Pages : [1] 2

HCM
01-17-2022, 04:25 PM
Looks like FN is getting back into the P-35 game

Lex Luthier
01-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Looks like FN is getting back into the P-35 game

<golf clap>

I wonder if this will make SA and Tisas shape up their inspection process?

HCM
01-17-2022, 04:30 PM
<golf clap>

I wonder if this will make SA and Tisas shape up their inspection process?

You mean SA/Tisas ? Lol

Now they need an optics ready version.

Lex Luthier
01-17-2022, 04:36 PM
You mean SA/Tisas ? Lol

Now they need an optics ready version.

Heh. Sorry, I had read the SA thread and concluded that the two manufacturers were not making stuff for each other. (something something rear sight cuts. My memory might be faulty.)

Do you mean FN making an optics-ready version, or the Kemal-come-latelies making one?

HCM
01-17-2022, 05:06 PM
Heh. Sorry, I had read the SA thread and concluded that the two manufacturers were not making stuff for each other. (something something rear sight cuts. My memory might be faulty.)

Do you mean FN making an optics-ready version, or the Kemal-come-latelies making one?

I think both should come out with an optics ready version.

In fact I would probably sell one factory cut for an armRCC with the factory mounted optic as a package.

call_me_ski
01-17-2022, 05:40 PM
A rail would go good with those ambi controls.

EMC
01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Excellent, competition for SA is a good thing.

Jim Watson
01-17-2022, 06:06 PM
There are visible differences from late P35s, looks like they have gone back to an internal extractor, a complicated looking right side slide stop lever, which may be a separate takedown latch. Coarse checkering on the front strap, maybe cast in. Different sights, burr on hammer is very high, maybe high enough to avoid bite without putting on the beavertail the manufacturers hate. It ain't your grandpa's High Power.

Daniel Watters
01-17-2022, 06:08 PM
FN America’s webpage hasn’t gone live yet, but here is the link:

https://fnamerica.com/highpower

Note that the barrel now locks up on the slide’s ejection port. There is a separate takedown lever. The extractor appears to be internal, and the magazine disconnect safety pin is missing from the trigger. The slide and barrel almost appear to be shorter, but this might be a visual effect from the grip being lengthened for a 17-round magazine.

MRW
01-17-2022, 06:12 PM
Ambi-controls and front strap checkering are nice factory options. Interested if these will assembled in Portugal like the old ones or made in South Carolina. It's cosmetic, but I like the FN roll mark. They released a run in the early 2000s with them and I still kick myself for not picking one up then.

TheNewbie
01-17-2022, 06:23 PM
I wonder if these will have a firing pin safety and NO magazine safety.

farscott
01-17-2022, 07:06 PM
Is it wrong to hope for a new BDM based on the new FN P-35? The BDM was pretty sweet in "revolver mode" and a very thin pistol.

Elwin
01-17-2022, 07:09 PM
...but this might be a visual effect from the grip being lengthened for a 17-round magazine.

Bleh. They had me until this part. One of the best things about a Hi Power is that it's an SAO G19L/G17K.

Not that I'm going to buy one regardless, but I think this choice abandons the gun's natural niche as a very capable SAO concealed pistol.

Jim Watson
01-17-2022, 07:15 PM
Looks like the SA and Tisas are closer copies than FN.

Inkwell 41
01-17-2022, 07:24 PM
A bit disappointing. I wish they had left well enough alone. The P35 was a proven design and with a few MINOR tweaks is still viable. This is an entirely new design, unproven and unvetted.

Caballoflaco
01-17-2022, 07:25 PM
Ambi-controls and front strap checkering are nice factory options. Interested if these will assembled in Portugal like the old ones or made in South Carolina. It's cosmetic, but I like the FN roll mark. They released a run in the early 2000s with them and I still kick myself for not picking one up then.

Assembled in........Turkey

TheNewbie
01-17-2022, 07:29 PM
Assembled in........Turkey

Is this a joke or real info? Please the former.

Caballoflaco
01-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Is this a joke or real info? Please the former.

It’s a joke. We won’t know until we know, but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility.

JAH 3rd
01-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Wonder if Ruger is going to reintroduce their P-series pistols from decades past. Probably not.

Paul D
01-17-2022, 07:51 PM
Wonder if Ruger is going to reintroduce their P-series pistols from decades past. Probably not.

No need. I have all their models. :cool:

42Willys
01-17-2022, 07:54 PM
If it locks up on a cutout on the barrel and not grooves on the top of the barrel is it really a P35?:rolleyes:

Suvorov
01-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Very interesting. The cynical side of me thinks this might be a half cooked scheme to cash in on the the BHP craze that became apparent when SA introduced their clone but maybe this is something they have been cooking up for a while? It does appear to have inherited some features of the FNX and later FN pistols. I wonder what the holster compatibility will be?

TiroFijo
01-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Looks like a P35 cousin that fell off the ugly tree...

HCM
01-17-2022, 08:21 PM
FN America’s webpage hasn’t gone live yet, but here is the link:

https://fnamerica.com/highpower

Note that the barrel now locks up on the slide’s ejection port. There is a separate takedown lever. The extractor appears to be internal, and the magazine disconnect safety pin is missing from the trigger. The slide and barrel almost appear to be shorter, but this might be a visual effect from the grip being lengthened for a 17-round magazine.

Is the longer grip confirmed ? So it can’t use legacy P35 mags ?

call_me_ski
01-17-2022, 08:24 PM
Very interesting. The cynical side of me thinks this might be a half cooked scheme to cash in on the the BHP craze that became apparent when SA introduced their clone but maybe this is something they have been cooking up for a while? It does appear to have inherited some features of the FNX and later FN pistols. I wonder what the holster compatibility will be?

There is no way that they saw the intoxication of the SA and brought this to market that fast. This has been in the works for a bit.

Tokarev
01-17-2022, 08:29 PM
If it locks up on a cutout on the barrel and not grooves on the top of the barrel is it really a P35?:rolleyes:No. Not really.

Still, I love the legacy HP. I guess I'll have to check these out when they become readily available.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Artemas2
01-17-2022, 08:42 PM

I briefly had a P-90 in .45 while dealing with a family member's estate. I actually regret letting that POS go. The decocker worked about 50% of the time, but it was fun to shoot. The slide cycled so slowly that you could HEAR the slide move back and forth and made an awesome "chunk" at the ends of travel. It was very soft to shoot too.

Borderland
01-17-2022, 08:52 PM
Were not most HP's built in Belgium by FN? I confess, I know nothing about BHP's so somebody clue me in here. Are they claiming the original and we will build it again just to cripple any start up clones?

Regardless, I'm not in the market.

4RNR
01-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Very interesting. The cynical side of me thinks this might be a half cooked scheme to cash in on the the BHP craze that became apparent when SA introduced their clone but maybe this is something they have been cooking up for a while? It does appear to have inherited some features of the FNX and later FN pistols. I wonder what the holster compatibility will be?Craze doesn't equal purchases. Seen it more than a few times in the firearm industry. Massive interest until the product actually comes out then suddenly crickets. It's one thing to want something, it's another to fork over the cash. Besides, you can't just throw that together in a month

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JonInWA
01-17-2022, 08:56 PM

I've remained with my late-production P89 by choice; I consider it superior to any of Ruger's subsequent duty-size offerings. And superior to most competitors, both contemporaneous and current. They could do a lot worse then re-introducing the P89/P90 in my opinion. Best, Jon

Daniel Watters
01-17-2022, 08:58 PM
The more I look at a hi-res copy of the picture, it appears to me that the magazine release may be reversible.

Daniel Watters
01-17-2022, 09:03 PM
There is no way that they saw the intoxication of the SA and brought this to market that fast. This has been in the works for a bit.

FN Herstal applied for a new US Trademark on the phrase "FN High Power" back on March 26, 2021.

Serial Number #90,606,555

They also reapplied for a trademark on "Hi-Power" on November 30, 2020.

OlongJohnson
01-17-2022, 09:18 PM

That would explain a few things.

gc70
01-17-2022, 09:30 PM
The pistol looks interesting, but it's not a P35.

MandoWookie
01-17-2022, 09:59 PM
Looks like a slimmed down SAO Sig wearing a Hi-Power skin suit. I wonder if it if intended to be a competitor to the alloy framed striker guns from Sig and Walther?

KevH
01-17-2022, 11:13 PM
I've remained with my late-production P89 by choice; I consider it superior to any of Ruger's subsequent duty-size offerings. And superior to most competitors, both contemporaneous and current. They could do a lot worse then re-introducing the P89/P90 in my opinion. Best, Jon

I'm right there with you. I feel like they were headed in a good direction with the P345 (especially with the thinner egos) and then just gave up.

Hstanton1
01-17-2022, 11:40 PM
If it’s a reliable gun with a more positive safety than the original BHP, I’ll be excited about it. As someone getting more and more interested in SAO guns, more variety on the market is better.

HCM
01-17-2022, 11:47 PM
Looks like a slimmed down SAO Sig wearing a Hi-Power skin suit.

This sums it up nicely.

RevolverRob
01-18-2022, 12:17 AM

I wouldn't mind another P95 decocker. I missed buying one with a rail all those years ago. I even have several holsters and plenty of mags...

This thing says, "Let's take a BHP and beat it with an ugly stick and then sit on fire."

This maybe an FN "Hi-Power", but it ain't no P35.

MattyD380
01-18-2022, 12:53 AM
Looks like a slimmed down SAO Sig wearing a Hi-Power skin suit.

…which sounds pretty awesome if you ask me.

This is honestly the kind of thing I keep hoping I’ll see: re-engineered and modernized versions of a classic guns. (Smith!? C’mon—4th gens!! WTF!?) No, I guess it’s not entirely a P35. But I like the P35 because I like how it feels, handles and shoots—not necessarily just because it’s a P35. So, if you’re gonna modernize the design and still give me a solid all-metal gun that’s reliable, feels like a million bucks and puts holes right where I want them… sure. Beats a clone that’s true to form but not function (ahemTisas… coughSpringfield).

I get the ejection port lockup; it probably just makes more sense than ring lugs. Interesting on the internal extractor. That seems to be where the Tisas and the SA35 were having the most issues… so… maybe there’s something to that?

I guess i’m not thrilled about the idea of the grip being longer to accommodate 17 rounds (is the grip for sure longer though?). But, in this day and age, everyone would flip their shit about a big steel gun not having (much) more capacity than a Hellcat. So… I get it.

As far as the aesthetics? Eh, it’s fine. To be perfectly honest, I thought the P35 was ugly for the longest time. Kinda gangly looking. Muzzle cuts seemed out of place to me. Then I held one; it all made sense. Now I think the P35 is sexy, but… it took a minute. Maybe this’ll grow on me too. Still—I kinda wish they’d taken some styling cues from the HP-DA. To me, that’s what a modern Hi Power should look like.

Anyway… if the thing runs, I’ll be interested. I’d also love to see a compact.

MDFA
01-18-2022, 05:28 AM
I think SA had it about right with their updates. But they should have added a slightly enlarged beavertail and texture/checkering on the front strap.
And obviously sorted out the reliability issues...

