PDA

View Full Version : Covid Experiences

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 08:57 AM
So they want to put my dad on a vent. Just maintaining his oxygen with Bpap.

On all the meds they normally give. Remdemsivir etc.

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?

ccmdfd
01-30-2022, 09:32 AM

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?

Very sorry to hear that. Hope and pray he does well.

I need to preface the next bit by stating that I haven't been doing critical care for the past 10 years, and have not been involved with the acute emergent care of covid at all, my focus is outpatient medicine.

Very difficult to answer your question without knowing the exact specifics of the situation. In general critical care physicians use BiPAP as a bridge to maintain someone on their own while you're waiting for something to work. That something can be antibiotics, steroids, Lasix, Etc. Hopefully they will work rather quickly.

If they're not working quickly in the person is just sitting there not improving on BiPAP, then you're faced with a difficult decision of either continuing with it for longer and seeing how things go or going ahead and placing them on a ventilator.

Remaining on BiPAP has certain issues. Patients typically can't eat or drink while on it. They may be tiring out the respiratory muscles. You can run into issues with too much pressure on the skin where the mask is.

And furthermore, most of all, if you wait until they completely tire out before putting them on the ventilator you've now created an emergent situation. And there is a much higher chance of having complications.

If you can put them on a ventilator in a more controlled, calm, elective situation, things tend to go better.

45dotACP
01-30-2022, 09:53 AM

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?Well I definitely can't like this post Newbie, but I will say a prayer for your father's recovery and well being.

The information you got from CCMFD is what I would say as well. Too much time on the BiPap can cause it's own set of problems.

You'll be in my thoughts man. Hang in there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys. We may have strong differences but I know we still support each other in tough times.

I just wanted to double check that I wasn’t missing anything. I trust the medical staff here but you know how it goes, you have to ask.

I actually feel bad for the overworked staff who have to enforce insane visitation rules that that likely do not agree with but get the brunt of the misdirected anger from families.

I’ll update everyone, and again thanks.

blues
01-30-2022, 10:02 AM
Hoping for the best, Newb.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 10:16 AM
So they want to try a heated bpap first. He is lucid.

If he wasn’t coughing so much I don’t think he would feel so bad.

Caballoflaco
01-30-2022, 10:42 AM
So they want to try a heated bpap first. He is lucid.

If he wasn’t coughing so much I don’t think he would feel so bad.

Newbie I’ll be thinking of your Pops and family.

Our own Sensei, who has been doing critical care for covid patients, also covered your earlier question in this post about the dangers of keeping people off of ventilators for too long.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?49007-COVID-19-vaccines-medical-concerns-and-recommendations&p=1313074&viewfull=1#post1313074

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks again.

They said his Bpap settings are normal except for oxygen at 100. They are trying the heated Bpap first and then see what happens. They also mentioned ECMO.

He was doing ok with Covid but suddenly developed a cough and went down hill. He’s not getting a lot worse but he’s not getting better.

Appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I may disagree with some of the pre Covid ideas people have but I do trust the medical personnel once a person gets to the hospital. It’s part of the reason I’ll say thank you, even to a nurse that’s not part of my father’s care.

Totem Polar
01-30-2022, 10:58 AM
TheNewbie I wish you and your dad the best of luck and grace with his treatment and recovery. I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 11:50 AM
TheNewbie I wish you and your dad the best of luck and grace with his treatment and recovery. I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

Thank you. My dad looks good, can talk some, but it’s simply an oxygen issue. I just at to seem intubated unless it’s the absolute best option. Still, if everyone is telling me the same thing, I tend to trust it.

My dad raised me to deal with tough stuff with a good attitude. He also raised me to question everything and seek know and truth. The questioning part has been a blessing and a curse, and an annoyance to many here and to my supervisors. lol

Clusterfrack
01-30-2022, 12:28 PM
Thank you. My dad looks good, can talk some, but it’s simply an oxygen issue. I just at to seem intubated unless it’s the absolute best option. Still, if everyone is telling me the same thing, I tend to trust it.

My dad raised me to deal with tough stuff with a good attitude. He also raised me to question everything and seek know and truth. The questioning part has been a blessing and a curse, and an annoyance to many here and to my supervisors. lol

Just saw this now, and want to add to what your other friends here have already said: I hope your dad’s condition improves, and will be checking in to hear your updates. Best wishes.

GyroF-16
01-30-2022, 12:36 PM
@ TheNewbie - You and your dad will be in my thoughts in the coming days.
I wish him strength and continued determination to deal with this.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 03:09 PM
So his BP is low so they can’t use lasixes . I wonder if I they lowered or removed the BP meds if that would allow the lasixes to be used.

I’m sure they are aware of this at the hospital and there is a good reason it isn’t happening, but again, I have to ask.

I would like for my wife to be able to see the lung x-rays but she told me that sometimes the X-rays don’t tell the full story of what is going on. Meaning the look can be deceiving.

45dotACP
01-30-2022, 03:24 PM
So his BP is low so they can’t use lasixes . I wonder if I they lowered or removed the BP meds if that would allow the lasixes to be used.

I’m sure they are aware of this at the hospital and there is a good reason it isn’t happening, but again, I have to ask.

I would like for my wife to be able to see the lung x-rays but she told me that sometimes the X-rays don’t tell the full story of what is going on. Meaning the look can be deceiving.

If the cough and low oxygen levels are sudden, I wonder if they have not already considered checking his D-dimer levels or running a CTA and Echocardiogram (a heart ultrasound) to rule out a clot of some sort? If his pressure is lower it could be a result of heart strain brought on by a large PE.

They probably check those labs daily (at least we do) and if they're abnormally high our doctors may automatically begin a treatment dose of a blood thinner (so long as there isn't a contraindication) even before going to a scan like a CTA.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 03:44 PM
If the cough and low oxygen levels are sudden, I wonder if they have not already considered checking his D-dimer levels or running a CTA and Echocardiogram (a heart ultrasound) to rule out a clot of some sort? If his pressure is lower it could be a result of heart strain brought on by a large PE.

They probably check those labs daily (at least we do) and if they're abnormally high our doctors may automatically begin a treatment dose of a blood thinner (so long as there isn't a contraindication) even before going to a scan like a CTA.

His levels are mostly good. When he arrived they did a scan and no signs of clots. Not sure about the echo.

We will ask tonight.

It really just seems to by the oxygen. Besides the quality staff at the hospital, we have my wife, a NP pulmonologist friend, and you guys watching. I always try to be humble when I talk to the staff because they are the heavy lifters doing the work everyday.

WobblyPossum
01-30-2022, 04:31 PM
I am hoping for a speedy recovery for your father TheNewbie.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 06:09 PM
Talked to my supervisor. His dad was in almost the exact situation, though even worse initially. Dad came in with 105 fever and 38 oxygen. My dad had 80s oxygen and a lower fever.

Of course even the exact same situation can have a different outcome for two different people. Plus my dad is about 10 years older being 76.

Bpap-100% and then heated Bpap ..... 11 days in icu. Now he’s on regular oxygen.

My dads nurse just said his Oxygen goes from 92 down to the 80s and that they would exhaust all options before vent.

David S.
01-30-2022, 06:39 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your fam. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

entropy
01-30-2022, 07:48 PM
Newb,

Thoughts and prayers to your Dad and family...

Rex G
01-30-2022, 07:50 PM
His levels are mostly good. When he arrived they did a scan and no signs of clots. Not sure about the echo.

We will ask tonight.

It really just seems to by the oxygen. Besides the quality staff at the hospital, we have my wife, a NP pulmonologist friend, and you guys watching. I always try to be humble when I talk to the staff because they are the heavy lifters doing the work everyday.

Talked to my supervisor. His dad was in almost the exact situation, though even worse initially. Dad came in with 105 fever and 38 oxygen. My dad had 80s oxygen and a lower fever.

Of course even the exact same situation can have a different outcome for two different people. Plus my dad is about 10 years older being 76.

Bpap-100% and then heated Bpap ..... 11 days in icu. Now he’s on regular oxygen.

My dads nurse just said his Oxygen goes from 92 down to the 80s and that they would exhaust all options before vent.

Prayers up, for your dad.

HeavyDuty
01-30-2022, 08:26 PM

Prayers to him, you and your family. We may all bicker around the table but in the end we are all tribe.

TheNewbie
01-30-2022, 08:48 PM
Appreciate everyone’s help and support.

Things are about the same now. Breaths per minute around range from 14-25. Still on hi flow oxygen. He’s lucid but obviously feels horrible.

Extra Air space around his lungs, but no signs of clots or fluid. Normal white blood cell count. Heated breathing treatments every six hours.

Yes we may still differ on things, but everyone will support each other. Heavy, hope your mother is doing better.

My mother had it a couple of weeks ago, 70 years old, and she had not even what would be classified as a bad cold. She seems to be almost totally fine, other than her energy is a little lower (not much just a little) than before, and the cold air hurts her lungs a bit, though not severely.

My dad is having a hard time drinking or eating, so that’s an issue.

YVK
01-30-2022, 09:57 PM
Best wishes to your father, Newbie.

TheNewbie
01-31-2022, 12:37 PM
He seems “slightly” better today.

They tried to sedate him but his heart rate got too low. Took him off of that and he’s better now. Heart rate- 75 Oxygen -94 (on 100% bi-pap) breaths per minute in the 20s

He finally ate a bit.

Extreme discomfort in nose from the forced air.

Nurse had a more slightly positive than negative outlook.

My dads case is eerily similar to my supervisors dad. But his dad is coming home tomorrow so I can only hope my dads goes the same.

ER doctor friend recommended pushing bi-pap as long as possible vs vent, but he also said when they get that bad he’s not the one treating them.

The support I’ve received both here and in person has been humbling.

I have a lot of thoughts about all this that I’ll write up when the outcome is known. We may still disagree on some things but I know we are working towards the same goal of wanting people to be well. Like I say, I have a lot of thoughts now, even more so than before.

One thing I’m impressed with is the level of patience and knowledge the nursing staff has.

Bigguy
01-31-2022, 12:41 PM
He seems “slightly” better today.One thing I’m impressed with is the level of patience and knowledge the nursing staff has.

One thing working at an ER has done is given me a tremendous amount of respect for nurses.

TheNewbie
01-31-2022, 03:55 PM
I was over with my mom and he called. To say he was loopy is to understate it, but him talking for 30 seconds is a plus. He sounded better (not good but better) than anytime since Friday. The red heeler/collie/mutt mix seems to be curious where he’s at.

Breathing was not great but better and cough was much less.

My supervisor’s dad had the exact same thing. So if anyone else has family going through this, it might be “normal”. However the medical personnel here that see these people everyday would know better what normal looks like.

Nephrology
01-31-2022, 05:16 PM
I was over with my mom and he called. To say he was loopy is to understate it, but him talking for 30 seconds is a plus. He sounded better (not good but better) than anytime since Friday. The red heeler/collie/mutt mix seems to be curious where he’s at.

Breathing was not great but better and cough was much less.

My supervisor’s dad had the exact same thing. So if anyone else has family going through this, it might be “normal”. However the medical personnel here that see these people everyday would know better what normal looks like.

Really sorry to hear about your dad. Regrettably it is pretty normal for people who have had severe COVID-19 to take a very long time to recover. It sounds like your father's lungs have unfortunately been pretty significantly injured by the virus and his lung function is pretty significantly impaired at this time.

