PDA

View Full Version : A Project for the HK P30 Admirers

DEG
12-29-2021, 09:24 AM
I purchased a P30 V1 from a forum member several months ago. The pistol was already worked on by Mark Housel of L&M Precision to accept RMR footprint optics. Mark and I exchanged a few emails about the pistol. He has since retired, but even dealing with that and fulfilling last orders he was gracious with his time and patient with questions.

When I purchase a used hammer-fired HK, I like to replace most or all of the springs. Because of the slide modifications on this one, access to the firing pin, safety, and extractor assemblies are only possible when the optic is removed.

Most of the parts I replaced were standard, but I did use the light firing pin safety spring that I install on all of my P30s, following the great TLG’s setup. It’s handy to have these as a reference.

Firing pin spring (part # 215822)
Light compression spring for drop safety catch (part # 209296)
Extractor spring with extractor bolt (part #s 218315 + 209294)

Depending on the shooting volume, it seems like good practice to replace these springs yearly and clean everything again when the RMR is removed for a battery change. I’ve broken a firing pin spring in the past, but didn’t notice until I stripped the slide.

I re-installed everything using the same roll pins that Mark installed. They are shorter than the factory pins (the originals are part # 988891) due to the optic plate. I don’t have extras on hand yet but I expect they will be easy enough to find.

The optic plate that Mark fabricated is steel and held in place with four screws. Two of these screws go fully into the side of the slide, and two of the screws extend through the slide into an aluminum plate fitted underneath in the recessed area (top of picture shows optic plate screws and extractor roll pin near the center of the plate).

My impression of the plate is very “HK-like” in that it’s durable, nicely overbuilt, and professionally finished. I am not an expert in this area, but it’s clear Mark is a craftsman who does great work.

The rear sight is a glock dovetail, and a typical Ameriglo or other rear sight will fit. I installed short slide release levers on both sides.

The front sight is a P30 sight from Dawson Precision. It’s a tall one to match the tall rear Glock sight. Both are taller than I prefer, but they work well.

I detail stripped the frame, cleaned it, and replaced most of the springs. Even after several years I need to have detailed instructions for this (HKPRO TooSixy’s reference is incredible) and ideally another P30 to look at if I get confused about how it all goes back together.

Heavy trigger return spring (part # 234405)
Elbow spring for LEM (part # 209275)
Trigger bar detent spring (part # 209270)
Hammer spring for V3 (part # 214300)

I left the flat sear spring, form spring for slide release, and the magazine catch compression springs alone. The flat sear spring is particularly tricky to replace.

The only non-factory parts I installed were the Gray Guns short reset system, which includes a new control latch, extended sear roll pin and firing pin block spring. I already installed the light firing pin block spring, but fitted the others with no issue. I don’t really notice a difference between this setup and regular LEM when shooting, but the parts seem well made and I’m happy they are available.

I used an aftermarket Trijicon sealing plate under the RMR since the optic would be in contact with the roll pins. It may not make a difference, but it doesn’t hurt anything. The screws for the plate were sealed with paint marker and witness marks.

I installed the RMR using screws that were included from Mark (6-40 x 1/2 flat head socket screws). I used a generous amount of blue loctite and a 10 inch lb fixit stick.

Final step to paint seal the screws with black sharpie with witness marks.

It would be pretty cool if HK released an optics ready slide for the P30/L/SK, but that seems unlikely. I understand that Wright Armory is doing this work along with a few other places. If anyone has experience with those, please add on to the thread!

Oldherkpilot
12-29-2021, 02:59 PM
Beautiful pistol! I have a P30 at Wright's awaiting work. When I finally get it back, I'll post some pics. Thanks for starting this thread.

DEG
12-29-2021, 05:18 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours when it gets finished.

Default.mp3
12-29-2021, 05:55 PM
I used an aftermarket Trijicon sealing plate under the RMR since the optic would be in contact with the roll pins. It may not make a difference, but it doesn’t hurt anything. You should absolutely use a sealing plate, as lube can seep up from the roll pins and into the RMR's battery compartment.

DEG
12-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Additional comparison shots from the range this morning.

Left slide showing the aluminum plate insert compared to a standard P30 9mm slide. I’ve read that the 40SW slide may not have the same internal profile, and therefore could be easier to mill without needing this type of insert. I don’t have one to compare.

(Correcting a mistake in the original post - all drilled and tapped holes in the insert are for the steel mounting plate and RMR screws, not the extractor roll pin. That’s on the other side.)

Height comparison and general profile of a VP9 optics ready slide with a Holosun 507c compared to the P30 + RMR. I like the height and shape of the XS sights that come factory installed on the VP9 OR slide.

TCinVA
12-30-2021, 01:15 PM
I still prefer the P30 to about anything else on the market. I wish they made it in an optics-ready format.

I've been reluctant to have my guns cut on because of their sentimental value.

SecondHandSmoke
12-30-2021, 02:40 PM
A LEM P30 with a Red Dot... Now that's something I hadn't thought about. I found the LEM to be one of my favorite triggers anywhere 25 + yards. Mixing that with a red dot could yield something special.

DEG
12-30-2021, 03:16 PM
I agree - accuracy shooting is fun with the P30 and a red dot. At the end of the range visit this morning, these were the first ten rounds at 25 yards (Lawman 115). I promise, no cherry picking with this target. A 100 score is unusual for me under the best circumstances.

Just to see if I could do it again, this was the second set of 10 rounds on the same target and distance. Close enough to the same.

Maybe even better than the HK factory, it would be pretty cool if someone as skilled as Ernest Langdon got into the P30s. I could imagine nicely milled standard/long/sk versions with LEM 4.1 or “tuned” (I don’t know what that would mean) V3 with 10 lb hammer springs, Gray Guns short reset components and some other magic instilled from someone who knew what they were doing.

GJM
12-30-2021, 04:04 PM
Sig now offers optics ready slides for the 226 and 229. I respect the craftsmanship of this, but for the P30 to be a viable optics platform, HK needs to offer a factory slide that is optics ready. I bet a bunch of people would buy them, along with USP optics slides.

HCM
12-30-2021, 04:18 PM
I agree - accuracy shooting is fun with the P30 and a red dot. At the end of the range visit this morning, these were the first ten rounds at 25 yards (Lawman 115). I promise, no cherry picking with this target. A 100 score is unusual for me under the best circumstances.

Just to see if I could do it again, this was the second set of 10 rounds on the same target and distance. Close enough to the same.

Maybe even better than the HK factory, it would be pretty cool if someone as skilled as Ernest Langdon got into the P30s. I could imagine nicely milled standard/long/sk versions with LEM 4.1 or “tuned” (I don’t know what that would mean) V3 with 10 lb hammer springs, Gray Guns short reset components and some other magic instilled from someone who knew what they were doing.

EL did some work with P30s a few years back in conjunction with the USBP BORTAC teams adopting P30L LEM pistols in lieu of the standard P2000. There is an EL thread on the P30 here on PF:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8821-Why-the-P30

Archer1440
12-30-2021, 04:28 PM
The best P30 optics setups I have seen have the backing plates TIG welded into the left-side slide cavities and then drilled and tapped- is that plate held in place solely by screw tension? Does it hold a proper zero?

hufnagel
12-30-2021, 04:37 PM
Sig now offers optics ready slides for the 226 and 229. I respect the craftsmanship of this, but for the P30 to be a viable optics platform, HK needs to offer a factory slide that is optics ready. I bet a bunch of people would buy them, along with USP optics slides.

I still look at dots on pistols with a Get Off My Lawn attitude, but if H&K issued P30 and P30L optic ready sides, I'd buy 2 and 1 respectively, just because I *might* change my tune (get old?) at some point.

JonInWA
12-30-2021, 04:48 PM
DEG, superb write-up; thanks for the detailed descriptions. Great project.

Best, Jon

DEG
12-30-2021, 05:22 PM
The best P30 optics setups I have seen have the backing plates TIG welded into the left-side slide cavities and then drilled and tapped- is that plate held in place solely by screw tension? Does it hold a proper zero?

It’s my understanding that Mark / L&M Precision did his work as you described with the TIG welding. I think the plate is there for additional purchase for the screws rather than anything more structural, but I’m out of my lane on this one.

