PDA

View Full Version : Sig finally released the P210 Carry

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdJvuL1ZwI

https://www.sigsauer.com/p210-carry.html

It has a shorter slide/barrel than the other American P210s. They teased about it two or three years ago, now, apparently, it's actually a thing.

Definitely the kinda gun that interests me. Reports of broken guide rods and the crazy-light trigger kept from buying the standard model. I wonder if those things will change with this one.

HeavyDuty
02-10-2022, 01:27 PM
I’ve always enjoyed these when I’ve handled them in the store, but then I ended up with an X5 Legion to handle the target 9mm role for me. But still watching with interest.

Ichiban
02-10-2022, 01:29 PM
Interesting. It doesn't do anything that any of my 9mm 1911 commanders doesn't do (except no grip safety) but it is still intriguing.

Osage County doesn't have them in stock yet but they are pricing them at $1500.00.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 01:36 PM
I’ve always enjoyed these when I’ve handled them in the store, but then I ended up with an X5 Legion to handle the target 9mm role for me. But still watching with interest.

I agree. The Standard I handled felt great in hand.

It's roughly BHP sized and not too fat... figured it might make a nice larger/cooler-weather carry gun. But, for me, the trigger just too light for peace of mind. And then there was the guide-rod thing.

TheNewbie
02-10-2022, 01:38 PM
If they got nothing else right, they at least know how to make a proper thumb safety.

TeeBee
02-10-2022, 01:41 PM
Definitely the kinda gun that interests me.

I also find it interesting, but not enough for $1500.

fatdog
02-10-2022, 02:27 PM
Video says alloy frame which was what I remember from the original announcement and specs on the Sig page say stainless frame when I just looked. I am guessing the latter is an error.

I am also guessing it takes the same magazines as the full size version they have been making.

I have really enjoyed mine (new version) the last few years, but it is a big honking heavy gun I would never carry, just fun at the range and quite accurate. Maybe they will make some sales in the ban states.

JHC
02-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Quite appealing to me. The price wouldn't bother me a bit if it turns out to run well and possess the legendary precision. IMO its very nice looking too.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Quite appealing to me. The price wouldn't bother me a bit if it turns out to run well and possess the legendary precision. IMO its very nice looking too.

That's kinda my take as well.

Though, I say that, but when it comes time to pony up for $1500 I think of everything I might not like. But we'll see. Be curious to hear more about how it runs.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Video says alloy frame which was what I remember from the original announcement and specs on the Sig page say stainless frame when I just looked. I am guessing the latter is an error.

I am also guessing it takes the same magazines as the full size version they have been making.

I have really enjoyed mine (new version) the last few years, but it is a big honking heavy gun I would never carry, just fun at the range and quite accurate. Maybe they will make some sales in the ban states.

Yeah, alloy frame is always what I've heard about this model.

Has yours run well? Any issues with the guide rod breaking?

JHC
02-10-2022, 03:12 PM

Though, I say that, but when it comes time to pony up for $1500 I think of everything I might not like. But we'll see. Be curious to hear more about how it runs.

If it were a polymer striker design that's expensive to me but not so bad for an old world all metal SA pistol design if it's put together well. I'm thinking its like the price point to get into a nice high end production 1911 that shouldn't need much or any work for carry; like a TRP or Dan Wesson's. I look forward to more news on it.

Take the mythical DWX carry for example. It's capacity was at the bottom of the list of what attracted me to that.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 03:30 PM
If it were a polymer striker design that's expensive to me but not so bad for an old world all metal SA pistol design if it's put together well. I'm thinking its like the price point to get into a nice high end production 1911 that shouldn't need much or any work for carry; like a TRP or Dan Wesson's. I look forward to more news on it.

Take the mythical DWX carry for example. It's capacity was at the bottom of the list of what attracted me to that.

Yup. Agree on all fronts.

