PDA

View Full Version : Please help stop Smith and Wesson!

Al T.
08-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Not really. :D

After I got back from over seas, I picked up an M&P 15-22. Soon, all the other .22s languished in the safe, sad and lonely. The M&P with a cheap Primary Arms RDS went to the range every time and it was loved and fondled ( though not in a Navy way) by various and sundry new and old shooters.

A year of so back, I impulse purchased a S&W M63, a 3 inch, RB, stainless 8 shot .22LR. I really, really thought the DA trigger pull was too light. I registered the little Rolex wanna be with S&W that night in gleeful anticipation of torturing the Customer Service folks with multiple round trips to MA as they tried to find the problem. So, the next day I hit the range with several different flavors of .22LR goodness, like some Russian ammo that's been in the attic for a few years (12), various dusty rounds scattered loose in the tool box, Remington Kleenbore .22 Long that was factory fresh in 1967. And boy, was I wrong. :mad: That insulting POS happily popped every primer on any round that I could actually,you know, scrub the detritus off of and seat in the chamber. Man, was I steamed. All my plans, dashed. Adding insult to injury, it seemed that the little sniveling weasel had the audacity to actually hit stuff it should not have hit. Clay pigeons at 20 plus yards, 8 inch plates at 35 yards, the humiliation was awful. I was however cheered up after trying to figure out a way to recoup my losses from purchasing this imposter. A dear friend had been begging like a three year old wailing for ice cream after you had pepper sprayed him wanted my M17 S&W. So I sold him that clunky rust bucket of a .22LR boat anchor. Every time I see him at the range, I chuckle gleefully at his crazed antics trying to consistently hit a clay pigeon at 100 yards. Sadly, he's actually hitting a few, so the madness continues. (OK, on a good day with the right ammo, he's about 4 for 6, if that ain't delusional, I don't know what is)

I have found a use for the M63 - it seems that with it's awful 10ish pound DA trigger pull, it's good for folks initial exposure to a revolver. Obviously, once they experience the disaster of that trigger pull (like dragging a silk stocking across the side of a Waterford crystal vase) they will return to the world of square guns pronto. :eek:

But today was the wurst. Yep, S&W has done it again. The local GS had a S&W Shield (should have called it a Buckler, H/T TLG) for a truly stupid price. As I despise each and every one of the Cretans (and the other Greeks) that works there, I decided to purchase the Glock wannbe. My evil plan was to sell off the magazines for the stupid prices they now bring (there are no or few spare magazines available, apparently), buy two more (magazines) next year when they are available and punish those bozos at the LGS. So far, so good.

The Shield (Buckler) followed me home where I decided to shoot a few rounds down range on the next trip. It was time for me to shoot my EDC S&W 360, the best .38 ever made with a cylinder mistakenly chambered in .357. Clownshoes for those dweebs at S&W, but I digress. I decided to take several different loads and laughingly compare the mediocre accuracy of the 9mm and clunky trigger pull to the smooth buttery trigger pull of my J frame (almost 3k downrange) as it launches 148 grain marshmallows of death into nice small groups.

It began to rain as I arrived at the range. Nonetheless, I pressed on with my drills. Cold, I usually shoot Claude Werner's 5^5 drill, 5 shots, 5 yards, 5 seconds, at a 5 inch circle for a baseline with the five shot Scandium wonder. Strangely enough, despite the rain and cooler temps, I suffered heat stroke and had an out of body experience. Like Jim Cirillo in his first gunfight (but without the hair, experience and gravitas), some one had drug the Shield (Buckler) off the back of the truck, forced it into my hands and started shooting it as the buzzer sounded. Obviously, the late, great Cirillo had taken over and was running the little plastic fantastic faker. Ya know he shoots very well, as Jim was coming in at a consistent 3.8 seconds for 7 rounds with 100 % accuracy. I think he was taken with the little imp as he made me shoot about 100 plus rounds over the next half hour. Angelic possession is hard on the ammo budget.

Sadly enough, as I returned to full control of my senses, I found that I could only equal his accomplishments with the five rounds in the 360 if I cheated. Sucks to be mortal. But, hey, what's really the difference between five yards and five feet? It's all fives right? :cool:

So, friends and neighbors, help me in this fight between good and evil, S&W and those lost legions of cold, wet, abandoned, neglected, starving, unloved firearms dashed against the sharp rocks of product improvement. There is no reason (uh, except that I needed the money) that I had to sell off such lovelies like the 3913 S&W, the 10/22, the M17, the M38 (hey, the flaking nickle wasn't that bad!), the Remington 552 and the CZ 452 to defend myself from the ruthless corporate soul eater that is now S&W!

Another satisfied S&W customer, tongue firmly in cheek,

Al

NETim
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
That was fun. :)