PDA

View Full Version : Popped the cherry.

DBLAction454
08-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Fired a SW 500 Magnum with a 4" barrel yesterday. The power was unbelievable. I couldn't believe I felt the shockwave hit me in the face.

A very nice gentleman next to me and my buddy on the range let us try it out. He also let me try his SW 460 with 460 load and 454 casull load.

He's now got me hooked and I'll be buying a 500 very shortly

-DBLAction454

Chuck Haggard
08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Thank that guy.

One of my buds let me touch off a full cylinder from his .500, I felt bad later when I realized I had just spent $20+ in that one string of fire.

I'd go for the .460, you can shoot .454 and .45Colt in the same gun, cheaper that way.

DBLAction454
08-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Thank that guy.

One of my buds let me touch off a full cylinder from his .500, I felt bad later when I realized I had just spent $20+ in that one string of fire.

I'd go for the .460, you can shoot .454 and .45Colt in the same gun, cheaper that way.

I thanked him multiple times and begged him to let me give him some cash for the rounds. I remember seeing 500 ammo at the store being like $3 per round but he wouldn't accept anything.

-DBLAction454

LOKNLOD
08-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I thanked him multiple times and begged him to let me give him some cash for the rounds. I remember seeing 500 ammo at the store being like $3 per round but he wouldn't accept anything.

-DBLAction454

I had an acquaintance (dont know him very well) let me put a few rounds of .338 Lapua Mag through his Sako w/ suppressor, it was great fun but everytime I worked the bolt I saw a $5 bill going in and out of the chamber.

I would love to shoot a .500! I have little need for any of the massive calibers but boy they're fun to shoot every once in a while :cool:

Little Creek
08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I have a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 454. We are talking an honest 1800 fps with a 260 grain bullet. I know of a reduced load with a 250 grain bullet at 1300 fps, a hair more than a 44 magnum. This revolver even with Houge "Tamer" grips and Magnaport 4 port rifle style porting produces about all the recoil I can stand without developing a flinch. I have killed deer with this revolver as well as S&W 44 magnum revolvers.

I have shot several 500 S&W magnums. The price of ammo is not an issue for me. The recoil is an issue for me. I am sure the recoil would induce a terrible flinch in short order and then I would starting missing. Then there is the sore hands thing.

Sparks2112
08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
First time I shot a couple of thousand dollars worth of rounds out of a MK19 (assuming a $200 tax stamp for each round as a civy) I was pretty juiced.

jslaker
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
.500 magnum is a rifle round disguised as a handgun cartidge.

derekb
08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
.500 magnum is a rifle round disguised as a handgun cartidge.

A handi-rifle in the .500 makes a fascinating prospect for Indiana deer seasons, should I ever decide to particpate in one.

Chuck Haggard
08-25-2012, 12:08 AM
The longer barreled .500 was surprisingly easy to control, much less recoil than a model 29 with full house loads.

Little Creek
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
The longer barreled .500 was surprisingly easy to control, much less recoil than a model 29 with full house loads.

yeah, right!

BobM
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I shot a 4" 500 once. Three rounds of 500 Special was fairly comfortable; but two rounds of Magnums was all I cared to shoot.

arthury
08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Fired a SW 500 Magnum with a 4" barrel yesterday. The power was unbelievable. I couldn't believe I felt the shockwave hit me in the face.

A very nice gentleman next to me and my buddy on the range let us try it out. He also let me try his SW 460 with 460 load and 454 casull load.

He's now got me hooked and I'll be buying a 500 very shortly

-DBLAction454

You should thank him a lot and may be offer to pay him for the ammo. The ammo ranges from $2 - 6 per round, if factory.
Even handloaded ones still cost quite a bit.

Watch your grip when you are shooting 400gr or heavier bullets with magnum loads. And, if your shooting hands do not have a lot of calluses, you might want to get yourself a glove. Blisters develop pretty fast even if it's just 2 boxes of ammo.

I have this same revolver. It's quite addicting to shoot the 500SW.

Google for John Ross and you will be totally sucked into it. His articles are quite interesting.

Once you get your revolver, handloading and casting bullets may be your next steps. They are simply beautiful things to have if you want to control everything.

