PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Covers Purse Guns

JulieG
03-22-2011, 08:41 PM
This one gets a big old sigh....
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/20/magazine/purse-pistols.html?ref=magazine

Kyle Reese
03-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow....:cool:

I've yet to meet a woman that packs a P226 in her purse. :D

I was discussing with a lady friend the reasons that purse carry is generally a bad idea, for a variety of reasons.

I'll share this link with her and get feedback.

JulieG
03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Or a Mark II. I don't even think I have a purse big enough! One thing is for sure, most of those guns are UGH-LY!

Joe in PNG
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
But... but they're all, like, pink and engraved and stuff!

F-Trooper05
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm just surprised that the NY Times is posting something positive about guns. I'll take it.

TCinVA
03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm sort of digging that Hello-Kitty P226. Imagine the look on the police officer's face when he sees that thing after you've just defended yourself from a mugger.

JV_
03-23-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm sort of digging that Hello-Kitty P226.You have similar tastes to my 5 Y.O. daughter, she wants one.

LOKNLOD
03-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm sort of digging that Hello-Kitty P226. Imagine the look on the police officer's face when he sees that thing after you've just defended yourself from a mugger.

My wife has pink grip tape on her G17 (whatever gets her shooting, right?). When my dad saw this the first time he said "I can think of nothing worse than to be shot with a pink gun!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Shooter
03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm just surprised that the NY Times is posting something positive about guns. I'll take it.

Agreed.

Even if they are tacky looking handguns. :D

John Ralston
03-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I guess I am going to have to find some pink leather to make matching Purse Rigs :eek:

YVK
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Pink or not, it works. Posted on another board, bold is mine, full text link is below.

When a burly ex-convict forced his way into a posh Florida home last week, he had no idea what awaited him -- a 25-year-old beauty queen with a pink .38-caliber handgun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22/armed-beauty-queen-fatally-shoots-intruder-florida-home-invasion/#ixzz1HRbc6NJA

JulieG
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Pink or not, it works. Posted on another board, bold is mine, full text link is below.

When a burly ex-convict forced his way into a posh Florida home last week, he had no idea what awaited him -- a 25-year-old beauty queen with a pink .38-caliber handgun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22/armed-beauty-queen-fatally-shoots-intruder-florida-home-invasion/#ixzz1HRbc6NJA

Saw that link on Facebook today. Very cool!

---

I wouldn't say that it is a super positive piece but it definitely is a conversation starter for both sides. The lighthearted "pop" this into the purse comment combined with some of the selections made me roll my eyes.

I just find it so hypocritical. If NYT were doing a piece on fashionable smoke & carbon monoxide detectors I would bet it would read something like...

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are getting a fashion makeover. Now you can protect yourself and your family in style with devices that offer LOUD protection, but those that don't look so alarming in your home.

Instead of this... "As more states allow citizens to carry concealed weapons, manufacturers and customizers are making guns that are flashier, more feminine and easier to pop into a handbag."

Wouldn't it have been awesome to have seen this?
With the number of concealed carry permits on the rise, especially among women, some manufacturers have focused on making guns more appealing to this demographic. Lightweight, smaller models are easier to conceal and some have even been customized with flashy, feminine detailing.

I know, I know... wishful thinking!

David
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I like the Ruger MKII, PPK/S, S&W 60 and the Freedom Arms .22... The other ones need to be chucked off a bridge. OOOORRRR! They'd make fabulous compliments to any metro-sexual bug-out purse.

<lisp>ACCESSORIZE!</lisp>

Mitchell, Esq.
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
That Hello Kitty Sig is so MINE.

Anyone want a kidney? I need to raise cash!

F-Trooper05
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
That Hello Kitty Sig is so MINE.

Anyone want a kidney? I need to raise cash!

That's Todd's design. Why do you think SIG fired him?

Wheeler
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Notice how expensive all but three of them are? I'm sure that was aimed to scare off the blue collar segment of the population. "$4000 for a purse gun?!?! I don't think so!"