PDA

View Full Version : DIY G19.5 dot+comp

ArgentFix
02-05-2022, 12:30 AM
What's the current thinking in dependable, somewhat affordable/DIY Glock 19 Gen 5 RDS + compensator builds? A Roland special is a bit much for me and AFIAK KKM doesn't offer a Gen 5 drop-in comp setup.

HeavyDuty
02-05-2022, 01:10 AM
What's the current thinking in dependable, somewhat affordable/DIY Glock 19 Gen 5 RDS + compensator builds? A Roland special is a bit much for me and AFIAK KKM doesn't offer a Gen 5 drop-in comp setup.

Early days for mine, but I recently went with a PMM single port kit in a 19.5 MOS. It was reasonable.

Lon
02-05-2022, 07:17 AM
If it was me I’d go with this combo when it gets back in stock:
https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/ultra-jttc-and-barrel-for-gen-5-glock/

Their single port combo is $100+ cheaper if you want a cheaper option. I’m running a single port on my G26 build.

HeavyDuty
02-05-2022, 08:21 AM
If it was me I’d go with this combo when it gets back in stock:
https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/ultra-jttc-and-barrel-for-gen-5-glock/

Their single port combo is $100+ cheaper if you want a cheaper option. I’m running a single port on my G26 build.

I went with a single port based on things I saw while researching about the dual port being more ammunition sensitive. If I were building a game gun, I’d definitely go dual port - but for a carry 19 I felt the single port was a safer bet.

HeavyDuty
02-05-2022, 08:32 AM
My Fauxland 19.5 at the moment:

GearFondler
02-05-2022, 11:14 AM
A Roland special is a bit much for me and AFIAK KKM doesn't offer a Gen 5 drop-in comp setup.

https://kkmprecision.com/product/gen-5-glock-19-match-9mm-barrel-with-4-port-compensator/

ArgentFix
02-05-2022, 11:47 AM
https://kkmprecision.com/product/gen-5-glock-19-match-9mm-barrel-with-4-port-compensator/

How did I miss that!? Thanks!

JCN
02-05-2022, 12:06 PM
My Fauxland 19.5 at the moment:

Me likey!

JSGlock34
02-05-2022, 12:16 PM
I think the G45 is the best base gun for a GEN5 Roland. All it really needs is the KKM and optic.

HCM
02-05-2022, 02:20 PM
I think the G45 is the best base gun for a GEN5 Roland. All it really needs is the KKM and optic.

I agree, a true Roland would feature a mag well which would bring it to a similar grip length.

texasaggie2005
02-05-2022, 03:35 PM
Does anyone make a comp that will fit a factory threaded 19gen5 barrel?

Nephrology
02-05-2022, 09:07 PM
I'd go with a PMM single port comp. I've entertained the idea myself, may still go this direction in the future with a G19.4 i have cut for an ACRO P-2 that I will get, uh, hopefully in time to will to my grandkids.

Default.mp3
02-05-2022, 10:06 PM
Does anyone make a comp that will fit a factory threaded 19gen5 barrel?https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/zev-pro-v2-compensator-glock-gen-5-9mm/

I am rather fond of how it attaches, compared to a regular set screw attachment. PMM also has a Gen5 specific comp.

Rick R
02-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Early days for mine, but I recently went with a PMM single port kit in a 19.5 MOS. It was reasonable.

Out of curiosity, how long does the single port make the slide? G17ish, G34 like or bigger? And do you find the muzzle blast to be much worse than a naked muzzle?

HeavyDuty
02-06-2022, 08:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how long does the single port make the slide? G17ish, G34 like or bigger? And do you find the muzzle blast to be much worse than a naked muzzle?