Edited to add: There are one or two others on the forum with P30s that L&M worked on (@Default.mp3) and I believe they have a lot more experience with the setup. I’ll report back on how well mine holds zero with the RMR. I adjusted it yesterday and plan on keeping track of the rounds.

GJM
12-30-2021, 07:04 PM
The P30 is the pistol that I most closely associate with the early days of Pistol Forum. Back then, compared to a Glock, it was more accurate, more reliable and with a hammer, very appendix friendly. Flash forward to today, and a lot has changed.

DEG
12-30-2021, 08:07 PM
Very cool to have so many great options. Yes, I think it was finding out about TLG’s P30 tests that initially led me to the site. There is still a lot of gold in past threads to dig up for those who love to read. I’m definitely getting nostalgic now - it’s gotta be the time of year!

willie
12-30-2021, 08:17 PM
Some of these older threads should be indexed so that we and others can access them. I say should be. Let me say that it would be nice if cluster man would do this.😁 My opinion is that organizing and indexing them would add to the site's excellent status. I would do it, but I got a pea brain that's fuzzy.

Default.mp3
12-30-2021, 09:24 PM
There are one or two others on the forum with P30s that L&M worked on (@Default.mp3) and I believe they have a lot more experience with the setup. I’ll report back on how well mine holds zero with the RMR. I've lost zero twice, on the same gun, at 9568 and 18880, due to the rear right screw head snapping off both times (currently at 21961). My other gun has held up with no loss of zero for 7534 rounds.

Risto
12-30-2021, 10:33 PM
Very cool to have so many great options. Yes, I think it was finding out about TLG’s P30 tests that initially led me to the site. There is still a lot of gold in past threads to dig up for those who love to read. I’m definitely getting nostalgic now - it’s gotta be the time of year!

I would love to read his stuff on the P30. Searching from my phone isn’t turning up much; I’ll try it from a computer later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
12-30-2021, 10:56 PM
I would love to read his stuff on the P30. Searching from my phone isn’t turning up much; I’ll try it from a computer later.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/1984

Archer1440
12-31-2021, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately, most of the links from the archives appear broken. I hope those can be restored, because there is a lot of gold in there.

Dr_Nimslow
12-31-2021, 01:25 PM
I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak on getting my P30 machined for an RMR shortly after Mark announced his retirement.

The next best option was Ashbury Precision Ordnance. Their work isn't quite as refined as Mark's, but it seems to work fine, so far.

I also sent my HK 45 in at the same time. The 45 was a hard call for me, it's a very low 200 SN, one of the very first German made guns in the country. But I've owned it since new, and it wont be going anywhere, I figured why not.

The P30 is set up with a 4.1 LEM and a Gray Guns short reset kit. It's still one of my favorite 9mm pistols.

https://i.imgur.com/EMTXtZk.jpg

Ashbury's plate is attached to the slide by the two screws on one side only (due to the cavity on the other side inside the slide). The cut for the RMR is tight, rather than using locating pins, and the FPB block spring is now retained by the bottom of the RMR. Probably not a perfectly ideal setup, but it has held up so far to my limited use of the pistol during covid.

https://i.imgur.com/4SAIeQ1.jpg

Evil_Ed
12-31-2021, 02:04 PM
I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak on getting my P30 machined for an RMR shortly after Mark announced his retirement.

The next best option was Ashbury Precision Ordnance. Their work isn't quite as refined as Mark's, but it seems to work fine, so far.

I also sent my HK 45 in at the same time. The 45 was a hard call for me, it's a very low 200 SN, one of the very first German made guns in the country. But I've owned it since new, and it wont be going anywhere, I figured why not.

The P30 is set up with a 4.1 LEM and a Gray Guns short reset kit. It's still one of my favorite 9mm pistols.

https://i.imgur.com/EMTXtZk.jpg

Ashbury's plate is attached to the slide by the two screws on one side only (due to the cavity on the other side inside the slide). The cut for the RMR is tight, rather than using locating pins, and the FPB block spring is now retained by the bottom of the RMR. Probably not a perfectly ideal setup, but it has held up so far to my limited use of the pistol during covid.

https://i.imgur.com/4SAIeQ1.jpg

I was procrastinating sending my P30/P30L out for whittling and sadly didn't get anything out before Mark announced his retirement...I've been looking at APO's setup but never could really find many details on how it differed. Thank you for the info. Given how H&K mills these slides...it's probably not the %100 perfect solution but it's a good %95 one, and there's diminishing returns at some point. Since I don't imagine I'll be Spetznaz upside down axe throwing while rappeling off a cliff using my optic as a rope cinching point, I think I'd be ok with how that setup works..

john c
12-31-2021, 07:20 PM
The P30 is the pistol that I most closely associate with the early days of Pistol Forum. Back then, compared to a Glock, it was more accurate, more reliable and with a hammer, very appendix friendly. Flash forward to today, and a lot has changed.

What has changed with respect to the P30? Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?

YVK
12-31-2021, 10:31 PM
Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?

HK has not updated a plastic mold to give the USPs a normal rail. 25 (?) years and going.

I still think they are the best polymer hammer guns in their size categories, if one gives their triggers a massage and sometimes even without that. They just don't have it, it most likely being production capacity, or maybe a will too, to stay in step with market changes.

DEG
01-01-2022, 09:57 AM
I referenced this in the original post but didn’t include a link. Here is the HKPRO thread from member TooSixy with the most detailed instructions for P30 maintenance. High quality contribution and great work from him. An essential guide, and available as PDFs through the link.

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/how-to-detail-strip-a-p30-p30s-p30l-p30ls.196694/

GJM
01-01-2022, 10:27 AM
What has changed with respect to the P30? Is it just HK not updating it with optics, or have other options surpassed it?

At the heyday of the P30, the Glock 19, for example, didn't have a very usable stock trigger, was not particularly accurate, didn't have factory optics capability, and sprayed brass everywhere. Now a G5 19 trigger is usable out of the box, has excellent accuracy, throws brass into the next county, and has lots of optic support.

DEG
01-02-2022, 01:05 PM
At the heyday of the P30, the Glock 19, for example, didn't have a very usable stock trigger, was not particularly accurate, didn't have factory optics capability, and sprayed brass everywhere. Now a G5 19 trigger is usable out of the box, has excellent accuracy, throws brass into the next county, and has lots of optic support.

Definitely - the G5’s and new models brought some solid improvements. Lots to enjoy. I am excited that LTT also has offerings in the area. I would like to try one of his 19s and see what he does with the trigger guard.

Since we may not see a “P4000” anytime in the future, the modded P30s can provide us with some old school cool. With that in mind - and the thread needs more pics - here’s another from the range a few days ago before it was below freezing.

LOKNLOD
01-02-2022, 09:07 PM

GJM is right, and the other thing is that the VP9 has completely supplanted the P30 as HK's favorite child. It's easier for volks to shoot and presumably cheaper to manufacture and easier to sell for a profit at a Glock/Sig/M&P competitive price point.

HCM
01-02-2022, 09:12 PM
Has anyone here used Ashbury precision ordinance for an optics cut on an HK pistol ?

GJM
01-02-2022, 09:23 PM
GJM is right, and the other thing is that the VP9 has completely supplanted the P30 as HK's favorite child. It's easier for volks to shoot and presumably cheaper to manufacture and easier to sell for a profit at a Glock/Sig/M&P competitive price point.

I love the VP9, and before the OR models came out, I had a half dozen direct milled. I was shooting it in CO, back during the days I broke a DP Pro every other week. Darryl has my VP9 milled for an Acro, and my SK milled for a Shield RMS.

Dr_Nimslow
01-02-2022, 09:40 PM
Has anyone here used Ashbury precision ordinance for an optics cut on an HK pistol ?

See my post #22 above. They did my P30 and HK45.

HCM
01-02-2022, 10:22 PM
See my post #22 above. They did my P30 and HK45.

Thanks. I just saw an HK45C tactical they cut for RMR and it looked like a good set up.