Likely a very long road ahead. From what you've written I would guess he will be in the hospital for a while longer, and likely need to be discharged to some sort of rehab facility afterwards to help him recover from having been so sick for so long. Just want to be open so these possibilities are on your radar.

Will keep him in my thoughts, let me know if I can be of any help

TheNewbie
02-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Stomach bugs are the most sick I’ve ever been.

My dad is being brought down on how much more oxygen he needs, at 80% now with heated hi flow and a rebreather for a break. He’s more alert, called my mom last night.

Vitals signs good, limbs are fine, organ function good.

He’s on diuretics to prevent fluid build up on lungs.

Doctor cautioned that things can change for the bad, but right now he seemed hopeful and said my dad is heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the support.

Clusterfrack
02-01-2022, 12:29 PM
Good news, TheNewbie!

Jared
02-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Covid has got to be the strangest disease I’ve ever encountered. Here’s my families story:

Jan 1 wife tells me she suddenly cannot taste. Tests on Jan 3 and she’s positive for Covid. We’re both vaxxed. I never distance myself from her (probably stupid but by that point I was pretty sure if I was gonna get it from her I was gonna get it). She recovered her taste and smell in a week without issue. I never got sick and neither did our kid.

January 24 I went to work at 0530 feeling perfectly fine. By 11AM I was sent home due to fever and generally not feeling well. There was just no way I had Covid (note my wife tested positive 3 weeks before and I never had a single symptom. To make my employer happy I took a test on Jan 25. Took 3 days to get results and I came back positive. I had 3 days of fever plus two more days of the worst bout of sore throat I’ve ever had. Plenty of congestion in my sinuses and a cough too. This time the kiddo got sick too, similar symptoms to mine except no fever for her. Kid is all healed up now too.

I’m finally going back to work tomorrow. I’m all recovered except the cough which I’ve been told can linger for a bit. So two breakthrough infections in my home 3 weeks apart plus the kid who hasn’t been vaccinated yet due to age. I don’t know what to say at this point except I’m grateful it wasn’t any worse on us than it was. This is the third time I’ve noticed the kid follows me when it comes to getting sick. For some reason she tends to not get sick when her mom/my wife does, but let me fall I’ll and she’ll have near identical symptoms within 48 hours.

Welder
02-01-2022, 11:39 PM
Newbie, glad your Dad is doing better. Haven't piled on with the commenting about it until now, but just wanted to say.

I'm stuck at home with it now. I think I've had it since last Thursday, similar to stated above. I had kinda mild fevers at night, mild enough that I didn't really think about them til later. I just kicked the blanket off and was fine. Then got a sore throat that, as above, was the worst one I've ever had. Impossible to ignore. On the 3rd day of that I went to the store and got a box of Allegra-D and the next day it was mostly better, then the day after that completely better. So I was like, OK, I had a cold. Then the next day at lunch I bit into a cheeseburger and couldn't taste it. Took a drink of Dr Pepper, yep, no taste. That was Monday. So today I forced myself to stay home all day and I am bored SILLY. I feel perfectly fine again, just a little stopped up in the sinuses but not bad. Coughed a teensy bit of stuff out of my lungs Saturday, but after that nothing and they feel empty now.

I haven't taken a test yet because I feel like it's a waste of time. I haven't had a fever since Saturday when I realized I needed to be checking myself, and my oxygen level stays at 96% on this doohickey that my parents gave me last Fall "just in case." I was vaccinated with Pfizer in August, no boosters and not really feeling an urge for them either.

Dog Guy
02-02-2022, 12:03 PM
Covid has got to be the strangest disease I’ve ever encountered. Here’s my families story:

Jan 1 wife tells me she suddenly cannot taste. Tests on Jan 3 and she’s positive for Covid. We’re both vaxxed. I never distance myself from her (probably stupid but by that point I was pretty sure if I was gonna get it from her I was gonna get it). She recovered her taste and smell in a week without issue. I never got sick and neither did our kid.

January 24 I went to work at 0530 feeling perfectly fine. By 11AM I was sent home due to fever and generally not feeling well. There was just no way I had Covid (note my wife tested positive 3 weeks before and I never had a single symptom. To make my employer happy I took a test on Jan 25. Took 3 days to get results and I came back positive. I had 3 days of fever plus two more days of the worst bout of sore throat I’ve ever had. Plenty of congestion in my sinuses and a cough too. This time the kiddo got sick too, similar symptoms to mine except no fever for her. Kid is all healed up now too.

I’m finally going back to work tomorrow. I’m all recovered except the cough which I’ve been told can linger for a bit. So two breakthrough infections in my home 3 weeks apart plus the kid who hasn’t been vaccinated yet due to age. I don’t know what to say at this point except I’m grateful it wasn’t any worse on us than it was. This is the third time I’ve noticed the kid follows me when it comes to getting sick. For some reason she tends to not get sick when her mom/my wife does, but let me fall I’ll and she’ll have near identical symptoms within 48 hours.

My sore throat was the worst one I've had in a long time. Last Monday night, things kicked off with an irritating cough and sort of sore throat. Negative home test Tuesday morning. The cough mostly went away Tuesday with just an occasional hack, no production. Overnight Wednesday my throat hurt so bad it was hard to sleep and I decided I must have strep or something instead of covid. Tested positive at home Thursday morning. I think Tylenol helped the throat. My only fever was about 1 degree for a few hours Thursday evening.

Things got notably better by Friday morning. No more sore throat, minor congestion, generally feeling good all around. The cough moved from my throat into my chest and I have a little chest tightness but nothing special and I don't get winded doing easy indoor bike stuff so I expect that to resolve without drama.

My only plot complication is I home tested positive again on Monday evening, so a week after symptom onset and 3-1/2 days after first positive test. Other than that I'd meet the guidelines for ending isolation at the five day after onset mark. I'm laying low for a couple more days.

Mrs. DG has not gotten sick at all.

TheNewbie
02-04-2022, 07:47 PM
So my dad is a little weaker today and they had to increase his oxygen. He is still on heated hi flow and sometimes uses the non rebreather.

The nurse caring for him today was less optimistic and thinks things are degrading and mentioned the vent but the Intensivist seemed “more” optimistic today and basically says he should get better and didn’t see the vent in his future.

His oxygen would go down, even hitting the 60s at times, during hard coughing fits, but is otherwise doing well if he’s not coughing.

We’ve talked to him several times today, and while he has what sounds like a dry cough, he can talk for several minutes.

We were warned that set backs may happen but it’s still stressful to deal with. Hopefully it’s one step back and two step forward.

Just an update, and I’m open to any advice from the medical staff, or anyone else with a good idea.

HeavyDuty
02-04-2022, 08:12 PM
So my dad is a little weaker today and they had to increase his oxygen. He is still on heated hi flow and sometimes uses the non rebreather.

The nurse caring for him today was less optimistic and thinks things are degrading and mentioned the vent but the Intensivist seemed “more” optimistic today and basically says he should get better and didn’t see the vent in his future.

His oxygen would go down, even hitting the 60s at times, during hard coughing fits, but is otherwise doing well if he’s not coughing.

We’ve talked to him several times today, and while he has what sounds like a dry cough, he can talk for several minutes.

We were warned that set backs may happen but it’s still stressful to deal with. Hopefully it’s one step back and two step forward.

Just an update, and I’m open to any advice from the medical staff, or anyone else with a good idea.

Continued prayers, Newbie…

TheNewbie
02-04-2022, 11:57 PM
Continued prayers, Newbie…

Thanks.

Things have improved tonight and he’s about like last night, so better. I am told it’s just a long process.

Is your mother better?

0ddl0t
02-05-2022, 12:02 AM
Sorry to hear your dad is sick Newbie, hope he gets well soon!

HeavyDuty
02-05-2022, 01:06 AM
Thanks.

Things have improved tonight and he’s about like last night, so better. I am told it’s just a long process.

Is your mother better?

We moved her to skilled nursing for physical rehab. She seems to be past the Covid except for persistent shortness of breath. She’s not in isolation anymore. Thanks for asking.

RoyGBiv
02-05-2022, 05:31 AM
I have no data for this, but I would guess the US is significantly more obese than Norway, just becaisecthe US IS significantly more obese than almost everyone.

I'm also willing to bet that Norway didn't put actively infected patients back into their nursing homes either.

0ddl0t
02-06-2022, 04:56 PM
Went ahead with it, identifying as immunocomprimised to put the tech at ease. We will see, I guess.

Anything to report so far? I just got my 2nd booster this morning and haven't felt a thing yet. The pharmacy didn't fill out my cdc card last time so I just acted as though I was getting my first boost. They did fill out the cdc card this time though...

JAD
02-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Anything to report so far? I just got my 2nd booster this morning and haven't felt a thing yet. The pharmacy didn't fill out my cdc card last time so I just acted as though I was getting my first boost. They did fill out the cdc card this time though...

40 hours in, side effects more or less consistent with the first three shots — some aches and tiredness, didn’t stop me from serving at mass, taking the boy on a train tour, or doing a two mile scout hike. If anything it’s milder. Haven’t grown a third tit, little disappointed.

Totem Polar
02-07-2022, 12:16 AM
40 hours in, side effects more or less consistent with the first three shots — some aches and tiredness, didn’t stop me from serving at mass, taking the boy on a train tour, or doing a two mile scout hike. If anything it’s milder. Haven’t grown a third tit, little disappointed.

What, the two you have already don’t keep you entertained?
;)

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 07:07 PM
So I have Covid (home test and PCR confirmed) right now. Not fun, but so far, I’ve had much worse stuff.

My wife is feeling aches, has a fever (she almost never gets it) of around 99-100, chills, lethargy, nasal stuff . Yet she tested negative with a home test yesterday and today with a PCR test.

Have you all seen many false negatives?

Le Français
02-08-2022, 07:11 PM
So I have Covid (home test and PCR confirmed) right now. Not fun, but so far, I’ve had much worse stuff.

My wife is feeling aches, has a fever (she almost never gets it) of around 99-100, chills, lethargy, nasal stuff . Yet she tested negative with a home test yesterday and today with a PCR test.

I've heard from several people who tested negative shortly after the onset of symptoms, only to test positive in the following days. Get better soon.

Dog Guy
02-08-2022, 07:34 PM

After symptom onset: negative at 12 hours, positive at 60 hours, positive again at 168 hours (7 days). Symptoms drastically improved from 72 hours to 84 hours and I felt mostly fine when the 2nd positive came up.

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 07:53 PM
Thanks.

Just no way she doesn’t have it. At this point shevseems to be doing better with it than I have, but my mom did better than my dad. Apparently my dad is in his icu room writing protocols on how to handle Covid patients. lol Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

So far it’s not been terrible for me, but the chills I had Sunday were crazy. My teeth where chattering like one of those wind up plastic toy teeth things. I could have swam in the the Sun and I still would have been cold.

At this point it’s not as bad as the swine flu, or even a stomach bug. Hopefully it stays that way.

HeavyDuty
02-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Best of luck dealing with this to you and your wife, Newbie.

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 08:13 PM
Best of luck dealing with this to you and your wife, Newbie.

Thanks. If everything works out we will have pretty good natural immunity. I don’t mean the flippantly or arrogantly, I know Covid can turn bad for even the healthy and that everyone has different risk factors they can take.