I'm not sure that anyone needed an ambi takedown ability on a Hi Power, which is really just a right hand thumb rest for a left handed shooter. The original method worked pretty well since 1935.

Caballoflaco
01-18-2022, 06:10 AM
It looks like the FN version of the Beretta M9A3. By that I mean they probably worked on the design a while back to offer it as a replacement to countries who’s hi-powers are worn out. Since it’s FN I also bet it will retail for over 1,000.

Cory
01-18-2022, 06:39 AM
Now that FN has @estern from Beretta, I wouldn''t be shocked to see them start doing things that shooters like.

Stephanie B
01-18-2022, 07:52 AM
A new HP that won’t take HP magazines? Hard pass. I’ll keep on with my Mk.III (sorta wish I’d bought two) and wait to see if Springer gets the bugs out of their clone.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 07:58 AM
Not really anything we don't already know:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2022-fn-high-power/

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 08:01 AM
Has anyone mentioned yet how this thing comes apart? Apparently no more taking the slide release lever out to get the slide off:

https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/FN_HighPower_FDE_FieldStrip_Left_ConcreteLight-1024x655.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the slide takedown lever is this little nub in front of the slide release:

https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/HP_FDE_closeup_2-1024x591.png

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 08:06 AM
A new HP that won’t take HP magazines? Hard pass. I’ll keep on with my Mk.III (sorta wish I’d bought two) and wait to see if Springer gets the bugs out of their clone.

It doesn't look like there's anything in this pistol that's legacy HP--other than the name.

Do we know yet if there's a transfer bar in the slide to release the sear or have all the internals been revamped as well?

4RNR
01-18-2022, 08:26 AM
I think MattyD has a point. People have been calling for an upgraded HiPower for a long time. Here's an updated HiPower......BOOOOO why isn't it identical to the old one?!?

Is this targeted towards collectors or shooters? Because if you want shooters you're not going to be making a 3lbs gun with 13 rounds! That's a Sig365XL capacity at 3X the weight. That going to be the first thing buyers will look at! If this is a safe queen mags are irrelevant.

Lex Luthier
01-18-2022, 08:33 AM
If this new pistol has the ergonomics of the original P-35 and the kind of refinements that are claimed, they will sell many. I look forward to checking one out.

(ETA: it occurs to me that FN may be offering this to a certain North American military that can't seem to make a decision about replacing their worn out 1940s Hi Powers)

JonInWA
01-18-2022, 08:33 AM
I'm intrigued to see how this performs-both in terms of accuracy and in ergonomics. Quality of materials and manufacturing processes is also paramount, as will be aftermarket support, something thet FN currently doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for. Price, while not exhorbitant by 2022 standards, is still "a bit up there." It'll likely be a bit of a niche, as opposed to a mass issue gun at its price point in my opinion. I think a smarter move would have been to have priced is beneath the $1,000 mark if they desired significant sales/market penetration. What their market target and demographic is remains to be seen/defined.

To me it's not so much a classic High Power/P35 as a High Power Mk IV or P36, and I don't mean that in a bad or disparaging way. I applaud the improvements and direction that FN has had the inspiration to take with it. Now let's see how she dances...

Best, Jon

19852+
01-18-2022, 08:34 AM
I like it, a lot.. Assuming it runs and has a decent trigger, although I'm not that fussy. But it must run and run dirty, be durable, reasonably accurate and at a reasonable price.

Stephanie B
01-18-2022, 08:38 AM
I think MattyD has a point. People have been calling for an upgraded HiPower for a long time. Here's an updated HiPower......BOOOOO why isn't it identical to the old one?!?

Is this targeted towards collectors or shooters? Because if you want shooters you're not going to be making a 3lbs gun with 13 rounds! That's a Sig365XL capacity at 3X the weight. That going to be the first thing buyers will look at! If this is a safe queen mags are irrelevant.

Plenty of 15-round magazines out there. But you have a point. There's not much similarity between a C1 Corvette and a C8. But if they're taking the trouble to change the internals and make this into an essentially different gun and claim that it's an updated, excuse me, "reborn" HP, why not take the next step and make it red-dot ready?

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 08:39 AM

Sent from my moto z4 using TapatalkI don't think anyone is really complaining. Just commenting on how radically different the gun seems to be from the original. Maybe if FN had decided to call this the BHP-A1 people would be less likely to comment? Probably not.

I do agree that the gun's lack of a flashlight rail and/or lack of red dot cut is surprising. This would indicate, to me at least, that the gun is not likely to be marketed as a true HP replacement. By that I mean they aren't likely to be pushing this as a direct competitor to Glock and SIG and the other crop of polymer duty pistols out there. Could the gun compete against these? Maybe in terms of reliability and such but without accessory mounting options it won't likely be a top choice.

Too bad, as I totally think there's still room in the LE market for a gun that's accurate and easy to shoot well. Staccato seems to be proving that.

One other point--FN Herstal previously "modernized" the HP with that FN HP/SA or whatever that gun was called pre-BDM. How'd that work out?

Sorry if any or all of this has already been pointed out. These threads grow faster than my ability to keep up.

EDIT--It will be interesting to see if there's enough material in the slide to retrofit the Dawson red dot system. Or maybe Wilson Combat's system.

awp_101
01-18-2022, 08:39 AM
This thing says, "Let's take a BHP and beat it with an ugly stick and then sit on fire."

This maybe an FN "Hi-Power", but it ain't no P35.
It’s FN’s version of the 90-Two?

45dotACP
01-18-2022, 08:55 AM
The placement and cut of that rear dovetail has me suspicious that there will be a version cut for an RDS coming soon(tm)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

42Willys
01-18-2022, 08:58 AM
If this new pistol has the ergonomics of the original P-35 and the kind of refinements that are claimed, they will sell many. I look forward to checking one out.

(ETA: it occurs to me that FN may be offering this to a certain North American military that can't seem to make a decision about replacing their worn out 1940s Hi Powers)

Can said military afford the freight on these? Unless they give them away FN probably priced themselves out of the market.

I own Glocks (but I’m trying to not be a Glock guy anymore) Canada should just call Gaston and buy 15,000 Glock 17/19/45 and call it a day. Running WW2 era P35s is suboptimal - but they are only sidearms.

4RNR
01-18-2022, 09:13 AM
Plenty of 15-round magazines out there. But you have a point. There's not much similarity between a C1 Corvette and a C8.

Do we know for sure it's a longer grip? My 15 rounders fit flush and these look to have a base pad that sticks out. Maybe they managed to squeeze 2 more in with the base pad?

I don't think anyone is really complaining. Just commenting on how radically different the gun seems to be from the original. Maybe if FN had decided to call this the BHP-A1 people would be less likely to comment? Probably not.

I do agree that the gun's lack of a flashlight rail and/or lack of red dot cut is surprising. This would indicate, to me at least, that the gun is not likely to be marketed as a true HP replacement. By that I mean they aren't likely to be pushing this as a direct competitor to Glock and SIG and the other crop of polymer duty pistols out there. Could the gun compete against these? Maybe in terms of reliability and such but without accessory mounting options it won't likely be a top choice.

Too bad, as I totally think there's still room in the LE market for a gun that's accurate and easy to shoot well. Staccato seems to be proving that.

One other point--FN Herstal previously "modernized" the HP with that FN HP/SA or whatever that gun was called pre-BDM. How'd that work out?

Sorry if any or all of this has already been pointed out. These threads grow faster than my ability to keep up.

EDIT--It will be interesting to see if there's enough material in the slide to retrofit the Dawson red dot system. Or maybe Wilson Combat's system.

Yes it's strange that they didn't add a rail or a RD cut on a duty size gun. Maybe they're trying to stay with holster compatibility? Not like there's a huge demand for those but at least if you bought this you could find a holster relatively easy, if thats even the reason, as I'm just guessing here.

Thinking out loud here a bit....honestly though how many people really really really give a shit if it has an optics cut or rail? For the majority of buyers this will be their umpteenth gun. It's most likely going to be one that lives in the safe because majority carry something that fits in their pocket, which already doesn't have either of those features. Even with "modern" handguns majority of sales are not optics cut. How many G19/17/23/22/34/35 do you think get sold with optics cut vs without? Hell, Glock doesnt even bother with a rail let alone a optics cut on their G43X/48. Ultimately I think most people who don't buy it because of lack of rail weren't going to buy it anyway.

But then again if you're upgrading why only upgrade to 1998 and not 2022? Or is the idea to just upgrade out of 1985 or whenever the mklll came out?

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 09:35 AM
Do we know for sure it's a longer grip? My 15 rounders fit flush and these look to have a base pad that sticks out. Maybe they managed to squeeze 2 more in with the base pad?

Yes it's strange that they didn't add a rail or a RD cut on a duty size gun. Maybe they're trying to stay with holster compatibility? Not like there's a huge demand for those but at least if you bought this you could find a holster relatively easy, if thats even the reason, as I'm just guessing here.

Thinking out loud here a bit....honestly though how many people really really really give a shit if it has an optics cut or rail?

But then again if you're upgrading why only upgrade to 1998 and not 2022? Or is the idea to just upgrade out of 1985 or whenever the mklll came out?

Grip "looks" a little longer but that might be kind of an illusion with the undercut trigger guard and magazine base pad.

I doubt this pistol will fit in too many old HP holsters with the ambi slide release lever.

So who's the target audience? Lack of a rail or red dot is not likely to be a turn off for old guys who love HPs. But will the old curmudgeon crowd embrace any changes? Will the younger crowd who wants something non-Glock embrace this gun without a rail?

And then what about the Canadians? I haven't kept up on their pistol quest. Did they not spec a rail on the military handgun? It would be extremely cool to see Canada adopt this gun if for no other reason than simply it is not a Glock or SIG.

Jim Watson
01-18-2022, 09:37 AM
Spec sheet out: 40 ounces!
And I fondly remember the old listings, Colt Government Model-38 ounces, Browning-two pounds.

Apparently some focus group included a USPSA Production shooter with his three pound CZ and concluded that the market wanted heavier guns.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 09:41 AM
Spec sheet out: 40 ounces! .

Hopefully an aluminum frame alternative is in the works.

Caballoflaco
01-18-2022, 09:45 AM
It looks like there might be grips that allow the back strap to be enlarged. Hopefully optics ready models are in the works too. If it had a light rail it would be a nice non vapor-ware alternative to the DWX.

JonInWA
01-18-2022, 09:52 AM

Other than their being available in reasonable quantities at semi-reasonable prices, I've actually never been really all that impressed with any of the High Power's magazines. The baseplates are relatively thin, with sharp corners, and susceptible to being bent. The followers on the after-market MecGars (as opposed to the ones that MecGar produced as the OEM followers for FN/Browning) have been a bit questionable and unstable to a degree.