RevolverRob
01-03-2022, 01:17 PM
In my dream world HK releases: A VP9 with a thumb safety, the slightly shorter grip frame of the HK45C, and an optics ready cut that doesn't use a plate and buries an optic deep, threaded o-ring barre would be great too.

JDB
01-03-2022, 01:59 PM
In my dream world HK releases: A VP9 with a thumb safety, the slightly shorter grip frame of the HK45C, and an optics ready cut that doesn't use a plate and buries an optic deep, threaded o-ring barre would be great too.

Add an optics ready P30, with G19 length grip. Do like S&W and offer the P30 in a range of sizes, from P2000 on up.

JDB
01-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Add an optics ready P30, with G19 length grip. Do like S&W and offer the P30 in a range of sizes, from P2000 on up.

If only HK would take the HK45c and make it in 9mm, and optics ready. I love the P30, but much prefer the shorter reset trigger and size of the HK45c. It's shocking to me how much better it carries AIWB for me, being of short stature.

Best that I don't try a P2000, I don't want to like it!

Also, for the love of god, HK should make a 10mm. They would corner the market on a 10mm that actually worked with real 10mm loads.

Evil_Ed
01-03-2022, 04:31 PM
If only HK would take the HK45c and make it in 9mm, and optics ready. I love the P30, but much prefer the shorter reset trigger and size of the HK45c. It's shocking to me how much better it carries AIWB for me, being of short stature.

Best that I don't try a P2000, I don't want to like it!

Also, for the love of god, HK should make a 10mm. They would corner the market on a 10mm that actually worked with real 10mm loads.

The weird thing with the P2000 for me, I spent probably 5k rounds on one, maybe more...but if I put it down for more than a week, it was back to square one on it. Couldn't hit shit. I don't have that issue with the P30, or any other DA/SA gun...but that one, somewhere, somehow, it had a reset button that wiped it's memory if it wasn't used in 8-9 days. I got tired of chasing my tail with it and moved it, which was painful because it was literally the perfectly sized gun in just about every respect. Decocker was in the right spot, sights were good, it felt good, when I was in practice with it it hit everything it was pointed at, etc. Somehow, if I put it down and did real life shit for a week or two, all the sudden groups would cease to be and patterns would take it's place at my next practice session. Forget hitting a 3x5 card at 30 feet; you're back to hitting a paper plate, maybe. 150-200 rounds later you're back to where you started, but that's expensive these days...and heaven forbid I actually needed to use it. I just didn't have the confidence for that after about a year of trying to make it work for me.

No, dry fire practice didn't really stave off that reset either...tried that to. I genuinely don't know what it was with that gun but if I wasn't constantly actually shooting it, it just stopped working for me. Maybe it really needed that XL backstrap that looked like a blob of industrial waste dripped on it for me...maybe that would have helped, but oh my god was it terrible to look at and not so much better to hold. I could never bring myself to keep it on because it just looked like something out of a Toxic Avenger movie. Which is a poor way to judge a gun, I get it, but still..

JonInWA
01-03-2022, 05:04 PM
The weird thing with the P2000 for me, I spent probably 5k rounds on one, maybe more...but if I put it down for more than a week, it was back to square one on it. Couldn't hit shit. I don't have that issue with the P30, or any other DA/SA gun...but that one, somewhere, somehow, it had a reset button that wiped it's memory if it wasn't used in 8-9 days. I got tired of chasing my tail with it and moved it, which was painful because it was literally the perfectly sized gun in just about every respect. Decocker was in the right spot, sights were good, it felt good, when I was in practice with it it hit everything it was pointed at, etc. Somehow, if I put it down and did real life shit for a week or two, all the sudden groups would cease to be and patterns would take it's place at my next practice session. Forget hitting a 3x5 card at 30 feet; you're back to hitting a paper plate, maybe. 150-200 rounds later you're back to where you started, but that's expensive these days...and heaven forbid I actually needed to use it. I just didn't have the confidence for that after about a year of trying to make it work for me.

No, dry fire practice didn't really stave off that reset either...tried that to. I genuinely don't know what it was with that gun but if I wasn't constantly actually shooting it, it just stopped working for me. Maybe it really needed that XL backstrap that looked like a blob of industrial waste dripped on it for me...maybe that would have helped, but oh my god was it terrible to look at and not so much better to hold. I could never bring myself to keep it on because it just looked like something out of a Toxic Avenger movie. Which is a poor way to judge a gun, I get it, but still..

Sometimes, no matter how good it looks, feels, and spec's out on paper, it just dosen't index to you. Ergos can be wonky per individual. You can either make something your "one and only" and adjust over time. building up the requisite muscle memory, physically reconfigure the gun itself as necessary (HK's backstraps and sideplates are nice...) or via gunsmithing, or move on to something more natural and requiring less effort.

It's one thing if you're issued a gun and don't have a choice, another thing entirely when you do have a choice. Sometimes there really are compelling reasons dictating a particular platform; other times it's just better to move on.

Best, Jon

JDB
01-03-2022, 05:07 PM
Has any of the old P30 users here here seriously run a P30 through it's paces with a short reset and flat trigger?
GJM? Anybody?

I'm really curious how much that would close the performance gap with other DA/SA guns. Would love to see how it stacks up against a CZ P-07 or PX4, etc. Seems there's plenty of folks here that ran a P30 hard years ago, and moved on to greener pastures before the short reset/flat trigger (which is supposed to limit overtravel) became an option.

Thanks

CCT125US
01-03-2022, 08:36 PM
Has any of the old P30 users here here seriously run a P30 through it's paces with a short reset and flat trigger?
GJM? Anybody?

I'm really curious how much that would close the performance gap with other DA/SA guns. Would love to see how it stacks up against a CZ P-07 or PX4, etc. Seems there's plenty of folks here that ran a P30 hard years ago, and moved on to greener pastures before the short reset/flat trigger (which is supposed to limit overtravel) became an option.

Thanks

I have a bit of history with the P30. For me, and despite what the internet says, the limiting factor was not the trigger. Despite the ergos, the multiple grip combos, the way it fits the hand like a glove, the gun squirms in recoil. Now depending on grip technique, pressure applied here or there, one can minimize it, however that particular technique may itself require a bit of practice. The GGI SRT does it's job, but maximizing it with the P30 was challenging. What I found it does do well, is clean up the break point, provide a more predictable result and therefore increased accuracy. For instance, breaking between 5.5 - 6 lbs each time vs 7 - 9 lbs, it narrows that window, where you get what can appear to be pre ignition push, vs active post ignition recoil control.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Currently using a P2000sk

HCM
01-04-2022, 01:11 AM
Despite the ergos, the multiple grip combos, the way it fits the hand like a glove, the gun squirms in recoil.

I agree, same with the M&P and other round-ish "feels so good in the hand" grips. This is why I prefer pistols with flat sided grips.

Evil_Ed
01-04-2022, 07:27 AM
Sometimes, no matter how good it looks, feels, and spec's out on paper, it just dosen't index to you. Ergos can be wonky per individual. You can either make something your "one and only" and adjust over time. building up the requisite muscle memory, physically reconfigure the gun itself as necessary (HK's backstraps and sideplates are nice...) or via gunsmithing, or move on to something more natural and requiring less effort.

It's one thing if you're issued a gun and don't have a choice, another thing entirely when you do have a choice. Sometimes there really are compelling reasons dictating a particular platform; other times it's just better to move on.

Best, Jon

Yup, that was the lesson learned from that one. Every time I see one in a display case I need to remind myself that it just does not work for me, because it's perfect otherwise and I still want one. Sigh. The P30 fixes all of those issues but the grip is just that tiny bit long compared to the 2k...it works better for me though, so that's the one I use these days if I'm grabbing a DA/SA gun.

Chuck Whitlock
01-04-2022, 09:06 AM
Despite the ergos, the multiple grip combos, the way it fits the hand like a glove, the gun squirms in recoil.

I agree, same with the M&P and other round-ish "feels so good in the hand" grips. This is why I prefer pistols with flat sided grips.

During our last qualification, my chief deputy mentioned to me that it looked like I was "fighting" my Hi-Power, even though I was getting my hits.
I later switched to a 9mm 1911, and it "seemed" more effortless. I need to lay in some more ammo and explore this head-to-head.

