PDA

View Full Version : Rough Time For City of Houston-Area/Harris County-Area LE

Rex G
01-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Shortly after the sad death of off-the-clock Harris County Sheriff’s Deputy Crowder, already being discussed in another P-F thread, these events happen:

https://abc13.com/charles-galloway-deputy-constable-killed-houston-police-officer-shooting-in-southwest/11501185/

https://abc13.com/harris-county-sheriffs-office-sergeant-ramon-gutierrez-officer-hit-and-killed-drunk-driver/11503997/

I did not personally know any of them, but being retired Houston PD, and my wife being retired from the Harris County M.E.’s office, this is not the best of times.

blues
01-24-2022, 02:32 PM
Houston has (unfortunately) been one of the bellwethers of the direction of the nation under the current political climate.

My condolences, Rex.

Rex G
01-24-2022, 08:55 PM
Thanks, blues.

OlongJohnson
01-24-2022, 09:03 PM
I thought we (as in the Houston community - I am not LE) put on a pretty solid demonstration of how to do things when the Floyd protests kicked off here.

Hope we can get through this well.

WobblyPossum
01-24-2022, 09:10 PM
Awful news. My condolences, Rex.

paherne
01-24-2022, 11:47 PM
RIP. Sergeant and Deputy Constable.

jnc36rcpd
01-25-2022, 02:04 AM
Sorry for the loss of your colleagues, Rex. Tough time to be a cop in this nation.

revchuck38
01-25-2022, 06:16 AM
Rex G - Damn. So sorry to read this.

HCM
01-25-2022, 08:44 AM
Not just LE.

Road rage is on the rise as well. A man was recently killed in the parking lot of a Chuck E. Cheese pizza restaurant where he was celebrating his child’s sixth birthday after exchange of words on the man over the suspect driving the wrong way through the parking lot.

https://abc13.com/amp/man-shot-outside-chuck-e-cheese-humble-father-killed-calogero-duenes/11499824/

TC215
01-27-2022, 07:44 PM
Three more Houston officers shot. The (short) video I’ve seen is pretty wild. Bad guy opened up on them with an automatic weapon.

Totem Polar
01-27-2022, 07:46 PM
Three more Houston officers shot. The (short) video I’ve seen is pretty wild. Bad guy opened up on them with an automatic weapon.

Ooof. Cartel? Or…?

TC215
01-27-2022, 08:07 PM
Ooof. Cartel? Or…?

tv/CZQBYthAWMH

TC215
01-27-2022, 08:36 PM
https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/255842873351158/

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/255842873351158/

Borderland
01-27-2022, 08:52 PM
Holy Guacamole. Cop car got stitched, jess like in the movies.

I thought the news report just had it wrong when they said automatic weapon.

The po po will probably be getting some snipers into the scrum now. Homie don't play those games.

Totem Polar
01-27-2022, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I will be interested to see if any more details on that one are forthcoming. That’s some animal firepower for a typical US street.

Clusterfrack
01-27-2022, 09:46 PM
I really feel for our LEOs. My cop friends have expressed their concerns about greatly decreased support for use of force, combined with increased personal risk. It’s a terrible combination, and at a time when we need more good cops.

Borderland
01-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I will be interested to see if any more details on that one are forthcoming. That’s some animal firepower for a typical US street.

Shot in the head from long range would be my guess. Could be wrong.

We don't call LE snipers anymore, do we? What's the politically correct term?

Totem Polar
01-28-2022, 12:48 AM
I really feel for our LEOs. My cop friends have expressed their concerns about greatly decreased support for use of force, combined with increased personal risk. It’s a terrible combination, and at a time when we need more good cops.