It'll hopefully end up being a little less than the MSRP. I think the Standards go for around $1300, give or take.

fatdog
02-10-2022, 03:48 PM
Has yours run well? Any issues with the guide rod breaking?

Zero issues, 2K+ rounds not a single malfunction. Most accurate 9mm I have ever owned.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 03:51 PM
Zero issues, 2K+ rounds not a single malfunction. Most accurate 9mm I have ever owned.

Cool, man. That's reassuring. Thanks.

JHC
02-10-2022, 04:02 PM
I thought that the Staccato C was near that price point but perhaps not.

https://staccato2011.com/handguns/staccato-c/

Not sure that's a great comparison but weight within 3 ounces, quite different form factor but remotely similar insofar as a SA thumb safetied carry gun. One is production and the other semi-custom.

RAM Engineer
02-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Do these modern P210s have the unitized fire control group of the originals?

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 05:31 PM
Do these modern P210s have the unitized fire control group of the originals?

I think they do.

At least, I think the other American ones do. I was curious about this because I was wondering if I could tweak the trigger to be more than, like. 2.5lbs. Not sure it’s exactly like what it was on the Swiss ones, but I believe there’s some degree of modularity.

Tuefelhunden
02-10-2022, 05:34 PM
I dig it but us lefties need not apply apparently. Not sure if I should be mad or thankful about that at $1500.

Lon
02-10-2022, 05:41 PM
Bleh.

Needs optic cut and light rail.

Totem Polar
02-10-2022, 05:46 PM

Mine too. Especially with my state seemingly about to go all 10-round statist status.

;)

RevolverRob
02-10-2022, 05:55 PM
That's cool. I thought this thing was dead after they pulled it off the website awhile ago.

P210s are great shooting guns and this one is certainly interesting, given the price point. I know folks would say, "1500 isn't a good price point" - Isn't it though?

At this point you can't buy an original P210 for that. Arguably, you can't get a properly sized 9mm single-stack SAO gun for that money. Is it better than P365XL? Probably not.

But whatever.

4RNR
02-10-2022, 06:02 PM
Looks like a BrenTen/BUL/Tanfoglio/CZ-ish. Uber meh, especially with no ambi controls in 2022. For $1500 Id rather use those bills to light cigars, or just to burn for entertainment

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

farscott
02-10-2022, 06:27 PM
I am struggling with this as I like the idea of a slim 9x19 carry pistol but hate giving any money to SIG. I will probably buy a lightly used sample if my will holds and a new one if it does not. And I will never carry it, so it will be a range toy.

theJanitor
02-10-2022, 06:29 PM
I'm on the books for the Bruce Gray p210 with the light rail and magwell, etc. $1500 seems a bargain in comparison:o

kwb377
02-10-2022, 06:32 PM
If they're making a new frame for it, why not use some of their P365 magic dust and make it a 13 or 14 +1 gun? I can understand the lack of capacity concern on the target versions...but an 8+1 "full-ish" size 9mm carry gun? That is so 1993.

Blades
02-10-2022, 06:50 PM
A photo I grabbed from the Sig website:
https://i.imgur.com/IE1Ra93.png?1

Ichiban
02-10-2022, 07:58 PM
I wish they would adapt that safety to the P365. We know they can make a decent safety if they want to.

DrkBlue
02-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Me… I am waiting for the rainbow slide version and blinged up trigger.

jeep45238
02-10-2022, 09:01 PM
Definitely the kinda gun that interests me. Reports of broken guide rods and the crazy-light trigger kept from buying the standard model. I wonder if those things will change with this one.

The complete lack of consistency in the trigger (IE - neutral, negative, and positive hammer hook engagements in a sample of 3) - probably due to MIM sear/hammer, was enough to turn me off. For the price they charge, the guns should be far more consistent than that.

I really, really want it to succeed, but I don't know if it will.

Bergeron
02-10-2022, 10:04 PM
Bleh.

