PDA

View Full Version : Kimber K6xs, aluminum 38spl for 2022

GearFondler
01-16-2022, 11:07 PM
I just found this on Reddit after my buddy revolvergeek mentioned it to me... It was posted 4 months ago from Kimber's 2022 catalog so I assume it will be revealed at SHOT.
I can't be the only one very interested in a 16oz, 6 round, 38spl, K6 option.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220117/349dd97e7f388031cfe1e922dcf42a39.jpg

fatdog
01-16-2022, 11:10 PM
excellent design, being Kimber I will wait for field reports

Totem Polar
01-16-2022, 11:25 PM
Aaaand… it just so happens that I still have a set of VZ grips and some AIWB kydex for a K6s around here somewhere.

awp_101
01-16-2022, 11:55 PM
Aaaand… it just so happens that I still have a set of VZ grips and some AIWB kydex for a K6s around here somewhere.

I don’t remember, was there anything in particular that ended your K6 experiment?

OlongJohnson
01-17-2022, 12:00 AM
Too bad it's still mandatory to conceal. Like an LCR, and for the same reasons.

GearFondler
01-17-2022, 12:00 AM
Aaaand… it just so happens that I still have a set of VZ grips and some AIWB kydex for a K6s around here somewhere.The Frame Blurb there states it has a slightly smaller frame so that may not work out.

RevolverRob
01-17-2022, 12:01 AM
Hoping for a .327Magnum and a 3" version too...

WobblyPossum
01-17-2022, 12:04 AM
Why does it have crappy gutter sights instead of the good sights the .357 versions have?

GearFondler
01-17-2022, 12:09 AM
Why does it have crappy gutter sights instead of the good sights the .357 versions have?That's the one thing that also bugged me as well... Cost savings is my guess but it's kind of a let down as Kimber has never shyed away from high MSRP's.
They could have at least serated the rear sight to make it less shiny and easier to see.

JCN
01-17-2022, 12:25 AM
I just found this on Reddit after my buddy revolvergeek mentioned it to me... It was posted 4 months ago from Kimber's 2022 catalog so I assume it will be revealed at SHOT.
I can't be the only one very interested in a 16oz, 6 round, 38spl, K6 option.

I guess Taurus 856UL was too hot of a market segment for them to ignore!

I am looking forward to hearing Totem Polar range report so I can be enabled. Again.

Totem Polar
01-17-2022, 12:46 AM
I don’t remember, was there anything in particular that ended your K6 experiment?

I think it might have been a 1911. But I can’t really remember…
:D

The Frame Blurb there states it has a slightly smaller frame so that may not work out.

I strongly suspect that the grip frame is the same, considering that it is using an aftermarket Hogue grip. Looks to me like the difference is thinning the new version around the cylinder window, eg, the top strap; possibly the cylinder window length—all the fire control parts still have to fit in the ass end. I suppose we shall see. History has shown me to be sort of that way.
;)

RAM Engineer
01-17-2022, 02:04 AM
Hey, the cylinder is round, fluted normally

Willard
01-17-2022, 06:18 AM
... Cost savings is my guess

When these first came out they were hailed as MIM free. Trigger on this one looks MIM, so I suspect this is correct.

Hambo
01-17-2022, 06:59 AM
Why does it have crappy gutter sights instead of a base for optics?

FIFY

MandoWookie
01-18-2022, 02:08 AM
Why does it have crappy gutter sights instead of the good sights the .357 versions have?

Looks at least to be a better gutter than what is on J-frames.

UNK
01-18-2022, 05:44 AM
Too bad it's still mandatory to conceal. Like an LCR, and for the same reasons.

Are you saying its too large for pocket carry like an lcr?

ETA Cant help but wonder about the front sight and poa/poi regulation and for what bullet. Be cool if it came with two front sight heights and was easy to change out.

mtnbkr
01-18-2022, 07:07 AM
Are you saying its too large for pocket carry like an lcr?

I think he's saying it's ugly. :)

Chris

awp_101
01-18-2022, 05:37 PM
I think it might have been a 1911. But I can’t really remember…
:D
A perfectly valid reason!🤣

Wingate's Hairbrush
04-15-2023, 04:55 PM
This is live:

https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6xs-38-spl

Totem Polar
04-15-2023, 05:40 PM
This is live:

Both the weight and the price look compelling. I still have some VZ grips for a K6S around here somewhere, too. I’m most likely in, once these things have been out for a bit.