I don’t have a 17, but here it is alongside a 41 (same size as a 34):

I’ve only test fired it since I don’t want to waste ammunition before the final optic is mounted, but my perception is that it’s barely worse than a bare muzzle.

professor
02-06-2022, 08:25 PM

On between the 17 and 34 in length.
After 2500 rounds, I have not noticed any extra muzzle blast.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220207/5e000e3f6ea2ed13b6db035842fc0b3c.jpg

professor
02-06-2022, 08:28 PM
Does anyone make a comp that will fit a factory threaded 19gen5 barrel?

PMM does. I’m using an OEM 19.5 barrel in my G45. Get an extra shim pack, I needed it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220207/9b4fb56d123ec0a5fa3394edfb3bcc28.jpg

HCountyGuy
02-06-2022, 09:21 PM

I'm a big fan of Parker Mountain's Glock single port compensator + barrel combo. Runs fine with all sorts of ammo without needing to tune springs or anything. I will say though to make sure when you first install to lube the exterior of the barrel, particularly the barrel hood. My co-worker had issues upon first installation and after getting the contact points lubed it hasn't had an issue since.

As for dots, take your pick. If I was starting today something with an enclosed optic would be my preference, likely the 509T.

ArgentFix
02-08-2022, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Does every barrel+comp kit for the Gen 5 G19 also fit the G45? Put another way, are the uppers identical?

HeavyDuty
02-08-2022, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Does every barrel+comp kit for the Gen 5 G19 also fit the G45? Put another way, are the uppers identical?

Everything I’ve heard is that the 19.5 and 45 uppers are identical except for rollmarks, but I wouldn’t bet the bank on that without other confirmation.

HCountyGuy
02-08-2022, 08:15 PM

If you're talking about Parker Mountain Machine then yes, the barrel+comp combo works for both the G19 and the G45.

Everything I’ve heard is that the 19.5 and 45 uppers are identical except for rollmarks, but I wouldn’t bet the bank on that without other confirmation.

I've put my G45 slide with comp and barrel on a 19 lower and had it run with no issues.

professor
02-10-2022, 11:17 PM

Yes, identical.

The picture of mine I posted above is actually a g45
Frame with a G19 upper. The G19 was the only thing extra I had laying around when I got ready to send one off to be milled.

ArgentFix
02-11-2022, 10:11 PM
I'm gunna start with a G45 MOS and KKM "G19 Gen5" barrel+comp but that'll take at least 2 months to ship. In the meantime are there any particular loads I should be buying or looking to avoid?

Ongoing thanks for the advice.

ArgentFix
06-27-2022, 04:59 PM

I agree, a true Roland would feature a mag well which would bring it to a similar grip length.

This budget Roland G45 has been 100% reliable. Approx 3000 rounds since installing the RMR+comp, testing a mix of cheap 115 and 124gr Magtech, S&B, Blazer Brass and Geco (2019 Hungary mfg). Zero stoppages. The only internal change is an OEM minus connector.

That Glock knuckle though...

feudist
06-27-2022, 08:31 PM
This budget Roland G45 has been 100% reliable. Approx 3000 rounds since installing the RMR+comp, testing a mix of cheap 115 and 124gr Magtech, S&B, Blazer Brass and Geco (2019 Hungary mfg). Zero stoppages. The only internal change is an OEM minus connector.

That's why God invented wood rasps.

Same for finger grooves

ArgentFix
12-29-2022, 12:03 AM

~11,000 rounds without stoppage until Norma 124 loose-packed-in-a-plastic-can.

dammit.

Bergeron
12-29-2022, 12:11 PM
I’ve also been a person happy with the KKM. Other stuff is neat, but the KKM does get the job done.

Here’s my two FauxLand-RoLands, with their ugly-ugly stippling. If G45 or 19X had been available back then, that’s what I would have done instead.

Super77
12-29-2022, 09:57 PM
Just as a data point, I've been really happy with my PMM comps. I have a single port and a dual port on a G19 length slide and a single port on a 43X. They're not too blasty and they reduce flip and overall recoil quite a bit. The dual port likes hot ammo with the stock RSA, or a 15-17 lb spring with minor PF loads. I would have no issue using a PMM comp on a defensive gun.

