PDA

View Full Version : iPhone/iTouch Dryfire App

NETim
08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dry-fire-trainer/id353857941?mt=8

I kinda like this. You can customize a drill in almost anyway you like. Visual only, audio only or both. Random or instant "go!" Range commands or not. As many reps as you like in each regimen.

Another great basement dryfire toy!

Failure2Stop
08-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Who made it?
Was it born out of the discussion we had here about the concept?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

NETim
08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Who made it?
Was it born out of the discussion we had here about the concept?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Dunno anything about its origins. I was just searching the iTunes store the other day for shot timers and I found that app. Even though it's not a shot timer, I'm finding it's useful for dry fire practice.

Dave J
08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
That app predates any of the discussions here. I stumbled across it sometime in late 2010, IIRC.

I've used it quite a bit while deployed, often in conjunction with one of those Laserlyte barrel inserts. I'd set the app to flash the larger white target for the appropriate par time based on the start position (holster or ready), and use the iPod screen as the target for the laser. Comes in handy when you're stuck somewhere for awhile where there's no range available.

NETim
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
That app predates any of the discussions here. I stumbled across it sometime in late 2010, IIRC.

I've used it quite a bit while deployed, often in conjunction with one of those Laserlyte barrel inserts. I'd set the app to flash the larger white target for the appropriate par time based on the start position (holster or ready), and use the iPod screen as the target for the laser. Comes in handy when you're stuck somewhere for awhile where there's no range available.

That's how I've been using it. I also use it in conjunction w/the LaserLyte target and the LL chamber insert. If I set up the app to beep with the appearance of a target (which then remains up for some predetermined time), I then set up the app to put up another target (and beep when the first target goes down) a 1/10 later as a par timer of sorts.

I put the iTouch in a JBL speaker rig to get a little more sound out of it too.

And yes, it's nothing new. I just found it is all.

Carrington
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM

This sounds like a cool app, I have been looking for an app like this that actually works well. I have tried some other ones but they were not very responsive, and were almost unusable. How is this one? Does it work well? Is it worth buying? Or are there other apps out there that will work better? Any info would be great (I would like to find one that will work on iPad, as I prefer a larger screen). Thanks.

Dave J
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
This sounds like a cool app, I have been looking for an app like this that actually works well. I have tried some other ones but they were not very responsive, and were almost unusable. How is this one? Does it work well? Is it worth buying? Or are there other apps out there that will work better? Any info would be great (I would like to find one that will work on iPad, as I prefer a larger screen). Thanks.

It sounds like you might be thinking the dryfire app is a shot timer of some sort. It's not.

Basically, all it does is flash the screen and/or beep in a predetermined time sequence.

Let's say I want to work on my draw speed. I set my desired par time with a random start delay, interval, and number of reps. Start the app, it beeps and/or the screen displays some sort of shape (e.g. a white square). At the end of the par time, it beeps again, and the shape disappears. Think of it kind of like a turning target. Either you made the par or you didn't.

No idea if it'll work on an iPad, but there'd be no benefit to using it with a larger screen.

IIRC, Todd G. and other SMEs here have repeatedly emphasized the benefits to doing your dry reps slow enough that you get the technique down perfectly, rather than rushing to ingrain bad habits. I did find the IDFT app useful for improving my speed on certain drills, but only AFTER I had done a bunch of slow reps, and even then I think it'd be wise to limit timed dryfire to a minor portion of your overall practice.

NETim
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
It sounds like you might be thinking the dryfire app is a shot timer of some sort. It's not.

Basically, all it does is flash the screen and/or beep in a predetermined time sequence.

Let's say I want to work on my draw speed. I set my desired par time with a random start delay, interval, and number of reps. Start the app, it beeps and/or the screen displays some sort of shape (e.g. a white square). At the end of the par time, it beeps again, and the shape disappears. Think of it kind of like a turning target. Either you made the par or you didn't.

No idea if it'll work on an iPad, but there'd be no benefit to using it with a larger screen.

IIRC, Todd G. and other SMEs here have repeatedly emphasized the benefits to doing your dry reps slow enough that you get the technique down perfectly, rather than rushing to ingrain bad habits. I did find the IDFT app useful for improving my speed on certain drills, but only AFTER I had done a bunch of slow reps, and even then I think it'd be wise to limit timed dryfire to a minor portion of your overall practice.

Yep.