KenpoTex
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Very cool...I've never gotten to try the .500 but I have a buddy who has the .460. That is definitely a fun gun to shoot with all three options (.45, .454, .460). I'd love to touch off a few through a .500 sometime.

will_1400
09-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I shot half a box of 180 gr UMC .44 Mag through my dad's Super Redhawk once. Tamara said those things are mini-flashbangs, and I'll vouch for that. Just 2 cylinders later and I had a "flinch of biblical proportions" to borrow a phrase from LAV. Hell, it took me 5 mags of .22 LR (10 rounds per mag) to make me quit flinching. Honestly, if you need more firepower than a .44 Mag, just get a fracking rifle already.

But if the .500 floats your boat, have at it. PM me if you're in the Omaha area and I'll see about paying for the ammo on a shared range trip. :D

Mitchell, Esq.
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I've been able to shoot a 500 magnum with a 4 inch barrel once.

It was a blast. The flash was incredible, the bang immense, and I would LOVE to do it all day long!

Just not on my dime.

Tamara
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
In my experience, the 8 3/8" .500s seem to have more perceived recoil than the 4" guns. I do not know if this is due to muzzle velocity differences and the fact that, with magnum loads, most of the powder is still burning when it leaves the 4" tube, or if it's all in my head, or what.

As a kinda-sorta Smith collector, should I ever happen upon a 4" X-frame for the right money, I'll need to get it. Just for the collection, of course.

JV_
09-11-2012, 01:13 PM
I've been able to shoot a 500 magnum with a 4 inch barrel once. Me too, my buddy wanted me to fire the whole cylinder. I handed it back, after that one shot, and said "no thanks".

Kyle Reese
09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Me too, my buddy wanted me to fire the whole cylinder. I handed it back, after that one shot, and said "no thanks".

Remember the guy at the nra range who claimed to pioneer the use of the 500 in Iraq for SF?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

JV_
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Remember the guy at the nra range who claimed to pioneer the use of the 500 in Iraq for SF?I sure do, it's sad.

Tamara
09-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Remember the guy at the nra range who claimed to pioneer the use of the 500 in Iraq for SF?

We can't let our Special Forces be outgunned by Israeli tank crews, which is who the Deagle was designed for.

BWT
09-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I sure do, it's sad.

Sad that Rear Command wouldn't let him take it as far as the program needed to go. Some guys are just forward thinkers, and sometimes... what can I say, organizational inertia. What do they know? The warfighters know what that man tried to do for his country, some people just get in the way of progress.

(ETA: Because sometimes, conventional wisdom needs to be thrown to the wind, and you don't know when to stop) I mean, do you know how many operators I've met? Personally? That have the same story. I've heard it a million times (no... really... a million times) It's a heart-breaking state of affairs at Naval Special Warfare, Marine Special Operation Command, Delta Force and honestly just SOCOM in general. You know what's heart breaking?

Employee Retention. That's Right. I said IT. Employee Retention, the real travesty. You know how many guys just come straight out of those programs and do what? Gain 150 lbs and where can they go? Gunshows. Gunstores. Yeah, they were unsung heroes before battling for this country in space battles and what not, they'll go to gun stores and give advice that I'm sure they won't be thanked for there too. Silent Professionals, that's what they are... or used to be, because now they have to give unsolicited advise, because that's their gift to you! You can't teach a dog new tricks, tell a tiger not to have stripes and you can't stop a Samurai Master from training Padawans. Those men will be there every Saturday, with sage words and hard earned insights for you, whether you want it or not. Because it's not what you want but what you need.

Maybe you two need to figure out two words. "Thank You." How about that. You can't handle the truth! They're not too proud or too good to let you know how good that Hi Point really is, and what an industry sleeper it is. It's just as good and Yes, you should magna-port that Ruger LCP. Who needs anything other than a Mosin-Nagant? I'm just saying what had to be said.

;)

(I sincerely hope the sarcasm was picked up)

DanH
09-14-2012, 05:10 AM
(I sincerely hope the sarcasm was picked up)

Well, it might have been, but for some reason my sarcasm detector exploded.

Tamara
09-14-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm just saying what had to be said.

As someone who spent many years behind a gun store counter, I just want to say that I heart this post so much!