PDA

View Full Version : USS Nimitz rejoins the fleet for one last cruise.

Borderland
02-07-2022, 07:00 PM
Hey Rob, did you see this one leave?

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2022/02/07/its-repairs-complete-uss-nimitz-heads-out-bremerton-sea-trials/6691018001/

Guerrero
02-07-2022, 07:09 PM
Is this going to be the cruise where they go back in time?

Borderland
02-07-2022, 07:21 PM
Is this going to be the cruise where they go back in time?

Zeros inbound bearing 250°, 300 miles. ;)

ccmdfd
02-07-2022, 07:48 PM
I have a hard time imaging a US Navy without the Nimitz.

If they do decommission it in 25, they need to build a new one.

AMC
02-07-2022, 11:23 PM

Splash the Zeros! I say again...splash the Zeros!

RevolverRob
02-08-2022, 01:10 AM
Hey Rob, did you see this one leave?

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2022/02/07/its-repairs-complete-uss-nimitz-heads-out-bremerton-sea-trials/6691018001/

Not this time. I saw it when it went out and came back for it's previously little issue.

We'll try to see the TR off when it goes.

Hard to imagine these ships not existing. The Kitty Hawk recently departed on her last cruise to the scrap yard.

Oldherkpilot
02-08-2022, 09:28 AM
I have a hard time imaging a US Navy without the Nimitz.

If they do decommission it in 25, they need to build a new one.

Sort of like the Enterprise and Star Fleet.

ccmdfd
02-08-2022, 09:44 AM
Sort of like the Enterprise and Star Fleet.

Yes, good analogy!

The man was just plain amazing.

Can't recommend enough Borneman's The Admirals. The story of the five-stars who won the war.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-08-2022, 10:53 AM
There is a new Enterprise planned. Start the great debate of the viability of carriers again and the shortcomings of the current air wing vs. China's area denial tactics.

As far as the movie, total cop out to zoom back to the future before the fight. I always wondered if the current weapons loads of the F/A-18s would be effective against WWII battleships and carriers. I supposed the deck of the Japanese carriers would be wrecked. I don't know but do the modern carriers carry the large AP bombs of yore. I read Norman Friedman saying that a Harpoon was equal to an 11 inch shell and a battleship could absorb a few. Don't know about carriers. In the Japanese anime (forget the name) where a modern JMSDF Kongo (or similar) destroyer lands in the past, it takes out a US carrier with what looked like a Tomahawk like missile. So nerdy!

If the the carrier had nukes, different story. I read that during prime cold war days, a modern carrier might have 30 nukes on it.

Doc_Glock
02-08-2022, 11:13 AM

I loved that movie.

ccmdfd
02-08-2022, 11:42 AM
There is a new Enterprise planned. Start the great debate of the viability of carriers again and the shortcomings of the current air wing vs. China's area denial tactics.

As far as the movie, total cop out to zoom back to the future before the fight. I always wondered if the current weapons loads of the F/A-18s would be effective against WWII battleships and carriers. I supposed the deck of the Japanese carriers would be wrecked. I don't know but do the modern carriers carry the large AP bombs of yore. I read Norman Friedman saying that a Harpoon was equal to an 11 inch shell and a battleship could absorb a few. Don't know about carriers. In the Japanese anime (forget the name) where a modern JMSDF Kongo (or similar) destroyer lands in the past, it takes out a US carrier with what looked like a Tomahawk like missile. So nerdy!

If the the carrier had nukes, different story. I read that during prime cold war days, a modern carrier might have 30 nukes on it.

IIRC Japanese carriers of WW2 were not designed well for damage control. They easily caught fire, and once that started, it was impossible to stop.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-08-2022, 11:55 AM
That was the case with the Shinano converted from a Yamato battleship. Crappy damage control led to fumes and booms. It was hit by torpedoes but modern carriers don't carry large anti surface ship torpedoes anymore. As an aside, during the Falklands war, the Argentinians were contemplating a lower level torpedo attack on the Brit carriers with Pucara turboprops and their big submarine torpedos. Planned to come in real low, below the Brit radar screen. Given the UK ships didn't have the good ol' multiple AA guns, it might have been exciting but the war ended before that.

CleverNickname
02-08-2022, 08:13 PM
I loved that movie.
Better than Top Gun.

Cory
02-08-2022, 09:44 PM
I had a model of a Nimitz class carrier in my room growing up. I read a ton about carriers and naval aviation as a kid. I wanted to become a pilot, but wound up in the Army - Thank God.

Shawn Dodson
02-09-2022, 10:24 PM
I heard the ship's whistle sound three times as she got underway Monday morning. I was headed to a meeting in the yard and didn't get to see her cruise out of Sinclair Inlet. There were a handful of ambulances in the yard Saturday morning delivering remains to Nimitz for burial at sea. I'm working on the USS Louisiana refueling overhaul project at the yard.

Tuefelhunden
02-10-2022, 01:36 PM
That's cool to see the old girl still in action. I served on the Nimitz for 2 years in the late 80's as a part of the Marine detachment (no longer a thing). She's a true legend. I was able to have my father, Uncle, Great Uncle and Grandfather on it for a family members cruise they hosted from Bremerton to Hawaii or visa versa. They still talk about it fondly.