JWintergreen
04-15-2023, 06:25 PM
As long as these prove to be reliable and have decent QC, I'm a buyer on this one. Something like this (easy to pack, small frame .38 or .357 six shooter) is what Ruger and Smith should be offering.

If the the folks at Colt had common sense, a tradtionally styled (e.g. without a trigger guard the size of Montana) alloy frame Cobra could have beat this product to market and sold like hotcakes.

Navin Johnson
04-15-2023, 08:39 PM
They were smart enough to make it 38 to keep weight down (wish smith would make the 342 again-smaller and lighter than the 340)

Kinda surprised SW hasn't made a J+ frame 6 banger (hammerless would be a good jacket pocket blaster)

I think i've only seen Kimber revos in big box stores (No gun shops in my area carry any Kimbers except Cabelas)

Many shops mostly carry J type revolvers and maybe a couple larger

GearFondler
04-15-2023, 10:07 PM
Gets excited about this new thread before realizing I started it myself over a year ago... Wow.

Velo Dog
04-16-2023, 02:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1_qy7kCCg

luckyman
04-16-2023, 03:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1_qy7kCCg

Good to hear it fits existing holsters; that’s already a serious weak point with Kimber revolvers.

Man , I have it in my budget to buy a lightweight Taurus 856 in August. This is hopefully going to make it a nice hard decision when that time comes.

TicTacticalTimmy
04-16-2023, 11:41 PM
Checks off a lot of boxes for me, but I can't understand why they would go with a fixed front sight...

awp_101
04-17-2023, 07:49 AM
If it's J frame sized and I can drop it in a pocket like my 442, I'm interested. If it's not, I'm not as interested.

Half Moon
04-17-2023, 08:44 AM
If it's J frame sized and I can drop it in a pocket like my 442, I'm interested. If it's not, I'm not as interested.

Yeah, hoping it's a misprint on the specs since 7.8" length with a 2" barrel seems oversized. That's more than a 3" J or a 2" K for that matter. A typo'd 6.8" length would make more sense

jandbj
04-18-2023, 05:16 PM
At the moment, I feel like a pair of 856 revolvers is a better bang for the buck over a single K6xs. 🤷🏻*♂️

Rotundra
04-19-2023, 07:12 AM
Been waiting on this for a while..

With that said, I’m hoping the specs are incorrect, as I’m looking for something close to 442 size/pocketable. I also agree that the front sight should have been dovetailed, especially with a steel barrel….

Corse
04-19-2023, 11:46 AM
I thought the video stated it would use the same holsters as the 357 version.

luckyman
04-19-2023, 01:50 PM

Yes it did. I’m sure the length was just a typo.

Wooosh
05-12-2023, 01:05 AM

That's the one thing that also bugged me as well... Cost savings is my guess but it's kind of a let down as Kimber has never shyed away from high MSRP's.
They could have at least serated the rear sight to make it less shiny and easier to see.

I'm guessing that it also has something to do with the issues that arises from dovetailing a steel sight into a piece of aluminum. I can imagine the recoil, in addition to Kimber's often lackluster QC, would drive the steel sight off-center.

Det1397
07-05-2023, 05:55 PM
There’s a neat thread over on the smith-wesson forum about the K6xs as we speak. The author is a friend and a BIG S&W kinda guy, but he’s open minded. So far so good,with some excellent photos. http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-knives-other-brands/704402-kimber-k6xs-alloy-frame-finally-here.html

WobblyPossum
07-05-2023, 06:15 PM
Thanks for that link. The comparison photos really give you a good understanding of the size relative to a J Frame. I thought the K6 was bigger.

Totem Polar
07-05-2023, 07:08 PM
There’s a neat thread over on the smith-wesson forum about the K6xs as we speak. The author is a friend and a BIG S&W kinda guy, but he’s open minded. So far so good,with some excellent photos. http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-knives-other-brands/704402-kimber-k6xs-alloy-frame-finally-here.html

I forgot all about this thing. Thanks for bumping the thread. :)

Lester Polfus
07-05-2023, 09:02 PM

That's probably one of the most useful posts I've read on the Smith Forum.

