PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry what you compete with?

shootist26
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun?

Is it the exact same gun(same gun type, same sights ,etc)?
Same family of guns (G34 vs G19/G26, etc)?
Same class of guns (striker fired, DA/SA, SAO, etc)?

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?

JConn
08-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Same gun for both. Literally.

Gadfly
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Compete with Glock 22 in .40 or using Storm Lake 9mm conversion.
Daily carry, Glock 26. (I am issued a Sig 229 DAK, but rarely carry it. In plain clothes, the Glock 26 conceals SO much better.)

JDM
08-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Since I shoot only a couple matches a year, and since the matches only require 50 rounds or so, I'll usually shoot my carry gun, and depending on how many JHPs are in the ammo stash, I'll shoot carry ammo in these matches, too. I see it as a good opportunity to check function of everything.

If I start competing more , I'll likely use my training pistol, which is usually a very close copy of my carry gun.

ETA: I think it's pretty important to always shoot the same gun, regardless of what you're doing. The more reps on a piece of potentially life saving equipment, the better.

GJM
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Practice with a 17 and carry a 19, 17, 22, 20 or 29 depending upon where I am. All are set up very similarly.

JHC
08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Compete with a G17, generally carry a G19, G26 and only occassionally a G17. As to whether that difference is relevant in self defense . . . [edit: deleted "yawn" which wasn't directed at the OP] ? Nope. Reason for shooting my action pistol matches with the 17? To score as high as possible vis a vis friendly competiton among shooting buddies. Nothing else at stake.

shootist26
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I compete with a Beretta 92 and carry a 92 Compact.

I do tend to spend a lot of time shooting matches, so I figured keeping the same manual of arms and trigger system would be beneficial. Second benefit is that I only need to buy one set of holsters, mag pouches, magazines, and parts.

Sal Picante
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Due to Illinois, it isn't often that I carry. When I do, I prefer Dos Equis...

Errr... I carry pretty much what I compete with: G22, sometimes a G27 with a grip extension.

I've been shooting a G35 for a bit, but that is a bit too long... Same handle and sight picture as the G22...

ToddG
08-23-2012, 05:37 PM

It's the exact same gun in the sense that the gun I wore to the range -- and wore all day the day before and will wear all day the day after -- is the gun I compete with.

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?

For me personally it's important. Competition has always been something I do for the sake of pushing and testing myself and my carry gear.

I've got absolutely nothing against people who see the game as more of a game and want to use gear they believe will help them win the game, as long as they realize they're doing it for the sake of the game.

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.

KeeFus
08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
It's the exact same gun in the sense that the gun I wore to the range -- and wore all day the day before and will wear all day the day after -- is the gun I compete with.

For me personally it's important. Competition has always been something I do for the sake of pushing and testing myself and my carry gear.

I've got absolutely nothing against people who see the game as more of a game and want to use gear they believe will help them win the game, as long as they realize they're doing it for the sake of the game.

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.

^^^This^^^

This year I've competed in sanctioned IDPA matches with my duty weapon, the M&P 45. The holster is the Safariland ALS. And while I havent done as well as I would have liked I have gained confidence in the weapon. Ive found that I wanna shoot it as fast as my M&P 9 and, well, I just cant run the 45 like I can my 9...yet.

I am considering shooting the IDPA Nationals in duty gear but I dont know how competitive I will be and I am always looking for a match bump so...I just do not know about that yet. I've got the East Coast Championships tomorrow @ Caswell Ranch and I'll be running the 45/ALS.

Other thant the 45, I also qualified (at work) with the G-19 as well as the M&P 9 that I compete with. Other than the KKM barrel its bone stock and if I could carry it at work (policy dictates only the PD weapon) I'd put the 45 back in the armory. They all have an ALS holster and IWB so I have a few options when carrying concealed.

And if memory serves, Ernie shot the Carolina Cup last year with a compact Beretta 92...? I shot the same Div/Class as him and he smoked me by 68.59 points.

shootist26
08-23-2012, 06:18 PM

does Ernie still compete with and/or carry his Beretta? If so, which model?

I unfortunately missed out of the days where he offered Beretta tuning services.

tremiles
08-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I "compete" with my carry gun/holster/everyday dress because my local range does not otherwise permit a holster draw on the line. The only other difference is a double OWB mag pouch vs velcro backed double mag pouch in a velcro lined cargo pocket.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

PPGMD
08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Ok he wants to compete with his carry gear, then why doesn't he shoot USPSA? Unlike IDPA, there is a division in USPSA that you can use your carry gear in. You may not have the most optimal equipment for your division, but if competing in your carry gear is that important, that shouldn't matter. If winning is important, then yes you have to go full gamer.