+1, most def

jnc36rcpd
01-28-2022, 02:39 AM

Marksman/Observer was trendy a few years ago. It may now be Marksperson/Observer or, in agencies like my former employer, just Observer.

secondstoryguy
01-28-2022, 04:59 AM
Houston is by far the largest exporter of violent criminals in Texas...many of the hyper-violent criminals that we deal with in central Texas have their roots in Houston. Their court system is broken with guys comittting high level aggratvated offenses (like shootings) only to get out before the officer even completes the paperwork. Its a good time to be a bad guy and a bad time to be a good guy.....

andre3k
01-28-2022, 05:22 PM
I haven't checked in here in a long time. It's been busy with my new assignment. Automatic weapons are becoming an issue. I recovered two Glock auto sears from suspects during my time in Gangs. Now they're being found on weapons consistently.

We lost an officer in October from a suspect with Glock auto sear. Now this happened yesterday. With 3D printers the genie is out of the bottle. Full auto AR's are popping up talking to my buddies that still work Gangs I'm sure its only a matter of time before those become mainstream. The Glock switches started out here as a trickle before they really took off.

Heres a pic of the gun used during the initial shootout. Suspect left it in the car and transitioned to another pistol My best guess is that is looks like a pistol mounted in one of those CAA Micro Roni kits.

SWAT engaged the shooter at his house a few different times while he was barricaded. He finally surrendered when they started tearing the house down on his ass with an armored Bobcat skid steer. Quite a few shields did their job yesterday. Here's a pic of one that took some rounds.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220128/f145a00919f85c2a313945747482fd3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220128/8cc584f976eb0f2eb352538cdb913b24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

blues
01-28-2022, 05:24 PM
Be safe, andre3k...our thoughts are with you and those you serve with.

TC215
01-28-2022, 06:27 PM
I haven't checked in here in a long time. It's been busy with my new assignment. Automatic weapons are becoming an issue. I recovered two Glock auto sears from suspects during my time in Gangs. Now they're being found on weapons consistently.

We lost an officer in October from a suspect with Glock auto sear. Now this happened yesterday. With 3D printers the genie is out of the bottle. Full auto AR's are popping up talking to my buddies that still work Gangs I'm sure its only a matter of time before those become mainstream. The Glock switches started out here as a trickle before they really took off.

Heres a pic of the gun used during the initial shootout. Suspect left it in the car and transitioned to another pistol My best guess is that is looks like a pistol mounted in one of those CAA Micro Roni kits.

SWAT engaged the shooter at his house a few different times while he was barricaded. He finally surrendered when they started tearing the house down on his ass with an armored Bobcat skid steer. Quite a few shields did their job yesterday. Here's a pic of one that took some rounds.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220128/f145a00919f85c2a313945747482fd3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220128/8cc584f976eb0f2eb352538cdb913b24.jpg

Are you in Motors now, or did I imagine that?

Be safe.

Coyotesfan97
01-28-2022, 08:05 PM

We still called them snipers but marksman is PC I guess.

HCM
01-28-2022, 08:16 PM
Ooof. Cartel? Or…?

As Andre3k mentioned with 3D printing of AR DIAS and boat loads of Chinese / Ali baba /wish.com Glock full auto bank plates smuggled in declared as “air soft” gun parts full auto is increasingly common amongst the the thug set.

rdtompki
01-28-2022, 10:05 PM
... He finally surrendered when they started tearing the house down on his ass with an armored Bobcat skid steer. ...
A new and, of course, to be applauded addition to the force continuum. Extra credit for urban renewal. There will be some who are alarmed at the prospect of crushing a suspect not having had his/her/its day in court. Never mind the risks to law enforcement as gunfire is exchanged.

HCM
01-28-2022, 11:24 PM
A new and, of course, to be applauded addition to the force continuum. Extra credit for urban renewal. There will be some who are alarmed at the prospect of crushing a suspect not having had his/her/its day in court. Never mind the risks to law enforcement as gunfire is exchanged.

I believe this is the vehicle in question

https://therook.ringpower.com

Totem Polar
01-28-2022, 11:55 PM
As Andre3k mentioned with 3D printing of AR DIAS and boat loads of Chinese / Ali baba /wish.com Glock full auto bank plates smuggled in declared as “air soft” gun parts full auto is increasingly common amongst the the thug set.