PTSDog
07-06-2023, 09:42 AM
I had a K6 in 2017ish. Never had a problem with mine. Nor did I ever hear if the ten or so others that had them. But we were just regular guys, shooting 100 or so rounds a month through them at the range. The only reason I got rid of mine was due to it being TOO PRETTY to watch it get scratched up being carried. I’m weird like that. But I thought of the K6 as a more refined SP101 plus one more round. Until the K6 came along, the SP was the only smaller revolver I would shoot 357s out of. The K6 was a wonderful shooter as well.

Fast forward to last year, got a K6 DA/SA. I did not like carrying it AIWB due to the hammer. Sold it when I heard about the K6XS coming out. Of course, still waiting for one! I can see a pair of K6XSs curing me of my K Frame snubbie fever. At least for now.

sharps54
07-07-2023, 08:35 PM
Euro Optic has them in stock, I’m tempted to order one but just bought a G19 from another forum member here so I have to rebuild my hobby fund.

rathos
07-29-2023, 03:14 PM
I paid for one of these yesterday (stupid Washington waiting periods). The triggers are not as good as their steel framed counterparts. I got to look at three of them and pick the one that felt the best. They do seem a bit more crude than the steel framed version and they are made in the Troy Alabama plant. I guess I will have to see how they are to shoot in a few days. It felt a lot lighter than the listed weight, and even lighter than my smith 442. As long as it can shoot it will make a great carry gun.

42Willys
07-29-2023, 06:13 PM
Please update us after shooting rathos

Totem Polar
07-29-2023, 06:19 PM
Please update us after shooting rathos

Indeed.

Zeke38
07-30-2023, 05:41 PM
Checked one out at the LGS yesterday. No offense but my new Taurus 856 UL has a rough and heavy action but it is better than the K6xs I fondled yesterday. I own two K6s and the actions are quite nice with the early issue 2 inch better than the later K6 DA/SA.

Fit was good on the new lightweight K6 but that action had some serious glitches, catches and stalls on the way to the rear of the trigger guard. They look good but check out the action. Until I find a K6xs with a good action I will continue to pack my 856 UL.

Inkwell 41
07-30-2023, 06:04 PM
I came across one of these in my local, friendly gun shop today. On this sample, there was a wall in the trigger, big enough to close off the Southern border. Unfortunately, this was the only example in the shop so I couldn’t compare it with another. The Taurus 856 Ultralight in the case had a smoother pull and no wall.

Hizzie
07-31-2023, 07:11 AM
I picked up a K6xs (and 856 ULCH) yesterday as part of retail therapy. Both have excellent triggers. I was shocked by the trigger on the K6xs. It was smooth and seemed shorter than others. While the Hogue grips are nothing to write home about in my hand it points perfectly. The fixed sights are bold. The orange they use for the dot in the front sight is pathetic from a visibility standpoint. There seems like plenty of meat if someone had a mill for installing custom bumpy things on the top. Tom is sending me an Apollo for the standard K6 to verify fit with the K6xs.

Hopefully I’ll get to the range this week. If not it’ll have to wait until the move.

Zeke38
07-31-2023, 09:13 AM
Hope abounds! Thanks Hizzie llok forward to your range report and the opportunity to try other XSes.

Zeke38
08-01-2023, 07:48 PM
I was in Moscow, Idaho again today and went to my LGS. Tried the K6xs I wrote about yesterday, and it felt like a new gun. There must have been a burr on the action as the trigger reminded me of my K6 2" that I purchased in 2018. Now the dilemma which roundgun in my collection must go to finance the purchase of the K6xs.

I've promised myself not to purchase any more firearms.What I really need is a six shot 9mm revolver due to ammo prices.

Listed price before taxes was $579.50.

Anyone interested TriState Outfitters Moscow Idaho

Totem Polar
08-01-2023, 08:06 PM
I was in Moscow, Idaho again today and went to my LGS. Tried the K6xs I wrote about yesterday, and it felt like a new gun. There must have been a burr on the action as the trigger reminded me of my K6 2" that I purchased in 2018. Now the dilemma which roundgun in my collection must go to finance the purchase of the K6xs.