The NP3 (or similar) finished ones with the mousetrap springs were probably the best of the batch of the OEMs, but the new ones on this FN offering seem to have superior basepads. Capacity is a far, far lower concern or criteria for me, so as long as they're at least 10 round or higher. Parochially, from a IDPA competition standpoint, I'd like them to be at least 11 rounds; the 17 round capacity of the new ones is great-so as long as they hold up to hard use, continious unloadings and loadings, and being dropped on various surfaces. That applies to the basic gun as well. Ease of field stripping (at least) and re-assembly, and required levels of basic field/operator maintenance is key. As are quality of components; intrinsically and in actual use.

From a practical standpoint, it's of very little concern to me as to whether the New High Power's magazines are interchangable with my classic High Power, as I have a basic magazine issue for each individual gun that I own.

Best, Jon

4RNR
01-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Grip "looks" a little longer but that might be kind of an illusion with the undercut trigger guard and magazine base pad.

I doubt this pistol will fit in too many old HP holsters with the ambi slide release lever.

So who's the target audience? Lack of a rail or red dot is not likely to be a turn off for old guys who love HPs. But will the old curmudgeon crowd embrace any changes? Will the younger crowd who wants something non-Glock embrace this gun without a rail?

And then what about the Canadians? I haven't kept up on their pistol quest. Did they not spec a rail on the military handgun? It would be extremely cool to see Canada adopt this gun if for no other reason than simply it is not a Glock or SIG.

I believe Canadians ended up going with Glocks but I don't really care what the Canadian military decided to use. I don't mean that in a snarky way, just not something I pay attention to or have interest in.

I'm pretty sure the none Glock younger crowd doesn't really care about rails? How many of them do you actually see in use? Maybe.... maybe, someones nightstand gun. Ill bet you anything the vast majority of younger gun owners (and gun owners in general) who carry do so without lights and optics.

Apparently some focus group included a USPSA Production shooter with his three pound CZ and concluded that the market wanted heavier guns.

The Sig p320X carry Legion is 40oz. And that's a polymer lower and advertised as "carry"

awp_101
01-18-2022, 09:59 AM
AFTER TAKING A HALF-DECADE OFF, FN HAS RE-ENTERED THE HI-POWER GAME (https://laststandonzombieisland.com/2022/01/18/after-taking-a-half-decade-off-fn-has-re-entered-the-hi-power-game/)

TheNewbie
01-18-2022, 10:33 AM
40 ounce weight. Was the original hi power that heavy?

vcdgrips
01-18-2022, 10:41 AM
A 15 sec search of Google yielded the following response re weight of previous Hi-Powers

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/hi-power/current/hi-power-mark-iii.html

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Beretta M9 is 41 ounces. So maybe new High Power already has an aluminum frame.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 10:45 AM
40 ounce weight. Was the original hi power that heavy?31 ounces for the original.

Whirlwind06
01-18-2022, 10:53 AM
So is there any USPSA/IDPA division where one can use a SA 9mm double stack pistol?
I'm thinking open but don't if it fits into others.

MattyD380
01-18-2022, 11:02 AM
I feel like I read it was steel on their little product sheet thingy...

I wonder if it's of the "MKIII cast" pedigree or some new kinda forging.

Jim Watson
01-18-2022, 11:17 AM
So is there any USPSA/IDPA division where one can use a SA 9mm double stack pistol?

It is as good an IDPA ESP as anything, 10+1 round limit, though.

It would be a Limited (minor) in USPSA but I doubt anybody would buy one for the purpose. More likely an early adopter looking for something to do with it now he has it.

TheNewbie
01-18-2022, 11:30 AM
31 ounces for the original.

I didn’t think it was this heavy. Wonder why they went heavier. Durability?

Welder
01-18-2022, 11:32 AM

I'm pretty sure an aluminum-framed 92 usually weighs about 34 oz.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure an aluminum-framed 92 usually weighs about 34 oz.Oops. You're right. Beretta website says 33.3 oz unloaded.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 11:49 AM

Sent from my SM-G970U using TapatalkToo late to edit. 33.3 ounces according to Beretta website.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 12:09 PM
Come on, FN! Chamber the gun in 30 Super Carry and give me a 20 round mag! What's taking so long?

JonInWA
01-18-2022, 12:27 PM

ESP for IDPA. The division differentiations has more to do with the caliber, action and components and allowable enhancements than the magazine capacity (which tops out at 10 {or 10+1 for the first magazine} in IDPA anyhow).

Best, Jon

Jim Watson
01-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Come on, FN! Chamber the gun in 30 Super Carry and give me a 20 round mag! What's taking so long?

You have dared say in public what I thought in the depths of my darkest solitude.

Interesting all the new products popping up here in the Omicron Era.
New guns from SW and FN, new ammo from Vista. Product variants from several, including new corporate interest in 10mm.

OlongJohnson
01-18-2022, 12:34 PM
You have dared say in public what I thought in the depths of my darkest solitude.

New guns from SW and FN, new ammo from Vista. Product variants from several, including new corporate interest in 10mm.

Maybe Sig will make a version of the P365 with the P250 DAO hammer action. Then I could forget all that other stuff.

TheNewbie
01-18-2022, 12:41 PM
Maybe Sig will make a version of the P365 with the P250 DAO hammer action. Then I could forget all that other stuff.

Me too.

JonInWA
01-18-2022, 12:58 PM

Isn't that called an HK P30SK LEM/P2000 LEM/P2000 SK LEM?

Best, Jon

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 01:07 PM
Best meme I could come up with on short notice.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220118/4ea4ee60a3d3d730d7f6932e2cdd43d9.jpg

42Willys
01-18-2022, 01:11 PM

I think FN had a prototype High Power in 7.65 French Long before the pattern was finalized in 1935 and produced in 9x19. Reminds me of that…

Suvorov
01-18-2022, 01:15 PM
Upon further thought and perusing the webpage which is now active, this actually looks like there is a lot of promise. Seems that they have made some fairly good updates to the design while keeping much of the essence of the original. More of a modern update on the classic design that the SA offering. For someone with a small collection of legacy pistols, magazines, holsters; who would like the "same gun in a modern form" this holds a lot of appeal. All that said, my decision to pull the trigger on one of these would be based on a few things:
1) Backwards magazine compatibility. Given they advertise 17 round capacity this seems to be a long shot.
2) Fit with most legacy holsters.
In the end I want a "Hi Power with modern pistol features" and not a "modern pistol with Hi Power features," making this an entirely new platform would be a deal killer for me.

That FDE pistol is sexy though.

OlongJohnson
01-18-2022, 01:40 PM

Best, Jon

I have LEMs. Even cleaned up Match Hybrid LEMs. I also have a couple cleaned up P250s, a .22LR and a .380 (action is the same). No, LEM is not equal to P250. Not even close. Also, I don't Spiderman grip.

I have been focusing on a USPc. Tried LEM, went back to V1 at least to see how far I get with it.

I guess I kinda left the XL off the end of P365. What I meant is P365XL.

Tokarev
01-18-2022, 02:01 PM
I have LEMs. Even cleaned up Match Hybrid LEMs. I also have a couple cleaned up P250s, a .22LR and a .380 (action is the same). No, LEM is not equal to P250. Not even close. Also, I don't Spiderman grip.

I have been focusing on a USPc. Tried LEM, went back to V1 at least to see how far I get with it.

I guess I kinda left the XL off the end of P365. What I meant is P365XL.

Best, Jon

Why are you guys bringing up yesterday's guns in a thread about the Browning Hi-Power?

JonInWA
01-18-2022, 02:12 PM
Beacuse we can, and because my snark proceeded down the freshly dug Olong rabbit hole...

Best, Jon

TheNewbie
01-18-2022, 02:25 PM
Why are you guys bringing up yesterday's guns in a thread about the Browning Hi-Power?

It’s PF. If a thread doesn’t stray a bit, then we become just like any other boring place on the net.

Regarding the Hi-Power:

Must’ve FN will release a reliable polymer version. Yea I know, that’s blasphemy, but I think it would be cool.

OlongJohnson
01-18-2022, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFNx7YFwFfI

MandoWookie
01-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Best meme I could come up with on short notice.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220118/4ea4ee60a3d3d730d7f6932e2cdd43d9.jpg

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a SAO Ruger P89 wearing Hi-point flair, less like a Sig. The dimensions just seem off.

Edit to add: what do you wanna bet the magazines are based off the 509 series? They dont look like Hi-power mags.

jellydonut
01-18-2022, 02:48 PM
Wow, a BHP with an extra chromosome.

Not one soul on earth wanted this to happen.

MandoWookie
01-18-2022, 02:52 PM
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/18/fn-hi-power-reborn/

Article with more pics.

JHC
01-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Not sure what I think but I can respect what they were trying to do as described in the above article.

(deleted redundant link to the above)

Suvorov
01-18-2022, 03:13 PM
Edit to add: what do you wanna bet the magazines are based off the 509 series? They dont look like Hi-power mags.

Something tells me you are right. It makes sense from a production standpoint if they are no longer supporting the FN-SA and I suppose may be a draw to owners of their newer pistol platforms. It's a pretty hard no for me though but I have come to the sad realization long ago that the firearms (and automobile) manufacturers of the world do not exist to cater to my every whim and wish.

jh9
01-18-2022, 03:18 PM
I think I see the confusion.

FN isn't back in the Hi Power game. They're in the High Power game. Totally different name and gun.

https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/HP_FDE_closeup_2-1024x591.png

Suvorov
01-18-2022, 03:33 PM

FN isn't back in the Hi Power game. They're in the High Power game. Totally different name and gun.

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head!

Assuming its dimensions make in incompatible with most BHP holsters and gear - it will be interesting to see what gets developed for it.....

45dotACP
01-18-2022, 03:48 PM

Not one soul on earth wanted this to happen.I may not 100% agree with you, but I laughed for at least a minute at this comment.

4RNR
01-18-2022, 04:02 PM

Not one soul on earth wanted this to happen.What, an updated BP? I did, I know others that did. Most probably wanted a rail and optics cut though. Not necessarily going to go out and buy one right away but I like it. The only major issue for me has always been the location/shape/size of the safety. If it digs into my thumb it's a guarantee hard pass

awp_101
01-18-2022, 04:04 PM

RAM Engineer
01-18-2022, 04:09 PM
I just noticed the slide is open at the front where the recoil spring sits.

pangloss
01-18-2022, 04:29 PM

https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/HP_FDE_closeup_2-1024x591.pngI read the article linked up thread, and I think you are right. This new pistol may be fantastic, but I think there are probably as many changes as things that stayed the same.

Count me among those who would like to see this new pistol in .30 SC.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

MattyD380
01-18-2022, 04:30 PM
I may not 100% agree with you, but I laughed for at least a minute at this comment.

Word. Me too.

OlongJohnson
01-18-2022, 04:31 PM
I just noticed the slide is open at the front where the recoil spring sits.

Wow, yeah. That's weird the guide rod doesn't fill that hole like it does on every other pistol I can remember ever seeing except ones with plugs (e.g., 1911). What happens if a holster French fry or other debris gets in there? Can it tie up the gun? Is MAC available to do a mud test?