Understood.

Hell of a thing, that.

andre3k
01-29-2022, 12:14 PM
I believe this is the vehicle in question

https://therook.ringpower.com

83448Yep thats it. I didnt know those existed. It works.

andre3k
01-29-2022, 12:22 PM
Are you in Motors now, or did I imagine that?

Be safe.Yeah, back on a bike. Hopefully, I'll be here until I retire.

Coyotesfan97
01-29-2022, 01:14 PM

That’s a tactic that’s been around for a long time. I know a retired LASD K9 handler/trainer who told how SEB used those. We’ve used rams on our armored cars to do the same thing.

If the suspect is actively shooting starting a fire to drive the suspect out is an option too. Burning gas grenades through the holes knocked in the house works.

UNM1136
01-29-2022, 01:21 PM

That is why I am still FTOing, despite the stress, frustration, and aggrivation and liability. These kids (and more impressively, not such kids) are hearing the call and stepping up in spite of everything they see and hear. They deserve as much support as humanly possible. To paraphrse Bill Cosby, they deserve a running start before they slam into the wall. I am not entirely sure I would choose this career today. Uncle Pat used to famously say that if he had it to do over again he would be a firefighter.

The pay is much better than when I came out. The retirement plans have morphed over the years in some positive and some negative ways. It seems to have balanced out, but there are no more 20 year retirements here, the traditional draw for cops in my state. So you have to put up with more shit longer than ever before to reach retirement.

An interesting side effect is that people are fleeing many of the largest agencies (biggest agency in the state's SWAT team is at 50% strength, and Canine is at 30%, traditionally two units units with high liability, long long waiting lists and the ability to pick exactly who they wanted) who are imposing new rules and procedures, and smaller agencies who have traditionally had difficulty filling spots are wait listing people and being far more selective as they fill up positions.

These new cops that have the bottle to step up and begin a career protecting and serving in today's environment deserve our utmost respect and support. They have mine. I just wish we could shorten the rookie stage. You train them and teach them and prepare them and they go out and make a lot of bad, bad decisions as they learn to apply their knowledge and training. Giving them respect and support does not mean not being pissed off and frustrated when they do something they were trained to do, screw it up, and have consequences to face. Potentially bad screw ups can happen to any cop, at any point in their career, but in the rooke years are they are far more frequent.

I will continue to train cops as long as they will let me. Gotta pay it forward as much as possible.

pat

Rex G
01-30-2022, 12:03 PM
Now that I seem to have healed my feet and knees, I am willing to go back to riding shotgun with an active officer, if HPD would start a reserve system, or re-start a part-time program that re-hired some retired officers. As far as I know, neither has been implemented, but, I wonder if it is being seriously considered. A recent local news story recently provided the statistics about local LEOs leaving LE, and then, largely, letting their Texas Peace Officers’ licenses expire. (The role COVID may have played, in that, was not mentioned. I let my TCOLE license expire, in September 2021, if I calculated it correctly, when I could have kept it active, by attending classed at the HPD academy, during the panic-demic, but, I could probably get it caught up, right quickly.)

The Houston Police Officers pension system is not set-up to allow officers to be re-instated, but the work-around was to re-hire the retirees as part-time, contract employees, to work admin type roles. I would do that, to help keep more folks in patrol, but, really, if my skill-set is almost 34 years of night-shift patrol, with 27 years of FTO-ing, and seven years of evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, please, let me armor-up, and help my brothers and sisters in patrol.

What really irks me, is officers coming under fire, immediately, when a traffic stop is made, as we saw with Corporal Galloway, or at the end of a pursuit, as we saw with the incident in which three officers were shot, with the “ghost gun.” It would be helpful, for a shotgun rider to be able to engage, immediately, while the driver secures the horses.