The most annoying part so far is the fever goes away and comes back and goes away and comes back.

Still, as I said, it’s not as bad *for me* as the time I had full blown “stomach flu” for a week. That was the most miserable I’ve ever been. So unless it changes, which is possible, I’ve been in worse.

David S.
02-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Thanks. If everything works out we will have pretty good natural immunity. I don’t mean the flippantly or arrogantly, I know Covid can turn bad for even the healthy and that everyone has different risk factors they can take.

The most annoying part so far is the fever goes away and comes back and goes away and comes back.

Still, as I said, it’s not as bad *for me* as the time I had full blown “stomach flu” for a week. That was the most miserable I’ve ever been. So unless it changes, which is possible, I’ve been in worse.

Maybe I missed it, How's your dad doing?

rayrevolver
02-08-2022, 09:00 PM
Thanks.

Just no way she doesn’t have it. At this point shevseems to be doing better with it than I have, but my mom did better than my dad. Apparently my dad is in his icu room writing protocols on how to handle Covid patients. lol Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

What is her blood type?

I ask because my wife and her best friend, both O POS, lived in houses with kids/spouses who tested positive and never got it. They did not quarantine from the kids whatsoever.

My son slept in bed with us EVERY NIGHT! It seemed like allergies were kicking in for me and I didn't think anything of it. When I lost my sense of taste/smell, I knew I was hosed and went to get a test. After I tested positive, I slept in a different room but didn't really quarantine from my wife during the day, she figured she had it as well. The first days after I thought it was allergies we continued to kiss/etc... and she still never got it. She took multiple tests at a clinic, we did not have access to home tests. Always negative.

Not a doctor or work in this field, but it seemed weird and almost impossible for her not to catch it. And then to hear her friend had the same thing happen with the same blood type.

Who knows??? Hope you and your family get through this safely.

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Maybe I missed it, How's your dad doing?

Well he doesn’t feel great but he’s stable. Still requiring hi flow oxygen, but he’s alert and the Doc said still not looking at the vent. He’s coming up with protocols for how to handle ICU Covid patients. lol I’m blessed with a great father, but he’s intense with stuff like this, and him “fighting the system” by writing up new protocols is him being himself.

The nurses like him, and one of his favorite nurses is a Democrat. So he probably really enjoys going back and forth with her and she with him.

Just to be clear, I did not catch Covid on purpose. It simply just happened. In the hospital I even put a mask, gown, and gloves on to visit my dad. While I still do not believe in the efficacy of masks alone, I though it that particular setting, why not try the whole garb. As soon as I started feeling bad and had fever, I stayed away from the public and I’m still doing so.

This is not fun, but like I’ve said a few times, it’s far from the worst thing I’ve had at this point. I’ll even be open, I’ll admit it’s a bit scary. Even I have been affected by the constant media onslaught and my own tendencies towards over awareness of myself. Now I may not need to be afraid given my risk factors, and likely recover, but I’m being open. There are no guarantees that I’ll recover, but I hope my wife and I do.

.....okay I’m probably trying too hard to be humble. lol Just don’t want to come as arrogant about catching it, as if I’m some super dude. I’m not, and I know that others have vastly different views than me.

I didn’t catch it on purpose, we probably still disagree on most things pre hospital Covid but I deeply appreciate all the support, I’m happy to get natural immunity if everything works out , I’m not a fun patient, and I’m ready to get rid of this sore throat!

One issue I have is that I don’t think I’m eating enough. It’s not like I don’t have an appetite but it’s like I’m apathetic to whether I eat or not. That’s odd for me. It might explain why I feel “weak” even though my O2 is fine and breathing is mostly normal.

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 09:31 PM
What is her blood type?

I ask because my wife and her best friend, both O POS, lived in houses with kids/spouses who tested positive and never got it. They did not quarantine from the kids whatsoever.

My son slept in bed with us EVERY NIGHT! It seemed like allergies were kicking in for me and I didn't think anything of it. When I lost my sense of taste/smell, I knew I was hosed and went to get a test. After I tested positive, I slept in a different room but didn't really quarantine from my wife during the day, she figured she had it as well. The first days after I thought it was allergies we continued to kiss/etc... and she still never got it. She took multiple tests at a clinic, we did not have access to home tests. Always negative.

Not a doctor or work in this field, but it seemed weird and almost impossible for her not to catch it. And then to hear her friend had the same thing happen with the same blood type.

Who knows??? Hope you and your family get through this safely.

My wife is O Pos, but so am I and so is my whole family.

My wife having the symptoms I have makes me think it’s almost impossible for her not to have it.

Breathing exercises, vitamins, the meds no one likes lol, hydration, rest, moving around, having a good spirit, and praying to God (I ask for Gods help but I’m not so arrogant as to think He loves me more than the next guy....don’t want it to come off that way) has been my prescription so far. My family doc called me in a antibiotic and steroid. I coughed a small amount of stuff up and my wife said she heard one or two rough spots in my lungs. Nothing too major so far.

4RNR
02-08-2022, 10:07 PM

That's what mine was. First evening temp went to 39.8 for a couple hours then normal later in the evening. Second evening went to around 39.5 then back to normal later in the evening. Each time lasting 2-3 hours. Then done! Aside from a slightly runny nose for day 3 into day 4 that was my exposure to Delta

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
02-08-2022, 10:14 PM
That's what mine was. First evening temp went to 39.8 for a couple hours then normal later in the evening. Second evening went to around 39.5 then back to normal later in the evening. Each time lasting 2-3 hours. Then done! Aside from a slightly runny nose for day 3 into day 4 that was my exposure to Delta

Yea my fever was 101 this morning, 98 during the day, now 99.6. This day 4 or 5 for me with fever. Sunday was the only day of mostly fever but this is odd from my experience.

4RNR
02-08-2022, 10:31 PM
Yea my fever was 101 this morning, 98 during the day, now 99.6. This day 4 or 5 for me with fever. Sunday was the only day of mostly fever but this is odd from my experience.

It is odd. My first symptom on the first day was slight soreness..... entire body. The next two days just the slight temp in the evening. Then the runny nose. Symptoms came one at a time. But overall I felt like I could go and play a game of catch. In fact since my parents were also sick we cooked thanksgiving dinner and I pigged out a bit. Im the only person I know that actually gained weight while sick. 10lbs! [emoji3525]. Went from 203 to 213 and months later still can't loose it

98z28
02-09-2022, 10:40 AM
It is odd. My first symptom on the first day was slight soreness..... entire body. The next two days just the slight temp in the evening. Then the runny nose. Symptoms came one at a time. But overall I felt like I could go and play a game of catch. In fact since my parents were also sick we cooked thanksgiving dinner and I pigged out a bit. Im the only person I know that actually gained weight while sick. 10lbs! [emoji3525]. Went from 203 to 213 and months later still can't loose it

My fever would come and go for eight days with both go-rounds with COVID. It’s frustrating to start getting back to work only to get put down again. And I say that knowing many others had, and are having, a much harder time. I’m just empathizing with you. As someone who just doesn’t get sick, this one was different. My wife and I still have consistent drainage one month later, though our sense of smell seems to be pretty much back to normal.

TheNewbie
02-09-2022, 10:46 AM
My fever would come and go for eight days with both go-rounds with COVID. It’s frustrating to start getting back to work only to get put down again. And I say that knowing many others had, and are having, a much harder time. I’m just empathizing with you. As someone who just doesn’t get sick, this one was different. My wife and I still have consistent drainage one month later, though our sense of smell seems to be pretty much back to normal.

I’m on day five, and so far I haven’t lost sense of smell or taste. Woke up around 0530 with 99.6, ate my ibuprofen/Tylenol, meds and vitamins, went back to bed, woke up around 0900 chilled and soaked in sweat with a temp of 98. Right now I feel pretty great.

Cough is worse when I first wake up, but it’s not that bad and there is no real consistency to it. This is either one of the odder sicknesses I’ve ever had, or I’m just more hyper aware.

My energy level feels better right now, but we will see how it goes as the day progresses.

Sunday was the worst day, like I said, I couldn’t get warm. I knew I was feeling better that night when all of a sudden I was sweaty and hot, and going my temp had dropped some.

MK11
02-09-2022, 11:09 AM
Recently had my first real travel in over two years. Flew New York to San Francisco, 24 hour layover, then flew to Hawaii for week-long work event. Masked up on planes, of course, and indoors, most of the social functions were outside and unmasked. Part of a party of four, all vaxxed and boosted, three Pfizer, one Moderna. To get into Hawaii you had to show proof of vaccine or recent negative Covid test.

I didn't think there was anyway we wouldn't get Omicron but a week later we are all symptom-free and continue to test negative.

4RNR
02-09-2022, 11:16 AM

I just realized I wrote fever temperature in Celsius. I use an ancient thermometer and just got used to saying it like everyone knows.
To translate that into fahrenheit.....the first evening of the fever, it maxed out at 100. The second evening 99.5. so basically low grade for two days a few hours each day.

My mom, 63, normal height/weight, no medical prescriptions, active, unvaccinated, had basically the same symptoms as I only she had fatigue for a few days and a distorted sense of smell. Anything pork smelled like shit and made her nauseous.

My dad 66, avg size/overweight lots of life long co morbidities and lots of long term prescriptions, pace maker, nitro,.... list is a mile long. Had mRNA in March, no boosters. His symptoms were just a week long low grade fever that came and went.

No to take anything away from others who have had a hard time but I think it's important to show both sides because all it ever looks and sounds like is covid is a death sentence.

Clusterfrack
02-09-2022, 05:19 PM
There are now 3 Covid-related threads.
COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations
(https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?49007-COVID-19-vaccines-medical-concerns-and-recommendations)
COVID- Politics, vaccines, lockdowns, et al. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?49006-COVID-Politics-vaccines-lockdowns-et-al)

Covid Experiences (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?51571-Covid-Experiences)

RoyGBiv
02-09-2022, 05:48 PM
Clusterfrack

That could not have been a simple/fast split.

Thanks for taking on the work involved.

TheNewbie
02-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Sore throat leaves, mostly dry cough arrives.

Fever staying low to non existent. I’m taking Tylenol and ibuprofen every 12 hours now (vs every 4-6) and my temperature gets to 98.9 before I take the next dose. 98.9 is not fever but it’s a bit high for me and is generally on its way to fever.

So far it’s still not as bad for me as the swine flu or stomach bugs, but it’s worse than when I had flu in 2020.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-10-2022, 08:51 AM
Just read this, best wishes and hopes for you and yours!

TheNewbie
02-10-2022, 09:29 AM
So my Covid experience is not all that remarkable, and probably pretty normal. I’m posting out of boredom, maybe it can help someone, just in case I’m missing any warning signs of something more serious, and it keeps me focused on something besides being stuck at home.

You know you’re getting bored when you’re excited about taking your wife to get another Covid test, and you don’t want to shower and shave in the morning because you want something to make your afternoon a little more exciting.

It’s times like this when I wished I liked to watch TV and movies.

JohnO
02-10-2022, 10:03 AM
My wife tested positive (1Hr PCR test) on Christmas morning. She had a fever, wicked sore throat, barking cough and congested sinuses. The Doc used the test he did due to her previous cancer diagnosis and because she was only a few weeks out from 25 days of radiation. It took her the entire month of January and a couple days into Feb before her sinuses finally opened up.