Joe in PNG
01-18-2022, 04:31 PM
I'm fine with this, if it works.

pangloss
01-18-2022, 04:33 PM
Wow, yeah. That's weird the guide rod doesn't fill that hole like it does on every other pistol I can remember ever seeing except ones with plugs (e.g., 1911). What happens if a holster French fry or other debris gets in there? Can it tie up the gun? Is MAC available to do a mud test?https://fnamerica.com/press-releases/fn-further-expands-fn-509-line-with-full-fde-model/

Suvorov
01-18-2022, 04:36 PM
Wow, yeah. That's weird the guide rod doesn't fill that hole like it does on every other pistol I can remember ever seeing except ones with plugs (e.g., 1911). What happens if a holster French fry or other debris gets in there? Can it tie up the gun? Is MAC available to do a mud test?

Dude, I may or may not have found crunched up tortilla chips in the holster and maybe even around the hammer of my USPc duty gun when I took it out for its pre-qualification cleaning. The struggle is real!

OlongJohnson
01-18-2022, 04:39 PM
https://fnamerica.com/press-releases/fn-further-expands-fn-509-line-with-full-fde-model/

Huh. Shows how much attention I've paid to any of FN's plastic people poppers before now. Nearly zero.

pangloss
01-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Huh. Shows how much attention I've paid to any of FN's plastic people poppers before now. Nearly zero.I don't think you missed much regarding FN, but that specific design feature is shared with the Glock 34/35. I don't have a G34, but I think the recoil interface with the slide is the same as the G17. For the G34, I don't think it creates any sort of ingress point relative to the G17. I have no idea about this new FN.

TCinVA
01-18-2022, 06:07 PM
The more I look at this, the more it looks like a SAO Ruger P89 wearing Hi-point flair, less like a Sig. The dimensions just seem off.

They don't appear to have the nubbin on the front of the magazine that the 509 has, which is that magazine's weak point.

And thank heavens for that.

Lon
01-18-2022, 07:13 PM
The first 9mm I ever shot was a 1950’s era HP w internal extractor. I will always love them. But any new full size pistol that doesn’t come optic ready from the factory is dead to me. No excuse for it.

Joe in PNG
01-18-2022, 07:37 PM
The first 9mm I ever shot was a 1950’s era HP w internal extractor. I will always love them. But any new full size pistol that doesn’t come optic ready from the factory is dead to me. No excuse for it.

It's how modern firearms marketing works. First, sell the one without the cut, then sell the one with a cut. Technically, one can sell twice as many guns that way.

Rick R
01-18-2022, 08:06 PM
I have a early - mid 80’s BHP. The gun just feels good in the hand. I’d say this is aimed at Canadian or other government groups that want to upgrade, slightly. Hence the ambi slide stop and take down lever and G17 quantity of Euro pellets. More ammo, lefty friendly and less small parts to account for.

FN has doddered around with every other design since 1936 and someone important may have finally said “E’f it! We make Hi Powers!” (En Français of course).

I don’t care about RDS mounting, tried it, this dog is too old. The lack of a rail is a bigger omission in my opinion.
I will have to say that if it feels like a Hi Power I may be interested but if I can buy two G19s for the same price probably not.

okie john
01-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Mmm, stainless.

I'd probably buy a Springfield P35 (and hard-chrome the frame for a little mid-70s ISPC flashback action) before I'd buy this, but it's nice to have options.

Okie John

Daniel Watters
01-18-2022, 08:18 PM
FWIW: FN Herstal's entrant for the Canadian Forces solicitation was probably this "chonky boi" seen in several recent patent applications. It fits the chassis frame requirement.

MandoWookie
01-18-2022, 08:40 PM
They don't appear to have the nubbin on the front of the magazine that the 509 has, which is that magazine's weak point.

And thank heavens for that.

Are they similar to the way the Beretta APX mags work for the ambi release? I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to FNs handgun offerings.

MattyD380
01-18-2022, 08:49 PM
Interesting.

I’m not experienced with schematics… but… are those some kinda circular lugs above the chamber? Shouldn’t those be ahead of the chamber? Either way, doesn’t look like it has an ejection port lockup. And the camming lug is closed, unlike a 509 or a Hi(gh) Power.

So this is… something different entirely… cool.

octagon
01-18-2022, 09:27 PM
I checked out the FN HP today at SHOT. The trigger is really nice. Crisp break around 4.5-5lbs or so and no creep or excess take up or over travel. The controls are good for ambi and the safety has a nice feel to it while being positive going on safe and similar if a touch heavier going off safe. The grip treatment on front and backstrap areas is nicely aggressive without being too aggressive. I like the SA version better for all things except the smooth front and backstrap. The FN HP SIde panels are not nearly as nice as the SA versions.

Sammy1
01-18-2022, 09:40 PM
Why is the FN "new" HiPower so much heavier than the SA-35?

Daniel Watters
01-18-2022, 10:22 PM
Interesting.

I’m not experienced with schematics… but… are those some kinda circular lugs above the chamber? Shouldn’t those be ahead of the chamber? Either way, doesn’t look like it has an ejection port lockup. And the camming lug is closed, unlike a 509 or a Hi(gh) Power.

So this is… something different entirely… cool.

It is a double lug variant of Wilhelm Bubits' single upper lug design. The latter can be seen on the BB Tech BB6, the Taurus TS-series, and the Kimber Mako R7. And yes, Taurus and Kimber have both paid Bubits for aspects of his BB6 design.

MattyD380
01-18-2022, 10:43 PM
It is a double lug variant of Wilhelm Bubits' single upper lug design. The latter can be seen on the BB Tech BB6, the Taurus TS-series, and the Kimber Mako R7. And yes, Taurus and Kimber have both paid Bubits for aspects of his BB6 design.

Cool. I wasn’t aware of that design approach for a lockup. But you can definitely see it on the Mako.

Bubits designed the Steyr guns and the Caracals, right? But seems like they’ve got more standard lockups.

Also…

Does anyone have more info on this new FN design? I’m kind of intrigued. And I’m thinking it looks a bit small for a service pistol? Maybe more of a carry gun?

pangloss
01-18-2022, 11:29 PM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2022-fn-high-power/

"Two 17-round magazines are included with each pistol. The suggested retail price on the new FN High Power starts at $1,269 for the all-black and FDE-finished models, while the stainless-steel model retails for $1,369."

Maybe I'm just cheap, but this price strikes me as completely ridiculous. Over $1,000 and they don't even include a third magazine!

Joe in PNG
01-19-2022, 12:04 AM
I think it looks cool... but I've also begun to reconcile myself to the idea that my Hipower ownership will probably begin and end with my vintage, refinished early 60s example.

Suvorov
01-19-2022, 12:30 AM
The suggested retail price on the new FN High Power starts at $1,269 for the all-black and FDE-finished models, while the stainless-steel model retails for $1,369."

:eek:

Yeah - that’s going to be hard to justify to most people for a range toy - especially when you can go and buy a real nice SA HP clone for half that much.

Tokarev
01-19-2022, 06:09 AM
I think it looks cool... but I've also begun to reconcile myself to the idea that my Hipower ownership will probably begin and end with my vintage, refinished early 60s example.Who did rhe refinish?

I have a kind of ugly 60s era HP that could use some love. I've often thought about having a "restomod" done. Add a K-frame rear sight, cut the ring hammer into a spur, add a gold bead front. Stuff that could have been done sometime in the 1970's or 1980s.

Plan B is just to find some fairly authentic grips and just have the gun re-blued and leave it stock.

I'd probably shoot and enjoy it just as much in either case.

Tokarev
01-19-2022, 06:12 AM
I checked out the FN HP today at SHOT. The trigger is really nice. Crisp break around 4.5-5lbs or so and no creep or excess take up or over travel. The controls are good for ambi and the safety has a nice feel to it while being positive going on safe and similar if a touch heavier going off safe. The grip treatment on front and backstrap areas is nicely aggressive without being too aggressive. I like the SA version better for all things except the smooth front and backstrap. The FN HP SIde panels are not nearly as nice as the SA versions.How's the overall size of the gun? From the one FN video with the guy shooting on the indoor range I think it looks kind of big and blocky. Is that your take or is the gun true to the original in general size?

TCinVA
01-19-2022, 07:07 AM
Are they similar to the way the Beretta APX mags work for the ambi release? I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to FNs handgun offerings.

Similar in that they both use a nubbin on the front of the magazine to lock into the magazine release.

Dissimilar in that the APX's locking lug is much, much larger and more robust and less prone to wearing down to the point where the magazine will no longer stay in the gun.

4RNR
01-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Who did rhe refinish?

I have a kind of ugly 60s era HP that could use some love. I've often thought about having a "restomod" done. Add a K-frame rear sight, cut the ring hammer into a spur, add a gold bead front. Stuff that could have been done sometime in the 1970's or 1980s.

Plan B is just to find some fairly authentic grips and just have the gun re-blued and leave it stock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TapatalkI have a beat up looking one. I leave all my guns stock. To me it's just a waste of money. Besides imperfections build character! [emoji16]

Tokarev
01-19-2022, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uahpr2G8uio

OlongJohnson
01-19-2022, 09:56 AM
"...when you hold the gun, it's going to feel a lot different."

Who else is interested in the Hi Power almost entirely because of how the gun feels in your hands?

Has anybody seen a mention of what the black finish is? All I've seen is "black."

MattyD380
01-19-2022, 10:28 AM
"...when you hold the gun, it's going to feel a lot different."

Who else is interested in the Hi Power almost entirely because of how the gun feels in your hands?

I noticed that, too. My take was that he's mainly referring to softening sharp edges and eliminating hammer bite... as opposed to a wholly new feel. But, who knows.

And I've heard/read "PVD" about the finish... I think.

octagon
01-19-2022, 11:12 AM
How's the overall size of the gun? From the one FN video with the guy shooting on the indoor range I think it looks kind of big and blocky. Is that your take or is the gun true to the original in general size?

It did seem big. I chalked it up to grip panels and checkering like treatment on the front and backstraps but maybe it is bigger. I'll see if I can swing by and check it out again today or tomorrow. Trying to keep from retracing steps to get through everything in 3 days.

Chuck Whitlock
01-19-2022, 11:30 AM
I'm not panting hard, but I'm certainly intrigued.

Front and back strap checkering? Elimination of hammer bite? Availability in corrosion resistant stainless steel? Magazines without sharp base plates, and that are tapered for easier insertion?
These check off all my 'druthers boxes on my current late model MKIII. I really hope that they didn't fatten up the grip and increase the circumference and trigger reach too much to accommodate the new magazine.

As far as the 40 oz. weight....how many folks are adding tungsten weights to their polymer framed blasters? I believe that Wilson's 320 and 365 grip modules are specifically designed to accommodate this.

I didn't see it mentioned upthread, but has anyone else noticed just how tapered and blended the back of the safety levers are? Way, way nicer than my MKIII. Maybe I'm reaching for the stars, but that indicates to me that there's been more than a little input from actual shooters, and attention to small details that should manifest in other areas, too.

Yeah, the right side slide release and takedown levers will probably necessitate new holsters specifically molded to this model. But you know what?....if this thing isn't a complete flop, I now have ZERO interest in a Springfield SA35 or Girsan HP clone.