One thing that I advocated, in the Eighties, was four-officer patrol vehicles, in the really bad parts of town. Evan Marshall wrote that Detroit PD was doing that, in those days, and Houston, being an oil-boom town at a time when the rest of the USA was in a recession, was vying with Detroit for murder capital of the USA. The barrios being populated by a significant number of war/political refugees from the Latin American civil conflicts contributed to the life-is-cheap effect. (Of course, nobody listens to what rookies are saying.)

UNM1136
01-30-2022, 01:01 PM
One thing that I advocated, in the Eighties, was four-officer patrol vehicles, in the really bad parts of town. Evan Marshall wrote that Detroit PD was doing that, in those days, and Houston, being an oil-boom town at a time when the rest of the USA was in a recession, was vying with Detroit for murder capital of the USA. The barrios being populated by a significant number of war/political refugees from the Latin American civil conflicts contributed to the life-is-cheap effect. (Of course, nobody listens to what rookies are saying.)

I think I was at a gang conference a couple of decades ago and heard that was exactly how LAPD CRASH units rolled.

pat

Coyotesfan97
01-30-2022, 01:38 PM
I think I was at a gang conference a couple of decades ago and heard that was exactly how LAPD CRASH units rolled.

pat

When I was with the state gang task force we were rolling three to four deep while we’re doing doing the West Side Crips detail. This was after several Phoenix Officers were shot at ambushed in the area.

claymore504
01-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Been living in the Houston area since about 1983. Things have slowly gotten worse, but recently it has become real bad. I live out in the Katy area and there have been several major issues out here lately. The harris county judge and DA are a major part of the problem along with the war on police being started by Obama administration and continued by the media. I have a buddy I served with in Iraq that has worked for San Antonio PD for many years now and is looking at a career change. Its very sad. He loves being an LEO, but it is just not worth it to him anymore.

HCM
01-30-2022, 11:00 PM
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/01/30/man-who-allegedly-shot-injured-3-hpd-officers-now-facing-federal-charges-court-documents-show/

Court documents showed that the gun Caballero used in the shootout was an illegally-modified Glock handgun with a red switch on the back, KPRC reports.
Documents also showed multiple weapons, including modification parts and a 3-D printer, were found inside the home after officers conducted a sweep.

Man who allegedly shot, injured 3 HPD officers now facing federal charges, court documents show

willie
01-31-2022, 01:50 AM
Now that I seem to have healed my feet and knees, I am willing to go back to riding shotgun with an active officer, if HPD would start a reserve system, or re-start a part-time program that re-hired some retired officers. As far as I know, neither has been implemented, but, I wonder if it is being seriously considered. A recent local news story recently provided the statistics about local LEOs leaving LE, and then, largely, letting their Texas Peace Officers’ licenses expire. (The role COVID may have played, in that, was not mentioned. I let my TCOLE license expire, in September 2021, if I calculated it correctly, when I could have kept it active, by attending classed at the HPD academy, during the panic-demic, but, I could probably get it caught up, right quickly.)

The Houston Police Officers pension system is not set-up to allow officers to be re-instated, but the work-around was to re-hire the retirees as part-time, contract employees, to work admin type roles. I would do that, to help keep more folks in patrol, but, really, if my skill-set is almost 34 years of night-shift patrol, with 27 years of FTO-ing, and seven years of evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, please, let me armor-up, and help my brothers and sisters in patrol.

What really irks me, is officers coming under fire, immediately, when a traffic stop is made, as we saw with Corporal Galloway, or at the end of a pursuit, as we saw with the incident in which three officers were shot, with the “ghost gun.” It would be helpful, for a shotgun rider to be able to engage, immediately, while the driver secures the horses.

I urge you to consider working in the training academy. Nobody else there has your knowledge.

willie
01-31-2022, 02:25 AM
A relative worked in the parole division of the prison system. He said that many 1000's of parole violators live in Houston. They leave the prisons, go to Houston, and disappear. My city has 18,000 outstanding traffic warrants. This high number indicates our high degree of noncompliance, and from these data I think we can extrapolate and derive a fair profile of the community's citizens.