I've promised myself not to purchase any more firearms.What I really need is a six shot 9mm revolver due to ammo prices.

Listed price before taxes was $579.50.

Anyone interested TriState Outfitters Moscow Idaho

I freaking love TriState in Moscow.

Bit of arcane P-F trivia: when Mrs Totem and I got married, lo these 30 years ago, we registered at TriState. Mrs T reminds me that TriState was the *only* place we registered. Still have the sleeping bags and a bunch of other stuff from there due to tying the knot as poor-ass, outdoorsy college students.

And, yeah, I’ve bought a gun or two from them.

Apologies for the tangent; by all means carry on with the carryable Kimber…

luckyman
08-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Anybody know if K6S holsters fit the k6xs?

rathos
08-02-2023, 01:11 AM
I will know 100% in a week or so, but the only real difference in size is the cylinder and maybe the front sight. Holsters should be compatible.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 05:31 AM
At the moment, I feel like a pair of 856 revolvers is a better bang for the buck over a single K6xs. 🤷🏻*♂️

I agree. The lack of a rear sight kills the K6XS for me. It doesn't do anything better or different than the 856 UL other than have a concealed hammer.

Hizzie
08-02-2023, 07:26 AM

Tom is sending me an Apollo. I’ll report back as soon as it lands.

Hizzie
08-02-2023, 07:30 AM
I agree. The lack of a rear sight kills the K6XS for me. It doesn't do anything better or different than the 856 UL other than have a concealed hammer.

IDK. Look at all the meat in the area of the front and rear sights. Looks like plenty of room for some dovetails to be milled. We could possibly see some nice custom builds based on the K6xs.

For the average person though I do agree a pair of 856’s is damn hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 10:05 AM
IDK. Look at all the meat in the area of the front and rear sights. Looks like plenty of room for some dovetails to be milled. We could possibly see some nice custom builds based on the K6xs.

For the average person though I do agree a pair of 856’s is damn hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck.

Why would anyone buy a $500-$600 lower grade Kimber, and then pay hundreds extra to fix it? Kimber revolvers sell, but aren't hot sellers. I doubt anyone is going to tool up or start offering that as a service if it's even possible.

I don't even know of any revolvers or pistols with aluminum frames that have dovetail sights, and there maybe a reason for that. Then the existing Kimber iron sights that are available for the steel frame K6s maybe a harder steel than the aluminum used on the K6XS frame which would also be an issue.... Just more trouble than it's worth for a low budget Kimber revolver.

Lastly, there's also enough aluminum aka "meat" to dovetail the 856 UL too if it were possible.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 10:36 AM
While I don’t own a K6xs, I do own multiple S&W Jframes, a Kimber K6S, a Taurus M85 which is basically a 5 shot 856, and a Taurus 942. They all have very simular designs and use coil main strings. There are inexpensive trigger kits that exist and have existed for years for Taurus revolvers that will improve the trigger pull if that's a necessity someone feels they require. IMHO, the stock 856 and even S&W Jframes trigger are perfectly fine. Lightweight 2" DAO snubbies are long range target pistols. The triggers on all of the above are more than efficient enough for their purpose IMHO.

Speaking objectively it just seems like the only thing you really get with the K6XS is the Kimber name vs Taurus and maybe a nicer looking revolver??? That maybe worth the extra $200-$300 for some I reckon.

PTSDog
08-02-2023, 03:48 PM

I got to hold a K6xs yesterday at Cabela’s in Columbus. Was not impressed. Very “un K6” like, with its blocky design and cheap looking. One thing that the K6 has is it’s beautiful lines and how it just melts it’s smooth comers. Not so on the XS version.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 08:08 PM
I got to hold a K6xs yesterday at Cabela’s in Columbus. Was not impressed. Very “un K6” like, with its blocky design and cheap looking. One thing that the K6 has is it’s beautiful lines and how it just melts it’s smooth comers. Not so on the XS version.
That's what I've been hearing. I will probably just buy a S&W 340PD instead.