RAM Engineer
01-19-2022, 01:38 PM
Another observation: the back of the slide extends rearward more than the original HP. It’s approximately even with the area of the grip where the web of your hand goes on the original. On the new one it extends back at half inch or so.

okie john
01-19-2022, 01:52 PM
Is it just me, or is this thing starting to look like a Bren 10 that shrank a bit?

Okie John

Tokarev
01-19-2022, 02:05 PM
Gun Jesus talks briefly about the new FN:

https://youtu.be/i9KwyrkG684

MattyD380
01-19-2022, 02:22 PM
Is it just me, or is this thing starting to look like a Bren 10 that shrank a bit?

Okie John

I see some P226 in it, for sure.

The extended back-end, the barrel/muzzle, the grip length/shape... giving me some Sig vibes. I also think the slide may be a little thicker, overall: the "step down" to the muzzle-cut area seems a bit steeper (than an OG P35)... which suggests the slide may be wider behind the cuts. Though it's hard to tell for sure, just from pics.

I guess that would make some sense for an ejection-port lockup? Seems like most guns with that setup have thicker slides. Except the BDM--which doesn't give a F what anyone thinks about traditional gun design.

Joe in PNG
01-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Who did rhe refinish?

I'm not sure who did it. It's an NP3 coating, so whoever does those.

octagon
01-19-2022, 06:59 PM
Follow up to earlier posts comparing FN, SA and EAA/Girson High power versions.

I went back to the show today and went from EAA to FN booths comparing their HP versions. I couldn't find the distributor that had the SA 35 so I couldn't compare it directly today so I'm going from memory.

So the FN is larger and heavier feeling and I don't think it is just grip panels making it so. The controls also feel more awkward especially putting the safety on. The FN also has an odd slide design as noted that sticks out further rearward and ruins the lines IMHO. The rep said they changed the sights and they look almost supp height. The hammer is sharp but also looks changed to avoid hammer bite as the spur is really high. No magazine safety. Odd that the takedown lever is on the right side and a lever not the push through slide stop due to being ambi.

I went to EAA and went over their version finding it mostly better as it is a direct copy of the original. It feels better in the hand and smaller which I prefer. All the traditional HP pros and cons and the trigger was stiffer,rougher than the FN and SA. EAA will be offering and had on hand pro models with mag well opened up or a magwell funnel, extended beaver tail, better safety and flat faced trigger. These were hugely improved for trigger quality. The FN also was slicker when running the slide than the EAA with the SA in between. I'll post some picks of the different version coming up.

For me the SA is the best value and plenty close enough or best for fit, finish and function while keeping the better parts of the original HP while improving other parts. The EAA is most original warts and all but also cheaper feeling less refined. It would probably be a good start point if the end user wanted to have it modified. The FN does nothing for me except the expectation of quality and some modern changes I don't need or want in a classic likely range toy. The size/feel difference along with price make it an easy pass. Nice to have choices and some variations more than direct copies.

Tokarev
01-19-2022, 07:41 PM
TFB TV more info

https://youtu.be/PloBxyk00vc

Corse
01-19-2022, 08:06 PM
What is wrong with me wanting 1-2 more mags and not an extra set of grips?

Lester Polfus
01-19-2022, 08:21 PM
At first I was kinda excited about the new FN, but the more I find out... not so much.

The Hi Power was the OG Glock 19. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot. If I'm going to pack a service pistol sized gun, there are other ones I would pick.

If SA gets their act together, I'll likely own a SA35. Right now they are going for stupid money, but after the market stabilizes, the MSRP really isn't that bad.

MattyD380
01-19-2022, 10:29 PM
As much as I love the OG-HP, I like that this thing is a new pistol and not really based on the P35. There's been so little innovation for new types of metal guns in the past few years... so, in that respect I think it's cool they basically built a brand new metal service pistol. I don't love that it's bigger... but maybe that just leaves more room for a compact variant.

I think one mistake was maybe naming it/branding it "High Power"--which communicates that it's something it really isn't. And of course invites direct comparisons to the original. I would have given it a name that's suggestive of the lineage, but different enough to set it apart... like the P36. Or HP21.

Joe in PNG
01-19-2022, 10:43 PM
Oddly enough, all the new stuff has convinced me that what I really really need to do is just get a damn Glock 19, and stick to that.

Joe Mac
01-19-2022, 10:45 PM
Oddly enough, all the new stuff has convinced me that what I really really need to do is just get a damn Glock 19, and stick to that.

Since the advent of the pointed stick, the G19 is the best all-around personal weapon ever designed.

JPedersen
01-19-2022, 11:06 PM
I think the $1200+ msrp is going to help
SA with the SA-35 assuming the kinks get ironed out. They are a halfway point between the Girsan guns and the FN re-boots. I agree with the comments thus far … the dimensions and stats are a bit of a head scratcher (longer grip, heavy weight).

I am still hopeful for the SA-35 - at $1k or less I might try the FN … but not at the current prices. Back on the hunt for the SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandoWookie
01-19-2022, 11:44 PM
I think the $1200+ msrp is going to help
SA with the SA-35 assuming the kinks get ironed out. They are a halfway point between the Girsan guns and the FN re-boots. I agree with the comments thus far … the dimensions and stats are a bit of a head scratcher (longer grip, heavy weight).

I am still hopeful for the SA-35 - at $1k or less I might try the FN … but not at the current prices. Back on the hunt for the SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the perfect duty gun to compete with the S&W 3rd gens for agency adoption....30 years ago.

HCM
01-19-2022, 11:56 PM
Its the perfect duty gun to compete with the S&W 3rd gens for agency adoption....30 years ago.

With the widespread acceptance of striker fired guns with short light trigger pulls, maybe a single action trigger with a usable form a safety is not the disadvantage it was 30 years ago. SIG has found a market for SAO versions of their legacy guns as well as a metal framed version of their striker fired gun.

Lester Polfus
01-20-2022, 01:25 AM

I had this epiphany as I was splitting kindling earlier, and figure out how/when to budget for an SA35.

I have a theory that anytime you adopt a handgun that you intend to put to serious use, the price of entry always ends up about $2000 by the time you buy the gun, holsters, magazines, sights to suit your eyes, vetting ammo, and carry ammo. The cost can go up or down slightly, typically up, especially if you are adapting a new caliber.

Since the P35 is the OG Glock 19, and I already have some Glock 19s, well...

Never mind. I'll just stick with the Glock 19.

MistWolf
01-20-2022, 02:10 AM
I had this epiphany as I was splitting kindling earlier, and figure out how/when to budget for an SA35.

I have a theory that anytime you adopt a handgun that you intend to put to serious use, the price of entry always ends up about $2000 by the time you buy the gun, holsters, magazines, sights to suit your eyes, vetting ammo, and carry ammo. The cost can go up or down slightly, typically up, especially if you are adapting a new caliber.

Since the P35 is the OG Glock 19, and I already have some Glock 19s, well...

Never mind. I'll just stick with the Glock 19.

I thought you wanted to be a Walt Longmire in a World of Tactical Timmies

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 05:31 AM
As interesting as I think this gun is I do kind of scratch my head about it.

I guess what I'm wondering is why would FN go through the hassle and expense of creating a niche pistol with a high price when they could have just re-launched the legacy HP? Obviously the legacy guns weren't selling in the modern market in numbers that justified keeping them around. So how is this gun any different? It has some ambi features and holds a couple more rounds but are these changes enough to reinvigorate?

The obvious answer would seem to have been bring back the old BHP in MKIII+ format. Put some Novak sights and an extended frame tang on it and dehorn the rear edges of the ambi thumb safeties. Make it similar in features to the current stuff we see from every 1911 maker. Would such a gun sell with an MSRP of $1250? Probably initially. This whole thing seems like a big gamble on FN's part. More so than just bringing back some version of the legacy pistol.

The idea upthread that the new HP was developed for something like the Canadian pistol trials seems logical. This design could be something that FN developed fifteen or twenty years ago when the BHP was still a thing but got mothballed for some reason. And now with a bit of a retro trend in the firearms industry they figured it was time to push it out into the market.

willie
01-20-2022, 06:52 AM
Like others, I want to see the new BHP succeed, but I can't cease recalling the dud handguns that FN has produced in the last 15 years. I hope that the "design committee" that came up with the other pistols did not monkey with the Hi-Power.

Lester Polfus
01-20-2022, 09:54 AM
I thought you wanted to be a Walt Longmire in a World of Tactical Timmies

I was pricing stag grips for the SA35...

Personally, I think Johnson should have equipped Walt with a Model 28.

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 10:08 AM

Personally, I think Johnson should have equipped Walt with a Model 28.I don't think Craig Johnson is firearms savvy enough to have done something like that.

MistWolf
01-20-2022, 11:02 AM

Personally, I think Johnson should have equipped Walt with a Model 28.

The 1911 Walt carried in Viet Nam as a Marine MP is the right choice.

Lester Polfus
01-20-2022, 11:18 AM
I don't think Craig Johnson is firearms savvy enough to have done something like that.

I think you are correct. He does have a fondness for Browning over/under shotguns, and some facility with blasting clay birds with them, however.

The 1911 Walt carried in Viet Nam as a Marine MP is the right choice.

The richer narrative would have been this:

Walt has a somewhat conflicted relationship with his Vietnam service (already established in the books.) Thus he tucks away the 1911 in his foot locker. While sheriffin' he carries a Model 28, because in the 1970s, it was still wheel gun territory, and being a young man with a family he couldn't afford the fancier Model 27.

Then when it becomes clear that the violence of the war has followed Walt to Absaroka county, the 1911 comes out of the footlocker, and bodies start hitting the ground.

At least that's what I cooked up over whiskey in a bar in Montana with a guy I know.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-20-2022, 11:40 AM
This dude’s rant on the new FN “Hipower” is epic:

You will never be a real FN Hi-power Mark III. You have no parts compatibility, you have no magazine compatibility, you have a full-length guiderod. You are an FN DAC twisted by minor aesthetic tweaks and the removal of double-action into a crude mockery of John Moses Browning and Dieudonne Saive’s perfection.

All the “reviews” you get are only for clickfarming. Behind your back people mock you. Your parent company is disgusted and ashamed of you, your “userbase” laugh at your ghoulish appearance behind closed doors.

Shooters are utterly repulsed by you. The over 80 year service record of the Hi-power has allowed men to sniff out cheap clones with incredible efficiency. Even clones which “pass” look uncanny and unnatural to a man. Your side profile is a dead giveaway. And even if you manage to get a drunk guy to buy you, he’ll go straight back to the local gun store and put you up for consignment the second he gets a whiff of your extraction issues.

You will never be competitive. Your shills wrench out a fake video with plenty of slow-mo every single week and say you're "just as good", but deep inside you feel the higher bore axis and inferior ergonomics creeping up like a weed, ready to crush you under the unbearable weight.

Eventually it’ll be too much to bear - you’ll be carelessly left in the glovebox of a 1998 Ford Escort, and be crushed along with the car when it's inevitably abandoned at the tow yard. Your manufacturer will discontinue you, disappointed at the lack of sales but relieved that they no longer have to have such an unfaithful "clone" in their lineup. They’ll put you in the discontinued section of the website mentioning the DAC you were a ripoff of, and every enthusiast for the rest of eternity will know a DAC is buried there. Your frame will rust and go back to the dust, and all that will remain of your legacy is a dust cover that is unmistakably generic.