ArgentFix
12-29-2022, 10:49 PM
Just as a data point, I've been really happy with my PMM comps. I have a single port and a dual port on a G19 length slide and a single port on a 43X. They're not too blasty and they reduce flip and overall recoil quite a bit. The dual port likes hot ammo with the stock RSA, or a 15-17 lb spring with minor PF loads. I would have no issue using a PMM comp on a defensive gun.

Hmph. I was leaning toward PMM for a second comped G45 build but this gives me pause. Current G45 w/ KKM has never failed to cycle with the stock RSA in 11k varied rounds. The Norma stoppage was FTFire. Granted the KKM is rather large.

Super77
12-29-2022, 11:21 PM
Hmph. I was leaning toward PMM for a second comped G45 build but this gives me pause. Current G45 w/ KKM has never failed to cycle with the stock RSA in 11k varied rounds. The Norma stoppage was FTFire. Granted the KKM is rather large.

I don’t have the round count you do, probably closer to 1500 rounds on the dual port gun. I haven’t had any stoppages with the dual port comp (or any of them), I just noticed ejection wasn’t super strong with my 130 pf loads. Shells will land 4 feet away or so instead of getting flung into grass next to the range.

DpdG
12-31-2022, 12:26 PM
I’ve got a G45 and a G19x, both fitted with PMM 2 ports and Acros. Both had issues running anything less than 124+p with the factory recoil spring, with failures to feed due to the slide not going fully to the rear. This manifested as nose-up feedway jams where the feed ledge (bottom of breech face) was engaging in the rim instead of behind it. 15lb recoil springs fixed both and will run very very reliably with everything I’ve put through them. I think the lightest loadings I’ve run were either PMC 115gr or a few rounds of unknown weight syntech and probably 2k rds of Wolf. With the OEM spring I’ve run a few (maybe 5-6) rounds of 9major and it surprisingly did not feel like it was beating the gun up too badly.

ArgentFix
01-01-2023, 12:33 AM
I’ve got a G45 and a G19x, both fitted with PMM 2 ports and Acros. Both had issues running anything less than 124+p with the factory recoil spring, with failures to feed due to the slide not going fully to the rear. This manifested as nose-up feedway jams where the feed ledge (bottom of breech face) was engaging in the rim instead of behind it. 15lb recoil springs fixed both and will run very very reliably with everything I’ve put through them. I think the lightest loadings I’ve run were either PMC 115gr or a few rounds of unknown weight syntech and probably 2k rds of Wolf. With the OEM spring I’ve run a few (maybe 5-6) rounds of 9major and it surprisingly did not feel like it was beating the gun up too badly.

Good info, thank you! From what I've gathered in this thread, the PMM 2-port is very effective but less reliable than a KKM and about the same size, while the PMM 1-port is more reliable, smaller, better for carry.

HCM
01-01-2023, 01:30 AM

I had the same issues with the PMM 2 port comp on a 320 carry.

I’ve had good luck with KKM comp / barrel combos on Glocks.

ArgentFix
02-04-2023, 10:34 PM

I'm still completely geeked about this build. In 13,000 rounds I've had exactly 12 stoppages: 12 hard primers from the same 1K case of loose Norma. Zero stoppages outside that case.

G45 base
G34 minus connector
KKM barrel + comp
Glock OEM mag well
X300U-A
RMR 06
Comp-Tac International G34 Holster

ArgentFix
07-13-2023, 09:24 PM
I'm still completely geeked about this build. In 13,000 rounds I've had exactly 12 stoppages: 12 hard primers from the same 1K case of loose Norma. Zero stoppages outside that case.

G45 base
G34 minus connector
KKM barrel + comp
Glock OEM mag well
X300U-A
RMR 06
Comp-Tac International G34 Holster

20,000 round update. I've broken one slide stop lever and one recoil spring that comically plopped out the front. No cycling failures with a variety of factory new brass ammo outside the Norma case and no stoppages that could be attributed to the KKM parts. I wish the comp was easier to remove/reattach for cleaning but damn is it reliable.