I was excited about the aluminum version too at first until the details came out. Kimber might have an asterisk by their name for hit or miss 1911s, but their build quality and looks were always top notch. I'm not seeing that with XS version. No hate towards Kimber as I own a 3" K6S DASA, so I would have loved to have a lightweight mini-me. I would have rathered they kept the same price range as the K6S, but added more bells, whistles, and build quality. They should have tried to complete with the S&W model 340 PD instead of the Taurus 856 IMHO. People who buy Kimbers do mind spending extra if they're getting something for their money.

https://primarmi.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/1SWR163062-cover-1-1000x800.jpg

An .357. 11-12oz K6S with a fixed pinned front and rear sights and scandium alloy frame would have stole my money. Would have taken sales away from the 5 shot S&W 340 PD too. That's what they should have made in black and in stainless/grey.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 09:37 PM
People who buy Kimbers do NOT* mind spending extra if they're getting something for their money.

L-2
08-02-2023, 09:59 PM
I've got (only) four J-frames (642, 640Pro, 60, 637), but now that the Kimber K6 series has now been out for awhile now, I just may go into a LGS and touch & hold one.
I haven't heard of any of these K6 models breaking down, unless someone here has more info on its reliability.

I did notice since the first K6 models came out, some of these models are already gone/discontinued.
I don't know if these discontinued models is an indication the entire product line is likely to disappear or not.

Anyway, no decisions for now. As I said, I haven't even touched one yet.

TeflonDon
08-02-2023, 10:45 PM
I've got (only) four J-frames (642, 640Pro, 60, 637), but now that the Kimber K6 series has now been out for awhile now, I just may go into a LGS and touch & hold one.
I haven't heard of any of these K6 models breaking down, unless someone here has more info on its reliability.

I did notice since the first K6 models came out, some of these models are already gone/discontinued.
I don't know if these discontinued models is an indication the entire product line is likely to disappear or not.

Anyway, no decisions for now. As I said, I haven't even touched one yet.

They may hay discontinued some finishes, but that's about it. I own a S&W 640 Pro and 3" 60. The K6S'es are really nice. They're like prelock Smith in that they do not have ANY MIM parts. Every last thing is machine from bar stock. 0f course, there's no Hillary whole either. That said, I personally like the M640 Pro better.

This is the only pic I have of my K6S DASA next to my Colt King Cobra.
https://i.imgur.com/CDEWywq.jpg

Hizzie
08-03-2023, 07:32 AM

This confuses me. They share the same lines. The fixed sights of the XS follow the profile of the adjustable on the S. The cylinder is fluted and has the ejector rod cutout to get below that magical 16oz mark. Cylinder flutes are pretty standard and many of the fancy models from S&W have the little window cutout for the ejector rod to look cooler. They take the same grips from what I’m told and have seen so far. I will confirm they fit the same holsters once usps graces me with my package from Tom. The build quality looks good on the couple samples I’ve seen. Truthfully the only part of the gun that looks cheap is the shitty paint in the front sight.

PTSDog
08-03-2023, 07:52 AM
This confuses me. They share the same lines. The fixed sights of the XS follow the profile of the adjustable on the S. The cylinder is fluted and has the ejector rod cutout to get below that magical 16oz mark. Cylinder flutes are pretty standard and many of the fancy models from S&W have the little window cutout for the ejector rod to look cooler. They take the same grips from what I’m told and have seen so far. I will confirm they fit the same holsters once usps graces me with my package from Tom. The build quality looks good on the couple samples I’ve seen. Truthfully the only part of the gun that looks cheap is the shitty paint in the front sight.

Sorry, should have state those are my thoughts about he XS version. I had problems telling it from the 856UL that was right next to it in the case. And to me, the XS doesn’t seem to have the quality the S has.