Borderland
01-04-2022, 10:33 AM

I'd buy one for my P-30 SK. I'm not crazy about the idea of someone cutting my slide. With an RDS slide and the original slide the value of the pistol would be enhanced. I'm not so sure about a pistol with an aftermarket cut slide. There's always going to be someone who won't want the red dot and a simple slide change would accommodate that. A factory RDS slide would hold it's value in the used market, I'm pretty sure of that.

So HK, get off of you're ass and market one.

rdtompki
01-04-2022, 10:51 AM
I wish I hadn't perused this thread. Switched my handgun life to all-1911 some months back (competition and carry). My beloved P2000 LEM in 9mm with Lazy Wolf Guns carry trigger has left the house. That was the perfect gun IMO for someone starting to EDC; nothing says safe like having thumb on hammer when reholstering and Rick's trigger jobs make for a great shooting experience.

Borderland
01-04-2022, 07:15 PM
I wish I hadn't perused this thread. Switched my handgun life to all-1911 some months back (competition and carry). My beloved P2000 LEM in 9mm with Lazy Wolf Guns carry trigger has left the house. That was the perfect gun IMO for someone starting to EDC; nothing says safe like having thumb on hammer when reholstering and Rick's trigger jobs make for a great shooting experience.

Never sell an HK. Sooner or later somebody will want it for the cool factor......regardless of the price. It's German engineering and marketing.

Default.mp3
01-06-2022, 06:54 PM
Looks like Wright Armory has come out with a new plate system called i-Dot specific to P30/P2000/HK45. No love for the USP, I guess. I will get this done to my third P30LS as soon it comes back from Lazy Wolf Guns.

https://www.instagram.com/wrightarmory/p/CYaA_TyPp5X/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Borderland
01-06-2022, 07:55 PM
Looks like Wright Armory has come out with a new plate system called i-Dot specific to P30/P2000/HK45. No love for the USP, I guess. I will get this done to my third P30LS as soon it comes back from Lazy Wolf Guns.

USP will be a classic. It took awhile for the P7 to reach that status but it happened. I remember my LGS had one for sale for $1200 about 10 years ago. It was such an odd duck that people would just shake their head when they examined it. It set in the case for months before someone purchased it.

I need a dot for my HK45. I'll check it out.

HCM
01-06-2022, 10:31 PM

fter almost 9 months of R&D and testing we are excited to release the Wright Armory i-DOT System (Interchangeable Dot System). ⁣

This was specifically designed for HK hammer fired pistols i.e.: the P30, P2000, and HK45 pistol lineups. The i-DOT System not only allows for a consistent mounting solution for full-size Red Dots on these pistols but it also allows for interchangeability of optics. ⁣

Once your pistol has been machined for the Wright Armory i-DOT System swapping from a Trijicon RMR to an Aimpoint ACRO or even a micro dot like the Holosun 507k is a breeze! It’s as simple as undoing 4 screws.⁣

The i-DOT Conversion includes:⁣

- Machining your slide for the i-DOT System ⁣

- The proper i-DOT plate for your respective optic footprint: Trijicon RMR, Aimpoint ACRO, Holosun 509T, or Holosun 507k⁣

- Blackout backup irons with a lower 1/3 cowitness⁣

- Black Cerakote on the slide after machining⁣

- All necessary screws / mounting hardware and installation⁣

With a price tag of $450 for the complete package the i-DOT System provides more options, for more optics, at a better price. Period.⁣

All orders received by the end of business Friday Jan 21st will receive the intro price of $399.99. ⁣

Give your HK the love it deserves. Your future self will thank you.⁣

Hstanton1
01-06-2022, 10:36 PM

This, but the TS is more along the lines of a 1911/M&P safety than an HK safety.

RevolverRob
01-06-2022, 10:46 PM
This, but the TS is more along the lines of a 1911/M&P safety than an HK safety.

I just want the one they already make and sell in Europe.

Default.mp3
01-06-2022, 11:01 PM

82476Are you sure they actually make and sell that? I've never heard of it actually being in the wild, and have only seen stock pictures of it. My assumption is that while a SKU exists, H&K likely doesn't actually actively sell it, and instead just has it available in case an agency wants something with a manual safety.

RevolverRob
01-06-2022, 11:52 PM
Are you sure they actually make and sell that? I've never heard of it actually being in the wild, and have only seen stock pictures of it. My assumption is that while a SKU exists, H&K likely doesn't actually actively sell it, and instead just has it available in case an agency wants something with a manual safety.

I guess I do have to apologize to our European brethren. Because when I think "sell firearms in Europe" - I strictly think about LE/MIL sales.

No idea if that variant has ever made it out into the wild.

shane45
01-07-2022, 01:20 AM
I want more of a USP safety than a P30S safety.

Hstanton1
01-07-2022, 04:46 AM

That actually looks like a pretty well thought out design, I’d totally give VP9s a shot if they’d come with that.

JDB
01-07-2022, 01:18 PM
That is really, really appealing. I just switched to shooting Glock (from the P30) to give the RDS a good go. If these work out, I can see my
going back to my HKs.

Any thoughts on the execution of this system? Or on the height of the optic?

One of the reasons I prefer the P30 is it conceals so much better for me AIWB, with narrower top of slide and rounded slide corners. Putting a 507k on a P30 might be the ticket, if it doesn't sit too high.

JDB
01-07-2022, 06:02 PM
That is really, really appealing. I just switched to shooting Glock (from the P30) to give the RDS a good go. If these work out, I can see my
going back to my HKs.

Any thoughts on the execution of this system? Or on the height of the optic?

One of the reasons I prefer the P30 is it conceals so much better for me AIWB, with narrower top of slide and rounded slide corners. Putting a 507k on a P30 might be the ticket, if it doesn't sit too high.

Oops, no context...

I was referring to the new Wright I-dot milling system for HK pistols.

DEG
01-07-2022, 06:17 PM
Oops, no context...

I was referring to the new Wright I-dot milling system for HK pistols.

It looks like the i-Dot system may be a refinement of the L&M Precision method, but it’s TBD. Regarding the optic height, this is a comparison of the P30 from the op with a 507 compared to a G19 with an RMR.

Elwin
01-07-2022, 07:26 PM
That actually looks like a pretty well thought out design, I’d totally give VP9s a shot if they’d come with that.

If I could have a VP9 with that and a G19-ish grip length (hell, just make it take USPc mags) I’d never look at a PPQ or thumb safety M&P again. And I do like the Walthers and constantly think about getting an M&P.

backtrail540
01-14-2022, 06:36 AM
Looks like lazy wolf is either doing a similar mount or using Wright armory. Good looking setup.

Edit - maybe it's an old l&m cut? No details either way.

p/CYrznqnPH3J

hufnagel
01-14-2022, 06:49 AM
Yup, that was the lesson learned from that one. Every time I see one in a display case I need to remind myself that it just does not work for me, because it's perfect otherwise and I still want one. Sigh. The P30 fixes all of those issues but the grip is just that tiny bit long compared to the 2k...it works better for me though, so that's the one I use these days if I'm grabbing a DA/SA gun.

Amazing how for one person a P30 is too long, and another a P2000 is too short; I sold my P2000 because I would frequently get mag insertion bites.
All I can say is, it's glorious we have so many choices. Truly 1st world gun problems. :D

TicTacticalTimmy
01-14-2022, 02:01 PM
The picture from Lazy Wolf is an L&M cut, you can tell because the plate holds both the rear iron and the rds, while Wright retains the rear sight dovetail

Default.mp3
01-14-2022, 02:50 PM
The picture from Lazy Wolf is an L&M cut, you can tell because the plate holds both the rear iron and the rds, while Wright retains the rear sight dovetailThe new Wright Armory i-DOT system has the rear irons on the plate, too.

That being said, the geometry of the plate itself suggests that it is L&M and not Wright Armory, based off of what the Wright Armory RMR i-DOT plate looks like and what the L&M ACRO plates I have look like.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-14-2022, 05:53 PM
The new Wright Armory i-DOT system has the rear irons on the plate, too.