One solution to the violence facing our police officers is having folks say this is enough and vow not to tolerate the behavior. I grew up in a Deep South state that dealt with this type thing in an unconstitutional manner regardless of race. I don't favor this but do recall that time. I know something about the nature of criminals and their capacity for harming others. I realize that many are low IQ persons. Dope good and bad has burned up their minds which were feeble to start with. I took some courses in the sociology of toads and frogs and thus am qualified to comment on the feeble minded and other incompetents among us.

Wayne Dobbs
01-31-2022, 12:55 PM
Houston has always been what I've called a "gunfight laboratory" and this is no exception. I do wonder why somebody in that crowd didn't settle down and shoot that asshole in the back as he ran away still armed.

HCM
01-31-2022, 01:32 PM
Houston has always been what I've called a "gunfight laboratory" and this is no exception. I do wonder why somebody in that crowd didn't settle down and shoot that asshole in the back as he ran away still armed.

A valid question. A long gun or an optic equipped pistol would’ve made that easier.

I don’t know if it’s already been posted here but my understanding is the one officer who is seen running from the driver side of the ambush vehicle did so because he was shot in the elbow rendering him unable to draw his pistol.

HCM
01-31-2022, 01:35 PM
I urge you to consider working in the training academy. Nobody else there has your knowledge.

While I don’t disagree that Rex G could make valuable contributions at his old agency’s training academy, Do you have any direct experience or knowledge that no one else there has equivalent experience? Or are you presuming?

Gadfly
01-31-2022, 04:35 PM
I am proud of how fast Houston PD homed in on Deputy Galloway's killer. My Coworkers from the HSI Gang Unit were out on the hunt that very night, but only ended up finding the suspects relatives (who have been charged with destruction of evidence and aiding/abetting).

HPD managed to track the bad guy via traffic cameras to a certain point. Once the lost him on the big streets, the began checking the closest apartment complex security cameras. Within a couple of hours, they found the complex the guy went to to switch cars, and saw what apartment he went into... a very impressive effort to track him down.

It has gotten wild here. We currently lead the nation in Homicides, I think we are up to 41 so far this year. Well past NYC, Detroit, Chicago, LA... Our local DA is releasing folks left and right, and the effects are pretty evident.

One of my coworkers was followed from the bank last week. Crooks waited until he went into our building and proceeded to break into the vehicle (G ride). Agents spotted this from the building and ran down to confront. I have to be sparse on detail here... but a confrontation occurred, resistance ensued, and shots were fired. No serious injuries on either side, bad guys in custody. The point of this... the bad guys were laughing and joking about it. It was pointed out to them that one of them came damn close to death, and the other would have been charged with his murder under TX law if rounds had connected on his buddy. They laughed and told our guys they would be out that same night, and now they have a cool story and more street cred, since the feds shot at them. They had no clue they were trying to rob a fed, they just followed him from the bank.

It has always been a bit wild west down here in some parts of Houston. But man, since covid, and the new DA releasing everyone no bond, it has turned up the volume of crazy.

willie
02-01-2022, 06:28 AM
While I don’t disagree that Rex G could make valuable contributions at his old agency’s training academy, Do you have any direct experience or knowledge that no one else there has equivalent experience? Or are you presuming?

I have direct evidence which has given me this knowledge. No disrespect to you sir, but I must ask. Did you assume that I presumed?

Rex G
02-02-2022, 11:10 AM
A valid question. A long gun or an optic equipped pistol would’ve made that easier.

I don’t know if it’s already been posted here but my understanding is the one officer who is seen running from the driver side of the ambush vehicle did so because he was shot in the elbow rendering him unable to draw his pistol.