Just because IDPA, and USPSA Production/Single Stack doesn't allow your carry gear doesn't mean that you can't shoot in limited, limited 10, or open (for the people running red dots). Hell I think you can even use lasers in open, though I might be wrong.

ToddG
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Ernest is shooting and carrying a P30.

He specifically mentioned that he might shoot Limited 10 minor just to stay in it.

Corlissimo
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Ernest is shooting and carrying a P30.

He specifically mentioned that he might shoot Limited 10 minor just to stay in it.

So does that mean that AIWB is permitted in USPSA?
I've had a look through the rule book and appendices and couldn't find anything other than no holsters & mag pouches forward of the hip bone.

I've been looking to get into a shooting sport but want to use my carry gear. Any help with my weak search-fu would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris Rhines
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Production and Singlestack division require a holster behind the hip. All other divisions are open season...

_C

Corlissimo
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Production and Singlestack division require a holster behind the hip. All other divisions are open season...

_C

Thanks for that info Chris. Is that something listed in the Rule book, one of the appendices, or elsewhere? If you can point in the general direction that would be great. I'd like to get more familiar with the ins & outs.

JodyH
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I shoot IPSC Limited (classified B) with my daily carry 9mm P2000 and concealed (t-shirt) leather AIWB holster.
I shoot our local "Outlaw" CCW matches with either my P2000 or my P2000Sk using my daily carry gear.
The only gear change I make on occasion is I use a kydex mag carrier instead of my leather mag carrier to save wear and tear on my carry gear.
Horizontal mag carriers are very dependent on tension and hard sweaty range use of a leather carrier tends to loosen it up over time.

Shokr21
08-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Carry a g19 everyday that I can (college student) with trijicon sights as my only mod.

I shoot the same gun in IDPA, with the same kytex gear mag pouches. I don't wear a vest because I'm not ghey. I shoot like I carry, 3 o'clock owb with a polo as my "cover" garment. I've never been made in public, and the guys I shoot with know this is how I carry.

USPSA I shoot production or ltd 10 with a g17. I use the same kytex mag pouches just more of them. I use a Bladetech stingray holster. G17 has defoor's sights on it, when I shoot ltd 10 I put a ICE magwell just for shits and gets.

I'll be shooting single stack next year in USPSA. I'll have to get creative with mag pouches, but I'll likely use a bladetech stingray for a holster.

Chuck Haggard
08-23-2012, 11:55 PM
We carry Glock 17s at work, and I carry G19s off-duty generally, so I either use my duty rig and my G17 or my IWB holster off-duty gear and my G19 to run in IDPA or IPSC shoots.

For when we do BUG gun courses I use my BUG, a S&W 642.

LHS
08-24-2012, 12:04 AM
I shoot my daily carry gun in IDPA matches, out of my daily carry rig. I don't wear the 'shoot me first' vest, instead opting for the normal untucked shirt I use every day. The only difference between my carry rig and my match rig is the ammo (ball vs. JHP).

For me, IDPA isn't about winning the match, it's about testing my performance against myself. I want to verify whether or not my carry choices are valid and adequate. Training helps with that, but the IDPA folks come up with some weird situations that I wouldn't have thought of myself.

And yeah, the Langdon-tweaked 92 is a thing of beauty. Mine still runs like a scalded-ass ape.

BigT
08-24-2012, 02:47 AM
I normally carry some sort of Glock and game with some sort of Glock. That said I very rarely shoot matches with my carry gear. I play games to win them (or at least give it a go) so for IDPA matches I wear the shoot me vest and the staright drop Comp Tac rig and all that. And Im playing with more and more gamey parts in them.

That said I do lots of carry training with my carry gear. But don't consider games training.

CCT125US
08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
I have shot a dozen or so local matches with my carry gun. Nothing major, just dueling tree or bowling pin shoots. I always place first ot second with my P30. At AFHS in Wilmington, I ran my carry gear both days and was able to keep up with folks. I view gun games as a potential hobby right now and just don't have the time for another hobby. Between family, shooting, reloading and instructing and work, life is busy enough. I could see myself getting into it down the road and looking for every advantage. The thing that bugs me about the whole gamer vs carry debate is the fact that same just don't carry at all. I see people all the time who shoot their "carry gear" and then pack it up after the match and toss it in the trunk. On the other hand I have seen gamer guys do the same but they will have a bug on them the entire time. So from a SD standpoint the gamer is armed and the carry guy has no clue. But at least they are having a good time and providing competition. But yes, I carry / use / and compete with one gun.