This is your fate. This is what you chose. There is no turning back.

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 12:02 PM
I think you are correct. He does have a fondness for Browning over/under shotguns, and some facility with blasting clay birds with them, however.

Walt has a somewhat conflicted relationship with his Vietnam service (already established in the books.) Thus he tucks away the 1911 in his foot locker. While sheriffin' he carries a Model 28, because in the 1970s, it was still wheel gun territory, and being a young man with a family he couldn't afford the fancier Model 27.

Then when it becomes clear that the violence of the war has followed Walt to Absaroka county, the 1911 comes out of the footlocker, and bodies start hitting the ground.

At least that's what I cooked up over whiskey in a bar in Montana with a guy I know.I've read some of the Longmire books and have enjoyed them for the most part. And while I don't recall any specific instances off the top of my head I'm fairly sure there have been cases where Walt "pulls back the receiver to charge the first bullet from the clip." Or words to that effect that are supposed to create a dynamic moment but also serve to show the author's lack of firearms knowledge.

Not unique to Longmire in any way and I'm not reading the books for firearms knowledge. But still, more correct info/terminology is out there with minimal amounts of research.

With all that said, Mr. Johnson may have a good grasp and is writing that way with the understanding that many readers would be completely confused by magazines, cartridges and terms like Condition One.

MistWolf
01-20-2022, 12:46 PM

At least that's what I cooked up over whiskey in a bar in Montana with a guy I know.

That’s good outline for a character. But it’s out of character for Walt Longmire. Too many changes too soon.

nalesq
01-20-2022, 01:30 PM
This guy (smglee) says that this new Hi Power uses Beretta magazines and that the beavertail portion is modular:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9VRkVpMV8/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stephanie B
01-20-2022, 01:56 PM

Brutal. Here's the source (https://boards.4channel.org/k/thread/51693540/you-will-never-be-a-real-fn-hipower-mark-iii-you).

MattyD380
01-20-2022, 02:39 PM

This is brilliant.

But this new gun isn't an FN DAC (which is the compact variant of the HP-DA) or the HP-DA (which he probably meant, when he said DAC). Those guns are more true Hi Powers than this new thing is--just with DA-SA lockwork and different mags. Honestly, an HP-DA is a gun I would have loved to see being made again:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Bda9.JPG/1920px-Bda9.JPG

To my 1990s-aesthetic-tuned eyes... it's the best looking of all Hi Powers. And it's DA/SA.

Horseman
01-20-2022, 02:54 PM
I've read some of the Longmire books and have enjoyed them for the most part. And while I don't recall any specific instances off the top of my head I'm fairly sure there have been cases where Walt "pulls back the receiver to charge the first bullet from the clip." Or words to that effect that are supposed to create a dynamic moment but also serve to show the author's lack of firearms knowledge.

Not unique to Longmire in any way and I'm not reading the books for firearms knowledge. But still, more correct info/terminology is out there with minimal amounts of research.

With all that said, Mr. Johnson may have a good grasp and is writing that way with the understanding that many readers would be completely confused by magazines, cartridges and terms like Condition One.

I've bought every Longmire novel, so far, and I really love Johnson's characters and the settings, many of which are local to me.

However, when it comes to guns and action stuff in his novels, I get the feeling he's writing for an audience of little old ladies and wine-and-cheese art fanciers.

Back to the OT: This thing from FN...ugh. It smells of desperation and of "Where did we put the TDP and drawings for the Hi-Power? Mon dieu! we lost them. Put lipstick on one of our current pigs and send it out!"

FPS
01-20-2022, 02:56 PM
I was excited about this until I saw the price.

Is it just me or does FN continually seem vastly out of touch with the civilian market? Everything they come out with seems either kind of cool and overpriced or "meh."

TCinVA
01-20-2022, 02:57 PM
I think people are looking at this wrong.

Everybody's mad because it isn't the original, but the original had tons of issues which is why nobody bought them in the first place. They are beautiful guns and if you have a really talented smith work one over and build up a beavertail you can even shoot it without bleeding! (Not sarcasm in my case)

What this looks like to me is a (potentially) reliable double-stack single action 9mm pistol. If it actually runs, it will do what the Staccato tries to do, but at less than 1/2 the price and with magazines that are a hell of a lot cheaper. I mean, this right here isn't a 1911:

https://youtu.be/RFAJS5k4ac0

...but it has the stuff people actually want from 1911's on it without giving up bullets in the magazine. It does the essential 1911 things, but more. And it's also stupidly expensive...not that it stops me from wanting to give one a go.

Everything runs in cycles, and we're at the beginning of a cycle where people figure out the virtues of Browning's hammer-fired, single action trigger with an ergonomic safety thing again now that the planet is awash in striker-fired plastic. There's a lot of room on the top of this gun for an optic...and it's likely FN will borrow some knowledge about optic mounting from their other endeavors to apply here.

I know people are making noise about a rail and if they make a duty style version I'm sure it will have one. WML's on concealed carry handguns aren't completely useless but they're pretty damn close in that context. I bet you they can even make a more compact version with a couple fewer rounds in the magazine and a shorter barrel, but with the same trigger arrangement.

The Walther PP and PPK are guns with absolutely beautiful lines...but they're fucking terrible to actually shoot. Le Grande Puissance is like an Italian supermodel. Absolutely gorgeous to look at in a magazine, but expensive and bitchy to live with. This has the potential to be more the girl who might never grace the cover of Vogue, but she still looks great in a slinky black dress at a cocktail party and she'll do That Thing You Like without complaining afterwards.

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 03:36 PM
Yeager gives his take:

The gun doesn't look maybe quite as bulky here. Maybe Government Model-ish in size.

Sure would like to see a side-by-side with the old vs new but that's not likely something we'll get during SHOT.

https://youtu.be/z67SvUF-bWk

Lester Polfus
01-20-2022, 03:37 PM
That’s good outline for a character. But it’s out of character for Walt Longmire. Too many changes too soon.

The guy I was drinking with thought it was a good idea, but it's too late to go change A Cold Dish now.

JonInWA
01-20-2022, 03:47 PM
This is brilliant.

But this new gun isn't an FN DAC (which is the compact variant of the HP-DA) or the HP-DA (which he probably meant, when he said DAC). Those guns are more true Hi Powers than this new thing is--just with DA-SA lockwork and different mags. Honestly, an HP-DA is a gun I would have loved to see being made again:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Bda9.JPG/1920px-Bda9.JPG

To my 1990s-aesthetic-tuned eyes... it's the best looking of all Hi Powers. And it's DA/SA.

It has the FN SFS action.

Best, Jon

Stephanie B
01-20-2022, 03:50 PM
Yeager gives his take:

The gun doesn't look maybe quite as bulky here. Maybe Government Model-ish in size.

Sure would like to see a side-by-side with the old vs new but that's not likely something we'll get during SHOT.

https://youtu.be/z67SvUF-bWk

"Internet RSO"???

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 03:52 PM
I've bought every Longmire novel, so far, and I really love Johnson's characters and the settings, many of which are local to me.

However, when it comes to guns and action stuff in his novels, I get the feeling he's writing for an audience of little old ladies and wine-and-cheese art fanciers.

Back to the OT: This thing from FN...ugh. It smells of desperation and of "Where did we put the TDP and drawings for the Hi-Power? Mon dieu! we lost them. Put lipstick on one of our current pigs and send it out!"I enjoy some of the settings as well having attended Sheridan College back in the day. Same reason I like some of the CJ Box stuff.

So to get us back on topic; tell your drinking buddy that Vic needs to ditch her Glock and start packing an HP. Or have the department look at buying a standard handgun and have it mentioned that the HP is being considered.

Stephanie B
01-20-2022, 04:09 PM

<y gag reflex kicked in every time I read "large-frame Colt" in his last book.

MattyD380
01-20-2022, 04:09 PM

Best, Jon

The HP-DA and HP-DAC have good old-fashioned DA/SA actions--at least by default. Though the hammer looks a lot like the one used in the SFS system.

Joe Mac
01-20-2022, 04:39 PM
"Internet RSO"???

Sounds like the Internet RSO got a few "pops" under his belt before the show...

Not that I'm judging. Vegas, and all.

Tokarev
01-20-2022, 05:01 PM
Sounds like the Internet RSO got a few "pops" under his belt before the show...

Not that I'm judging. Vegas, and all.He did some video about possibly having ALS recently.

I have a vhs from him 20 years old when he was a deputy somewhere in the south.
He was the 1st guy I ever saw to use the magazine as a mono-pod on the AR.... Zero malfunctions. Who knew?

Suvorov
01-20-2022, 05:15 PM
This is brilliant.

I agree - it’s a beautiful form! I lusted after one for decades before finally finding one.

Interestingly enough, the HP-DA (BDA9) magazines are actually backwards compatible with the HP-SA (BHP) and forward compatible with the BDM. Here is a picture below of the three side by side.

The lock work of the HP-DA is completely different (as you would expect) from the HP-SA, much much more than simply a DA conversion. However the barrels and breach lockup are “almost” identical. The BDM the inherented a similar lock work from the HP-DA but a Sig P series style barrel, breach, and takedown.

As an owner of both HP-DA and BDM I feel that the two were not really given sufficient time and effort to mature and could have been both amazing pistols but instead fell to the curiosity heap of history. They both have a lot to like. I suspect the new High Power will end up there as well. I just can’t help but have the impression that FN has been the world’s most famous producers and designers of “half asses” pistols since WW2.

Best, Jon

As MattyD380 posted, it does not.

Joe Mac
01-20-2022, 05:22 PM
He did some video about possibly having ALS recently.

Oh, damn!

cyberiad
01-20-2022, 05:40 PM

Over the top. It's just a gun for fuck's sake.

Lex Luthier
01-20-2022, 05:45 PM
He did some video about possibly having ALS recently.

I have a vhs from him 20 years old when he was a deputy somewhere in the south.
He was the 1st guy I ever saw to use the magazine as a mono-pod on the AR.... Zero malfunctions. Who knew?

If Mr Yeager is staring down a diagnosis of ALS, I will cut him slack I would never have done otherwise. That disease is a gold-plated moFo.

Viewing the pistol in 3D does point out how it is a little less svelte than the original versions, and I can see why some here are saying that there is a resemblance to SiG designs.

DDTSGM
01-20-2022, 06:38 PM
While sheriffin' he carries a Model 28, because in the 1970s, it was still wheel gun territory, and being a young man with a family he couldn't afford the fancier Model 27.

Exactly why I bought a 6" Model 28 in 1977. Still have it.

MattyD380
01-20-2022, 07:50 PM
I agree - it’s a beautiful form! I lusted after one for decades before finally finding one.

Interestingly enough, the HP-DA (BDA9) magazines are actually backwards compatible with the HP-SA (BHP) and forward compatible with the BDM. Here is a picture below of the three side by side.