L-2
08-03-2023, 08:22 AM
Here's a link so I/we don't have to keep searching for it in this thread:
https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver

rathos
08-16-2023, 03:02 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to fire it yet, but my proceed finally came back this last Sunday (or at least that was when the gun store called me to pick it up). I have done a bit of dry firing and the trigger has already smoothed out quite a bit. I did notice the gun was fairly dirty so guessing there was very little wipe down after the factory put some rounds through it. It weighs in a 15.8 ounces with the hogue grip it comes with and the trigger pull averaged about 10.7 pounds on my digital trigger gauge. I also noticed they have a free speed strip included with the gun. One thing that was missing is the tool used to remove the grip, so when buying one, you might want to check to box to insure its included if you wish to swap out the grip at some point. I will post again after shooting. I have some high desert cartridge ammo I received from the owner this last week at the Pressburg class to try out along with some remington 130 grain and some 148 grain plated wadcutters. With it being a bit heavier than my 442 and this grip being a bit longer I imagine it will be a bit easier to shoot.

rathos
08-19-2023, 06:24 PM
Today was the day. I finally got this gun to the range. I was somewhat impressed, but also disappointed. I fired about 150 rounds. Some 125 grain TMJ, some 132 grain remington, 148 grain coated wad cutters and 12 rounds of 135 grain gold dot short barrel.

Lets start with the good. The trigger has gotten way better with the small amount of dry fire I have been doing. It made being accurate with the trigger easier. There is no longer a hitch when pulling the trigger. The grips tamed the recoil very well. There was no stinging of the hand when shooting any of the ammo. I was able to hit a steel popper at around 55 yards with 2 to 3 rounds out of each round cylinder.

The bad... I have no clue what ammo the sights on this thing is set for. While the gun grouped well, at 10 yards it was about 4 inches high. It did not matter what ammo I fired. At 25 yards, it was about an inch to 2 inches high. As mentioned above it almost seemed like the sights are regulated for 50 yards as I was basically holding directly on and hitting the popper.

So its a pretty decent gun, but I have no idea how to fix the sight issue other than to just hold low. With how shootable it is, I would almost say the gun is worth the price, but at the same time I would expect the sights to shoot point of aim with at least one type of common ammo. The weight is great and it rides well in an ankle holster. At 5 yards the off set of the sights was not as noticeable, so it is still a good belly gun. What is disappointing is with how shootable the gun is that the sights are not on at any kind of distance.

Next trip I will try a few more kinds of hollow points and see if any of them are better regulated. I might also try some 158 grain .38 special ball.

All in all, for the price I am not quite sure the gun is that much better than anything else on the market, but I am not disappointed I bought the gun.

backtrail540
08-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Today was the day. I finally got this gun to the range. I was somewhat impressed, but also disappointed. I fired about 150 rounds. Some 125 grain TMJ, some 132 grain remington, 148 grain coated wad cutters and 12 rounds of 135 grain gold dot short barrel.

Lets start with the good. The trigger has gotten way better with the small amount of dry fire I have been doing. It made being accurate with the trigger easier. There is no longer a hitch when pulling the trigger. The grips tamed the recoil very well. There was no stinging of the hand when shooting any of the ammo. I was able to hit a steel popper at around 55 yards with 2 to 3 rounds out of each round cylinder.

The bad... I have no clue what ammo the sights on this thing is set for. While the gun grouped well, at 10 yards it was about 4 inches high. It did not matter what ammo I fired. At 25 yards, it was about an inch to 2 inches high. As mentioned above it almost seemed like the sights are regulated for 50 yards as I was basically holding directly on and hitting the popper.

So its a pretty decent gun, but I have no idea how to fix the sight issue other than to just hold low. With how shootable it is, I would almost say the gun is worth the price, but at the same time I would expect the sights to shoot point of aim with at least one type of common ammo. The weight is great and it rides well in an ankle holster. At 5 yards the off set of the sights was not as noticeable, so it is still a good belly gun. What is disappointing is with how shootable the gun is that the sights are not on at any kind of distance.

Next trip I will try a few more kinds of hollow points and see if any of them are better regulated. I might also try some 158 grain .38 special ball.

All in all, for the price I am not quite sure the gun is that much better than anything else on the market, but I am not disappointed I bought the gun.

If it's hitting high, i believe it is because of slower ammo, so maybe it's regulated for faster .357?

rathos
08-19-2023, 07:38 PM
Well that would be pretty magical if you could fit a .357 in it since its a .38.

If it's hitting high, i believe it is because of slower ammo, so maybe it's regulated for faster .357?

backtrail540
08-19-2023, 07:48 PM
Well that would be pretty magical if you could fit a .357 in it since its a .38.