NETim
08-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Yes. I may go with the 4" version in carry mode, but it's the same gun.

pdh
08-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I EDC my glock 19 and use it for IDPA. However I use different holsters fro carry and IDPA.

Bought a 17 recently so will be using that for IDPA and carrying my 19.

Everything will be the same on both guns

WyoXd
08-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Carry and compete with my G17. For matches and practice I put a Lone Wolf barrel and Jager guide rod in for my lead reloads. My gear choice usually depends on the match type or my mood.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Vinh
08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
I compete with what I carry. In my early days, it was the USP45 in Lim10. More recently, it was the P30, and now the 1911 in KSTG.

gringop
08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge with the same old nasty Gen 2 G-19 that I carry. It just got a set of fresh skateboard tape, so watch out.

Gringop

woodsk
08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I shoot my carry gear in both IDPA and USPSA production

M&P9
Blade-tech Eclipse holster
Blade-tech Tek-Lok mag pouch
Over shirt for IDPA

I am thinking about getting a M&P40 PRO for USPSA and setting it up as a limited gun. For me IDPA is where I want to get as good as I can, and USPSA is just lots of fun.

archangel
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for that info Chris. Is that something listed in the Rule book, one of the appendices, or elsewhere? If you can point in the general direction that would be great. I'd like to get more familiar with the ins & outs.

The equipment rules for the divisions are in the Appendices. As Chris said, Production and Single Stack require holsters and mags to be behind the hip bone., and you'll find that mentioned there. The other divisions, you won't find any mention of holster position. If they don't address it, it's allowed.

Lately I've been shooting an M&P9c from AIWB in USPSA competitions (Limited 10 minor), to get accustomed to both the holster position and the gun, both new to me within the last year. That is my carry setup on the rare occasions that I get to carry. (Which is to say, when I'm not in Maryland.)

If I feel more like competing than training, then I'll revert back to my SIG X5 and Blade-tech DOH, like I did earlier this month. My AIWB setup doesn't jive well with the rest of my 3-gun setup.

rudy99
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm currently switching between a G19 and M&P9 FS in USPSA, OWB holsters.

I carry a PPS, so I'm total screwed from a manual of arms perspective. However, if I shoot any IDPA matches, I'll use the PPS given the round counts usually aren't too high.

Once availability isn't an issue, I may pick up a Shield to keep things more similar between carry and competition. I guess I could use the G19 for both, but I haven't invested in the right holster for carry yet (the G19 Comptac Minotaur hasn't really worked for me).

JConn
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I normally carry some sort of Glock and game with some sort of Glock. That said I very rarely shoot matches with my carry gear. I play games to win them (or at least give it a go) so for IDPA matches I wear the shoot me vest and the staright drop Comp Tac rig and all that. And Im playing with more and more gamey parts in them.

That said I do lots of carry training with my carry gear. But don't consider games training.

I play to win when carrying too. I don't know about you but I want every advantage over my opponent when he/she/it is trying to kill me. I don't understand why you wouldn't carry the gun that you shoot the best. When I carried strong side I shot a 19 for everything because that's what I could carry. I switched to aiwb to carry a 17, because I shoot it better.

JHC
08-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I play to win when carrying too. I don't know about you but I want every advantage over my opponent when he/she/it is trying to kill me. I don't understand why you wouldn't carry the gun that you shoot the best. When I carried strong side I shot a 19 for everything because that's what I could carry. I switched to aiwb to carry a 17, because I shoot it better.

Come'on MANNNNNN. ;) I shoot a G34 or G17L a skosh better. A carbine much better.

Dr. No
08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes indeed. I carry and compete with the same pistol. HK USP .40. Only difference is my competition rig has a 2.5# single action trigger and my work gun has a 5.5# LEM. A little bit different, but not any more so that going from my pistol to my rifle.

John Hearne
08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
I carry a Sig P220 on and off duty. I shoot IDPA with it and the only tweak is a holster swap - I use an IWB in the summer but will run an OWB for IDPA. I have shot the P220 in USPSA but there really is no place for it per the rules. I'm putting together a P226 to shoot USPSA production soon.

