off and assigned a different patrol territory for committing Domestic Violence off-duty then fleeing the scene...intoxicated...in his patrol vehicle.

Depending on which SOP manual they go by (the written one...or the unspoken, "Whatever we feel like doing today" policy)...this Trooper may get fired, or get promoted.

I overheard our Captain once remark (during the midst of questionable disciplinary actions against several officers), "We'll just keep doing what we're doing...until we get sued and the Court makes us do the right thing."

paherne
02-11-2022, 08:10 PM
Should be released on probation.

Wise_A
02-12-2022, 02:31 PM

Beyond that--I would give anything to be a sworn officer on road patrol, but it ain't happening. I can practically guarantee you that there were three to five qualified applicants that this guy got hired over, and god-knows-how-many that aced the written and could have passed the physical with a little more work. Not to mention a few qualified and experienced town and county guys that could have lateraled into this guy's spot.

Forget the salary, the dishonesty, the thievery, the lack of the respect for the public. He's got no respect for just how lucky he is. Sucks to spend all the money on training this clown, but they're getting off light.

I'm willing to hear his side of it--there's always more than one side, and the article snippet isn't that verbose--but even on the outside chance he's not guilty, he's incredibly stupid for even putting himself in that position.

Boom
02-12-2022, 02:31 PM

This is the correct answer, it’s not a complicated issue.

Le Français
02-12-2022, 03:03 PM
Beyond that--I would give anything to be a sworn officer on road patrol, but it ain't happening.

Why not?

I can practically guarantee you that there were three to five qualified applicants that this guy got hired over, and god-knows-how-many that aced the written and could have passed the physical with a little more work.

Maybe. CSP has been hurting for troopers lately, and I don't get the impression they're getting buried under applications by truly qualified people. I did some training with them recently, and it seems like a good agency. Being able to make $150,000+ without promoting in an area where you can buy a good house for $350,000 is some of the best bang for your buck in this country (and the world) if you want to push a patrol car around.

Not to mention a few qualified and experienced town and county guys that could have lateraled into this guy's spot.

Nobody laterals into that job; you apply and go through the same hiring process and training as everyone else.

He's got no respect for just how lucky he is. Sucks to spend all the money on training this clown, but they're getting off light.

Agreed on both counts.

vcdgrips
02-12-2022, 05:04 PM
I once went to what was essentially " A how to be a manager school."

We had a presenter who looked and acted just like she was- a lady who started with the Fed Govt at 18 as some type of GS-3 Trainee and 40 years later, she is a GS-15/Step 10 Queen of Admin for an entire region. She has forgotten more about admin than most folks know. When these folks are good and she was, they are worth their weight in PLATINUM re getting stuff done.

She said: "If you take nothing else from this course, when appropriate, use the probationary period to rid your agency of problems that will only cause more problems and 5- 7 figures of costs somewhere down the line."

This state employee is probationary and therefore can be fired for any reason or no reason at all so long as it has nothing to do with protected status/whistle blowing etc.

Fire him and move on. Do not let him resign. Formally terminate him.

Re "charging" him. That is often problematic when your complaining witness (es) decline to press charges. Depending on what the essential elements are of the charged crime, you still would need an owner/authorized agent to testify despite having the video.

As a practical matter, the sub 50.00 value makes it a municipal case in the vast majority of jurisdictions.

Stephanie B
02-12-2022, 07:24 PM
She said: "If you take nothing else from this course, when appropriate, use the probationary period to rid your agency of problems that will only cause more problems and 5- 7 figures of costs somewhere down the line."

This state employee is probationary and therefore can be fired for any reason or no reason at all so long as it has nothing to do with protected status/whistle blowing etc.

Fire him and move on. Do not let him resign. Formally terminate him.

Yepper. Same thing in union shops. If the worker looks problematical, get rid of them before it gets much harder.

Re "charging" him. That is often problematic when your complaining witness (es) decline to press charges. Depending on what the essential elements are of the charged crime, you still would need an owner/authorized agent to testify despite having the video.

As a practical matter, the sub 50.00 value makes it a municipal case in the vast majority of jurisdictions.

IIRC, that's 6th degree larceny in CT. AFAIK, CT doesn't have municipal courts.

Erick Gelhaus
02-12-2022, 07:51 PM
I don't what level it is. Had that happened, I'd have been arguing for the dude, dudette to be fired. Gone. Released from probation.

TDA
02-12-2022, 08:40 PM
Not many things these days have the potential to be quite so expensive as a bad hire. You can barely bribe people to go away anymore without the IRS wanting to tax the severance at 20% as a benefit plan.

WobblyPossum
02-12-2022, 09:52 PM
They need to fire him before his probation expires. I’d bet a paycheck he’ll do something even dumber than that if allowed to continue working and eventually cost the state a ridiculous amount of money in legal fees and a settlement.

