PDA

View Full Version : P365XL Katana magwell by Eclipse

JCN
01-29-2022, 09:48 PM
Thanks to JCS for finding this. He knew I had been looking for something like this to complete my Timmy gun.

Will not fit on a Wilson Combat grip without some modification.

Will fit on a Boresight Razorback.

I put it on an XL grip.

It really helps lock down the pinky and I think it will help with recoil management similar to the MR920 magwell.

https://empirepbf.com/products/the-katana-for-sig-p365

HeavyDuty
01-29-2022, 10:18 PM
Looks like they’re doing one for the WC XL grip frame soon:

https://empirepbf.com/collections/sig-aftermarket-parts/products/the-katana-for-wcp365-xl

GearFondler
01-30-2022, 01:52 AM
JCN, your Timmy Gun is stupid and I'm jealous.

;)

Bergeron
01-30-2022, 07:26 AM
The “pinky-wedge” effect is nice on other guns, it’s easy to imagine it happens on the Katana as well.

How’s the bulk? Does it make carrying or printing much different?

CraigS
01-30-2022, 08:00 AM
One of the mags for my PX4c has a mag base plate that has a similar but smaller feel. I really like that so I can see how it would be great on your P365XL.

JCN
01-31-2022, 09:01 PM
The Katana pinched the grip down just a little to the point where some mags wouldn’t drop free as well. So took some snap ring pliers and massaged the inside to make a little more space and everything drops free very well now.

Put one of my RMSx optics on it and I think that’s full Timmy.

TOTS
02-02-2022, 07:56 AM
The Katana pinched the grip down just a little to the point where some mags wouldn’t drop free as well. So took some snap ring pliers and massaged the inside to make a little more space and everything drops free very well now.

Put one of my RMSx optics on it and I think that’s full Timmy.

Almost…the full Timmy guys will complain about “no enclosed emitter”.

JCN
02-02-2022, 09:01 AM
Almost…the full Timmy guys will complain about “no enclosed emitter”.

Hey, when the Holosun EPS comes out I’ll remedy that!

Honestly though, for most concealed carry application I would rather have a larger window than an enclosed emitter.

For something that was OWB open carried, probably an enclosed though.

LittleLebowski
02-03-2022, 08:36 AM
Holding out for the wakizashi model.

JCN
03-08-2022, 07:06 PM
Looks like they’re doing one for the WC XL grip frame soon:

https://empirepbf.com/collections/sig-aftermarket-parts/products/the-katana-for-wcp365-xl

I got an email they’re taking pre-orders for the WC magwell expected April 1st.

Bergeron
03-31-2022, 06:28 PM
FYI: Wilson Combat-compatible Katana magwells are now available for pre-order, with an anticipated ship date of April 15th. Wilson Combat modules are also in stock.

JCN
04-03-2022, 08:45 PM
My regular WC magwells and the brass ones are both being shipped out on the 15th per Katana.

Will be putting together a comped XL for AIWB USPSA tacticoolopen.

JCN
04-07-2022, 05:42 PM

JCN
04-12-2022, 04:19 PM

1More
04-12-2022, 10:04 PM
Tried the Katana, found I liked it in static dry fire after putting it on my 365XL (stock grip). Went to shoot it: the larger grip on the bottom which felt good static didn't translate to dynamic shooting. My hand up top stayed loose and the gun swam in my hand in recoil delaying recovery. I don't have monster hands; I wear xl gloves, I can almost but not quite palm a basketball, and I've got A Lot of meat below my thumb and opposite that on the other side of the base of my hand (the brevii and the abductor digit minimus). I've got some time running smaller guns; I actually like the 938 and it doesn't swim much with a little gun focus (i.e. I know I'm not getting my support hand into the grip and my shooting hand thumb drops to the 'sig' position on the back of my support hand to make sure the slide doesn't butcher my oversized trapezium at the base of my shooting hand thumb). What I found with the eclipse on my 365XL is that the good feel at the base of the gun interfered with a tight control grip throughout my shooting hand. Groups were a lot looser with the eclipse. If this was a service issue weapon, I could train to work around it, but it's not and I don't have a compelling reason to working around it in this case. So far, my results are: Stock XL grip #1, Boresight Solutions Razorback #2, Stock XL with Katana #3. It's too bad; I can't speak to durability, but the Katana is a really nice piece, went on well, lined up precisely, and does seem a little more positive for reloads. Also, I didn't have any issues with magazines dragging; all inserted and dumped freely. Concealment is (just)slightly worse, but still well below the threshold of noticeable (I carry AIWB, 15% body fat).
In the end, I think I was drifting into the realm of trying to make a little gun into a big gun for my purposes, and found why no one makes a pistol with a skinny grip up by the trigger and a fat part down at the bottom. For what it's worth, it's similar to what I experienced with the Razorback - it's nice and tight lower in my hand my hand, but the skinny part in the middle lets the gun swim under recoil. Surprisingly for me, the overall shape of the stock grip is slightly better despite the theoretical advantages of the Razorback or the Stock+the Katana. No, haven't tried the Katana + the Razorback... I wish Sig made an 'L' version of the 365XL grip module. For what it's worth in comparison; with a Gen1 X Carry, a 'L' Compact grip works better in my hands under recoil than the stock 'M' Full Size grip.

JCN
04-13-2022, 05:33 AM
1More

I found the opposite. The magwell was great for recoil control and the Wilson Combat plus Eclipse is my favorite combination.

Here’s me goofing off with an SAS with magwell and WC.

https://youtu.be/F2O4JqbLkVc

1More
04-13-2022, 06:15 AM
1More

I found the opposite. The magwell was great for recoil control and the Wilson Combat plus Eclipse is my favorite combination.

Here’s me goofing off with an SAS with magwell and WC.

https://youtu.be/F2O4JqbLkVc

Thanks...you are one of the facilitators that got me excited about the prospects for this little-big gun. I suspect it comes down to hand shape; I consistently get more bearing surface on the gun with the all stock grip. It just didn't lock in the way I expected it would. With a strong grip it still swam in my hand more. Maybe there's some nuance there I can work on to improve overall (regardless of gun) regarding uneven tightness through my shooting hand. There's always something.
In any case I'll still try the Razorback with the Katana soon to see if that doesn't produce some weird voodoo that works better for me. One added note; the Katana itself is a nice part and worth what they charge.

JCN
04-13-2022, 08:04 AM
In any case I'll still try the Razorback with the Katana soon to see if that doesn't produce some weird voodoo that works better for me. One added note; the Katana itself is a nice part and worth what they charge.

The Wilson Combat grip has a little more circumference and blends better shape wise with the magwell.

Do you find that your palm is hanging over the magwell? I could see it being harmful if the hands were too large but I wanted to make sure that it wasn’t a grip technique issue. If you could post a video or picture of your hand grip that might help.

https://youtu.be/WVT7sXJEUhU

This is how my hand wraps.

1More
04-13-2022, 10:23 PM
The Wilson Combat grip has a little more circumference and blends better shape wise with the magwell.

Do you find that your palm is hanging over the magwell? I could see it being harmful if the hands were too large but I wanted to make sure that it wasn’t a grip technique issue. If you could post a video or picture of your hand grip that might help.

https://youtu.be/WVT7sXJEUhU

This is how my hand wraps.

Thanks- I’ll post a pic tomorrow. Its not so much hanging over the magwell(thought it does) as opposed to my grip is tight at the bottom and loose at the top.
As an aside,
I love those little big tac guns you post.