I did not isolate. I slept in the bed next to her. We had 5 kids in the house, 4 ours and one guest, my son and his girlfriend came from California for Christmas. A few evenings before Christmas my wife got a phone call. Her hair dresser who had done her hair the day before had tested positive and called to tell her.

Within a few days of Christmas 4 more of us in the house developed the exact same symptoms my wife had. I being the one in closest contact got tested - Negative on a rapid antigen test. My oldest daughter appeared to have a robust case. At this time getting tested was difficult the centers were overwhelmed. My neighbor had 2 home tests and he gave me one. My daughter tested positive on the home kit. Now we had 2 people in the house positive.

I found a testing center 45 minutes from home and the first opening was 4 days out and at 21:30. After registering online I saw you could add people to the appointment. I added my youngest daughter & son. Come the day of the test my daughter said, "I'm too sick to go out. It's obvious I have it. I have all the symptoms mom and sis have. There is no point in me going". My son was not as sick but had the symptoms. I had the symptoms too. I got everyone to go and we all tested NEGATIVE. I pretty much lost faith in the testing process and will not waste my time again.

My youngest son got another Covid test at his doctor's office along with a rapid strep test due to his wicked sore throat. Negative on both. He did that because he was about to ship off to Boot Camp.

The two people in my house who never developed symptoms were my son and his girlfriend from California. She shared a room with my younger daughter and my two sons slept in their old room in their bunk beds. Both my older son and his girlfriend were unvaccinated. Everyone else in the house had Pfizer X2 and were un-boosted.

I now suspect I have had Covid-19 twice. Christmas 2019 into Jan 1, 2020 I was sick as a dog with flu like symptoms. Shortly thereafter Covid was "discovered" and then determined to was probably around as early as November 2019 or earlier. Then this past Christmas the latest variant. I heard many cases of people needing three+ tests to get a positive or negative nasal swabs but a positive throat swab. Either way I don't know for sure but I do fell strongly I had it.

Bigguy
02-10-2022, 02:54 PM
We've got a couple of house dogs. We keep dry food out for them to eat as much as they want, when they want. Once a day I give them their "Treat" which is a portion of canned dog food.
A couple of months back, one of them stopped eating his treat. I'd put him outside with a bowl and he would take no more than a bite. I'd put it in the refrigerator and try again the next day. This went on for a couple of weeks before he started eating his treat again.
That's about the time the wife and I both came down with Covid. We both lost most of our senses of taste and smell. That was just after Christmas and we still don't have it back completely. Lordy I miss the taste of coffee. Then it finally occurred to me that the reason the dog would only take a bite from his treat may have been that he couldn't smell or taste it. I never had him tested, but I'm convinced he had Covid.
I didn't notice him acting like he felt bad, but as they mostly lay around a sleep all day anyway I probably wouldn't have noticed.

TheNewbie
02-10-2022, 06:25 PM
My wife tested positive (1Hr PCR test) on Christmas morning. She had a fever, wicked sore throat, barking cough and congested sinuses. The Doc used the test he did due to her previous cancer diagnosis and because she was only a few weeks out from 25 days of radiation. It took her the entire month of January and a couple days into Feb before her sinuses finally opened up.

I did not isolate. I slept in the bed next to her. We had 5 kids in the house, 4 ours and one guest, my son and his girlfriend came from California for Christmas. A few evenings before Christmas my wife got a phone call. Her hair dresser who had done her hair the day before had tested positive and called to tell her.

Within a few days of Christmas 4 more of us in the house developed the exact same symptoms my wife had. I being the one in closest contact got tested - Negative on a rapid antigen test. My oldest daughter appeared to have a robust case. At this time getting tested was difficult the centers were overwhelmed. My neighbor had 2 home tests and he gave me one. My daughter tested positive on the home kit. Now we had 2 people in the house positive.

I found a testing center 45 minutes from home and the first opening was 4 days out and at 21:30. After registering online I saw you could add people to the appointment. I added my youngest daughter & son. Come the day of the test my daughter said, "I'm too sick to go out. It's obvious I have it. I have all the symptoms mom and sis have. There is no point in me going". My son was not as sick but had the symptoms. I had the symptoms too. I got everyone to go and we all tested NEGATIVE. I pretty much lost faith in the testing process and will not waste my time again.

My youngest son got another Covid test at his doctor's office along with a rapid strep test due to his wicked sore throat. Negative on both. He did that because he was about to ship off to Boot Camp.

The two people in my house who never developed symptoms were my son and his girlfriend from California. She shared a room with my younger daughter and my two sons slept in their old room in their bunk beds. Both my older son and his girlfriend were unvaccinated. Everyone else in the house had Pfizer X2 and were un-boosted.

I now suspect I have had Covid-19 twice. Christmas 2019 into Jan 1, 2020 I was sick as a dog with flu like symptoms. Shortly thereafter Covid was "discovered" and then determined to was probably around as early as November 2019 or earlier. Then this past Christmas the latest variant. I heard many cases of people needing three+ tests to get a positive or negative nasal swabs but a positive throat swab. Either way I don't know for sure but I do fell strongly I had it.

Everybody recover well?

Guess I have sundowners fever. Wake up with very mild fever, it returns in the evenings mild.

The cough is at its worst today, dry and largely unproductive. Oxygen and vitals are fine but cough is annoying. My wife says my lungs sound better today than yesterday.

Cleaned up my parents yard, played with the dog, did a few dishes and now I’m not exactly spent, but I don’t have a lot of energy for much else.

JohnO
02-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Everybody recover well?

Yes with a caveat. My wife has been through the ringer since June with her breast cancer diagnosis. Her most recent surgery was this past Sunday. Having Covid not long after 25 days of radiation plus during the holidays was more than she needed. At two or three weeks into January and still having congested sinuses her Doc suspected a sinus infection and put her on antibiotics. That helped.

This week she is at home taking it easy trying to recover from all of the above but primarily Sunday's surgery.

FYI for the record both my wife and oldest daughter have blood type. O Pos.

karandom
02-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Contributing my sample size of 3 infections to the cause.

We picked it up from visiting my wife's family. Her dad drove us home from the airport and ate lunch with us and ended up testing positive later in the day.

FIL: early 60's, vaxxed and recently boosted with Moderna and a cancer survivor (decade plus removed). He had very minor sniffles which we noticed after a few hours and thankfully had some tests around and popped positive. He wouldn't have noticed but the wife is a doctor so more attuned to the symptoms and had him take a test as there is an 95 year old grandma in the area we are trying to be extra vigilant with. Nothing more then a mild cold or what he described as feeling like seasonal allergies. Wouldn't have even noticed if we didn't say anything. Resolved within a few days, no issues.

Wife: 32, vaxxed and boosted with Pfizer. Starting feeling sick a few days after we got home and tested positive immediately. Got hit with really bad fatigue for 2 days then a few days of cold symptoms, but better inside of a week.

Me, 34 vaxxed and boosted with Pfizer. Assumed I would have caught from FIL, so didn't bother isolating. Was fine for over a week after wife tested positive and finally stated to feel sick. Really bad sore throat for 2 days with congestion. Sore throat cleared after the bad 2 days, had 2 more days of congestion then, but was otherwise fine. I've had worse colds by a long shot.

A few takeaways. Wife and FIL tested positive as soon as they felt bad. I knew I wasn't feeling well for a few days until I showed a positive hit. I now look at the testing as a means to confirm Covid infection rather then definitely ruling out while feeling sick. Wife was hit the worst with a few days of mild fatigue. Her dad was barley touch and I had 2 days of feeling like crap, but otherwise super mild. None of us had fevers. Glad to have been vaxxed and have Covid behind us at least for the short term.

LHS
02-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Our boy brought us a case home from school a few weeks ago. All of us have been vaxed, and my wife and boy had boosters but I hadn't had time to get mine yet. The kiddo basically had the sniffles for a couple days, maybe a 99 fever. The wife and I had basically what amounts to a mild head cold, some coughing but not bad, fevers around 99-100. Mine lasted about three or four days of active symptoms, then my fever just went away and the cough started to fade with it, though it did linger for about a week as it decreased in frequency. My wife had similar active symptoms but kept the fever for about three weeks, right at 99.

All in all, the least annoying illness I've dealt with in the past month. I had some kind of god-awful flu-like thingy over Christmas that was just brutal. Incredible fatigue, to the point that it took a major effort of will just to reach over and grab a water bottle off the coffee table next to the couch where I was crashed. Nasty body aches, every joint in my body felt like it needed to crack/pop, but doing so was excruciating. Fever of 104 or more. The smell of food made me nauseous. Lasted 3 days, then basically went away and left me to recover. Tested negative for covid on that one, much to my surprise.

CSW
02-11-2022, 11:34 AM
My wife and I both had covid January 13th of this year.
Both 58. Both vaxxed, her Phyzer, me Moderna. No boosters.
She's in absolute great condition and has a slender build.
I'm slightly overweight, diabeetus, high BP.
She tested positive, and I, negative.
Both the very same symptoms 3 days apart :
Fever, malaise, cough, headaches, very stuffed sinus.

Mine continued to be heavy in the chest, the continued cough, where hers was body pain and a head cold.

As we came through it, she had taste reactions to anything vinegar based... Ketchup, salad dressing, balsamic...
For me, it was milk products.... To the point where I now can only do oatmilk.
We both had the nausea.... Even now, it'll come on, that lower jaw feeling, be there for about 5 minutes and then it's gone.
Heidi is still very tired, but I seem like I'm not, except for working each day outdoors.
It bizarre how it effects people differently.

Blessings and Prayers Newbie.

Chris

TheNewbie
02-11-2022, 11:39 AM
What’s weird is this fever. Woke up with 100.4 at 430 coughing like a 80 year 5 pack a day smoker.

My wife got me to breath through my nose and put my mouth (sad I needed her for this lol) and my cough was reduced by 95%. Now my temp is 97.5 and I feel pretty decent.

Lungs sound clear according to my wife and energy is ok. This is about day 7 and the only thing that has me concerned is the fever goes and comes. Never had a fever like this before, though it does tend to stay in the lower side and I haven’t got back up to 102 like I did Sunday.

Oxygen and vitals are good.

UNK
02-11-2022, 11:57 AM
The sore throat issue. My Son had what we suspect was Omicron he should have been over it but the sore throat was killing him. Took a Zpac and steroids to get that part over with. Once he started the meds it was noticeably better each day.

Erik
05-01-2022, 03:03 PM
Do any of the PF medical types have any input on taking antihistamines as a preventative/treatment for long COVID? This has been recommended to me. (I developed a sore throat late Thursday, home test negative Friday, mild flu-like symptoms over the past couple of days and lab test cam back positive last night). Thanks.

RoyGBiv
05-02-2022, 06:25 AM
3+ weeks in and mom is still testing positive.
Still some lingering stomach problems but otherwise OK.

Daughter fully recovered after just a few days.

Son was texting me this morning at 0330 Arizona time. Tested positive last night. Has a terrible sore throat. Apparently he and most of his friends have it, with symptoms starting 5 days after a party they all attended.