Coyotesfan97
02-12-2022, 10:49 PM
If anyone has been involved in Field Training you have seen people who should have been fired get retained. Admin will disregard the input of multiple FTOs who recommend a trainee be fired and retain. They’ll get extended, moved to a slow district, ride with an easy FTO, and pass Field Training. Nothing tells veteran FTOs you’re opinion is of no value and causes experienced FTOs to quit. Then it’s time to watch the train wreck during probation.

I knew of one training Sergeant who kept personal copies of all his recommendations and the documentation supporting them regarding problem children being fired because he believed when the big lawsuit hit the official ones would disappear, Admin would pass the buck down to him, and leave him holding the bag. He wasn’t going to have any part of that.

R89074
02-12-2022, 11:21 PM
If he is retained and makes it through field training when he makes an arrest and has to testify a good defense attorney will have this info and the young trooper will have no integrity as a witness. He will be of no value as an officer because he will not be a good witness, he will have not integrity on the stand.

Wise_A
02-12-2022, 11:49 PM
Why not?

My back is fucked. Maybe I should have said "anything but pushups". S'ok, there are many reasons to enjoy not being on the road as well, and there's lots of things I like about being in dispatch.

I am finding it a tough sell on being a male badge bunny, though.

Nobody laterals into that job; you apply and go through the same hiring process and training as everyone else.

Yeah, I mis-spoke. Around here, guys from a nearby small city are clawing each other's eyes out to get into our agency (working conditions, politics). And our guys are forever trying to get into State (money and fun). And I like our guys and gals: they're generally hard-working and pleasant to deal with.

My thought is: there's gotta be sombody out there that's already working, with a proven history of being a go-getter, that would happily do this dude's job if he doesn't appreciate it so much.

Rex G
02-13-2022, 05:29 AM
Teenage, Huck-Finn-type misbehavior, while a juvenile, is one thing. Anyone old enough to be a sworn state trooper is old enough to face grown-up consequences. Termination. Of. Employment.

Maybe he can grow-up some more, and, with sufficient self-discipline, become an honorable person, but, please, not a peace officer, with any agency. He has squandered that opportunity.

blues
02-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Teenage, Huck-Finn-type misbehavior, while a juvenile, is one thing. Anyone old enough to be a sworn state trooper is old enough to face grown-up consequences. Termination. Of. Employment.

Maybe he can grow-up some more, and, with sufficient self-discipline, become an honorable person, but, please, not a peace officer, with any agency. He has squandered that opportunity.

And as mentioned above...the Brady / Giglio ramifications for court proceedings would be a black eye to the agency.

There's no way to sell this pile of crap as gold.

BehindBlueI's
02-13-2022, 09:55 AM
I knew of one training Sergeant who kept personal copies of all his recommendations and the documentation supporting them regarding problem children being fired because he believed when the big lawsuit hit the official ones would disappear, Admin would pass the buck down to him, and leave him holding the bag. He wasn’t going to have any part of that.

They don't disappear. They get modified without your input but still have your name on them. I also keep my originals and was pretty vocal about doing so.

boing
02-15-2022, 06:45 PM
Suspension and transfer (final decision still pending).

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/02/15/rookie-state-trooper-caught-in-theft-to-receive-10-day-suspension-transfer/

A 10-day suspension and a transfer out of the State Police Troop H barracks in Hartford is the recommended punishment for a rookie state trooper accused of a theft last summer from a gun shop in Newington, according to information obtained by CT Examiner.

Under the proposal, Trooper Romello Lumpkin will be transferred to the State Police Troop D barracks in Danielson effective Feb. 25, according to a personnel order obtained by CT Examiner that was signed by State Police Commissioner James Rovella and distributed to all state police barracks and other units.

It’s not lost on me that he stole a 12 round magazine, which as a simple civilian, would be a crime for me to even possess.

HeavyDuty
02-15-2022, 06:48 PM
Suspension and transfer.

https://ctexaminer.com/2022/02/15/rookie-state-trooper-caught-in-theft-to-receive-10-day-suspension-transfer/

Figures. Hopefully the other troops will deal with him.

Le Français
02-15-2022, 07:34 PM

It’s not lost on me that he stole a 12 round magazine, which as a simple civilian, would be a crime for me to even possess.

I'm sure prosecutors in eastern CT are just thrilled as they look forward to having to decide what to do with cases in which he is the state's main witness.

Wise_A
02-16-2022, 03:03 AM
Around here, we call it "Fuck Up Move Up". What's it called by you guys?

Oldherkpilot
02-16-2022, 06:36 AM
Around here, we call it "Fuck Up Move Up". What's it called by you guys?

Just another day at the circus.

gtmtnbiker98
02-16-2022, 06:51 AM
To be honest, I think it is a growing issue profession wide. We are accepting and retaining applicants that we never would have considered before, due to crushing staffing shortages...

Couldn't agree more.

paherne
02-16-2022, 12:33 PM

Weak sauce.

