PDA

View Full Version : RMSw on a P365XL?

HeavyDuty
01-20-2022, 09:41 AM
I’ve been considering picking up a P365XL, but red dot options seem limited. I’ve been wondering about the Shield RMSw, I like the large dot and glass lens options. I’m hoping someone here has tried the combination.

1. Can anyone confirm these will direct mount and seal on a P365XL?

2. Is the built in rear sight viable on a P365XL? Was a new, taller front sight required?

3. How does brightness work with these? Is it automatic or manual? If automatic, is it workable?

I’ve been resistant to trying Shield due to concerns about stateside support, but the RMSw seems to check a lot of boxes.

GJM
01-20-2022, 09:45 AM
The RMSc is probably a safer choice, based on units shipped. 4 and 8 moa sots are available. It has auto intensity only. The built in rear sight is vestigial but adequate.

HeavyDuty
01-20-2022, 09:51 AM
Thanks - I need to familiarize myself with what RDS will direct mount on these. Holosun may be a safer (and cheaper) option for now.

frozentundra
01-20-2022, 10:06 AM
Holosun just announced EPS Carry (closed emitter) that should mount directly to p365XL. I think they said will ship Q1 or Q2 of 2022.

I'm holding out for this on my P365XL. I'll probably buy it through the Brownells affiliate link on P-F. It should qualify for Brownells "Guaranteed Forever" policy, so if I don't like it, or they release a more desirable version in the future, I can simply cash it back in and loose no money. That is really nice.

https://youtu.be/lszj3aVyNM0

HeavyDuty
01-20-2022, 10:26 AM
Holosun just announced EPS Carry (closed emitter) that should mount directly to p365XL. I think they said will ship Q1 or Q2 of 2022.

I'm holding out for this on my P365XL. I'll probably buy it through the Brownells affiliate link on P-F. It should qualify for Brownells "Guaranteed Forever" policy, so if I don't like it, or they release a more desirable version in the future, I can simply cash it back in and loose no money. That is really nice.

https://youtu.be/lszj3aVyNM0

This may well be my best option.

frozentundra
01-20-2022, 10:47 AM

Even if you buy a different product through Brownells now, if it qualifies for the Guaranteed Forever policy, you should still be able to cash it in for store credit on a Holosun EPS Carry in the future. This also reduces some of the potential problems associated with customer support from the manufacturers. And it supports P-F if you buy through the affiliate link.

I think this is a pretty cool arrangement!

I've considering purchasing a 407K/507K to hold me over until the EPS is ready to ship. This is assuming Brownells will carry the EPS, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. Also, I'm not sure how fast the turnaround is on Brownells part for their guarantee. It may be worth a try though. If it wasn't the middle of winter here, I'd be more inclined to order something now, but mid-January through March is not a great time for shooting where I live, so I may just wait it out. All of my shooting is done outdoors.

HeavyDuty
01-20-2022, 11:00 AM
Even if you buy a different product through Brownells now, if it qualifies for the Guaranteed Forever policy, you should still be able to cash it in for store credit on a Holosun EPS Carry in the future. This also reduces some of the potential problems associated with customer support from the manufacturers. And it supports P-F if you buy through the affiliate link.

I think this is a pretty cool arrangement!

I've considering purchasing a 407K/507K to hold me over until the EPS is ready to ship. This is assuming Brownells will carry the EPS, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. Also, I'm not sure how fast the turnaround is on Brownells part for their guarantee. It may be worth a try though. If it wasn't the middle of winter here, I'd be more inclined to order something now, but mid-January through March is not a great time for shooting where I live, so I may just wait it out. All of my shooting is done outdoors.

Also, I have no problem with the idea of just shooting the XL with irons until the RDS options sort themselves out.

JCN
02-01-2022, 12:50 AM
I’ve been considering picking up a P365XL, but red dot options seem limited. I’ve been wondering about the Shield RMSw, I like the large dot and glass lens options. I’m hoping someone here has tried the combination.

1. Can anyone confirm these will direct mount and seal on a P365XL?

2. Is the built in rear sight viable on a P365XL? Was a new, taller front sight required?

3. How does brightness work with these? Is it automatic or manual? If automatic, is it workable?

I’ve been resistant to trying Shield due to concerns about stateside support, but the RMSw seems to check a lot of boxes.

I have the RMSx which is the same size base as the RMSw and it works fine and seals fine. Automatic light sensor is excellent. I like large windows and for me it’s probably more important and a priority over a closed emitter.

There’s a noticeable performance advantage for me in using the larger window over something traditional like a 407/507k or RMSc even.

HeavyDuty
02-01-2022, 07:16 AM
I have the RMSx which is the same size base as the RMSw and it works fine and seals fine. Automatic light sensor is excellent. I like large windows and for me it’s probably more important and a priority over a closed emitter.

There’s a noticeable performance advantage for me in using the larger window over something traditional like a 407/507k or RMSc even.

I don’t think I’d want such a large (read wide) window on a defensive carry P365. At this point I’m planning on the new EPS Carry.