The lock work of the HP-DA is completely different (as you would expect) from the HP-SA, much much more than simply a DA conversion. However the barrels and breach lockup are “almost” identical. The BDM the inherented a similar lock work from the HP-DA but a Sig P series style barrel, breach, and takedown.

As an owner of both HP-DA and BDM I feel that the two were not really given sufficient time and effort to mature and could have been both amazing pistols but instead fell to the curiosity heap of history. They both have a lot to like. I suspect the new High Power will end up there as well. I just can’t help but have the impression that FN has been the world’s most famous producers and designers of “half asses” pistols since WW2.

As MattyD380 posted, it does not.

Nice!

Great analysis. HP-DAs pop up on Gunbroker for time to time... but they usually end up going for more than I want to pay. I've got a BDM to complement my MKIII--would love to have an HP-DA to complete the trifecta of FN service pistols, at some point.

The BDM feels great in hand. It's thin, pointable and the tigger reach is superb. Strangely though, I didn't shoot it all the well--though I've only shot it once and the paint is kinda flaking off the front sight. The construction is unique--you can definitely see that Sig-style breech block. Which I think might be welded into the back of the slide? The mainspring is strange too... gives a decidedly “different” feel to the trigger. It's a neat gun. Need to get it to the range again.

ralph
01-21-2022, 12:31 PM
I’m liking the looks of the stainless version, I’m interested..And tax time is coming around…

Corse
01-21-2022, 01:16 PM
I know the girsan was mentioned as a traditional HP, but it looks like an updated one will be available with an optic cut version in the near future.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/19/shot-2022-eaa-girsan-mc-p35-year-hi-power/

rjohnson4405
01-21-2022, 01:39 PM
Sad that the Girsan looks the most interesting to me with the best set of features...

RAM Engineer
01-21-2022, 05:37 PM
What Customers Requested:
1. Better Safety
2. Better Sights (Optic cut optional)
3. Prevention of Hammer Bite
4. Better Trigger
5. No Mag Safety
6. Improved Magazines and Magwell bevel
7. Classic Cold-War look

What FN Heard:
1. Ambi Slide-release
2. 509 Sights, no optic cut
3. Rearward extended slide
4. Completely new trigger system
5. Longer grip
6. 17 round magazines
7. 90's Look

MattyD380
01-21-2022, 11:54 PM
What Customers Requested:
1. Better Safety
2. Better Sights (Optic cut optional)
3. Prevention of Hammer Bite
4. Better Trigger
5. No Mag Safety
6. Improved Magazines and Magwell bevel
7. Classic Cold-War look

What FN Heard:
1. Ambi Slide-release
2. 509 Sights, no optic cut
3. Rearward extended slide
4. Completely new trigger system
5. Longer grip
6. 17 round magazines
7. 90's Look

I ain’t mad ‘bout what they did with this gun… but you’re not wrong.

HCM
01-22-2022, 12:08 AM
Sad that the Girsan looks the most interesting to me with the best set of features...

Agreed.

Wonder9
01-22-2022, 03:28 AM
Considering the 92 magazine is an evolution of the BHP magazine... I'm giving FN an A+ for cheeky effort and not introducing another proprietary magazine.

Hambo
01-22-2022, 06:47 AM
I would have written this one off completely, but I have a lot of Beretta mags. When it comes out with a rail, optics cut, and aluminum frame (and JMCK makes holsters), I take a longer look.

jellydonut
01-22-2022, 07:02 AM
They should call it something else. When it shares no parts or even mags with the BHP, it should not be called that.

Not only because of nostalgia or because it's plain dumb - but also because trying to find parts for one or the other will now be that much more of a pain in the ass.

Boxy
01-22-2022, 08:27 AM
Considering the 92 magazine is an evolution of the BHP magazine... I'm giving FN an A+ for cheeky effort and not introducing another proprietary magazine.

What is the source of information that indicates Beretta 92 magazines are compatible with the new FN High-power? That would be a plus indeed.

CLaw
01-22-2022, 09:04 AM
What is the source of information that indicates Beretta 92 magazines are compatible with the new FN High-power? That would be a plus indeed.

But if it doesn't have the look, feel, etc. of the old hi-power, why not just grab a 92x Performance Defense with some Langdon love (aside from the dumb beavertail and vertex grip which I hate)? Basically, I'm saying, I'd rather have a SA only LTT with their RDO cut if I was wanting a SA 9 mm at this point. Honestly, I think I'd prefer that over a Staccato for the benefit of cheaper magazines that I have a ton of...

I'm going to stop thinking about this FN abomination now and go dry-fire my LTT. Thank you Langdon... lol

CLaw
01-22-2022, 09:05 AM
Duplicate, please delete. Sorry.

Boxy
01-22-2022, 10:27 AM
But if it doesn't have the look, feel, etc. of the old hi-power, why not just grab a 92x Performance Defense with some Langdon love (aside from the dumb beavertail and vertex grip which I hate)? Basically, I'm saying, I'd rather have a SA only LTT with their RDO cut if I was wanting a SA 9 mm at this point. Honestly, I think I'd prefer that over a Staccato for the benefit of cheaper magazines that I have a ton of...

I'm going to stop thinking about this FN abomination now and go dry-fire my LTT. Thank you Langdon... lol

You are probably very correct. I am always trying to rationalize/justify the cost/benefit of a new piece while I carry a G19 and the rest of the 1911, 92, Hipower, and various Glock type pistols sit in the safe. Its all about the excitement the acquisition of a new pattern pistol and optimizing it, then defaulting back to the Glock.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2022, 10:40 AM
De-Glocking the safe was kinda the beginning of my downsizing. Then all the other etceteras. Mostly what's left is B92, USP, or classic Sig. And Browning .22 pistols. I haven't thought seriously about buying any semi-auto pistol that isn't one of those in a couple years now. And I'm down to three revolvers, probably going to make it two.

I apparently have a time-wasting compulsion to be on top of things and know what's going on with new developments, but at least it has stopped going all the way to spending money.

Like others, if it's not going to be basically a modernized Hi Power, I find this gun ultimately pointless so far. For what it will cost, it needs to be able to compete with a nicely tuned B92, Sig (or new P210), entry-level 1911, CZ, etc. I don't anticipate that it will do that successfully.

Wonder9
01-22-2022, 05:02 PM

"smglee @fn_america brought back the #hipower (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=hipower) with some major modifications such as beavertail and main spring housing with ability for after market parts, upgraded locking lug on the barrel, a new takedown lever, Beretta compatible magazines, and a revised grip. Many possibilities for aftermarket and factory accessories to come. Maybe even a railed version #gunporn (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=gunporn) #2a (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2a) #reimagined (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=reimagined) #igdaily (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=igdaily) #pistol (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=pistol) #classic"

TheNewbie
01-22-2022, 05:31 PM
As long as these have a firing pin safety, or something that makes them drop safe, I would be happy with lighter weight version and better safety, but I could probably live with the safety was is.

Rick R
01-22-2022, 05:40 PM
Beretta compatible magazines, and a revised grip. Many possibilities for aftermarket and factory accessories to come. Maybe even a railed version

Ok, now I’m more interested. Hopefully FN will bring one to the Outdoor Show next month in Harrisburg PA for me to fondle. The P-35 was the first successful double stack magazine pistol, shifting to Beretta magazines is interesting.

MattyD380
01-23-2022, 03:40 PM

It's a bit thinner? And I’d venture to say there’s still probably gonna be a notable difference in the “feel” compared to a 92–which isn’t to say a 92 doesn’t feel great, in its own right.

Obviously, we’re talking first-world handgun problems here: 92, P35, P226, Mauser C96… they all shoot people. But, if details matter, maybe this thing might fit some people better.

gato naranja
01-23-2022, 04:58 PM
...Mauser C96… they all shoot people. But, if details matter, maybe this thing might fit some people better.

If there was ever a time for HK to reintroduce THAT one, it would be now.

MattyD380
01-23-2022, 05:10 PM

I heard it was actually pretty popular with Corellian smugglers.

But yeah. I'd love having one of those.

MandoWookie
01-23-2022, 09:24 PM

Or someone to make a decent .22 replica, just for a range toy, which is all a C96 would really be on the modern market.

gato naranja
01-24-2022, 06:52 AM
...just for a range toy, which is all a C96 would really be on the modern market.

I am curmudgeon enough to think that there is no weapon of the past so flawed or cumbersome that it wouldn't have a group of advocates insisting that it still has practical application. Somewhere, a Broomhandle aficionado will see this, pump their fist and exclaim, "Yes-s-s-s-s!!!"

(Says a guy who were it not for pesky fees and meddling restrictions, would have a BAR in his safe.)

MandoWookie
01-24-2022, 08:07 AM
(Says a guy who were it not for pesky fees and meddling restrictions, would have a BAR in his safe.)

So say we all. ( Original 1918 or FN Model D for me)

MistWolf
01-24-2022, 09:23 AM
So say we all. ( Original 1918 or FN Model D for me)

Sayla.Whatever model my father carried in the Marine Corps

Jim Watson
01-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Or someone to make a decent .22 replica, just for a range toy, which is all a C96 would really be on the modern market.

There was a weird little .22 "broom handle" built on the AR7 action. Just doesn't have the panache, though.

MattyD380
01-24-2022, 10:47 AM
I am curmudgeon enough to think that there is no weapon of the past so flawed or cumbersome that it wouldn't have a group of advocates insisting that it still has practical application. Somewhere, a Broomhandle aficionado will see this, pump their fist and exclaim, "Yes-s-s-s-s!!!"

[Pump] Yes!

Ways in which a C96 would still be "relevant": It's already kind of PCCish; you could attach a stock; you could chamber it in 7.63 Mauser and (probably) the Tokarev round... maybe even 10MM?!

A modernized C96 in 10mm? That would be dope. Also, I wonder if you'd be able to cram revolver calibers in that thing? That would be... fascinating.

Damn. I was just kinda being silly, but this actually sounds cool.

JonInWA
01-24-2022, 02:18 PM
[Pump] Yes!

Ways in which a C96 would still be "relevant": It's already kind of PCCish; you could attach a stock; you could chamber it in 7.63 Mauser and (probably) the Tokarev round... maybe even 10MM?!

A modernized C96 in 10mm? That would be dope. Also, I wonder if you'd be able to cram revolver calibers in that thing? That would be... fascinating.

Damn. I was just kinda being silly, but this actually sounds cool.

Except my understanding is that the disassembly/reassembly, particularly a detailed one, is kinda up there with a Pre-Mark IV Ruger .22 auto....I seem to recall thaqt there is one specific component that you can easily install incorectly that mandated an immediate trip to a gunsmith to correct...

Best, Jon

Elwin
01-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Except my understanding is that the disassembly/reassembly, particularly a detailed one, is kinda up there with a Pre-Mark IV Ruger .22 auto....I seem to recall thaqt there is one specific component that you can easily install incorectly that mandated an immediate trip to a gunsmith to correct...

Best, Jon

Is it one that causes the gun to fire when taken off safe? Because that happened to me when I shot one. Instant Rules 2 and 4 reinforcement.