Here's my dad face today :eek:

4RNR
05-02-2022, 07:42 AM
My friends just had it. Their 4 year old brought it home from kindergarten! Shocker right? I don't know which Omecron they had but both kids, the 4 and 2 year old were over it in less than a day. The parents. Active late 30s to late 40s. No health issues, no prescriptions, both skinny, not much junk food in the house.. both originally vaccinated back in March of last year. The husband has since been boosted twice, the wife has not. Both had basically identical symptoms. A mild cold for a few days.

JodyH
05-02-2022, 08:03 AM
Bloodwork has shown I have antibodies for almost 6 months now.
Never knew I had it.
Wife lost her smell/taste for two days.
19 year old live at home son never got it.
Big nothingburger at my house.
Zero vaccinations.

RoyGBiv
05-03-2022, 08:39 PM
Son was texting me this morning at 0330 Arizona time. Tested positive last night. Has a terrible sore throat. Apparently he and most of his friends have it, with symptoms starting 5 days after a party they all attended.

36 hours later and the sore throat is almost gone and he's sounding mostly recovered.

Warp speed. :cool:

AMC
05-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Daughter tested positive last Sunday. All her friend group from school have it (apparently the school is experiencing a surge). Wednesday wife started feeling off, with a sore throat. Tested positive Thursday afternoon. She ended up with a fever of 104 Friday night. Doctor prescribed Paxlovid due to her autoimmune condition. That and advil seems to have helped. Fever broke Saturday night, and today she feels almost 100%.

Both experienced basically a week long bout of flu. Nothing unusual or weird. I slept on the couch for 5 days, went through a bottle of hand sanitizer and a tub of clorox wipes. Both the 18 year old son and are are still negative. Fingers crossed.

Erik
05-10-2022, 06:55 PM
I was over it. Or, I thought I was over it at least. Symptoms subsided and a home test was negative on Sunday (two days ago). I never completely lost the cough, but it's also allergy season and even though I don't have seasonal allergies per se, if it's really bad, I'll get a little sniffly and sneezy. I woke up this morning kind of hoarse and with a cough and decided to test again just to be sure...aaaaaand, positive again. So either I had a false negative on Sunday or I managed to get reinfected somewhere along the way. It's COVID, so who the hell knows.

HeavyDuty
05-10-2022, 07:41 PM
I flew back from Austin a week ago Sunday. The flights were packed, and the last leg BWI - MHT was full of school break kids and families coming back from Orlando. Plus Kelly was sick all the week before, I was exposed to that.

Wednesday I started having a scratchy throat, but it felt like a cold or allergies. Nonetheless I rapid tested just to be sure, and as I expected it was negative.

I felt sicker Thursday, and again Friday - but mild cold or allergy level, not worse than that. I was concerned that Kelly may have had Covid that didn’t show on her rapid tests while I was there so I scheduled a PCR for Friday. That evening I started coughing and decided to do another rapid test, that one was positive.

Saturday morning I ran up to the clinic and grabbed a Paxlovid script. The coughing continued, and I had a few episodes of chills that evening but only observed a peak temp of 99.4.

Sunday I the cold-like symptoms were mostly better but I began getting nasty headaches and became extremely fatigued. Both of those have continued, and just slightly abated today.

So, to date this has been more of an annoyance than anything. Kelly and the kids are clean; I apparently got this traveling.

Joe in PNG
05-10-2022, 08:16 PM
While talking to my dentist this morning about my bad gums, he noted that he's seeing a lot of gum irritation as a post Covid symptom.

JCN
05-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Sat in a 3 hour talking meeting this morning next to a guy who texted me later in the day saying he felt crummy and tested positive mid day.

I was the only one in the meeting wearing an N95.

HeavyDuty
05-11-2022, 06:10 AM
Sat in a 3 hour talking meeting this morning next to a guy who texted me later in the day saying he felt crummy and tested positive mid day.

I was the only one in the meeting wearing an N95.

Good luck - I was masked while I was traveling Sunday, but I let myself use a surgical instead of my usual N95.

JclInAtx
07-08-2022, 11:39 AM
My wife started feeling sick on Tuesday - sore throat, stuffy nose, cough, aches, chills, mild fever. Mild flu like symptoms with a little more chest congestion. She tested negative with an at home test. I came down with the same symptoms yesterday. Took a test this morning and it was positive. She retested and it was positive.

We are vaccinated and got boosters in January, but hadn't gotten around to the second booster.

We had slacked off taking precautions. No longer wearing a mask when entering stores and not religiously using sanitizer when getting back in the car. Might be a good idea to take precautions again if you've slacked off like us.

RoyGBiv
07-08-2022, 02:39 PM
My wife started feeling sick on Tuesday - sore throat, stuffy nose, cough, aches, chills, mild fever. Mild flu like symptoms with a little more chest congestion. She tested negative with an at home test. I came down with the same symptoms yesterday. Took a test this morning and it was positive. She retested and it was positive.

We are vaccinated and got boosters in January, but hadn't gotten around to the second booster.

We had slacked off taking precautions. No longer wearing a mask when entering stores and not religiously using sanitizer when getting back in the car. Might be a good idea to take precautions again if you've slacked off like us.

No mask here... but I still do the hand sanitizer in the car...

I believe if I get it, having been boosted once, I'll be ok.... Back to living.

I hope you and your wife only see mild symptoms and recover quickly.

guymontag
07-08-2022, 07:41 PM
Bloodwork has shown I have antibodies for almost 6 months now.
Never knew I had it.
Wife lost her smell/taste for two days.
19 year old live at home son never got it.
Big nothingburger at my house.
Zero vaccinations.

Similar experience but wife and I tested before the new year, came back positive. We sat around, got some sun and took an easy week off with the kids but no “real” symptoms (different ages and ethnicities). Majority of my family had a similar experience. Unfortunately we’ve lost a few of my wife’s family to other illnesses, and some to COVID craziness (mental health).

Borderland
07-08-2022, 08:01 PM
Now we have a new variant BA 2.75. Researchers are saying not to panic just yet.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1544413181027778561

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/07/08/new-ba275-omicron-subvariant-heres-the-centaurus-covid-19-coronavirus/?sh=5642e04b7f55

While it ain’t the “Centaurus” of Covid-19 attention right now, the new BA.2.75 Omicron subvariant does deserve to be closely monitored. This so-called “Centaurus” subvariant, first detected in India, has now appeared in at least 10 other countries including the U.S. And there are eight-not-so-simple reasons why the BA.2.75 could potentially be even more concerning than the already concerning BA.5 subvariant of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Before you run around the room flapping your arms in a panic, though, the emphasis here is on the word “potentially” as opposed to “definitely” or “fer sure.” Plus, public health authorities will never say, “OK, everyone, time to panic now.”

I haven't got a second booster yet but will sometime later this year. I'm not sure researchers can keep up with the mutations but that's all I can do. My wife already got the 2nd booster from her doc a few days ago.

CSW
07-09-2022, 06:26 AM
Now we have a new variant BA 2.75. Researchers are saying not to panic just yet.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1544413181027778561

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/07/08/new-ba275-omicron-subvariant-heres-the-centaurus-covid-19-coronavirus/?sh=5642e04b7f55

I haven't got a second booster yet but will sometime later this year. I'm not sure researchers can keep up with the mutations but that's all I can do. My wife already got the 2nd booster from her doc a few days ago.

We drank the kool-aid and had our two shots, [pre #3 and 4 boosters weren't available at the time] and my wife and I ended up getting the 'Rona in January of '22. Felt horrible for a week or so.
I work alone, and we were in the middle of snow season here in NH, so I worked thru the virus plowing snow. Sucked.

Effects like changes in our sense of smell, ability to concentrate, and being exhausted followed after the initial part of Captain Trips.
We both decided right then and there that there would be no more boosters, shots of kool-aid. We got our initial 2 doses, and that's it.

I realize everyone has different views on the shots, and the virus, but we'll have no more of the vaccine.

My daughter was never vaxxed, and has never gotten any variant.

BillSWPA
07-09-2022, 11:20 PM
Two of the four in my immediate family (including me) got Covid for the second time, in May. The second time, it was like a moderate cold, and half of us avoided it entirely. I was recovered in only 5 days.

We know the source of the illness this time, and that individual was both vaccinated and masked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn E. Meyer
07-12-2022, 09:46 AM
A good friend's adult son caught it. His lungs are destroyed for the most part. He cannot even walk to the bathroom. Constantly on oxygen. He has no strength. He moved back with his parents. Luckily his father is quite competent and is fighting through his insurance problems - health, employment, disability, etc. The son is on the lung transplant list. Fingers crossed for him.

BillSWPA
07-12-2022, 11:13 AM
If anyone here does not yet own a pulse oximeter, please buy one today. This $20 device, which can be purchased at any pharmacy or online, can help you spot developing lung problems early enough so that your doctor can address them before serious damage occurs.

RoyGBiv
07-12-2022, 11:51 AM
A good friend's adult son caught it. His lungs are destroyed for the most part. He cannot even walk to the bathroom. Constantly on oxygen. He has no strength. He moved back with his parents. Luckily his father is quite competent and is fighting through his insurance problems - health, employment, disability, etc. The son is on the lung transplant list. Fingers crossed for him.

Vaxxed?

Clusterfrack
08-03-2022, 06:05 PM
After returning from Alaska, I started having mild cold-like symptoms (runny nose, scratchy throat, fatigue, no fever).

Two rapid tests were negative. A PCR test just came in positive. I have had 2+2 Moderna vax+boosters.

The only other “interesting” symptom was excessive urinating the night before last. No UTI symptoms, so I was puzzled enough to do some digging—since the virus uses the ACE2 receptor/enzyme, which is involved in renal function through the renin-angiotensin pathways. Apparently increased pissing with no UTI is becoming a known symptom in some people. Mine is back to normal.

RoyGBiv
08-03-2022, 06:18 PM
Just found out I brought Covid home from vacation also.. tested positive a few minutes ago on a home test. Clear positive.

2nd day of mild symptoms. Chills last night. Mild to medium body aches, reduced with ibuprofen. Very mild cough. 99'F temp.

Trying to not give it to the family 🙄

Artemas2
08-03-2022, 07:07 PM
Our entire household came down with it in May after one came back from a west coast visitation... Ages ran from 20-89 with some vaxxed and some not. We had mostly the same symptoms and duration.
The first day was the worst, labored breathing, head ache, tiredness and cough.
I still had to take care of our livestock, which was absolutely grueling to do. After the first week I was able to get back to running and working out about 75% of my norm.
89 exacerbated some already present mobility issues related to tiredness. After the second week we all experienced a minor persistent cough and some residual tiredness which lasted until about July.

Last week another house member who was unexposed due to fighting for their life in a west coast hospital (hence the visit in May) and is 8+ weeks open heart post op. Tested positive, coughed once, and got better. No reinfection at this time.

Also F*** 2022...

just adding that we were advised (and did) to take lots of Vit C,D and iron and to hydrate with sport drinks for the sugar and electrolytes. We also had some amazing neighbors handle meals and leave them on the back porch

rdtompki
08-03-2022, 07:53 PM
At 76 y/o with 2+1 Pfizer vaccine just got over a 10 day bout with Covid. Day 1: this is worse than a cold, nose ran like a faucet and I didn't sleep well. Day 2: feels like a bad cold but the home test said Covid accompanied by a bad cough. Days 3-10 symptoms got progressively milder albeit accompanied by some fatigue. All in all no big deal.