That being said, the geometry of the plate itself suggests that it is L&M and not Wright Armory, based off of what the Wright Armory RMR i-DOT plate looks like and what the L&M ACRO plates I have look like.

My bad! I had them confused with Ashbury Precision which retains the rear sight dovetail

David S.
01-14-2022, 06:03 PM
My bad! I had them confused with Ashbury Precision which retains the rear sight dovetail

To be fair, I believe the original Wright cut had a slide mounted dovetail instead of a plate mounted dovetail. The i-dot that Default mentioned is brand new and just got dropped on The 'grams a few days ago. I'm not sure if there are any out in the wild yet.

Sero Sed Serio
01-16-2022, 08:04 PM
I've been on talking myself out of picking up a P2000SK for several weeks because there didn't appear to be an easy way to mount a red dot. I pulled the trigger as soon as I saw this thread. I was early in the process of jumping into the CZ P10S as my dot life gun, but I really want hammer fired instead of striker. As soon as my SK gets in it's going into Wright, with more to follow.

CCT125US
01-16-2022, 08:30 PM
Sero Sed Serio I support, and highly encourage the addition of an Sk and a dot.

Mainly I want pictures, lots of pictures.

DEG
01-16-2022, 09:20 PM
Sero Sed Serio I support, and highly encourage the addition of an Sk and a dot.

Mainly I want pictures, lots of pictures.

I’ll second that. I’m excited to see some of the Wright Armory work start showing up on the P2000/P30sk. Maybe with the updated followers they will also get flush fit 12-round mags.

Oldherkpilot
01-17-2022, 07:43 AM
I've been on talking myself out of picking up a P2000SK for several weeks because there didn't appear to be an easy way to mount a red dot. I pulled the trigger as soon as I saw this thread. I was early in the process of jumping into the CZ P10S as my dot life gun, but I really want hammer fired instead of striker. As soon as my SK gets in it's going into Wright, with more to follow.

Better buy two pistols if one is going out to Wright's. My P30 has been there for three months and the "Repair Update" has not been touched. I'm getting to the point where I figure the damn gun shoot itself for all the time and money I've got in this project. If I get reincarnated, I hope I come back as a guy who loves Glocks!😁

backtrail540
01-17-2022, 06:39 PM
p/CY2Wu1Fr8JL

Another company doing hk dot work. I don't know anything about them but happened by them while browsing ig and wanted to share.

dcf1981
01-17-2022, 07:00 PM
p/CY2Wu1Fr8JL

Another company doing hk dot work. I don't know anything about them but happened by them while browsing ig and wanted to share.

I believe that Impact Machine is run by Scott Milam, the son of the owner of Cajun Gunworks David Milam. He works closely with Brandon Bunker, one of the best 1911 gunsmiths around. I noticed his work a while back when I saw that he was doing Holosun 509T cuts on CZ P07/P09’s. I haven’t sent him anything yet, but it’s promising to have another skilled machinist doing optic cuts vs a lot of the fly by night shops around. On another note, I’d love to see what Wright’s i-DOT plates look like to see if they have recoil lug/indexing pins and if they hold close tolerances. I was going to send a P30L to L&M but never got to it before Mark retired.

Sig_Fiend
01-17-2022, 11:24 PM
I already have a USP9C slide with him... He has some VERY cool stuff going on. Direct mill 509T apparently (not sure if it's ready for prime time yet or not), sights forward or back. Looking at whether the ACRO is feasible or not. :D Nice dude, very responsive, and not afraid of any challenge.

Word to the wise for the other businesses out there. You never know who your customers are, so give everyone the time of day unless they give you reason not to. It's a common damn problem in this industry full of curmudgeons. I contacted quite a few other machinists since earlier this year, looking for someone to even attempt this. I understand why many wouldn't want to, and how it could interfere with their other business. I was (and am) willing to drop thousands like it's nothing, because when I want something I'm serious. Couldn't even get the time of day from most of them more than a sentence or two max email. This dude Scott was the only one that gave me the time of day, and he didn't know me from Adam. I don't care where this journey goes, he's earned my business!

Once we get a config figured out, I'm planning on sending 2x P2K's, a P30, an HK45, and maybe also a spare VP9 slide. Just my opinion but, for the HK enthusiasts out there, I feel like it's a good idea to nurture anyone willing to offer custom work/parts for these platforms since most won't bother.

(Not mine, pics of someone else' from him)

JDB
01-18-2022, 12:43 PM
I sent my P30 in to Wright Armory to get the I-dot treatment. They estimated it would take 6-8 weeks.

I'll be slumming with a G19x with optic until then. The optic thing has been a long time coming, can't wait to try it on the P30.

Sig_Fiend
01-18-2022, 02:59 PM
Quick update on Impact Machine. If you're on the fence, feel free to use me as your guinea pig. First order was placed. A USP9C with ACRO cut to the rear w/ Glock dovetail in front, and whole slide DLC coated. After that, in a couple weeks, next up will be a P30, P2K, HK45, and probably a VP9. I don't want to take over this thread though, and I'll make a separate one in a few weeks once the first one gets here. Sorry DEG if this was a distraction!

Oldherkpilot
01-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Just got off the phone with Wright Armory. The fellow checked on my slide and explained that they have stopped welding on the HKs due to heat treatment/slides cracking. They are only doing I Dots going forward. They sent out emails explaining this but I didn't get it or didn't see it. I imagine they were waiting for me to authorize a change in my order as I had requested the rear sight in front of the optic. He said it will likely be another month before its done. Guess I should have called sooner but its not like I don't have any pistols to shoot. I'm pretty happy with this customer service experience.

Default.mp3
01-18-2022, 05:14 PM
Quick update on Impact Machine. If you're on the fence, feel free to use me as your guinea pig. First order was placed. A USP9C with ACRO cut to the rear w/ Glock dovetail in front, and whole slide DLC coated. After that, in a couple weeks, next up will be a P30, P2K, HK45, and probably a VP9. I don't want to take over this thread though, and I'll make a separate one in a few weeks once the first one gets here. Sorry @DEG (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=5028) if this was a distraction!Yeah bro, this is a thread for P30s, not your antiquated USP Compacts. Come back when you've realized the superiority of the Spider-Man grips.

DEG
01-18-2022, 07:07 PM
Quick update on Impact Machine. If you're on the fence, feel free to use me as your guinea pig. First order was placed. A USP9C with ACRO cut to the rear w/ Glock dovetail in front, and whole slide DLC coated. After that, in a couple weeks, next up will be a P30, P2K, HK45, and probably a VP9. I don't want to take over this thread though, and I'll make a separate one in a few weeks once the first one gets here. Sorry DEG if this was a distraction!

No distraction here - sounds like you have some great plans in motion and looking forward to seeing the results!

DEG
01-19-2022, 08:36 AM
I sent my P30 in to Wright Armory to get the I-dot treatment. They estimated it would take 6-8 weeks.

I'll be slumming with a G19x with optic until then. The optic thing has been a long time coming, can't wait to try it on the P30.

I really like the G19x and G45. I know this is a tangent, but am curious who did the 19x slide work for you and how you like it.

JDB
01-19-2022, 09:14 AM
I really like the G19x and G45. I know this is a tangent, but am curious who did the 19x slide work for you and how you like it.