Fair enough, i hadn't kept up with them enough to realize they were not .357 guns like the k6s.

GearFondler
08-19-2023, 08:18 PM
Just change out the front sight with a new...

Oh damn. NVM. Kimber cheaped out on this one.

Zeke38
08-20-2023, 01:24 AM
Try a different grip, I have the K6s 2" and the K6xs and my K6s works best POA/POI with Altamonts. K6xs shoots about 3" high at 10 yds but dead on in azimuth. That works for me, I just train with the sight picture that matches POA/POI. Learned that with an old Colt OP fifty years ago. One load, one sight picture, one gun---bullet goes to one place.

I like my K6xs light with a great action, 6 shots, and easy to shoot well. Not a lot of Kentucky windage as I have with a J frame. Carrying the Federal 120 Punch 38+P.

Dark Star Gear
08-20-2023, 12:10 PM

Sounds like they're the same exterior envelopes. Due to the different materials, there will likely be some potential grabbiness that we're seeing in less broken corners on other metal framed revolvers. If the frame has seen any polishing or "melting", the interior corner of the trigger guard is likely fine. If not, our holster, and potentially others, may need a mild adjustment.

luckyman
08-20-2023, 01:13 PM
Sounds like they're the same exterior envelopes. Due to the different materials, there will likely be some potential grabbiness that we're seeing in less broken corners on other metal framed revolvers. If the frame has seen any polishing or "melting", the interior corner of the trigger guard is likely fine. If not, our holster, and potentially others, may need a mild adjustment.

Yep I can now confirm there is some “grabbiness” with the k6xs. Goes in ok, getting out is more of a challenge. I’m in good shape now though.

gtmtnbiker98
08-20-2023, 01:52 PM
I've had a K6xs for a few weeks now. Not a whole lot of rounds through it, but did test POA/POI using Critical Defense 110 gr +P. At 7-yards, POA was POI using the Critical Defense.

Also of note, the K6xs trigger is no where close to being as good as the K6S.

Hizzie
08-20-2023, 05:49 PM
The K6xs fits perfectly in the Apollo Tom sent me. Like not a hint of anything off.

luckyman
08-20-2023, 06:54 PM
The K6xs fits perfectly in the Apollo Tom sent me. Like not a hint of anything off.

I’m guessing that’s a comment on the differences in finish on our 2 k6sx’s since his Apollo fits my 3”K6S perfectly.

luckyman
08-20-2023, 06:57 PM
I've had a K6xs for a few weeks now. Not a whole lot of rounds through it, but did test POA/POI using Critical Defense 110 gr +P. At 7-yards, POA was POI using the Critical Defense.

Also of note, the K6xs trigger is no where close to being as good as the K6S.

Hoping to get to the range on Tuesday; will take some critical defense along. I bought it for the combo of not-too-bad recoil, and ease of reloading for my lcr but it hit so far off of poi compared to everything else I set it aside and forgot I had it until I saw your post [emoji3]

rathos
09-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Tried my K6xs again today with different grips. I put the regular crimson trace boot grips (no laser) that came on my regular K6 on them. It still shot high at 10 yards and at 25 with 135 gold dot short barrel +P, Federal punch, regular 125 grain gold dot, 148 grain plated wad cutters and 129 grain remington ball. I used an extreme 6 o'clock hold and could pretty much put them where I wanted. I forgot to bring my golden saber +P or the critical defense, so maybe one of those shoots closer to point of aim. I almost want to send in it, but I am guessing there isn't much kimber would do. If I find a load that actually shoots POA/POI I will let you know.

backtrail540
09-09-2023, 05:46 PM
I finally got hands on a k6xs today. It's exactly what I thought it would be. This example had a fine trigger - lightish and smooth enough, though i'm not at all snobbish so if there was grit it wasn't bothersome. It had excellent sights, relative to other gutter sights on snubs. A nice deep notch and bright front, though i would paint the rear notch black and front orange per personal taste. The grips were adequate and seemed workable. Overall an excellent 6 shot j frame equivalent, if it runs...I would like to get one.