I...dunno? I mean, part me is hell-yes, optics and rail, but on the other hand...

A friendly, pretty, well-balanced gun has appeal. This is the sort of gun that could get exotic wood grips and engraving, while still staying very tasteful.

I dig the thumb safety, and I'm glad that Sig chose an aluminum frame. I'd probably have a Commander for myself, if I were going for an all-metal single stack in that price and size range, but I'm very happy Sig chose to move forward with this gun.

OlongJohnson
02-10-2022, 10:36 PM
I handled a couple at LGSs when I was geeking out on the full size a couple of years ago, before I started my downsizing.

Was significantly less than impressed. Reckoned a DW 1911 was a better value at the price point. Nothing obviously needing correcting out of the box. Then I did more research and got my head around the guide rod thing.

Zero interest.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 10:50 PM
The complete lack of consistency in the trigger (IE - neutral, negative, and positive hammer hook engagements in a sample of 3) - probably due to MIM sear/hammer, was enough to turn me off. For the price they charge, the guns should be far more consistent than that.

So it felt like the hammer and sear were engaging differently in the ones you tried?

I think the parts are definitely MIM. That’s no surprise. And I wouldn’t think that’d be an issue, in and of itself. But… I agree. For well over a grand, you should at least know what you’re getting, trigger wise.

The one I finger banged had such a light trigger, I dropped the hammer on accident. Twice. As far as how it felt, I couldn’t feel anything but… the potential for unintentional double taps.

MattyD380
02-10-2022, 11:03 PM
Then I did more research and got my head around the guide rod thing.

Zero interest.

I wonder if they’re using the same captured spring/rod assembly in the Carry. I mean, the dustcover is obviously shorter… so maybe they redesigned it for this one. And made it not suck.

OlongJohnson
02-10-2022, 11:06 PM

That's the kind of inconsistency that MIM parts should eliminate. Consistency is their strong point. It's just structural integrity (if not done right) and surface finishes (if not post-treated, and the point of MIM is promoted as being no post-treatment is required) that tend to be lacking.

David S.
02-10-2022, 11:12 PM
Bleh.

Getting warmer. Grayguns project with BruiserIndustries on the grams.

jeep45238
02-11-2022, 06:26 AM
So it felt like the hammer and sear were engaging differently in the ones you tried?

I think the parts are definitely MIM. That’s no surprise. And I wouldn’t think that’d be an issue, in and of itself. But… I agree. For well over a grand, you should at least know what you’re getting, trigger wise.

The one I finger banged had such a light trigger, I dropped the hammer on accident. Twice. As far as how it felt, I couldn’t feel anything but… the potential for unintentional double taps.

Yes. One had the same trigger feel you described, another one had positive hammer hook cuts (like a CZ75 where you can watch the hammer cam when working the trigger SA right before it drops), and the third felt "normal" for a lack of better terms (it's been a while - at the time, RSR had only P210's in stock for handguns - not even a base G19).

The parts were definitely MIM, had the little pocket from knocking out of the mold and all that. It looked really well machined and was smooth, but that inconsistence was enough to make me put it back.

Bergeron
02-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Getting warmer. Grayguns project with BruiserIndustries on the grams.

Man, Grayguns does elegant work. I've seen them add rails to a couple of different designs in ways that made it appear as "factory-designed" as humanly possible, and their HardTail mod for 1911s is mouth-watering.

S Jenks
02-11-2022, 10:24 AM
The first thing that ran through my mind was, “This will look really cool on their ‘discontinued firearms’ page.”

MattyD380
02-11-2022, 11:15 AM
Supposedly the P210 Standard (i.e., the plain-jane full-sized one without the target grips/sights) is "discontinued."

Yet Gunbroker is festooned with NIB P210 Standards.

Sammy1
02-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Looks great, I really want to shoot one. Disappointed a third mag isn't included for that price.

RevolverRob
02-11-2022, 12:08 PM
What are the "guide rod and trigger issues" exactly? We're on P-F. If you have info let's hear it.