Nephrology
08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
More or less. Carry a Glock 26, 19, or 17, and compete mostly with the 17 and the 19. Will be shooting my 26 at this year's upcoming BUG match.

The only thing I am guilty of not competing with is my j frame, which is still quite new to me, but it usually serves only as a secondary except when it is scorching out...

edit: as for gear, because I carry AIWB, no competition I am aware of will allow me to compete as such, so my rig is usually a kydex OWB.

BobM
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Most of the time I use my duty gear one the now rare occaision that I shoot a match. Once in a while I'll use carry gear, that I actually carry.

taadski
08-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm issued a P226 at work and carry it in a ALS/SLS combo (6360) on duty. I shoot Production and SSP with a personally owned 226 in an identical rig. I've dabbled with different sights but the two pistols are identical otherwise.

Off duty, I go back and forth between carrying the 226 and a 239 AIWB. I'd be pleased to have a venue other than USPSA open division to compete in carrying appendix. I haven't gone that route yet, but I may sometime soon.

T

ToddG
08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Appendix
Is
Legal
for
USPSA
Limited
and
Limited 10.

taadski
08-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Copy Todd. Thanks for that. I haven't ventured outside of the stock pistol classes at all.

T

ToddG
08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Copy Todd. Thanks for that. I haven't ventured outside of the stock pistol classes at all.

I think you'll find that there are some PF members who compete regularly in Lim or Lim10 shooting minor from AIWB because it allows them to shoot their carry gear. Is it competitive? Not at a high level, certainly. But then if one is trying to be competitive at a high level, shooting one's carry gear probably isn't a priority.

JHC
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
OrigamiAK is now competing Limited in full concealed AIWB. He's gonna break some hearts too.

Mr_White
08-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Heh. Thanks JHC. I have a lot to learn and heights of better shooting and consistency to reach though. It's been going well so far at the local level, but my schedule just doesn't allow me to compete as much as I would like to. Need to get to some majors and see how my concealed rig and I can stack up.

One thing I really like about shooting Limited Minor from concealment is that it's harder. With these self-imposed difficulties, I have to shoot the As and draw and reload from concealment that much better to hang with other people. Surely this is all to my ultimate benefit by creating more pressure for me to be better than if I shot a different rig without concealment and more advantageous caliber.

JB326
08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I compete with my duty gun, a Gen 4 G34. My plain clothes/ off duty gun is a 19, and I keep a 17 as a spare. All three are set up in an identical manner as far as sights, levers, triggers, etc.

JodyH
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
One thing I really like about shooting Limited Minor from concealment is that it's harder. With these self-imposed difficulties, I have to shoot the As and draw and reload from concealment that much better to hang with other people.
Exactly why I do the same thing (IPSC Lim/Min/concealed).

Corlissimo
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
The equipment rules for the divisions are in the Appendices. As Chris said, Production and Single Stack require holsters and mags to be behind the hip bone., and you'll find that mentioned there. The other divisions, you won't find any mention of holster position. If they don't address it, it's allowed.

Lately I've been shooting an M&P9c from AIWB in USPSA competitions (Limited 10 minor), to get accustomed to both the holster position and the gun, both new to me within the last year. That is my carry setup on the rare occasions that I get to carry. (Which is to say, when I'm not in Maryland.)

If I feel more like competing than training, then I'll revert back to my SIG X5 and Blade-tech DOH, like I did earlier this month. My AIWB setup doesn't jive well with the rest of my 3-gun setup.

Thanks for the information Archangel. I wasn't sure if it was a case of "Not specified = Legal". That makes this a much more attractive activity for me, especially since my goal is strictly to compete with myself and get practical use of my EDC setup. Thanks! :cool:

Corlissimo
08-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I think you'll find that there are some PF members who compete regularly in Lim or Lim10 shooting minor from AIWB because it allows them to shoot their carry gear. Is it competitive? Not at a high level, certainly. But then if one is trying to be competitive at a high level, shooting one's carry gear probably isn't a priority.

I like this. I know I'll never be a "competitive" shooter even if that were my goal. But, proving my setup is "real-world functional" for me is a major goal.

One thing I really like about shooting Limited Minor from concealment is that it's harder. With these self-imposed difficulties, I have to shoot the As and draw and reload from concealment that much better to hang with other people. Surely this is all to my ultimate benefit by creating more pressure for me to be better than if I shot a different rig without concealment and more advantageous caliber.