Hizzie
12-02-2023, 08:05 PM
While I didn’t get to hammer rounds through mine cuz I was shooting several snubbies I was very pleased with how it performed. It printed Double Tap 148gr wadcutters right to the sights at 10yds. Recoil was mild. Even the FBI load wasn’t bad to shoot.

Greg Bell
12-02-2023, 09:25 PM
I really need one of these

Hizzie
12-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Tried my K6xs again today with different grips. I put the regular crimson trace boot grips (no laser) that came on my regular K6 on them. It still shot high at 10 yards and at 25 with 135 gold dot short barrel +P, Federal punch, regular 125 grain gold dot, 148 grain plated wad cutters and 129 grain remington ball. I used an extreme 6 o'clock hold and could pretty much put them where I wanted. I forgot to bring my golden saber +P or the critical defense, so maybe one of those shoots closer to point of aim. I almost want to send in it, but I am guessing there isn't much kimber would do. If I find a load that actually shoots POA/POI I will let you know.

How are the plain rubber CT boot grips? I’m thinking of grabbing a set.

12-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Like any "boot grip" it leaves your pinkie with nothing to hang on to. Combined with a fairly narrow profile I found it too squirmy for anything above 148 WC loads. This is very subjective of course (XL glove size for me).

rathos
12-03-2023, 09:51 PM
I don't have big hands, but my pinkie does hang a bit. However I got used to shooting like this with my 442. I like the grips. they are nice to hang on to, very little shift when shooting. They go nicely with the K6xs. With the regular K6 I would even shoot 125 gold dot .357 and it wasn't horrible.

I hated the grips that came with the K6xs ( they didn't include the removal tool, so I ended up destroying them taking them off), but those CT boot grips are pretty nice, especially for pocket or ankle carry.

How are the plain rubber CT boot grips? I’m thinking of grabbing a set.

fatdog
01-26-2024, 07:23 AM
...Next trip I will try a few more kinds of hollow points and see if any of them are better regulated.

Two questions

1. for those who own them how are these guns holding up so far?

2. rathos, did you ever find a round that shoots pretty close POA/POI for your gun?

rathos
01-26-2024, 11:10 PM
Two questions

1. for those who own them how are these guns holding up so far?

2. rathos, did you ever find a round that shoots pretty close POA/POI for your gun?

I haven't really shot a ton through it, but I haven't found anything that hits POA/POI

Kinn12
01-27-2024, 10:24 PM
I haven't really shot a ton through it, but I haven't found anything that hits POA/POI

Can confirm, just bought a brand new k6xs, and if shoots about 3"-4" high at 10 yards. Very disappointing that they give you fixed sights and the it shoots that far off. I can get a tight group on the bullseye by aiming at the bottom edge of a 6" target but I want a gun to shoot where I aim it. How could they have machined and designed the sights so badly?

nugi
04-29-2024, 03:17 PM

Any update on this? V curious what these are regulated for

rathos
04-29-2024, 03:56 PM
I got a case of federal gold match and some PPU 158 SWC HP I need to try, but so far the148 plated WC, 135 grain short barrel 132 grain FMJ were all shooting high for me.

Any update on this? V curious what these are regulated for

nugi
04-29-2024, 04:03 PM
I got a case of federal gold match and some PPU 158 SWC HP I need to try, but so far the148 plated WC, 135 grain short barrel 132 grain FMJ were all shooting high for me.

I wonder what 110 and 120 would do. They typically shoot lower for me in a gun regulated for 148

gtmtnbiker98
04-29-2024, 04:19 PM
I wonder what 110 and 120 would do. They typically shoot lower for me in a gun regulated for 148

Critical Defense 110gr shoot POA/POI for me. Anything 158gr shoots high!

rathos
04-29-2024, 04:43 PM
I will have to check that out. I tend to stay away from anything that light, but I would like a round that actually hits where I am aiming.

Critical Defense 110gr shoot POA/POI for me. Anything 158gr shoots high!

D-der
04-29-2024, 06:40 PM
Too bad these aren't more consistent with POA / POI and at least as pocketable as an LCR, I was originally very optimistically waiting for the UC' s to become available, there's been mixed feed back and seemingly very few in the pipe line.
I'm pretty happy with my 642 Pro, Maybe its time to pay for usable sights and carry on.