I have no inside knowledge of this incident, but, yes, one draw-back of a Level 3 rig is that un-holstering with the support-side hand is no easy task. An old-school break-front allows gross motor skills to be used, after reaching across the front of the body, but the Safariland 6360, which is probably still the standard HPD duty rig, is a much taller hill to climb. The task could well be complicated by slippery blood, on the weapon and/or hands. A self-evacuation, while able to do so, may well have been the best choice, in a moment of no good choices.

A back-up weapon that is accessible to the support hand may not be the best weapon for engaging at extended range.

It is not unusual to take hits in the hands and arms. At the time I retired, I was acquainted with two HPD sergeants who had taken GSWs to the arms, one of whom had been hit in BOTH arms, before he could draw any weapon.

TGS
02-02-2022, 04:12 PM
It is not unusual to take hits in the hands and arms. At the time I retired, I was acquainted with two HPD sergeants who had taken GSWs to the arms, one of whom had been hit in BOTH arms, before he could draw any weapon.

Life of the typical Houston PD Sergeant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_cUTmQykc

BobM
02-02-2022, 05:59 PM
I have no inside knowledge of this incident, but, yes, one draw-back of a Level 3 rig is that un-holstering with the support-side hand is no easy task. An old-school break-front allows gross motor skills to be used, after reaching across the front of the body, but the Safariland 6360, which is probably still the standard HPD duty rig, is a much taller hill to climb. The task could well be complicated by slippery blood, on the weapon and/or hands. A self-evacuation, while able to do so, may well have been the best choice, in a moment of no good choices.

A back-up weapon that is accessible to the support hand may not be the best weapon for engaging at extended range.

I was able to access my 5906 with my weak hand from an SS-III when we had those, but I don’t think I was able to get my M&P that way from a 6360. My solution was a compact M&P worn in a body armor holster on my right side, available to my left hand. Of course, I was also younger and more flexible in the 5906 days.

andre3k
02-02-2022, 11:40 PM
Houston has always been what I've called a "gunfight laboratory" and this is no exception. I do wonder why somebody in that crowd didn't settle down and shoot that asshole in the back as he ran away still armed.I'm glad the department finally started releasing BWC videos of OIS's. They didn't do it for years after we got body cams.

As to why they didn't shoot the suspect in the back as he was running away, my guess is that none of them wanted to be the guy that shot the suspect in the back as he was running away. These were all rookie officers coming up in the age of BLM and defund the police. The optics of a perceived "bad shoot" weighs more on these newer officers than it should, especially when it effects decision making during a gunfight.

HCM
02-02-2022, 11:58 PM
I'm glad the department finally started releasing BWC videos of OIS's. They didn't do it for years after we got body cams.

As to why they didn't shoot the suspect in the back as he was running away, my guess is that none of them wanted to be the guy that shot the suspect in the back as he was running away. These were all rookie officers coming up in the age of BLM and defund the police. The optics of a perceived "bad shoot" weighs more on these newer officers than it should, especially when it effects decision making during a gunfight.

I was told one of the officers (the one shot in the foot) had / assessed for a shot but chose not to because there were people in the immediate backstop.

Rex G
02-03-2022, 07:26 AM
I'm glad the department finally started releasing BWC videos of OIS's. They didn't do it for years after we got body cams.

I “Liked” this, due to being in sad agreement, not because I like the reality of the statements.

On the one hand, I am grateful that I retired from HPD, in 2018, oblivious of what was about to happen, in 2019/2020. On the other hand, now that that I have recovered from the chronic fatigue, and rehabilitated my left shoulder and knees, a part of me wants to step back into that crazy ring/cage/thunderdome, because I see the greater Houston area community as being under siege. (We live in a smaller, independent city, wholly surrounded by the sprawling amoeba of Houston.)

andre3k
02-26-2022, 04:05 AM
Dept released BWC video from this incident. Plenty of lessons to be learned here.

https://youtu.be/yaQ-w4OS7bk

Rex G
02-26-2022, 10:44 AM
Dept released BWC video from this incident. Plenty of lessons to be learned here.