Maple Leaf. I don't have anything to compare it with, but it was quick, the optic fits snug, looks clean and works well. Thumbs up.

dontshakepandas
01-31-2022, 08:37 PM
I sent two slides to Wright Armory today to get cut for 509Ts. The wait begins.

backtrail540
02-01-2022, 07:41 AM
I'm in a good mood and love this project so I'm sharing Wright Armory's photo dump form their IG story for all to salivate over. You're welcome :cool:

https://i.postimg.cc/hjT50rBh/Screenshot-20220201-072304-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9RXbmyzj)

https://i.postimg.cc/GpZfYf6Z/Screenshot-20220201-072303-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xk3gV6fR)

https://i.postimg.cc/d38cLF1H/Screenshot-20220201-072305-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9wFnnvyZ)

https://i.postimg.cc/x1jVTWS5/Screenshot-20220201-072242-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/svLNTHxG)

https://i.postimg.cc/Jhgfx0HY/Screenshot-20220201-072245-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/yJmpYVP0)

https://i.postimg.cc/yxh27TQ2/Screenshot-20220201-072246-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JHnpqjWQ)

https://i.postimg.cc/MKS8gnPh/Screenshot-20220201-072247-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5jnGC2M3)

https://i.postimg.cc/XvpM9dqy/Screenshot-20220201-072249-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DWkYTWq2)

https://i.postimg.cc/NMHWzt1s/Screenshot-20220201-072250-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k6712k1z)

https://i.postimg.cc/L63MSmGh/Screenshot-20220201-072251-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N5Fn7vsw)

https://i.postimg.cc/vZPF13Ys/Screenshot-20220201-072252-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mPF6J31X)

https://i.postimg.cc/0yyhqDpH/Screenshot-20220201-072253-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/yk2LmJpF)

https://i.postimg.cc/gjbf97Dv/Screenshot-20220201-072255-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/R6GPKX2F)

https://i.postimg.cc/L6RrNrhS/Screenshot-20220201-072256-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/grSS0tvt)

https://i.postimg.cc/R038Wmp7/Screenshot-20220201-072257-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/B80Nzr0b)

https://i.postimg.cc/VsXx9Yf4/Screenshot-20220201-072258-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1457s1NN)

https://i.postimg.cc/Nf4ZVprH/Screenshot-20220201-072259-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ykDf3hj1)

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Tk37xc/Screenshot-20220201-072300-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N9N45Lr2)

https://i.postimg.cc/W1YCpz8p/Screenshot-20220201-072302-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jDNZZsBB)

David S.
02-01-2022, 09:04 AM
I look forward to seeing these in person. I was hoping they could get the cross bolt pattern (closed emitter) to sit lower than the open emitter optics.

Oldherkpilot
02-01-2022, 11:05 AM
Thanks for posting the IG pics. I am anxious to get mine back.

Sero Sed Serio
02-01-2022, 04:37 PM
Dropped my new P2000SK off at Wright for i-DOT milling/plate for a 509T. They showed me the shop P30 with an Acro plate sans optic. The plate's mounting screws had an interesting footprint: three on the right evenly spaced along the length of the plate, and one on the left towards the back (I think I have that in the correct order?). Assuming the three screws are to compensate for shorter screws to avoid breaching the void on the 9mm slide. Overall the plate looked pretty well machined, and was pretty low profile.

They told me 8-10 weeks for turnaround. I'll keep the Collective updated, and will probably be dropping off a full-size P2000 (it feels a little wrong calling a P2000 "full size") between now and then.

dontshakepandas
02-01-2022, 06:07 PM
I look forward to seeing these in person. I was hoping they could get the cross bolt pattern (closed emitter) to sit lower than the open emitter optics.

I agree. I'm thinking about changing mine from 509t to RMR instead and may just do another gun with an ACRO down the line once normal people can get their hands on the P-2.

David S.
02-01-2022, 07:10 PM
How much to the plates cost?

dontshakepandas
02-01-2022, 08:04 PM
How much to the plates cost?

The initial cut, install, and sights is $450. I’m not sure what the cost for an extra or replacement plate would be, but they did mention they plan to sell them with the rear sight installed so people don’t have to swap that on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A-Train
02-03-2022, 10:25 PM
I’m a big fan of the P30 and have quite a few of them. Thanks for the detailed post and pictures. Congrats.

Bergeron
02-04-2022, 10:44 AM
I'm super interested in seeing the Impact Machine USPs with enclosed emitters.

I'd really like to see a Steiner or an Acro, but I'd be cool with a 509T as well.

Sig_Fiend
02-04-2022, 06:05 PM
I'm super interested in seeing the Impact Machine USPs with enclosed emitters.

I'd really like to see a Steiner or an Acro, but I'd be cool with a 509T as well.

It's so close I can taste it! My USP9C, last I checked, still probably has another couple weeks before it's done. Also just picked up the parts to build a USP40 FS. Gonna have an ACRO cut done on that one as well. I'm excited for the potential renewed interest in these platforms, if only to help encourage HK to import more freakin LEM kits for once! ;)

fpnunes
02-06-2022, 12:22 PM
I'm excited for the potential renewed interest in these platforms, if only to help encourage HK to import more freakin LEM kits for once! ;)

Amen, brother. Been on the hunt for some time and still hoping to get an in-stock email.

Default.mp3
04-01-2022, 03:11 PM
Still waiting on Wright Armory to finish up all their work on my P30LS, just the Cerakoting left, before it heads back to LWG.

That being said, their CS leaves much to be desired thus far. I have another slide in with them, and it's been sitting there waiting to ship for over a week now (well, that and reassembly... even though I had shipped in a stripped slide). Their phones can be very slow, as I sat on hold for roughly two hours to be told that the shipping is backed up, and that this slide should ship out soon. I hope their machine work is better than their CS and shipping department.

Sauer Koch
04-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Still waiting on Wright Armory to finish up all their work on my P30LS, just the Cerakoting left, before it heads back to LWG.

That being said, their CS leaves much to be desired thus far. I have another slide in with them, and it's been sitting there waiting to ship for over a week now (well, that and reassembly... even though I had shipped in a stripped slide). Their phones can be very slow, as I sat on hold for roughly two hours to be told that the shipping is backed up, and that this slide should ship out soon. I hope their machine work is better than their CS and shipping department.

Yeah, my experience with them back in early '20 was not a good one, and won't go back.

Oldherkpilot
04-02-2022, 05:23 PM

I remain optimistic that the work will be good, but must agree with others here who express concerns about CS. After 5 months, They finally milled the slide on the 10th of March and did the Cerakote on the.27th. Now its awaiting sights, so I still have no idea when it might be back in my hands. I am not ordinarily a patient man but have distinguished myself in this endeavor. Wright could benefit greatly from studying Cajun Gun Works' process. I hope, after a shakedown period with the P30, that I don't end up saying, "Fuck it, I'm going with the CZ." But how else can know for sure?

Oldherkpilot
06-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Finally got my P30 slide back from Wright Armory. The work looks fantastic and I only had to give it six clicks of windage to zero it. It was at Wright's for 33 weeks, though, so their production control wins no award.

JDB
06-10-2022, 03:31 PM
Finally got my P30 slide back from Wright Armory. The work looks fantastic and I only had to give it six clicks of windage to zero it. It was at Wright's for 33 weeks, though, so their production control wins no award.

I got mine back a couple three weeks ago. I sent it in at the end of the I-dot $400 promo, whenever that was. Looks like good work, need another Holosun to try it out.
Shipping to AK killed me.

Oldherkpilot
06-10-2022, 04:39 PM
I got mine back a couple three weeks ago. I sent it in at the end of the I-dot $400 promo, whenever that was. Looks like good work, need another Holosun to try it out.
Shipping to AK killed me.

Shipping to Ohio was $63. I looked up what UPS 3 day with $800 insurance would run me and the answer was $21.88. Forgot to mention that in my post.

dontshakepandas
06-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Shipping to Ohio was $63. I looked up what UPS 3 day with $800 insurance would run me and the answer was $21.88. Forgot to mention that in my post.

Yeah they hosed me on shipping costs too. $72 for two slides to TX. There’s no reason they couldn’t put both of those in a USPS small flat rate box for $10 plus the cost of insurance.

As much as they charge for the work they really should just build shipping into that. The whole return shipping process really makes it feel like they are nickel and diming you to death.

Oldherkpilot
06-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Yeah they hosed me on shipping costs too. $72 for two slides to TX. There’s no reason they couldn’t put both of those in a USPS small flat rate box for $10 plus the cost of insurance.

As much as they charge for the work they really should just build shipping into that. The whole return shipping process really makes it feel like they are nickel and diming you to death.

I'm very grateful to have gotten your pistol with all the work done so I don't have to go through that crap again. If I wear out 2 P30s in the time I have left I'll be very surprised.

HeavyDuty
10-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Is Wright Armory the only shop doing ACRO cuts on the P30? I was really hoping to see a lower direct mill, but from what I read the FPB may prevent that.

HeavyDuty
03-12-2024, 02:11 PM
Bumping this one up since it’s on point for my situation.