TDA
02-16-2022, 10:48 PM

Oh no, he bought the 12 rounder and stole the 10, unless I’m misreading the accounts. It’s much dumber than you think.

boing
02-16-2022, 11:09 PM
You’re right, it is dumber than I think. He pocketed the 12 rd mag, and put the 10 rd mag into the box for the 12 rd mag, and paid for that.

Maybe the disciplinary committee felt sorry for him.

Hambo
02-17-2022, 06:21 AM

It is possible that admin, although they have the right to terminate him, is concerned about a lawsuit. In that case, by sending him to a troop, they give him a chance to fuck up more, making their case for termination more solid. This is totally unnecessary, but administrators aren't the best and brightest. It's also possible that those same administrators detest throwing away their investment in this guy, and that their basic requirement for a trooper is the ability to fog a mirror. Hence, he gets a pass and the SP get to fill a seat in a cruiser. The citizens of CT, well, they get what they get.

These days, I think Option B is correct answer.

Sanch
02-17-2022, 10:58 AM
If they need a criminal case to fire him, and if this occurred in California where theft under $900 is not prosecuted, does that mean in Cali, he could keep his job without any issue?

paherne
02-17-2022, 11:49 AM
If they need a criminal case to fire him, and if this occurred in California where theft under $900 is not prosecuted, does that mean in Cali, he could keep his job without any issue?

With the exception of one agency, I am sure every agency in CA would release him on probation. He would surely get put on the Brady list in my county.

Hambo
02-17-2022, 01:17 PM

Generally speaking, on probation you can be terminated at any time, for any reason. That's the point of probation. If the employee is unfit in some way that didn't turn up in background, psych, physical, academy, he or she is gone. Being released doesn't always mean you're a douchebag, just that you're not cut out for the job and both you and the employer are better off without you trying to do it. In department's with unions, you either don't join the union until probation is over, or you get no protection while on probation.

Coyotesfan97
02-17-2022, 01:36 PM
The Academy, Field Training, and probation are screening procedures to make sure employees have what it takes to do the job. Agencies that minimize high red flags like this and don’t get rid of problem children on probation will pay the cost later. He’s a seat in a patrol car but he’s a flawed one. I’ve seen probationary Officers get fired for doing less then this.

I don’t envy him going through future interviews, depositions, and trials.

JohnO
02-17-2022, 01:44 PM
If the Trooper was a regular unwashed CT citizen most likely this incident would be considered a firearms violation. They would lose their CT carry permit under the "Suitability" Clause. Suitability being undefined in CT statutes and therefore up to the interpretation of the relevant authorities or the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

TGS
03-18-2022, 12:15 PM
Thievery for personal gain in the CT State Police just gets you a 10 day suspension, apparently.

camel
03-18-2022, 12:20 PM
I wonder how much the gun shop declining to press charges matter. Or it’s just politics. Or the status quo.

Coyotesfan97
03-18-2022, 02:20 PM
I wonder how much the gun shop declining to press charges matter. Or it’s just politics. Or the status quo.

The gun shop declining to press charges just means he didn’t get charged criminally because the victim arranged to get his property back. Lu pain still committed a theft that he got caught red handed doing. It’s politics and they’ll regret it at some point in the future. Of course the Colonel who kept him won’t be blamed.

Stephanie B
03-18-2022, 02:41 PM
I don't know how they square this. The staties just shitcanned eight cadets for cheating (https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/connecticut-state-police-recruits-fired-for-cheating/), the commissioner goes down to yell at the remaining cadets about how they have to understand that they are held to a higher standard than mere mortals, but they keep this guy for shoplifting?

They should have transferred him to the Department of Sanitation or to ConnDOT, where he wouldn't normally have to testify in court. This guy's name is probably already on every listing of questionable cops held by every criminal defense attorney in the state.

SD
03-18-2022, 03:20 PM
I do fault any of Trooper Lumpkin's co-workers who do not wish to stand next to this POS at lineup or ride in a car with him. Unfortunately when Romello file's his hostile work place lawsuit in a few years it will have some merit. So in this case being a thief will pay off big time! Un-fa'king-real!

Wise_A
03-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately when Romello file's his hostile work place lawsuit in a few years it will have some merit.

I believe hostile work environment claims must be based on discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

FrankinCA
03-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Golden State Killer was a police officer. He was fired from his agency for shoplifting. I think this is more serious than just theft or integrity issues...

JohnO
03-19-2022, 07:35 PM
Apparently cheating on a test at the Police Academy is much worse than stealing.

Connecticut State Police Academy kicks out 8 recruits for violating cheating rule

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/connecticut-state-police-recruits-dismissed-violation-cheating-rule/520-7e52681d-7924-4663-a729-638c1fe73c5e?fbclid=IwAR0oTq1VXeoXFO51igTZM6xaBeCH P6dEU06RlyUObW-zUmHfMwCbkE0FZxw

Rookie State Trooper Caught in Theft to Receive 10-Day Suspension, Transfer