PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Case Suggestions

seabiscuit
08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Looking for a more secure way to store and transport my rifles: a Marlin bolt action .22 and a M&P15-22.

Currently I have a cheap Plano double-rifle case. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Pelican 1720 - would that fit both rifles? Would it fit a rifle and a pistol? Two AR-15s?

For storage, I'd hide it and maybe use a chain to attach it to a solid piece of furniture that would take time to break down. At this point, my finances and home situation (rental) won't allow me to buy and secure a proper safe.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Dave J
08-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Looking for a more secure way to store and transport my rifles: a Marlin bolt action .22 and a M&P15-22.

Currently I have a cheap Plano double-rifle case. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Pelican 1720 - would that fit both rifles? Would it fit a rifle and a pistol? Two AR-15s?

For storage, I'd hide it and maybe use a chain to attach it to a solid piece of furniture that would take time to break down. At this point, my finances and home situation (rental) won't allow me to buy and secure a proper safe.

Anything else I should be looking at?

I own a Pelican 1720, and consider it money well spent. It's a great size for just about anything AR, IMHO.

Normally, I remove one or two layers of the internal foam, then put a soft nylon rifle case inside the Pelican case. Using it in this manner while flying commercial air, I've carried two M4 style carbines, along with extra optics, plus a pistol or two, and still had room to spare.

For carrying two full size AR-15s, it depends on your configuration. I haven't tried it, but I think two flat tops without optics mounted might fit. Tall optics, probably not -- but that's no big deal with an AR, since you can easily separate the upper & lower to give yourself more flexibility.

As far as using it for home security, chaining it to something isn't going to stop a thief who knows how to use tools, but it's certainly better than nothing, and a good bit stronger than the Plano case you have now.

HTH,
Dave

seabiscuit
08-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Good info, thanks.