Not every gun needs a rail and optics cut my dudes. That crap is starting to get old and is turning into the, "Does it take Glock mags?" Meme. The P210 carry is 3x the price of a P365 XL. It's not intended to be anything more than what it is, an update to an elegant weapon from a more civilized age. :rolleyes:

Why is Rob grumpy about this? There is a lot of NOISE in this thread, but some hints at SIGNAL. I want signal, because the P210 is a gun I'd like to have the Carry is an interesting model to me. I won't buy one tomorrow, but I'd like to know what I should be looking out for.

MattyD380
02-11-2022, 01:20 PM
What are the "guide rod and trigger issues" exactly? We're on P-F. If you have info let's hear it.

Not every gun needs a rail and optics cut my dudes. That crap is starting to get old and is turning into the, "Does it take Glock mags?" Meme. The P210 carry is 3x the price of a P365 XL. It's not intended to be anything more than what it is, an update to an elegant weapon from a more civilized age. :rolleyes:

Why is Rob grumpy about this? There is a lot of NOISE in this thread, but some hints at SIGNAL. I want signal, because the P210 is a gun I'd like to have the Carry is an interesting model to me. I won't buy one tomorrow, but I'd like to know what I should be looking out for.

Basically, the spring unit is a captured setup and the front part (that retains the spring) breaks off.

These kinda give an overview of the problem:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/recoil-spring-assembly-failure.415445/
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3060019464?csra=Y&f=430601935&a=tpc&m=3060019464&s=674608412

Here's a poll on Sigtalk about it--around 15% of the P210A owners (who responded) had the issue:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/have-you-had-problems-with-your-american-made-p210a.367902/
I mean, that's not great. That said... I'm inclined to think a higher percentage of the folks who had the issue replied to the poll... so... there's that.

This guy discovered he was missing the front piece of the assembly before he knew it was supposed to be a captured setup--fixed it, then had it happen again:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p210a-guide-rod-spring.316826/

There's plenty more references to it on Sig Forum and SigTalk. DPMS (?) makes a replacement setup that some seem to like. And... I have read the gun continues to function--more like a traditional non-captured recoil assembly--if the thing breaks.

Net: There's a good chance it won't break. And even if it does, the gun still probably will work fine and there are options for replacement. But the gun costs $1300 and we shouldn't be having this conversation at all.

And, for me, the ultra-light trigger sorta precluded its utility as carry/defensive option. So I decided to hold off. Honestly, I'd probably just opt for the full-size/all-steel model. But if the Carry offers a more practical trigger and a better spring setup... I guess I'd go that route, for those reasons.

JHC
02-11-2022, 01:45 PM
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/02/11/sig-sauer-releases-p210-carry/

It says "now shipping" so keep yer eyes peeled.

Navyguns
02-11-2022, 05:37 PM
I’m for it and will buy one. I’m really bored of pistols with rails. With all the tacticalness that’s permeated the gun industry it’s time we get some elegance, class and aesthetic beauty back.

jeep45238
02-11-2022, 07:05 PM
Supposedly the P210 Standard (i.e., the plain-jane full-sized one without the target grips/sights) is "discontinued."

Yet Gunbroker is festooned with NIB P210 Standards.

That's literally the only pistol we could order from distributors for months on end. That's called a clue to me (yes, we couldn't even get Canik's).

S Jenks
02-11-2022, 08:03 PM
The first thing that ran through my mind was, “This will look really cool on their ‘discontinued firearms’ page.”

And that’s not a dig at the pistol itself. It looks really fun, and if I had the funds I’d consider buying one.

It doesn’t seem to have quite the nostalgia or “must have!” power as the similarly-priced, also gentlemanly Python, which is selling like hotcakes.