Since the thread died off I picked up a used P30 LEM with a Wright Armory I-Dot cut, set up for RMR and Holosun. I managed to screw it up mounting a RMR using the wrong screws, so it went back to them for conversion to their newest plate style and a slide refinish in nitride (it was Ceracoated, which I hate.) Their turnaround on that work was quick, only a few weeks when I did it about a year ago.

I have been trying P-2 ACROs on a couple of Glocks, and am thinking I’ll move over an ACRO from the one I’m not using as much to the P30. I spoke with WA today, and all the I-Dot plates (except the DPP) use the same front sight so I can do the changeover myself. They’re getting me pricing, but it looks reasonable.

My sample of one I-Dot has been good, I’d like to sell off some stuff to pick up a second P30SK and have them dot it for everyday.

HeavyDuty
05-29-2024, 01:38 PM
I did end up switching my P30 to a ACRO plate and am quite happy with it. That left me with a spare RMR plate and a RM07 so I sold off some stuff and ordered a second P30SK to hang onto until Wright Armory did another I-Dot sale. That sale happened this past weekend.

I’m getting the slide ready to ship to AZ; I specified a EPS plate so if I ever want to change the RMR to Romeo-X Compact I can. (They won’t do the conversion without including a plate.) I installed my usual GG SRT and flat trigger plus heavy TRS, now it feels just like my daily carry SK.

This is the first 12 round SK magazine I’ve owned; I’ll stick a flat baseplate on it for carry. The second mag is a 15 instead of my current 13. Time to go mag shopping, I see.

Chewbacca10
05-29-2024, 07:45 PM
Nice project.

Sure wish HK would start offering a factory option to mount a dot.

HeavyDuty
05-29-2024, 08:18 PM
And many thanks to Sig_Fiend - I managed to reassemble the LEM naughty bits wrong and he immediately knew what it was. My last LEM reassembly work was just six months ago, yet I completely spaced the positioning of the cocking piece spring… next stop capguns, my memory is shot.

JDB
06-04-2024, 06:01 AM
Anyone tried both the Wright Armory I-Dot and the LTT?

Curious how they compare.
Thanks

breakingtime91
06-04-2024, 07:33 PM
Anyone tried both the Wright Armory I-Dot and the LTT?

Curious how they compare.
Thanks

I have. Both good systems, ltt did it in a really cool way with it wedging in. I wish he didn't cerakote the slides, I won't get one that's cerakoted again, factory hk finish is much much better imo

Corse
06-04-2024, 07:37 PM
I have. Both good systems, ltt did it in a really cool way with it wedging in. I wish he didn't cerakote the slides, I won't get one that's cerakoted again, factory hk finish is much much better imo

If they just refinished the machined area, I would be fine with it.

breakingtime91
06-04-2024, 07:43 PM
If they just refinished the machined area, I would be fine with it.

I believe heavyduty asked and ltt wouldn't just do that spot or leave it undone.

HeavyDuty
06-04-2024, 08:38 PM
I believe heavyduty asked and ltt wouldn't just do that spot or leave it undone.

Correct, that was what they told me several months ago. That they needed to do a total refinish due to tooling marks from the process, and that nitriding wasn’t an option.

Corse
06-05-2024, 08:55 AM

It’s too late anyway, I already have one. The finish I serviceable, but not ideal.

breakingtime91
06-05-2024, 09:00 AM
It’s too late anyway, I already have one. The finish I serviceable, but not ideal.

Agreed. It looks kinda neat but wears quickly

HeavyDuty
06-05-2024, 10:12 AM
I don’t mind Cerakote on LTT Berettas since it’s similar to the factory finish, but to me it’s a serious downgrade on HKs or Glocks. It’s one of two things that don’t make LTT my universal RDO provider, along with the lack of ACRO support.

JDB
06-07-2024, 08:37 AM
Side note, I spent a few hours installing the short reset and flat trigger.

Once I figured it out, the short reset isn’t too difficult.

The f@&$! trigger return spring though!

Even using the pliers, I’ve deformed one trigger spring without getting it in, and starting to bigger up the spare. It wants to either slip or get crushed.

HeavyDuty
06-07-2024, 08:56 AM
Side note, I spent a few hours installing the short reset and flat trigger.

Once I figured it out, the short reset isn’t too difficult.

The f@&$! trigger return spring though!

Even using the pliers, I’ve deformed one trigger spring without getting it in, and starting to bigger up the spare. It wants to either slip or get crushed.

I put small pieces of friction tape in the jaws of mine, it seems to help. I was painting the jaws with a little rubber cement, but too many crumbs were getting in the action.

I also use heavy TRSes which helps, they are less delicate.

Spartan1980
06-07-2024, 11:23 AM
I don’t mind Cerakote on LTT Berettas since it’s similar to the factory finish, but to me it’s a serious downgrade on HKs or Glocks. It’s one of two things that don’t make LTT my universal RDO provider, along with the lack of ACRO support.

HK uses nitro-carburization for their finish. After Langdon puts Cerakote on it, it's still under there. The Cerakote just puts another layer of protection on top of what is already there, so it's a net gain. Of course, with holster wear it's going to be less appealing as far as aesthetics, but it's not messing with the durability at all.

Sig_Fiend
06-07-2024, 12:39 PM
If it was me, to put the annoyance of Cerakote out of my mind, I'd send the slide off to another vendor and have it DLC'd for ~$100-200. It's only money, and we are talking about HK's after all. ;)

willie
06-07-2024, 12:58 PM
HeavyDuty I know a brain surgeon with three hands, and he can't work on Hk's. You must be good!;)

HeavyDuty
06-07-2024, 01:08 PM
If it was me, to put the annoyance of Cerakote out of my mind, I'd send the slide off to another vendor and have it DLC'd for ~$100-200. It's only money, and we are talking about HK's after all. ;)

My first RDO P30 was picked up used from a member here, and it was an early WA I-Dot that had a coated slide. I bunged up the optic plate and had to send the slide back to WA to have the cut updated and a new plate installed, and they did just that - a refinish to nitrided for about $120, that’s their current finish.

HeavyDuty I know a brain surgeon with three hands, and he can't work on Hk's. You must be good!;)

Nah, I’m a modelmaker and am used to working with little stuff. I’m not good, just persistent.

willie
06-07-2024, 01:26 PM
Anyway, I'm envious.

JDB
06-07-2024, 10:29 PM
Got the flat faced trigger in, and overcame the TRS without mangling it too bad.

And now the trigger doesn’t reset! Very frustrating. It appears to be a problem in all that Rube Goldberg jumble of parts by the sear/hammer at the back. Pretty sure the TRS spring is in correctly, and the elbow spring.

Any ideas? With the slide off I can make the hammer drop, but have to push the trigger back forward.

Any ideas?

HeavyDuty
06-08-2024, 07:58 AM
Ooof. That almost sounds like the TRS is rotated. Sig_Fiend, any ideas?

My reassembly error the other day was a different symptom and was related to not having the cocking piece spring rotated into proper position which affected reset.

Sig_Fiend
06-08-2024, 08:53 AM
Got the flat faced trigger in, and overcame the TRS without mangling it too bad.

And now the trigger doesn't reset! Very frustrating. It appears to be a problem in all that Rube Goldberg jumble of parts by the sear/hammer at the back. Pretty sure the TRS spring is in correctly, and the elbow spring.

Any ideas? With the slide off I can make the hammer drop, but have to push the trigger back forward.

Any ideas?

If it's not the TRS or elbow spring, it could be the trigger bar plunger (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Bar-Detent-P30-P2000/p/209269) (TBP for short) or its spring (TBPS for short) isn't seated correctly. I've had it happen a couple times before where the plunger got bound up in its hole in the frame somehow. This had the end result of the TBPS not applying pressure to the rear of the trigger bar, causing the trigger not to function correctly. It's been a few years since it last happened but, I think I remember it preventing the gun from resetting.