Lex Luthier
01-24-2022, 02:54 PM
C96s...

The .30 Mauser variants also tend to eventually crack the frame in a way that makes welding it up difficult and expensive. Now, if you unintentionally chamber .30 Tokarev, that cracking can occur quite a bit more rapidly.

MattyD380
01-24-2022, 03:22 PM
I mean…

http://kb.perpendicularangel.com/images/5/5f/Aint-even-mad-han-sw.jpeg

Those guns were made 120 years ago. In this theoretical, metaphysical, gun-hipster-led universe where this could actually happen… H&K would fix all that. With a reinforced frame design, improved lock work, and detachable box magazine instead of a stripper clip.

And... they could take a page from FN's playbook and make a super-subtle change to the original name of the gun that they basically redesigned:

The C96 BOOMhandle.

Tokarev
01-31-2022, 12:37 PM
John from ASP talks about a couple new handguns.

FNHP starts at about five minutes:

https://youtu.be/c3M1JzFULKU

Thy.Will.Be.Done
04-19-2022, 09:00 AM
These have certainly got my interest at this point, always thought the Hi-Power was a nice design but never owned one. Looks like this may be the next step similar to the M9A3/M9A4, maybe the next version will have the optics cut. Any reason why these couldn't be cut for an optic by design of the firing pin, etc? I've never seen Hi-power with slide mounted optics...

zeleny
04-24-2022, 09:00 PM
C96s...

The .30 Mauser variants also tend to eventually crack the frame in a way that makes welding it up difficult and expensive. Now, if you unintentionally chamber .30 Tokarev, that cracking can occur quite a bit more rapidly.Having examined no end of high round count C96 Mausers, I would like to see this claim corroborated with evidence.

zeleny
04-24-2022, 09:02 PM
Why is the FN "new" HiPower so much heavier than the SA-35?To venture an educated guess, to address the fragility of the original Browning-Saive design.

MattyD380
04-25-2022, 10:23 AM
This new “High Power” is a different gun entirely. The overall lines, to me, look fairly reminiscent of a P226—especially the grip and rear of the slide. I can’t be sure… but, based on pics, I’m thinking slide might be a bit thicker than a true BHP. So, I guess it stands to reason that it’s a bit bulkier and heavier.

JonInWA
04-25-2022, 07:20 PM
I strongly suspect that the relative increased weight and bulk had to do with the ability to relatively seamlessly move from a steel/aluminum frame to a polymer one, with little to no receiver redesign necessary. Best, Jon

Paul D
04-25-2022, 08:52 PM
I hope they designed it so it can integrate their Low Profile Optics Mounting System.

I was 'suckered' into buying an FN 509C MRD pistol by an FN rep who was displaying FN stuff at my indoor range this Sunday. The mounting system is very ingenious. I think it is the best OEM mounting system out there. I mean...I wasn't even interested in FN! However that beguiling siren (his name was Joe and he had a full beard) offered me two free extra mags, plus the rebate for another 2 mags, a hat and a pin. I'd be losing money if I didn't buy it! Anyways...I have a Holoson 407CO that a bought from a forum member on the way to try on this gun.

Kanye Wyoming
04-25-2022, 09:35 PM
I'd be losing money if I didn't buy it!
Resolved: That this be adopted as the official P-F vision statement.

Tokarev
04-28-2022, 04:53 AM
Anyone seen one in the wild anywhere? What about an official release date? I've seen a few website and print ads but so far haven't found one actually for sale anywhere.

19852+
04-28-2022, 08:41 AM
This guy (smglee) says that this new Hi Power uses Beretta magazines and that the beavertail portion is modular:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9VRkVpMV8/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If true it would seal the deal for me since I have many, many M9 mags.. Even if not I do like the design.

MattyD380
04-28-2022, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I haven’t seen any evidence that it’s available or anyone has it yet. Curious to see/hear some actual objective impressions. Not that I think it’s gonna be shitty—just curious what the experience will be like vs. an actual P35.

Chuck Whitlock
04-28-2022, 01:28 PM
Our own Tamara wrote a little something:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/a-higher-power/

JonInWA
04-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Nice write-up. We haven't heard much from Tam here recently. I hope she's ok, and hasn't become p-f jaded.

Best, Jon

Joe in PNG
04-29-2022, 06:15 AM
Nice write-up. We haven't heard much from Tam here recently. I hope she's ok, and hasn't become p-f jaded.

Best, Jon

She's writing pretty regular on her blog, but I suspect has a bit of forum burnout.

Tokarev
07-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Good lengthy write-up in the August edition of American Rifleman.

I don't see the article on the NRA AR website otherwise I would post a link.

Anyway, worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

Dave Williams
07-24-2022, 05:16 PM
Good lengthy write-up in the August edition of American Rifleman.

I don't see the article on the NRA AR website otherwise I would post a link.

Anyway, worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjp0PGvxZL5AhXLLzQIHZoBDbsQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nxtbook.com%2Fnxtbooks%2Fnra %2Far_202208%2Findex.php&usg=AOvVaw3RvbER7jUn-arcG2PyiD4U

Digital version of the magazine.

Tokarev
08-02-2022, 06:38 AM
Here's the actual online version:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/different-but-oh-so-familiar-fn-s-21st-century-high-power/

LockedBreech
08-02-2022, 11:11 AM
On most levels, the Springfield SA-35 appeals to me more. That said, the stainless look is...not bad at all.

TiroFijo
08-02-2022, 12:24 PM
Here's the actual online version:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/different-but-oh-so-familiar-fn-s-21st-century-high-power/

Oh my... it's a piggy!

RevolverRob
08-02-2022, 12:29 PM
[T]he 2022 re-introduction departs so significantly, both externally and within, from its predecessor that they share no parts interchangeability or commonality at all. The new guns are longer, taller and heavier than their precursors...

So it's an HPINO.

Joe in PNG
08-02-2022, 05:04 PM
Hopefully someone will develop and market a SFS kit for this one.

Tokarev
08-02-2022, 07:21 PM
So it's an HPINO."The new guns are longer, taller and heavier than their precursors..."

I've often said to myself, "Geez. I sure wish the Hi-Power was longer, taller and heavier."

I finally have my wish!

Joe in PNG
08-02-2022, 07:34 PM
I kind of understand the reasoning- the legacy HP does have a bit of a reputation for not being especially durable; and even Mec-Gar's Tardis tech can still only squeeze 15 rounds into the mag.

Still, an aluminum framed LW version would be welcome.

Tokarev
08-02-2022, 08:07 PM
I kind of understand the reasoning- the legacy HP does have a bit of a reputation for not being especially durable; and even Mec-Gar's Tardis tech can still only squeeze 15 rounds into the mag.

Still, an aluminum framed LW version would be welcome.Yep.

4RNR
08-02-2022, 09:45 PM
With all the concern about dimensions who is actually going to EDC this? It's a 1/4 inch longer and 5/8 taller and 6oz more.

Paul D
08-02-2022, 10:30 PM
With all the concern about dimensions who is actually going to EDC this? It's a 1/4 inch longer and 5/8 taller and 6oz more.

People who carry 1911s.

4RNR
08-02-2022, 10:35 PM
People who carry 1911s.So it's a lightweight 1911!! :)

MandoWookie
08-03-2022, 02:29 AM
Anybody know what the price tag is going to be on this?
I'm actually getting more and more interested in it as a Pseudo-1911 that is built ground up for 9mm.
If they come out with an optics ready option too, that would be another point in its favor.

jh9
08-03-2022, 08:19 AM
People who carry 1911s.

For all the people who want 9mm 1911s without (hopefully) the headache or expense of getting one right it seems to tick very similar boxes.

MattyD380
08-03-2022, 11:19 AM
"The new guns are longer, taller and heavier than their precursors..."

I've often said to myself, "Geez. I sure wish the Hi-Power was longer, taller and heavier."

I finally have my wish!

Haha. True.

But...

I feel like if you remove the forced, contrived, erroneous veil of Hi Power expectations... you've got a nice, high-cap, all-metal SAO service pistol, that likely shoots very well. Maybe there's a market for that? People seem to like full-size 9mm 1911s... and this is more of a "native" platform for 9mm.

Graham Bates has a video with shooting impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR32FWPLJ1I

To me, the lines and proportions evoke P226 more than P35. I initially thought, maybe, they used a classic Sig or an Arex as sort of a template for this thing (esp. since it has the internal extractor). But, reading the AR article, it seems like this is very much its own thing. For instance, it looks like they're still running the trigger/sear linkage through the slide, as with the OG P35... but it's got some fancy, serpentine-looking transfer bar (which I initially thought was the extractor) instead of the straight bar like the P35.

MattyD380
08-03-2022, 11:23 AM

Still, an aluminum framed LW version would be welcome.

My wife will appreciate your Tardis reference. She owns the entire Dr. Who series, dating back to 1962.

High Cross
08-03-2022, 11:41 AM
"The new guns are longer, taller and heavier than their precursors..."

I finally have my wish!

I cant stop laughing. Epic post

Tokarev
08-21-2022, 03:32 PM
MAC reviews the new FN:

https://youtu.be/yHL7SNrVD2c

Bucky
08-21-2022, 06:32 PM
MAC reviews the new FN:

https://youtu.be/yHL7SNrVD2c

That channel is still around. I lost track of that sometime ago. I guess the algorithm didn’t think I wanted to watch it anymore. ;)

Suvorov
08-21-2022, 07:55 PM
That channel is still around. I lost track of that sometime ago. I guess the algorithm didn’t think I wanted to watch it anymore. ;)

He seems to have changed his format to a sitting around and discussing stuff with buddies like Primary and Secondary does but without the clout. It really doesn’t work for him.

Nice to see he still does his old format.

Polecat
08-21-2022, 10:53 PM
Wonder if they will go with a compact or sub? Years ago I had one of the small BDAs in DA/ SA. I would like to shoot one.

MandoWookie
08-22-2022, 03:06 AM

He turned into a slightly less long winded Nutnfancy. On the plus side, unlike most reviewers, he seems cursed that he always gets lemons so his reviews are generally by default better than most shill channels. But there are only so many generic AR reviews I can stomach.

Tokarev
09-07-2022, 01:22 PM
TFBTV talks up the new High Power

https://youtu.be/0_7a05O3vd4

JHC
09-08-2022, 11:31 AM
deleted - posted in the wrong BHP thread

SwampDweller
09-08-2022, 09:28 PM
Does this actually count as a Hi Power design? Or is it so removed from the original design that it's its own thing, just with some passing resemblance to the Hi Power?

I do wonder what the reliability and durability of this pistol is like, especially compared with the originals. I know the original Hi Power wasn't the most durable pistol, but as I understand it, it was quite a reliable design (particularly in it's Mk III form), simplified further from the 1911, was it not?

Stephanie B
09-09-2022, 07:08 AM
Does this actually count as a Hi Power design? Or is it so removed from the original design that it's its own thing, just with some passing resemblance to the Hi Power?

Like a Dodge Charger or a Ford Mustang? But in thinking about it, the parallels are not exact. Those cars still take the same gas and fit in the same garages.