I’m just wary over Sig’s habit of dropping designs from their product line, which inevitably turns into a lack of small parts, mags and aftermarket support. All gun companies do it eventually (S&W steel frames, for instance) but Sig introducing this after dropping the P239 and P225A1, which were substantially cheaper, doesn’t leave me with the warm and fuzzies.

Lon
02-11-2022, 09:15 PM

If you’re gonna hang the word “Carry” on a pistol, it should (I think) be set up for modern carry trends like optics and lights.

MandoWookie
02-11-2022, 09:59 PM
If you’re gonna hang the word “Carry” on a pistol, it should (I think) be set up for modern carry trends like optics and lights.

Why? What trend is it following? What is its competition? For some people RDS and WMLs are not preferred for carry, at least for them.

It is basically a 'retro' gun, like the new Springfield Hi-power, the new Pythons, or 1911s. Just slightly modernized to bring it to the same level as a 1980s custom gun.

Edit to add: Take for example peoples varied reactions to the new FN take on the High Power. You take it too far from the original, your market niche shrinks, and potential buyers question whether it just makes more sense to go with something else, if the initial draw was the 'romance' of the thing.

farscott
02-12-2022, 12:13 AM
The recoil spring assembly issue is an example of why I hate to give SIG any money as I despise the lack of transparency around the issue. The good news is the occurrence of the problem seemed to drop in 2020. The bad news is there is no way to tell if it stopped due to a change in the assembly for the better or if people stopped buying the 210A.

MattyD380
03-22-2022, 01:14 AM
The local chain range actually had one in the case. Had to check it out.

And I know I'm supposed to be cynical and jaded... but damn it was nice. It definitely felt/seemed smaller than the Standard. Which was a little surprising. The loss of an inch or so off the slide goes a long way. The fit and finish seemed excellent. And the grips were very nice... the perfect balance between not too thin and not too thick. Nice rounded contours, too.

The Standard I handled also tended to hang up as it was going into battery (hand cycling). This didn't. Very smooth racking. Went cleanly into battery.

The trigger is sill very light. But I wanna say it wasn't quite as light as what's on the Standard? Hard to tell for sure. But, since the trigger group can be adjusted (at least it can on the larger P210As) that might give you a bit more control over the pull.

I really wanted to see if Sig is using the same guide rod assembly in the Carry. Verdict: Inconclusive. I didn't take the gun down but, it seemed like a plain old rod--nothing really to suggest it was a captured setup. But, looking at pictures of the Standard/Target's captured guide rod, I'm not sure it would look any different than what I saw in the Carry. So, we'll see.

Hope to hear more about it and then, a few months down the road, I could see myself grabbing one.

MattyD380
03-22-2022, 10:21 AM
There's some new posts on SigTalk that seem to confirm the Carry uses a different recoil setup.

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p210-carry-recoil-spring-and-guide-rod.419941/#post-5948957

The first pics are from the 2020 prototype (so, not what's actually used on the Carry model shipping now); but if you scroll down, I think it shows what they're actually using in the production Carry model--which I'm 90% sure is different from what's used on the Standard/Target.

Ichiban
03-22-2022, 12:18 PM
The insufferable prick, er, uhm, I mean, James Reeves has a new video review up on it on the TFB channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7QIw-0ReU&t=2s

MattyD380
03-22-2022, 12:31 PM
The insufferable prick, er, uhm, I mean, James Reeves has a new video review up on it on the TFB channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7QIw-0ReU&t=2s

Yeah, I saw it. He said he had some issues with the slide hanging up in the first few rounds? Maybe because the slide was left locked open? Or something like that... I dunno.

Will wait for a larger sample size before making any judgements.

19852+
03-22-2022, 12:51 PM
Basically, the spring unit is a captured setup and the front part (that retains the spring) breaks off.