I did a leg workout about a week after "recovery" (squats, hack squats, leg presses and such). Was sore for two days which is not usual. Subsequent workouts were fine. During Covid I did have a period of frequent urination and seemed to suffer diminished sense of taste but that has passed. I perhaps experienced a 99 deg "fever"; at no time did my O2 level drop below 96.

Nephrology
08-03-2022, 07:58 PM
I had COVID last week. Vaccinated 5 times.

Symptoms started Monday of last week - about 10 days ago - were basically identical to flu but I did lose my sense of smell. Had 1-2 days of bad fevers but quickly improved after that. Feelin fine today. Despite significant immunocompromise didn't really get terribly sick - I was back to exercising by the weekend.

Still feeling a little fatigued but I also might just be being a lazy piece of shit on my research month...

Clusterfrack
08-03-2022, 07:59 PM
...The only other “interesting” symptom was excessive urinating the night before last. No UTI symptoms, so I was puzzled enough to do some digging—since the virus uses the ACE2 receptor/enzyme, which is involved in renal function through the renin-angiotensin pathways. Apparently increased pissing with no UTI is becoming a known symptom in some people. Mine is back to normal.

Nephrology, any thoughts about the mechanism here?

Nephrology
08-03-2022, 08:00 PM
Nephrology, any thoughts about the mechanism here?

They handwaved about that a lot, nothing meaningful ever came of it to my knowledge. I don't think the receptor is significant beyond it being a reliable way for the virus to find the respiratory epithelia that it wants

Clusterfrack
08-03-2022, 08:04 PM
They handwaved about that a lot, nothing meaningful ever came of it to my knowledge. I don't think the receptor is significant beyond it being a reliable way for the virus to find the respiratory epithelia that it wants

Seem plausible that the virus has some ACE inhibitor activity? The high frequency pissing also happened to a buddy who got Covid recently.

RoyGBiv
08-03-2022, 08:07 PM
The urination comments are interesting.
The last 3 or 4 days of vacation I had a feeling of pressure on my bladder.
Not usual for me.

2 hours after ibuprofen I'm feeling pretty good. Like the day after a hard gym session. Just trying to not spread it, otherwise ok.

ETA... Bladder pressure is gone as of yesterday. FWIW

Cookie Monster
08-03-2022, 09:48 PM
I remember my bout with something in Spring - 2 negative home tests, I had two days of urinating every hour or twice an hour. I remember it being weird.

Nephrology
08-03-2022, 10:56 PM
Seem plausible that the virus has some ACE inhibitor activity? The high frequency pissing also happened to a buddy who got Covid recently.

I don't think there is any solid evidence to support this. Can't comment on your bladder habits but I don't think it was strictly due to the virus ...

Borderland
08-03-2022, 11:20 PM
Just about everyone I know has had Covid including relatives and neighbors. So far I don't think my wife and I have had it, but we mask up when we're out in public. We've only been tested once when it was killing lots of people 2 years ago. But one can't know unless tested. So far we haven't been able to control it but have been able to minimize it's severity.

Clusterfrack
08-03-2022, 11:53 PM
I don't think there is any solid evidence to support this. Can't comment on your bladder habits but I don't think it was strictly due to the virus ...

All back to normal now. Maybe it was just a lot of potato chips and beer? :D

Cory
08-04-2022, 06:10 AM
Went to an obstacle course with around 40 people. I performed outstanding. Started feeling something in my chest after.

Not vaccinated. Had covid Sept 2021 and got monoclonals. This time I could tell it was covid after a bad night. 2 negative home tests, but was positive at a clinic. 101.7 fever, restless disturbed sleep, fatigue, soreness. Quarantined from my wife and kid for 5 days. I'm back to work but fighting fatigue.

The first time was rough. I was never hospitalized but was incredibly fatigued for 3 weeks. A walk to the fridge put me down for hours. I woke up with my heart beating really odd, and seriously wondered if it would kill me. I think I managed to start pneumonia (something I've had before). Monoclonals really helped me turn it around. Took a long time to get my wind back. Cough lasted months.

This time was shorter lived, but i have a lingering cough and am tired. I'm waiting a full week after being released from quarantine to get back to my airbike workout every morning.

RoyGBiv
08-04-2022, 06:25 AM
Trying to figure out where I got it, I'm realizing I had some nasal congestion and a drip on Saturday. Sunday was very slightly worse and the body arches started on Monday in earnest. I attributed those to a slip I took on a slick boat ramp Friday. Having had chills overnight Tuesday I got worried about Covid for the first time.

So.. Today is either the 4th or 5th day of symptoms?

NSAIDS have knocked out the slight fever (99) and the aches are gone. Still have a pretty good headache though. Only real worry currently is that my resting pulse is in the mid to upper 80s, normal is low 60s. O2 remains in the mid 90s which is consistent with readings on this device all along..

I've noticed that a few things tasted different for a few days, mostly sweet things. But, seems back to normal today. No noticeable changes to smells.

Fingers crossed that I'll be rid of this by the end of the weekend.

Nephrology
08-04-2022, 07:32 AM
All back to normal now. Maybe it was just a lot of potato chips and beer? :D

Or observers bias or any number of things. potato chips and beer sounds like a tasty home remedy for COVID though

CSW
08-04-2022, 07:47 AM
And pork rinds, in case the chips don't work.
Also provides protection from swine flu. 😜

4RNR
08-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Went to an obstacle course with around 40 people. I performed outstanding. Started feeling something in my chest after.

Not vaccinated. Had covid Sept 2021 and got monoclonals. This time I could tell it was covid after a bad night. 2 negative home tests, but was positive at a clinic. 101.7 fever, restless disturbed sleep, fatigue, soreness. Quarantined from my wife and kid for 5 days. I'm back to work but fighting fatigue.

The first time was rough. I was never hospitalized but was incredibly fatigued for 3 weeks. A walk to the fridge put me down for hours. I woke up with my heart beating really odd, and seriously wondered if it would kill me. I think I managed to start pneumonia (something I've had before). Monoclonals really helped me turn it around. Took a long time to get my wind back. Cough lasted months.

This time was shorter lived, but i have a lingering cough and am tired. I'm waiting a full week after being released from quarantine to get back to my airbike workout every morning.

Back in Nov my family got Delta. Only my dad was vaxx'd (no boosters after the initial 2 doses last March). Both my parents said they felt tired. They wouldn't get winded but would feel tired and sleepy. Like working a long hard day. Tested positive for about a week and another few days - week for the tiredness symptoms to go away. My mom had a serious issue with the smell of pork. She said she could smell it even a few days later if something else was cooked in the same microwave/stove/skillet. Scented candles had to be lit practically all day

farscott
08-04-2022, 10:42 AM
After returning from Alaska, I started having mild cold-like symptoms (runny nose, scratchy throat, fatigue, no fever).

Two rapid tests were negative. A PCR test just came in positive. I have had 2+2 Moderna vax+boosters.

The only other “interesting” symptom was excessive urinating the night before last. No UTI symptoms, so I was puzzled enough to do some digging—since the virus uses the ACE2 receptor/enzyme, which is involved in renal function through the renin-angiotensin pathways. Apparently increased pissing with no UTI is becoming a known symptom in some people. Mine is back to normal.

Same exact development as mine. Went on a business trip to SFO and SLC. Started feeling poor in SLC and had frequent urination (like every fifteen minutes for three hours but no pain) the day before heading home. Tested positive the next day. The frequent urination stopped the next day, but I am still congested more than two weeks later. Two Pfizer shots and one Pfizer booster. Next booster is due this fall.

45dotACP
08-04-2022, 12:10 PM
I just got over a shitty ass cold that took me and my wife down for a week apiece (her for one week, and me for the next). It's weird because neither of us tested positive by rapid or PCR, but my blood pressure jumped up, I had a truly ridiculous amount of nasal drainage, and my wife had a cough that sounded like death on legs.

I first thought it was maybe the cold medicine causing my BP to go so high, or maybe the fact I was supplementing with creatine, but I don't know that there's any reliable evidence to suggest creatine causes high BP and I wasn't taking any cold meds with phenylephrine.

I'm not sure it was COVID, but the mention of the ACE pathway that the COVID virus takes did have me curious.

Or it could just be that I eat like shit and that even though I'm in good shape and get plenty of exercise I can only run from my horrible diet for so long and now I'm in my 30's.

0ddl0t
08-04-2022, 01:22 PM
but I don't know that there's any reliable evidence to suggest creatine causes high BP

It should raise blood pressure marginally since creatine causes your muscles to retain water and that extra weight puts a little more pressure on your blood vessels.

45dotACP
08-04-2022, 01:47 PM
It should raise blood pressure marginally since creatine causes your muscles to retain water and that extra weight puts a little more pressure on your blood vessels.That makes sense. Ultimately I decided to drop creatine from my daily supplement routine. The strength I gained while on it seems to have stuck around but a BP of 145/90 when I'm usually 125/85 just isn't worth it at this point. I like the idea of not developing heart disease, PVD, or CKD and my time spent in the gym is in service of that.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Irelander
08-04-2022, 01:49 PM
I'm on day 7 after testing positive on a home test. My wife and 9yo daughter tested positive a few days prior. My wife had mild cold symptoms and lethargy. My daughter had a slight stuffy nose and no reduction in energy. I had mild cold symptoms but a wicked bad sore throat. My wife and I are feeling much better now. I'm very thankful to God that our symptoms were mild. I was particularly worried about my wife due to her other health issues. We have stayed away from Covid shots.

Nephrology
08-04-2022, 05:22 PM
That makes sense. Ultimately I decided to drop creatine from my daily supplement routine. The strength I gained while on it seems to have stuck around but a BP of 145/90 when I'm usually 125/85 just isn't worth it at this point. I like the idea of not developing heart disease, PVD, or CKD and my time spent in the gym is in service of that.

I mean worst case scenario a little amlodipine never killed anyone, lol

rob_s
08-05-2022, 05:39 AM
Maybe this has been covered…

One of my staff got it a few weeks ago. I went on vacation just after that and he works in a different office than me, so didn’t get to catch up with him until earlier this week.

He said they gave him paxlovid (apparently his symptoms go so bad he went to either the ER or a walk-in, not entirely sure) and he said it gave him crazy nightmares and ultimately borderline suicidal thoughts. Said he couldn’t find any mention of this on the various warning labels, etc.

Is that a thing? Something documented?

camsdaddy
08-05-2022, 06:25 AM
A friend that I work with left work last Tuesday, went to the gym and then went home and it hit him like a semi. Fever 102-104 no energy etc. A few days later GI issues hit and he has not kept anything up or down for several days. Finally gave up on Wednesday and went to hospital and was admitted. Just got a text from him saying nothing has changed.

Caballoflaco
08-05-2022, 07:25 AM

One of my staff got it a few weeks ago. I went on vacation just after that and he works in a different office than me, so didn’t get to catch up with him until earlier this week.

He said they gave him paxlovid (apparently his symptoms go so bad he went to either the ER or a walk-in, not entirely sure) and he said it gave him crazy nightmares and ultimately borderline suicidal thoughts. Said he couldn’t find any mention of this on the various warning labels, etc.

Not sure about Paxlovid, but crazy ass fever dreams were definitely something I read people reporting about having covid when all theis was new. Suicidal thought though is something I haven’t seen.