GJM
07-13-2023, 09:27 PM

Have you tried shooting these support hand only?

HCM
07-13-2023, 11:30 PM
20,000 round update. I've broken one slide stop lever and one recoil spring that comically plopped out the front. No cycling failures with a variety of factory new brass ammo outside the Norma case and no stoppages that could be attributed to the KKM parts. I wish the comp was easier to remove/reattach for cleaning but damn is it reliable.

What is your process for reattaching the comp? Are you using thread locker or a particular torque value ?

ArgentFix
07-14-2023, 02:46 AM
What is your process for reattaching the comp? Are you using thread locker or a particular torque value ?

Clean, alcohol then Loctite blue 242 on the "main shaft" threads and worm screws. The comp stops screwing in a half turn or so before it's flush with a Gen 5 19ish slide. The worm screws likewise stop when the comp is level. Let dry a couple days before use.

DaBigBR
07-14-2023, 04:42 AM
How is the OEM magwell doing? I know some guys that tried them and had issues with them popping off the front. Nobody stuck with them. I thought they would be interesting for somebody to maybe attach to the frame with a bead of silicone, epoxy, or glue and then blend with stippling.

ArgentFix
07-14-2023, 06:28 AM
How is the OEM magwell doing? I know some guys that tried them and had issues with them popping off the front. Nobody stuck with them. I thought they would be interesting for somebody to maybe attach to the frame with a bead of silicone, epoxy, or glue and then blend with stippling.

I have that same issue. When I reload "in-holster" I tend to push the mag in with my thumb and leverage with my two fingers, causing the magwell to pop off the front. A quirk that's avoidable, or at least smackable to correct. For the money and trying out the concept the OEM magwell is excellent but yeah, for serious use I'd consider an upgrade. Suggestions?

DaBigBR
07-14-2023, 06:40 AM
I use SLR Rifleworks magwells on seven guns (34, 34, 19, 19, 17, 19X, and 41) and an Edgar Sherman Design magwell on another. They're well made and I have no complaints about them other than the price. I tried an Agency Arms magwell on one gun and found that it was too low profile (I really want it for the pinky leverage as much as the magwell part). On the lower priced end, I am curious about the Strike Industries magwell but some of their stuff seems very gimmicky.

HCM
07-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Clean, alcohol then Loctite blue 242 on the "main shaft" threads and worm screws. The comp stops screwing in a half turn or so before it's flush with a Gen 5 19ish slide. The worm screws likewise stop when the comp is level. Let dry a couple days before use.

Thanks.

DpdG
07-14-2023, 07:54 PM
Have you tried shooting these support hand only?
I have shot both examples (with 15lb springs) WHO on the clock with no observed issues, but it’s not thorough testing.

EJO
07-18-2023, 06:36 PM
I have that same issue. When I reload "in-holster" I tend to push the mag in with my thumb and leverage with my two fingers, causing the magwell to pop off the front. A quirk that's avoidable, or at least smackable to correct. For the money and trying out the concept the OEM magwell is excellent but yeah, for serious use I'd consider an upgrade. Suggestions?

Check out the ZEV Pro magwell. I really like how large the opening is but what really sold it for me is how it interacts with magazine extensions. I get asked a lot at work about this extension or that extension. If you can think of it we’ve probably tried it. The only two magwells we found which would work with all extensions were ZEV and SLR. Both top notch products. For work or game guns I prefer the ZEV and for concealed carry I prefer the SLR. Hope that helps.

Blades
08-14-2023, 06:02 PM
Combat Armory has threaded G19 barrels for $21.99 (https://combatarmory.com/flash-combat-armory-barrel-fits-glock-19-new-9mm-match-grade-barrel-threaded/) if you need something cheap to try out.