These kinda give an overview of the problem:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/recoil-spring-assembly-failure.415445/
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3060019464?csra=Y&f=430601935&a=tpc&m=3060019464&s=674608412

Here's a poll on Sigtalk about it--around 15% of the P210A owners (who responded) had the issue:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/have-you-had-problems-with-your-american-made-p210a.367902/
I mean, that's not great. That said... I'm inclined to think a higher percentage of the folks who had the issue replied to the poll... so... there's that.

This guy discovered he was missing the front piece of the assembly before he knew it was supposed to be a captured setup--fixed it, then had it happen again:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p210a-guide-rod-spring.316826/

There's plenty more references to it on Sig Forum and SigTalk. DPMS (?) makes a replacement setup that some seem to like. And... I have read the gun continues to function--more like a traditional non-captured recoil assembly--if the thing breaks.

Net: There's a good chance it won't break. And even if it does, the gun still probably will work fine and there are options for replacement. But the gun costs $1300 and we shouldn't be having this conversation at all.

And, for me, the ultra-light trigger sorta precluded its utility as carry/defensive option. So I decided to hold off. Honestly, I'd probably just opt for the full-size/all-steel model. But if the Carry offers a more practical trigger and a better spring setup... I guess I'd go that route, for those reasons.

I have one of the standard models since early 2019. I like it a lot and I've used in IDPA and I've experimented using for 2 gun competition. The three issues I've dealt with are:

1) guide rod, I read about issues with that and bought an aftermarket set up [Israeli made I think] non-captured and uses a 2nd spring much the same as a HK USP set up. It works and has been 100% reliable.
2) When doing a slide down "speed reload" the top round in the mag has moved forward and the mag must be stripped out. This also dislodges the top round which falls out after the mag is removed.
3) Trigger pull is very light. I view this as a training issue and it requires time with the gun before I consider it safe.

Overall I like it. I have some +1 mag extensions and with a 10mm shortening of the follower one can get 10 rounds. But, the stack is rather delicate and care must be taken that the top round isn't nose down when inserted. Which usually isn't a problem except when reloading from a mag pouch, the pouch will push the top round down while one runs and guns.
I still like it but my Colt .38 super still has it's job intact.

NGCSUGrad09
04-07-2022, 01:42 PM
I got to put quite a few rounds through one recently and wrote about it for Outdoor Life.

I'll be buying one of these. Would I carry it all the time, no. But is it a nice pistol that's fun to shoot and carry as a semi-BBQ gun...yes!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/sig-sauer-p210-review/

JonInWA
04-07-2022, 02:02 PM
I got to put quite a few rounds through one recently and wrote about it for Outdoor Life.

I'll be buying one of these. Would I carry it all the time, no. But is it a nice pistol that's fun to shoot and carry as a semi-BBQ gun...yes!

Nice review-thanks for sharing. I owned a 210-6, which was sold to finance my a Nighthawk Talon II custom spec .45. In retrospect, I probably just should have kept the P210, but no huge regret. If I still had it, I'd probably sell it-this time to finance an Alchemy Arms 9mm 1911 in their iteration of a Combat Commander.

I certainly appreciated the opportunity to own and use the P210-6, but other then the appreciation for the craftsmanship, accuracy and exquisite trigger it was more of a steppingstone for me. Yeah, I'm a heretic...

Best, Jon

JHC
04-08-2022, 07:42 AM

I know NGCSUGrad pretty well. Solid guy and one of a handful of the best pistol shooters I've shot with. I take his input as fact. I look forward to seeing my first 210 Carry.

JHC
06-20-2022, 03:27 PM
I handled one at my LGS Saturday. I was impressed. Fell in deep lust/love with it. So svelte. Glorious thumb safety and trigger.

Almost went there. But a 1301T is higher on the list

MattyD380
06-21-2022, 11:18 AM
I handled one at my LGS Saturday. I was impressed. Fell in deep lust/love with it. So svelte. Glorious thumb safety and trigger.

Almost went there. But a 1301T is higher on the list

Nice.

Yeah, I agree. The one I handled at my LGS seemed very nice.