JCS
08-05-2022, 09:16 AM

I managed to avoid covid until recently. Now I've tested positive with rebound covid just a few days after my first bout. I took paxlovid the first bout and did have some messed up dreams. But I also had some real weird ones during the rebound covid when I had a high fever. So I think it was the fever. First go around my fever peaked around 103. I'm more interested in the link between paxlovid and rebound covid. I was so miserable I just took whatever they would give me and didn't do any research.

Not gonna lie it's been much worse than I thought it would be. The fatigue has been unreal. Fatigue, fever, body aches have been my main symptoms. With the rebound covid I had all the same symptoms plus cough and congestion. The fatigue has been rough again and was nearly as bad at it's peak but the extreme fatigue hasn't lasted as long.

The rebound covid things is crazy to me. It came back 10 days after my first symptoms appeared. I had a 2-3 day break before all my symptoms came back. By break I mean the extreme fatigue and fever were gone but I still was feeling maybe 75% of normal energy and then bam everything came back.

Anyone else experienced rebound covid after paxlovid?

RoyGBiv
08-05-2022, 09:32 AM
I managed to avoid covid until recently. Now I've tested positive with rebound covid just a few days after my first bout. I took paxlovid the first bout and did have some messed up dreams. But I also had some real weird ones during the rebound covid when I had a high fever. So I think it was the fever. First go around my fever peaked around 103. I'm more interested in the link between paxlovid and rebound covid. I was so miserable I just took whatever they would give me and didn't do any research.

Not gonna lie it's been much worse than I thought it would be. The fatigue has been unreal. Fatigue, fever, body aches have been my main symptoms. With the rebound covid I had all the same symptoms plus cough and congestion. The fatigue has been rough again and was nearly as bad at it's peak but the extreme fatigue hasn't lasted as long.

The rebound covid things is crazy to me. It came back 10 days after my first symptoms appeared. I had a 2-3 day break before all my symptoms came back. By break I mean the extreme fatigue and fever were gone but I still was feeling maybe 75% of normal energy and then bam everything came back.

Not in any way being judgy.... Vaccinated?

Even POTUS got rebound after Paxlovid, and he's fully vaxxed.

Thankfully my symptoms are almost gone on day 5. Still some headache and mild body ache but haven't needed any NSAIDs for temperature today. Never got higher than 99. Tested positive again this morning using a home test. Took less than 2 minutes for a strong positive line to show up. :rolleyes:.. Planning to lay low for the weekend and avoid my wife, since she is the only one in the house (5 of us) who has not had covid yet.... The other 3 (besides me) have all had it in April, May and June... All of us vaxxed.

LockedBreech
08-05-2022, 09:37 AM
I somehow dodged COVID for all of 2020 and 2021, and half of 2022, while working in a courthouse - and my significant other working at a hospital. I had the first two vaccines in Feb and March 2021 and the booster in November 2021. Boosters are supposed to last about 6 months and...yep, that's pretty accurate, because I was a month or two past that.

Felt tired and crummy on Friday, July 15. By Sunday, July 17 I was running a 101-102 fever and feeling like death. Tested positive on a rapid test. I missed that entire week of work (never missed more than 2 days before). Consistent high fever, sweatiness, cough, mucous production, just a very gross experience. I had to use cold packs from the freezer, cold showers, lots of cold water and Bodyarmor/Gatorade, it really did feel like I had to constantly be at battle with it. Totally screwed my billing hours for July but luckily my boss is cool.

I've been back at work since Monday the 25th but I'm not better yet. I'm like 1% better every day but I have a persistent cough that has refused to go all the way away, I am taking heavy duty cough suppression meds often still. Fortunately in the last few days it has finally slacked off a bit and I have my voice mostly back.

Overall, was a heavily unpleasant experience. I won't say I agree with how the government handled everything, but it's nonsense that it's "just a flu" - I've never had a flu give me symptoms longer than 2-3 days. This junk was ferocious.

On the positive side, it never messed with my smell or taste, and I'm a huge foodie and cook so that was a relief.

Crow Hunter
08-05-2022, 09:43 AM
I caught it the last weekend in June. Apparently from someone at work.

I didn't feel "right" on Friday night but I didn't actually become noticeably symptomatic until Sunday. Tested positive on Monday (PCR). Coughing and bad headache on Sunday and Monday but felt noticeably better afterwards. Had a lingering random cough the first week in July but felt mostly normal. It was just like a bad cold. I have been a lot sicker before. I only used a half a bottle of Nyquil. :D Did feel more tired than normal. I have had Pfizer and a Pfizer booster in December of last year.

Wife caught it from me and was pretty sick. Developed a chest infection and cracked a rib due to coughing. Then wound up with Strep Throat right after that. She had the Moderna and 1 booster also in December.

This is my wife's 2nd for sure and possibly 3rd time with Covid.

I was never symptomatic if exposed the 1st time or potential 2nd time she had it. I gave it to her the 3rd time. :) I also had no reaction to the vaccine other than it feeling like someone "frogged" my arm for a couple of days. My wife felt worse the day after the vaccine than she did when she had Covid.

Strangely enough I lost my sense of smell after had no more symptoms. Just gone. Couldn't smell a thing, everything smelled "blank". Normally I have a super sensitive sense of smell and my wife (who doesn't) commented that she could smell a skunk while we were walking the dog. I couldn't, so when we got home I opened a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub and took a big whiff. Scorched my nose but I couldn't smell it at all. It has been getting noticeably better since then.

JCS
08-05-2022, 10:22 AM
Not in any way being judgy.... Vaccinated?

Even POTUS got rebound after Paxlovid, and he's fully vaxxed.

Thankfully my symptoms are almost gone on day 5. Still some headache and mild body ache but haven't needed any NSAIDs for temperature today. Never got higher than 99. Tested positive again this morning using a home test. Took less than 2 minutes for a strong positive line to show up. :rolleyes:.. Planning to lay low for the weekend and avoid my wife, since she is the only one in the house (5 of us) who has not had covid yet.... The other 3 (besides me) have all had it in April, May and June... All of us vaxxed.

Vaccinated and boosted. Booster was in 12/21.

Joe S
08-05-2022, 10:25 AM
That makes sense. Ultimately I decided to drop creatine from my daily supplement routine. The strength I gained while on it seems to have stuck around but a BP of 145/90 when I'm usually 125/85 just isn't worth it at this point. I like the idea of not developing heart disease, PVD, or CKD and my time spent in the gym is in service of that.

I don't have a ton of personal experience with creatine, and there is no good science showing any downsides to extended use, but I've always thought cycling it makes sense for strength/strength-endurance.

RoyGBiv
08-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Vaccinated and boosted. Booster was in 12/21.

Leads me to wonder.....

- What percentage of fully vaxxed people require Paxlovid or hospitalization after later contracting Covid?

fly out
08-05-2022, 01:39 PM
There are lots of Paxlovid thoughts in this (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11065467/COVID-reinfection-rate-treatment-Biden-taking-40-not-2-marketed.html) Daily Mail article from last weekend.

When Paxlovid came to market in December 2021, studies from Pfizer indicated that only 1-2 percent of patients who took the drug tested positive for Covid again shortly after finishing their dosage.

But other experts say the rapid reinfection rate is closer to 40 per cent, and that Paxlovid can cause this issue by suppressing patients' immune systems too early, meaning their own bodies are unable to get a handle on COVID.

Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a prominent cardiologist and professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University Hospital tweeted: 'I think this was predictable.'

He continued: 'The prior data suggesting 'rebound' Paxlovid positivity in the low single digits is outdates [sic] and with BA.5 is likely 20-40% or even higher.'

About taking Paxlovid or not?

Speaking to the Atlantic, Bob Wachter, the chair of medicine at the University of California San Francisco, said that deciding whether or not give Paxlovid to certain patients is a 'massively complicated three-dimensional chess game.'

Wachter also said: 'I can barely decide whether want it, and I do this for a living.'

While Dr. David Boulware of the University of Minnesota told the magazine that he wants Pfizer to release more in depth study data.

He said that the data released so far by Pfizer 'suggest that there’s really minimal to no benefit, most likely, for the vast majority of people.'

Fauci took a second course of Paxlovid for his rebound infection, while Biden is not taking the second course.

98z28
08-05-2022, 01:48 PM
I just had at least a second go-round with COVID at the end of July. I know I had it in January 2022 and suspect our family had it towards the end of 2019, but we weren't looking for COVID in the US at the time. This bout was far milder than the last one. I had a slight fever (peaked at 100) for three days, annoying congestion, brief loss of smell, and fatigue. Much less fatigue and brain fog than last time, and for a shorter period. The congestion stuck around for about a week. There were two odd symptoms that I don't remember from last time. First, I was having to urinate more than once per hour for the first two days, which is not normal for me and there were not any changes in my diet that would have led me to expect a change. That and the congestion made it difficult to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time for a couple of days. Second, my blood pressure was 170/109 and my pulse was hovering around 90 the day after my fever went away. I am not sure what it was before that because I didn't check it until that day. I am normally around 105/65 with a resting heart rate in the low 60's. My cheap oximeter stayed around 98% throughout, which is what it has always read for me. I knew we had been exposed and started taking zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin D two days before symptoms started. I alternated between acetaminophen and ibuprofen for the fever.

I'm 41, 5"11, ~170lbs with a decent workout routine and diet, and no history of health issues. No COVID vaccines or boosters. Just old-fashioned inoculation. Pre COVID, my family and I just didn't get sick. I could count on one hand the number of times anyone has had to stay home due to illness (with the exception of when the kids started school - they all got sick in the first couple of months, but then were good to go). We have all been sick with this crap every year since 2020. We're up to twice in 2022.

HeavyDuty
08-05-2022, 05:53 PM

Rebound after Paxlovid here, too. Fully vaxxed, double boostered.

Arbninftry
08-07-2022, 11:07 AM
The whole family caught Covid in DEC 20, my wife had the body aches and a couple of days she was up and going again. Our son caught it, mild fever and that was it. M-inlaw caught it, got pretty bad but she got the infusions. I ended up in the ER and being sent home on O2. Basically nothing we can do you can croak here or go home and croak, not enough beds were available at that time.
3 weeks later, I recovered.
Fast forward to this last week, My wife is vaxxed and double boosted, for her work. She has been very ill with another round of Covid. She went to the Dr, they gave her Plaxovid and an inhaler.

I caught it and the only thing bothering me is drainage, like a sinus infection. I never went to the dr this time. My O2 levels have remained in the upper 90s, like 98 and 99 the whole time. I am completely unvaxxed, other than I had it the first go round really bad, I think natural immunity is or can be a good thing.

Has there been any data that really points to the Vax and boosters weakening the immune system?

RoyGBiv
08-07-2022, 12:08 PM
I'm over it after 5 days of mild symptoms. Just some lingering tiredness and sniffles. Unfortunately, Wife tested positive yesterday. Very mild symptoms, thankfully. Sinus drainage and slight body aches, no fever. 2 ibuprofen fixes everything except the sinuses. Hoping not to get it back from her :rolleyes:

45dotACP
08-07-2022, 03:20 PM
The whole family caught Covid in DEC 20, my wife had the body aches and a couple of days she was up and going again. Our son caught it, mild fever and that was it. M-inlaw caught it, got pretty bad but she got the infusions. I ended up in the ER and being sent home on O2. Basically nothing we can do you can croak here or go home and croak, not enough beds were available at that time.
3 weeks later, I recovered.
Fast forward to this last week, My wife is vaxxed and double boosted, for her work. She has been very ill with another round of Covid. She went to the Dr, they gave her Plaxovid and an inhaler.