This is my thinking exactly. Not so much from an overall competition perspective, but to stress myself in an effort to grow my skills. As an aside, your journal has also been something that has helped me to identify areas I should be paying attention to, and even overcome some obstacles I've encountered. Thanks for sharing your journey Origami.

BigT
08-31-2012, 06:51 AM

I take carry very seriously . I just don't confuse it with gaming. Its not like I carry a snubby and compete with a 17. I carry a full size pistol almost always. Normally a G21 or a 19. And the smallest thing I every carry is a 26. Which is on very rare occasion.

Its just that my game gear is set up to game. I have sights and triggers etc set up to optimise my score. Not the same mods I will necessarily do to a carry gun.

My carry get gets lots of trigger time as well as dry fire. Just not at matches.

rockymtnnut
09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I shoot the same gun in the same holster that I am carrying so therefore I don't win a lot but I don't see the reason personally to use a pistol or holster that I would not normally carry. I can't afford to change to a set up I wouldn't normally carry just for the sake of better times or scores. If I could maybe I would but I don't know.

C45P312
09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
With my local club matches, i usually set goals on what i want to work on whether its speed, accuracy, manipulation, every day carry draw, etc.

I carry a G19 and use either my G17 or G19 for club matches. Both have the same setup regarding sights and extended mag stop and slide stop.

Alaskapopo
09-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Depends on the game. For USPSA no. For IDPA I generally use my Glock 17 duty gun and most of the time in my duty rig for work. For three gun I sometimes shoot my duty guns to stay familiar with them but its not as competative to shoot a SCAR 17 in open and a 14 inch 870 with a Glock 17. My SCAR has two optics (Nightforce 2.5-10 and a off set R1 aimpoint)
I do attend LEO only matches and of course use my duty guns for that.

jlw
09-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Yes, no, and maybe.

In IDPA, I compete wearing duty gear. My issued duty weapon isn't IDPA legal as it is a G18C; so, I substitute a G17 in it's place for IDPA; however, with no WMLs allowed I switch the holster as well. I use the same design holster but just one that doesn't accomodate a light. I often carry a Glock 37/X300 on duty, and while I have shot it in IDPA on the club level, it forces me to run 200pf against folks shooting 125pf. If it were allowed in CDP, I'd be all over using it for IDPA.

I do shoot the above mentioned G37 in GSSF Heavy Metal. Also in GSSF, I shoot my venerable G19 in Guardian. This was long my off duty carry gun when at a previous agency.

Sometimes I go old school and carry a wheelgun, and I have carried the same wheelgun that I use in IDPA SSR. Likewise for when I venture into ESR.

For IDPA CDP, I adopted the M&P45 because I can't use my G37 or G38, the G21 is too big for my hands, and the 1911 just doesn't work for me.

DVCPrepper
09-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Carry:
G17 in shoulder holster, S&W 442 w/CT Laser in SS OWB

Competition:
G17 in SS OWB in ESP because I stipple my grips. Makes the gun as fast as a 9mm 1911 ya know!

The laser and shoulder holster obviously are not "real world" enough for IDPA. LOL

LittleLebowski
09-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Carry:
G17 in shoulder holster, S&W 442 w/CT Laser in SS OWB

Competition:
G17 in SS OWB in ESP because I stipple my grips. Makes the gun as fast as a 9mm 1911 ya know!

The laser and shoulder holster obviously are not "real world" enough for IDPA. LOL

I don't think the shoulder holster is safe enough for competition.

Alaskapopo
09-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Yea I have had guns pointed at me enough times as an RO to know shoulder rigs are not a good idea in competition. I don't care for them in real life either. They are easier for an attacker to draw in close proximity than they are for you. I think they have a place for pilots and drivers but thats about it.
Pat

Mr_White
09-24-2012, 03:05 PM
My issued duty weapon ... is a G18C

That is completely awesome.

DVCPrepper
09-24-2012, 05:29 PM

I don't think it is for most competitors either. It's the shooter not the holster that is unsafe. Same reason I like cold ranges unless the shooters are vetted.

Stuffbreaker
10-18-2012, 09:29 AM
My USPSA Production, IDPA SSP and Steel Challenge iron sight gun is a 5" M&P Pro. Its one of my HD pistols, but not a regular carry gun. My carry gun is most often a P2K SK which I shoot in BUG matches. I started shooting competitively with what I carried, was satisfied with my competency, but wanted to level the playing field. Just won my first IDPA overall last weekend.

