PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Jackson / Jackson Hole, WY (Mid-March)

rob_s
02-07-2022, 12:50 PM
We are headed to Jackson Hole WY in mid-March. Wife and kids (girls, 11 and 13) fly out early to ski, then I join to do anything BUT ski. they are technically staying at Snow King Mountain Resort before I get there and then we are all staying together in an AirBnB in "downtown" Jackson when I get there. If that matters for some reason.

Specific things I'm looking for is recommendations on restaurants and such (wife and I will have at least one night out alone), specific snowmobile companies that do tours (not just rent the equipment), and other things to do in the area besides ski.

We have some sort of 4wd vehicle rented, I believe, if that matters.

One of the particular challenges I'm finding with some brief searching is that various tour-type things require meeting at this place or that place at 6 or 7 am, which isn't happening (no need to debate about it, it's not happening), require an all-day commitment, etc. Prefer afternoon/half-day activities.

RJ
02-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Did Jackson/Jackson Hole via rental car last summer. Spent a couple days at an overpriced, run-down Motel 8-10 blocks from downtown (and we were astonished at the price, too).

Anyway, we found it completely overrun with Californians. Not your run of the mill Californians, but your honest to God, granola eating, solar-powered worshipping, latte-drinking Californians. I mean, they were everywhere.

That aside, the center of town was an enjoyable walk, albeit crowded (see above). We had lunch at Liberty Burger, on N. Cache. It was good. We took the obligatory pictures at the Antler Arches. I don't recall specifics of the rest of the day, just window-shopping and typical resort town trinkets, really. We made a day drive up towards Moose, then into the Park, to a stop near Jenny Lake. It was very pretty, if cold.

1911Nut
02-07-2022, 01:53 PM
We are headed to Jackson Hole WY in mid-March. Wife and kids (girls, 11 and 13) fly out early to ski, then I join to do anything BUT ski. they are technically staying at Snow King Mountain Resort before I get there and then we are all staying together in an AirBnB in "downtown" Jackson when I get there. If that matters for some reason.

Specific things I'm looking for is recommendations on restaurants and such (wife and I will have at least one night out alone), specific snowmobile companies that do tours (not just rent the equipment), and other things to do in the area besides ski.

We have some sort of 4wd vehicle rented, I believe, if that matters.

One of the particular challenges I'm finding with some brief searching is that various tour-type things require meeting at this place or that place at 6 or 7 am, which isn't happening (no need to debate about it, it's not happening), require an all-day commitment, etc. Prefer afternoon/half-day activities.

We really enjoyed our dinner here:

The Gun Barrel | Jackson Hole's Legendary Dining Experiencehttps://jackson.gunbarrel.com

Tout and steak were both delicious and service was great.

Default.mp3
02-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Pinky G's Pizzeria was fucking delicious when I was there a few years back.

rob_s
03-03-2022, 08:29 AM
Thought I’d bump this as our trip draws near.

javemtr
03-04-2022, 04:12 AM
Just like a previous poster mentioned, I can't recommend Gun Barrel enough! Amazing meats, great service!

jellydonut
03-04-2022, 04:57 AM
Why would you go to Jackson Hole and not ski?

rob_s
03-04-2022, 05:18 AM
Why would you go to Jackson Hole and not ski?

(A) because I don’t ski, don’t want to learn to ski
(B) because the family will be there to ski and I’m meeting up with them afterwards

RJ
03-04-2022, 07:01 AM
Enjoy the trip.

Here's some cultural training for Jackson, in case it's useful. :cool:

https://youtu.be/dCer2e0t8r8

jellydonut
03-04-2022, 08:13 AM
(A) because I don’t ski, don’t want to learn to ski
(B) because the family will be there to ski and I’m meeting up with them afterwards

You should take the opportunity to learn to ski instead despite the negative association. It's always good for adult brains to try to learn a new skill. Plus, it's good exercise.

rob_s
03-04-2022, 08:28 AM
You should take the opportunity to learn to ski instead despite the negative association. It's always good for adult brains to try to learn a new skill. Plus, it's good exercise.

I'm overloaded with learning. Don't need skiing for that.

I live in Florida, and I'm a Florida native. I'm not leaving the state permanently, which means I'll never live anywhere near it, and have little interest in traveling to cold climates.

It's just not a thing. Fills zero voids.

WDR
03-04-2022, 06:23 PM
Pinky G's Pizzeria was fucking delicious when I was there a few years back.

It's a bit of a dive, establishment wise, but the pizza was pretty damn good. And I'm not really a huge pizza fan. For a cheaper meal, I'd go again. It was quite busy, but IIRC they do carry out too.

Wife and I were up there in January, and ate at a BBQ place right on the main drag, south of the road, west of the downtown area. Not a fancy place, the but the fries, fried pickles, smoked turkey, and brisket were all very good. https://bubbasjh.com/

I'm no help on the snowmobile or activities bit. We don't hang around there much when we go... Usually its just a quick trip up from Star Valley, and back before I run out patients for the California imports.

Suvorov
03-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Anyway, we found it completely overrun with Californians. Not your run of the mill Californians, but your honest to God, granola eating, solar-powered worshipping, latte-drinking Californians. I mean, they were everywhere.

While Jackson Hole may reside geographically in the State of Wyoming - it is culturally split between Kalifornia and New York. I don’t even consider it Wyoming. If the OP cares to see something real, he should spend a day or two in Cody and maybe even drop down to Thermopolus for a soak in the hot springs. Otherwise Jackson Hole is just LA with a better view.

Jim Watson
03-04-2022, 10:29 PM

One of our USPSA shooters went skiing, not for the first time, crashed and broke his collarbone into several pieces; open reduction.
Most of two months out of action, scrambling to tune back up for Sectional championship.

AMC
03-05-2022, 12:23 AM
Another vote for the Gun Barrel in Jackson. Good food, good drinks. I agree Jackson was crowded and tourist filled. We were staying at a lodge up in the Grand Tetons, and only came down for the restaurant. Kids first game meat in quite a while, so worth it.

jellydonut
03-05-2022, 02:30 AM
One of our USPSA shooters went skiing, not for the first time, crashed and broke his collarbone into several pieces; open reduction.
Most of two months out of action, scrambling to tune back up for Sectional championship.

Sure, it's definitely not a safe sport.

I learned skiing at an adult age and after falling about 300 times it has become well worth the pain. Honestly the only kind of "therapy" that has been keeping me sane the past two years.

rob_s
03-05-2022, 07:32 AM
he should spend a day or two in Cody

An additional 4-5 hours in the car isn’t really on the table.