I caught it and the only thing bothering me is drainage, like a sinus infection. I never went to the dr this time. My O2 levels have remained in the upper 90s, like 98 and 99 the whole time. I am completely unvaxxed, other than I had it the first go round really bad, I think natural immunity is or can be a good thing.

Has there been any data that really points to the Vax and boosters weakening the immune system?

Depends on what you consider weakened and what you consider data I guess.

After being vaxxed up and boosted I have noticed no more illness in the ensuing years than I usually get (seasonal cold, sinus infections, flu etc).

I've had COVID following vaccination and have seen patients who were vaccinated in the COVID ICU a while ago (though none anymore) and while it was certainly unpleasant, I avoided the effects I hoped to avoid (hypoxia, DVTs, PEs and massive spikes of inflammatory markers) and recovered within a week.

It unfortunately eliminated my ability to consume any and all alcohol without nearly instantaneous nausea and headache. I call it the "immediate hangover effect." But I've always been a go getter. Why wait for tomorrow's misery when I can have it today?

Aside from that, I found my maxes on all of my lifts has increased starkly, my cardio got better, my shooting improved and my ability to satisfy women jumped exponentially.

Sample size of one of course...and maybe I can't attribute that all to the vaccine...but if I were a case study I'd make a damn convincing reason to get the COVID shot [emoji6]

RoyGBiv
08-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Depends on what you consider weakened and what you consider data I guess.

Aside from that, I found my maxes on all of my lifts has increased starkly, my cardio got better, my shooting improved and my ability to satisfy women jumped exponentially.

#awesome (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=awesome)

BillSWPA
08-07-2022, 05:33 PM

Yes.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35659687/

Chance
08-08-2022, 02:09 PM
Wife tested positive for COVID and the flu seven days ago and is just now feeling like herself. She's a nurse and has had the COVID vaccine / booster and flu vaccine.

I tested positive for COVID + flu four days ago. Fever, fatigue, cough, nausea, and my sinuses felt like they were on fire. It kind of came in waves - felt alright one moment and then sick as a dog the next moment.

Tamiflu and prescription-strength cough syrup helped. I haven't felt too bad today. I've also had vaccines / boosters.

karandom
08-08-2022, 06:54 PM
Yes.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35659687/
Why not post the actual study that comment was regarding?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00089-7/fulltext

Weird that guy says: "As a safety measure, further booster vaccinations should be discontinued." yet the actual study he was commenting on says: "The results strengthen the evidence-based rationale for administration of a third vaccine dose as a booster."

TC215
08-08-2022, 07:58 PM

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00089-7/fulltext

Weird that guy says: "As a safety measure, further booster vaccinations should be discontinued." yet the actual study he was commenting on says: "The results strengthen the evidence-based rationale for administration of a third vaccine dose as a booster."

Disclaimer- I know nothing about the credibility of this website:

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/covid-19-vaccines-dont-weaken-immune-system-lancet-study-misrepresented-tucker-carlson-hodgetwins/

BillSWPA
08-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Thank you for the link.

The abstract I linked included not only a link to the Lancet study, but also links to 18 other articles.

Turning to the Lancet study, look at Fig. 2. It does appear to show that effectiveness of the vaccines dips below zero. The margin of error just happens to include zero, allowing one to say that it might not be negative.

Having now read the Lancet study as well as a couple of the other cited sources, there is no misrepresentation in the source I cited.

RoyGBiv
08-09-2022, 11:58 AM
Getting this "experiences" thread back on track...... :rolleyes:

I'm thankfully over it, except for not completely back to normal on stamina. Had a good gym session yesterday but dropped weight on everything intentionally so as not to over do it. Early to bed last night as well.

On Day 5 of having symptoms, Wife is improving slowly. She lost her taste and smell last night, remains gone today, which seems oddly late in the process... Otherwise, down to just sinus stuff for her. Never ran a fever, mild body aches only the first 2 days and cured with ibuprofen, which she has not needed the past 48 hrs.

Anyone else lose taste/smell so late in the process?

Clusterfrack
08-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Sorry to be 'that Guy', but I feel great. Full recovery 5 days after first symptoms. I've had worse colds, and my 2nd Moderna vax was close to this bad.

RoyGBiv
08-09-2022, 12:10 PM
Sorry to be 'that Guy', but I feel great. Full recovery 5 days after first symptoms. I've had worse colds, and my 2nd Moderna vax was close to this bad.

No need for apologies for having good outcomes!!

pangloss
08-09-2022, 12:41 PM
Thank you for the link.

The abstract I linked included not only a link to the Lancet study, but also links to 18 other articles.

Turning to the Lancet study, look at Fig. 2. It does appear to show that effectiveness of the vaccines dips below zero. The margin of error just happens to include zero, allowing one to say that it might not be negative.

Having now read the Lancet study as well as a couple of the other cited sources, there is no misrepresentation in the source I cited.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkRegarding Fig. 2 in the Lancet paper: in the 1980/90s some HIV vaccine studies reported that participants in the study contracted HIV at a greater than expected rate, including participants in the control arms. Turns out that people assumed they got an effective vaccine and consequently engaged in increased levels of risky behavior. This effect was term "disinhibition."

The data shown in Fig 2 could very well be the be the same thing. I know that I am certainly not nearly as cautious as I was before I was vaccinated. If I'd kept my kids out of school last year, it's unlikely that my daughter would have been infected last January. She didn't get sick because of the vaccine, but she did return to school because of the vaccine. What constitutes "risky" behavior for respiratory viruses is a lot lower bar than for STIs.

Regardless, public health data like that are not the same thing as immune function data at the organismal level.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
08-09-2022, 01:19 PM
Turns out that people assumed they got an effective vaccine and consequently engaged in increased levels of risky behavior. This effect was term "disinhibition."

Boom-chika-bow-wow, bathhouse mix.

mtnbkr
08-09-2022, 01:26 PM

Same here with my recent (first!) bout. A few days of stuffy nose and an intermittent cough (that I get with ANY URI) was it. If not for the positive test result (home and lab because I couldn't believe the home test with my symptoms), I wouldn't think I had Covid. Well, I suppose the loss of smell for a few weeks would have been a clue, but that was hardly debilitating as my sense of smell isn't the great normally. I only noticed that because I couldn't smell coffee with my nose *in* the can.

As you said, I've had much worse colds.

Chris

GearFondler
08-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Getting this "experiences" thread back on track...... :rolleyes:

I'm thankfully over it, except for not completely back to normal on stamina. Had a good gym session yesterday but dropped weight on everything intentionally so as not to over do it. Early to bed last night as well.

On Day 5 of having symptoms, Wife is improving slowly. She lost her taste and smell last night, remains gone today, which seems oddly late in the process... Otherwise, down to just sinus stuff for her. Never ran a fever, mild body aches only the first 2 days and cured with ibuprofen, which she has not needed the past 48 hrs.

Anyone else lose taste/smell so late in the process?I had Covid for the first time about a month ago and didn't even know it for days. It started out with body aches and some congestion, feeling like I had a cold, and that was it... Temp never went above 90.2° and my home test was negative.
It wasn't until 5 days later when I suddenly lost my smell and taste that I realized it might be Covid and another home test confirmed it. That lasted 3 days before I started tasting and smelling again. A few days after that and I was pretty much back to normal.

breakingtime91
08-09-2022, 02:01 PM
Symptoms started Sunday, mild to say the least. Fatigue, slight head ache, and runny nose. Had a fever monday morning (101) and took a covid test. Tested positive. This morning my congestion is much better and energy level not back to normal but not bad.

I am not vaccinated and this reminds me of a very slight cold. Had COVID last year and was sick for the same amount of time before symptoms lessened. So about 3 days and I start to mend.

RoyGBiv
08-09-2022, 02:08 PM
I had Covid for the first time about a month ago and didn't even know it for days. It started out with body aches and some congestion, feeling like I had a cold, and that was it... Temp never went above 90.2° and my home test was negative.
It wasn't until 5 days later when I suddenly lost my smell and taste that I realized it might be Covid and another home test confirmed it. That lasted 3 days before I started tasting and smelling again. A few days after that and I was pretty much back to normal.

Calling Dr_Thanatos

LOL...

Thanks for the info on the late loss of smell... made me feel better. You;re a chill guy! :cool:

GearFondler
08-09-2022, 02:30 PM
Calling Dr_Thanatos

LOL...

Thanks for the info on the late loss of smell... made me feel better. You;re a chill guy! :cool:LOL!... Fat fingers.

99.2°

Suvorov
08-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Wife came down with it last week. One or two days of feeling fatigued and then felt pretty good. She was driven crazy by her attempts to quarantine from the rest of the family. Older boy came down with it with a day of body aches, younger boy tested positive but had no symptoms at all. I remained negative the whole week despite being surrounded by sickos. I finally succumbed on Monday morning after a trip where I was unable to get a good nights rest which probably lowered my defenses enough to let the virus take hold. So far it just feels like the typical cold I often get in the fall. Runny nose, some congestion, slight fatigue, chills, and body aches. If we were living in different times, I’d just take some DayQuil and drive on with life as normal.

GearFondler
08-10-2022, 01:49 PM
If we were living in different times, I’d just take some DayQuil and drive on with life as normal.

I believe that's what a lot of people are doing now and it's probably where we are all eventually headed.

RoyGBiv
08-10-2022, 02:12 PM
Wife woke up last night from her heart racing. Lasted about 20 minutes.
Still sinus issues but improving, some taste and smell returning. She says about 30% back.

Strange damn disease.

Dr_Thanatos
08-11-2022, 08:50 AM
Calling Dr_Thanatos

LOL...

Thanks for the info on the late loss of smell... made me feel better. You;re a chill guy! :cool:

He's still alive...get back to me later.

I haven't been keeping up with the newer variations symptom patterns. We just test everyone now.

RoyGBiv
09-16-2022, 03:42 PM
At about 5 weeks post quarantine now, I finally feel back to 100%, endurance-wise.

Was out on the bicycle this morning and didn't have that running out of gas feeling. Similar on Monday. Nice.

Bonus... had a hawk fly along next to me for ~75 yards.... about 10 yards to my right and head high... Very cool to ride along with him for a bit. :cool:

TC215
10-19-2022, 07:35 PM
Well, I had a good run. Finally tested positive.

Fatigue, aches, little bit of a cough, little bit of a runny nose, headache that comes and goes, 102 fever, and a little bit of brain fog.

Trying not to get my little ones sick, or my wife, who is pregnant with number 3.

blues
10-19-2022, 08:40 PM
Congrats, T, on #3.

luckyman
10-19-2022, 08:49 PM
Well, I had a good run. Finally tested positive.

Fatigue, aches, little bit of a cough, little bit of a runny nose, headache that comes and goes, 102 fever, and a little bit of brain fog.

Trying not to get my little ones sick, or my wife, who is pregnant with number 3.

Exact same situation for me. Kinda a bummer that it happened in the middle of a vacation; had to miss DC and Cancun because of it. The first bad day I was probably awake for only 3-4 hours and out of bed for maybe 45 minutes. But it coulda been much much worse.