1986s4
10-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Same family of firearm type: DA/SA with one exception. I have a SA only CZ 75, trigger tuned by Angus Hobdell. This is a competition only pistol, fun to shoot and makes me look good...
I carry and compete with:
Beretta 92G
HK P-30

robot
10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I shoot an Open Gun or a N-frame revolver for USPSA.

I haven't shot my carry gun much, but I did shoot it once in competition, a Kimber CDP Elite II Ultra with a Crossbreed Supertuck at the recent IDPA bug match, and I won! :)

so there are basic skills that you will learn and hone by shooting other guns.

Gorris
12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I use the same XD service 9mm for competition that I carry.

MDFA
12-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks SS2 backed up with a Mitch Rosen SOS with a Spare Magazine and Surefire 6P.

Off Duty or IDPA Competition it's the same all the time. As a matter of fact it's what I'm wearing now.

Back up is a S&W 642 with a Speedloader.

JonInWA
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
All of my competition guns are also used as carry guns (ok, with the exception of my p.08 Luger). I use the same holsters for IDPA that I use for carry-generally a Blade-Tech IWB (for all my Glocks and 1911s), a Kramer IWB (for my Beretta 92D) and either a Kramer or a Blade-Tech IWB for my Ruger revolvers (Kramer for the GP100, Blade-Tech for the Security Six). My Hi Power is carried in a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster, and my Ruger P89 in a Blade-Tech IWB. I do admit to amping up on spare magazine/speedloader pouches-whereas in "real life" I normally only carry one spare magazine the gun is a doublestack magazine, I'll carry 2 in a dual magazine pouch in IDPA (for my single-stack guns, I always carry 2 spare magazines as a matter of course). For revolvers, in "real life" I carry at least one Bianchi Speed Strip in a upsidedown belt pouch for my reload, and usually i speedloader carried loose in a dedicated pocket; in IDPA competition, I use a dual speedloader pouch, and either a third single pouch or the Safariland Comp III is carried loose in my vest pocket. My first loading for each stage is done, however, with a Bianchi Speed Strip for practice.

If I'm shooting a match, the match gun will be the carry gun of choice for 1-2 weeks preceding the match and will also be the subject of dryfire and any life-fire practice.

Best, Jon

greenyoga
12-29-2012, 01:49 AM
No,not at all.

EChryst
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't carry what I compete with, I compete with what I carry.

psalms144.1
01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I haven't shot any competition in over a decade, except for an occasional walk-in at a local IDPA "match" just for giggles, but, I have never had enough money to afford a "competition" or "training" gun that was not also my "carry" gun.

Since I am not now, and never likely will be, paid to shoot competitively, all competition, for me, was a way to hone my skills and have fun - so I always shot with my "carry" gun of the day.

Regards,

Kevin

okie john
01-09-2013, 05:14 PM

This.

Same pistol, same holster, same belt, same mag carrier. I wear it to the range, switch to FMJ for the match, then reload with JHPs and drive home.

Okie John

Gorris
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I just sold my XD that I planned to compete with and purchased a Glock 17 gen 4. Now I have to find a holster for IDPA. I already ordered a Foxx hybrid for CCW.

Arclight
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't carry what I compete with, I compete with what I carry.

This.

+1.

JV_
02-03-2013, 06:16 PM
How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun? I carry a Gen4 Glock 34.

I have to change it out for a Gen4 17 when I shoot KSTG because I want to shoot for score.

When I shoot IDPA or USPSA, which I plan to do more regularly this year, I use my 34.

JConn
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I carry a Gen4 Glock 34.

I have to change it out for a Gen4 17 when I shoot KSTG because I want to shoot for score.

When I shoot IDPA or USPSA, which I plan to do more regularly this year, I use my 34.

Lame gamer.

JV_
02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Lame gamer.Guilty. :p

Kyle Reese
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
I carry a Gen 4 Glock 17. I compete with a Gen 4 Glock 17. :)

Rex Kramer
02-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Hey all, first post...

I'm not even close. Right now my main game gun (IDPA) is an M&P9 with the Apex comp setup. My carry gun (though I do occasionally shoot it in IDPA) is a P30 with a light LEM in it.

Just to keep my trigger finger a little more confused I just picked up a CZ75 Shadow to play with. Variety I guess...