RJ
02-01-2022, 07:44 AM

I have been using a 407k for a while on my P365X. Been observing a fair amount of lint on the lens, both sides. It requires regular PM to ensure it's more or less clean. The interior glass surface, in particular. Getting a MF towel in lately I've used the eraser end of a pencil to squeegee the glass. Appears to be working, but I suspect an enclosed emitter would be easier to wipe.

I'm on the fence whether the juice for me (Florida) of buying an enclosed emitter for carry is worth the squeeze of cost upgrade to an EPS.

I was attracted by the new Holosun solar-sensing algorithm in the SCS line discussed at SHOT. This appears to be a vastly improved algorithm with additional light sensing LED to better adapt MRDS brightness to ambient lighting.

Now if the EPS line up comes out with the adaptive light sensing capabilities of the SCS...that would be cool.

HeavyDuty
02-01-2022, 07:55 AM
Have you tried a lens pen?

I haven’t heard anything about adaptive brightness in the EPS, but I wouldn’t be surprised, either. Fingers crossed.

RJ
02-01-2022, 08:06 AM
Have you tried a lens pen?

Thanks, yes, an inexpensive one from Amazon. I guess there are lens pens, and lens pens, and maybe the one I got is the former. It didn't work very well, compared to a damp MF cloth, but I'm no optician for sure.

D-der
02-01-2022, 08:07 AM
I have been using a 407k for a while on my P365X. Been observing a fair amount of lint on the lens, both sides. It requires regular PM to ensure it's more or less clean. The interior glass surface, in particular. Getting a MF towel in lately I've used the eraser end of a pencil to squeegee the glass. Appears to be working, but I suspect an enclosed emitter would be easier to wipe.

I'm on the fence whether the juice for me (Florida) of buying an enclosed emitter for carry is worth the squeeze of cost upgrade to an EPS.

I was attracted by the new Holosun solar-sensing algorithm in the SCS line discussed at SHOT. This appears to be a vastly improved algorithm with additional light sensing LED to better adapt MRDS brightness to ambient lighting.

Now if the EPS line up comes out with the adaptive light sensing capabilities of the SCS...that would be cool.

A lens puffer brush works pretty well, easy...
I just blow on it once or twice a week, good to go

Trapper7327
03-30-2022, 02:36 PM

How are you liking the RMSx on your p365 so far? You have the only example I've seen on an oem slide at this point.

JCN
04-01-2022, 06:48 AM
How are you liking the RMSx on your p365 so far? You have the only example I've seen on an oem slide at this point.

I like it. I wish the refresh rate was a little faster but it’s only noticeable in low light. In bright light the brightness smooths the flicker.

Bigger windows (or bigger virtual windows with a circle dot reticle) are easier to shoot, especially on smaller guns with a lot of muzzle rise.

I have a Katana magwell for a Wilson combat grip coming in and when that arrives, I’m going to try making a compensated XL when Up1911Fan sends back my slide.

Trapper7327
04-01-2022, 10:40 AM
I like it. I wish the refresh rate was a little faster but it’s only noticeable in low light. In bright light the brightness smooths the flicker.

Bigger windows (or bigger virtual windows with a circle dot reticle) are easier to shoot, especially on smaller guns with a lot of muzzle rise.

I have a Katana magwell for a Wilson combat grip coming in and when that arrives, I’m going to try making a compensated XL when Up1911Fan sends back my slide.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Haven't seen that magwell but will take a look. I have the PMM barrel/comp on my Xslide with the hs507k but was thinking about grabbing the RMSx to try out the bigger window. If Shield added a circle dot option (or even something really sweet like the acss vulcan reticle), I'd probably grab one without hesitation.

D-der
04-02-2022, 04:58 AM
Any reliability issues with the PMM comp with
range ammo, Blazer, S&B etc. through carry loads?
I'm back and forth, don't want to cross the reliability line.

Trapper7327
04-02-2022, 10:34 AM
Any reliability issues with the PMM comp with
range ammo, Blazer, S&B etc. through carry loads?
I'm back and forth, don't want to cross the reliability line.

It missed returning to battery once by about a 1/4" during the first mag but the slide was also brand new at the time. After that, no issues at all. It's had S&B, Prvi, Critical Defense and HST through it (about 300 total).

APS-PF
04-03-2022, 03:53 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Haven't seen that magwell but will take a look. I have the PMM barrel/comp on my Xslide with the hs507k but was thinking about grabbing the RMSx to try out the bigger window. If Shield added a circle dot option (or even something really sweet like the acss vulcan reticle), I'd probably grab one without hesitation.

Trapper7327, what kind of tape do you have on your grip and are you happy with it? The factory texture tears up my side in the summer when I'm just wearing one shirt. I googled the name and found some MMA wraps but they don't look the same as yours.
thanks, Adam

Trapper7327
04-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Trapper7327, what kind of tape do you have on your grip and are you happy with it? The factory texture tears up my side in the summer when I'm just wearing one shirt. I googled the name and found some MMA wraps but they don't look the same as yours.
thanks, Adam

The tape on the forward left/thumb dustcover area is skateboard grip tape. It's never come off on its own and I just replace it with a tiny stencil I made whenever the texture wears down. The tape over the palm swell is just porous athletic tape (Meister from Amazon, I think, but I've used several types). It's more comfortable for carrying appendix but I like it mostly to add just a touch of girth in that area.