Whoa. Yes, plenty of lessons. Especially the multiple unintended mag drops. (I wonder if he had installed an extended mag release? If so, that, at least, is a hardware issue.)

Not just shooting issues were present. I deeply empathized with that officer’s difficult egress from the passenger-side doorway. One of the significant factors, in my decision to retire, was the difficulty in sliding out from under the MDT, dealing with the toy-ish door latch, stepping over the rather high edge of the door threshold, wishing that accursed door would swing FARTHER OPEN, and then exiting through the passenger side of those miniaturized Ford Explorer-based Police Interceptors. To exit smoothly, the best method seemed to be to pivot around the right seat bolster, but that left me facing away from a threat located to the front of the vehicle.

Rex G
02-26-2022, 10:51 AM

I had to turn down the sound; our dogs were traumatized by this video. (Violent Hollywood movies do not bother the dogs. There is acting, and, there is reality.)

WobblyPossum
02-26-2022, 01:08 PM
Whoa. Yes, plenty of lessons. Especially the multiple unintended mag drops. (I wonder if he had installed an extended mag release? If so, that, at least, is a hardware issue.)

Not just shooting issues were present. I deeply empathized with that officer’s difficult egress from the passenger-side doorway. One of the significant factors, in my decision to retire, was the difficulty in sliding out from under the MDT, dealing with the toy-ish door latch, stepping over the rather high edge of the door threshold, wishing that accursed door would swing FARTHER OPEN, and then exiting through the passenger side of those miniaturized Ford Explorer-based Police Interceptors. To exit smoothly, the best method seemed to be to pivot around the right seat bolster, but that left me facing away from a threat located to the front of the vehicle.

The two unintended magazine drops from the first officer’s bodycam also immediately stuck out to me. I wonder if something about the grip he was able to establish in this stressful situation caused his hand to activate the magazine release. The guns in the video look like Sig P320s to me. I believe HCM might have previously mentioned seeing some people in our agency inadvertently drop partially loaded magazines with the issued P320s. I can only imagine the added stress of having your first two magazines inadvertently eject while partially loaded during a gunfight. Then he shot his third mag to slide-lock and attempted to reload and realized his remaining mags were on the ground. My heart rate increased a little watching the officer, with a now empty pistol, have to run up to pick up the second magazine that had inadvertently ejected from the gun in order to stay in the fight.

andre3k
02-26-2022, 01:23 PM
The two unintended magazine drops from the first officer’s bodycam also immediately stuck out to me. I wonder if something about the grip he was able to establish in this stressful situation caused his hand to activate the magazine release. The guns in the video look like Sig P320s to me. I believe HCM might have previously mentioned seeing some people in our agency inadvertently drop partially loaded magazines with the issued P320s. I can only imagine the added stress of having your first two magazines inadvertently eject while partially loaded during a gunfight. Then he shot his third mag to slide-lock and attempted to reload and realized his remaining mags were on the ground. My heart rate increased a little watching the officer, with a now empty pistol, have to run up to pick up the second magazine that had inadvertently ejected from the gun in order to stay in the fight.I'm trying to find out was causing the magazine drops, I contacted some people that might have some insight.

WobblyPossum
02-26-2022, 01:27 PM
I'm trying to find out was causing the magazine drops, I contacted some people that might have some insight.

Please let us know what you learn if you’re able to share the info.

AMC
02-26-2022, 05:38 PM
I'm trying to find out was causing the magazine drops, I contacted some people that might have some insight.

I have seen poor, compromised grip while under time stress cause this with both Glocks and Sig 226's. Haven't had enough folks with enough rounds down range on 320s to see it happen yet with that platform, but likely most guns are vulnerable to compromised grip issues. Due to the grip/mag release design I can totally see it.

It looks like the 2nd mag may not have fully seated after the hasty in-battery reload. Common with a fully loaded mag and slide forward.

HCM
02-28-2022, 02:26 AM

https://cityofhouston.news/investigation-into-shooting-incident-at-7800-tidwell-road/