I don't have a pic of this but, I'll try to describe it briefly. With the backstrap off, there is a small hole in the frame, near the grip arch, at the top of where the backstrap ends. When the TBP is inserted correctly into its hole in the frame, the tail end of the TBP protrudes through this hole and is visible in the backstrap area. It fits through that hole with just a bit of resistance as the end of the plunger has a slightly raised nipple to it. Once inserted correctly in the hole, with the spring, the plunger should articulate up and down freely. Here's a pic of that part from the link above:

Whether due to excessive carbon build up or something else, a few times I've had the plunger tail fit through that hole and look like it's correctly inserted, but it was binding up. After thoroughly cleaning the hole and maybe a dab of oil just to be safe, the issue went away. If you can get a small punch in through the top of the frame, you can lightly test the TBP to see if it articulates. I forget if you'll have to pull the disconnector, latch, catch, etc. to fit a punch in there though.

breakingtime91
06-08-2024, 10:58 PM

And now the trigger doesn’t reset! Very frustrating. It appears to be a problem in all that Rube Goldberg jumble of parts by the sear/hammer at the back. Pretty sure the TRS spring is in correctly, and the elbow spring.

Any ideas?

Can you take a pic of the trs area? Can you also take a pic of where you installed the short reset parts (all the doodads by the hammer). It would be the most helpful from taking the picture with the muzzle area of the frame pointing away from you.

Is this on a p30? Trs can be very tricky but once you learn the orientation and pressure it's quick, as long as you keep the pressure and trs pushed to the left. As you push the trigger axle in the trs spring will want to slip right and it won't be in the correct position. Trs for the p30 is directional, with the one leg being longer that is.

My thought process and method:
1) place magazine pad in vice, out pistol frame on empty mag.
2) position trigger axle on the left side of frame (muzzle facing away)
3) place trs in trs pliers, place the pliers toward the right side of trs, being able to visibly see the left trs leg is beneficial.
4) position the pliers so you will be placing the trs straight down into the frame.
5) Position the legs of the trs so the:
- left leg will go into the slot on the left side of "trigger spring compartment". You can actually see the little square cut it, I place it as far left as I can. MAINTAIN THE PRESSURE AND TENSION ON PLIERS. *think firm but not digging into the frame*
-the right leg will sit behind the trigger. It's best to give yourself a little more rotation on the right leg of the trs so when you apply pressure on the left leg of the trs the right leg will swing into place behind the trigger.
6) Maintain pressure on the pliers and I find it helps to get it some leftward pressure. With your left hand push the trigger axle through the frame and into trs. The trigger axle will get to the frame and may hang up. Do not release pressure on the pliers.
7) if the trigger axle won't go all the way through push up on the right side of the trigger shoe *you must have nimble hands to work on hks*. Do not hammer this, it will line up just right and push right in.

If you get frustrated, walk away. It has to go just right and the use of a vice and good lighting goes a long way

HeavyDuty
06-09-2024, 07:08 AM
Also, just to confirm - you used the longer roll pin from the SRT kit and made sure it was flush on the one side?

JDB
06-09-2024, 07:48 AM
If it's not the TRS or elbow spring, it could be the trigger bar plunger (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Bar-Detent-P30-P2000/p/209269) (TBP for short) or its spring (TBPS for short) isn't seated correctly. I've had it happen a couple times before where the plunger got bound up in its hole in the frame somehow. This had the end result of the TBPS not applying pressure to the rear of the trigger bar, causing the trigger not to function correctly. It's been a few years since it last happened but, I think I remember it preventing the gun from resetting.

I don't have a pic of this but, I'll try to describe it briefly. With the backstrap off, there is a small hole in the frame, near the grip arch, at the top of where the backstrap ends. When the TBP is inserted correctly into its hole in the frame, the tail end of the TBP protrudes through this hole and is visible in the backstrap area. It fits through that hole with just a bit of resistance as the end of the plunger has a slightly raised nipple to it. Once inserted correctly in the hole, with the spring, the plunger should articulate up and down freely. Here's a pic of that part from the link above:

Whether due to excessive carbon build up or something else, a few times I've had the plunger tail fit through that hole and look like it's correctly inserted, but it was binding up. After thoroughly cleaning the hole and maybe a dab of oil just to be safe, the issue went away. If you can get a small punch in through the top of the frame, you can lightly test the TBP to see if it articulates. I forget if you'll have to pull the disconnector, latch, catch, etc. to fit a punch in there though.

Thanks. I’m a doofus…finally got the TRS in correctly (with way less effort), but like an idiot took the plunger out to check it.

What kind of triple jointed German midget shaman contortionist do you have to be to get that dammed thing back in?
I’m looking for instructions, found a 1.5 hr video that hopefully explains it.

8-10 hrs in….

JDB
06-09-2024, 11:48 PM
Took around 12 hours, but got it done. It’s a big improvement.

Really, with some practice and knowing what NOT to do, the install isn’t that bad. But I had to do everything wrong first, and there’s plenty to get wrong. Wound up almost completely detail stripping the frame, and it took a lot of fiddling to fit it all back together.

HeavyDuty
06-10-2024, 08:11 AM

Really, with some practice and knowing what NOT to do, the install isn’t that bad. But I had to do everything wrong first, and there’s plenty to get wrong. Wound up almost completely detail stripping the frame, and it took a lot of fiddling to fit it all back together.

What was the reset issue?

breakingtime91
06-10-2024, 11:40 AM

If it makes you feel better hks are really annoying until the light bulb moment. I hated working on them at first and now I feel like they are as easy for me as a glock almost. Everything goes together just right which I think is genius. Doesn't allow the pistol to be put back together in a way that tricks the owner into thinking it's good to go. One check I always do is the firing pin. Push in on the firing pin with the slide removed (you can use a punch or a pencil) and the firing pin should not protrude into the chamber. Reset and do it ahain while pushing in on the firing pin block and the firing pin should protrude. If that passes, your slide is good to go. With the frame I slowly pull the trigger all the way back to the wall. Everything should move in concert and at the end of the trigger pull the control latch (gray guns is np3 covered) should reach up (that's how it pushes up on the firing pin block). If that all seems fine you should be good to go.

JDB
06-10-2024, 11:55 AM
What was the reset issue?

Initially, I tried to force the Trigger Return spring legs to span the front and back of the frame (instead of the short leg contacting the trigger)….which doesn’t make any sense, but that’s what it looked like was happening from the grainy install video. So I mangled a couple TRS springs, then looked at it and realized this can’t be right.

Then I finally got it in, but got curious about that trigger bar plunger and took it out. Couldn’t get it back in without taking the leaf spring out. Took forever trying to see how that was retained. Didn’t realize that plunger is just a tight friction fit, thought I was forcing it wrong and missing something.

Then just lots of time fiddling, finding the right installation videos and schematics, flying springs, slight mid orientation, etc.

It’s a fiddly gun. Should go much faster next time. Two more P30s and a Hk45c to go….

breakingtime91
06-10-2024, 12:28 PM
Initially, I tried to force the Trigger Return spring legs to span the front and back of the frame (instead of the short leg contacting the trigger)….which doesn’t make any sense, but that’s what it looked like was happening from the grainy install video. So I mangled a couple TRS springs, then looked at it and realized this can’t be right.

Then I finally got it in, but got curious about that trigger bar plunger and took it out. Couldn’t get it back in without taking the leaf spring out. Took forever trying to see how that was retained. Didn’t realize that plunger is just a tight friction fit, thought I was forcing it wrong and missing something.

Then just lots of time fiddling, finding the right installation videos and schematics, flying springs, slight mid orientation, etc.

It’s a fiddly gun. Should go much faster next time. Two more P30s and a Hk45c to go….

Gray guns has install videos on their YouTube

I always take pictures of the gun before I start to reference during reinstall

HeavyDuty
06-10-2024, 01:15 PM
I find most gunsmithing videos to be near useless, either from horrible images or confusing presentation. There is a great series of posts on (I think it is) HKPro on how to detail strip and reassemble the P30 series.

JDB
06-11-2024, 06:09 AM
I find most gunsmithing videos to be near useless, either from horrible images or confusing presentation. There is a great series of posts on (I think it is) HKPro on how to detail strip and reassemble the P30 series.

Concur. The schematic was more helpful. Plus there’s so much irrelevant filler in videos.
The last time I detail stripped a P30 was to convert a V3 to LEM. With the HKPro post, it took maybe 4-5 hours.