PDA

View Full Version : 229 trigger reset problem

backtrail540
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a Sig 229 Elite, approximately 3500 rounds. Recently I have had a problem with the trigger resetting in SA mode. The DA shot is fine, but the SA fails to reset randomly. I can hardly get through a magazine with out a dead trigger, therefore I have to decock, or sometimes after a pull or two it will reset and drop the hammer in SA.

I can replicate the problem by manually racking the slide, so it's not just during live fire, and it is not consistent. I bought a parts kit from Sig and changed out the trigger bar spring, decocker spring, and slide catch spring. The problem still persists. Once while manually racking with the grips off the gun, trying to see the problem, when I would pull the trigger in SA mode the gun would decock, like the trigger was the decocker rather than drop the hammer. It did this only the one time and hasn't happened again, so I may have had had pressure on the mainspring or some other area since the grips were off and the internals were unguarded.

Anyways, that is the gist of my problem. Any ideas what the culprit can be? Also if there is any more info I can provide, I will do my best to answer questions(no access to a video camera, so video is not an option). With as few rounds through the gun as there are, it's disappointing to be having this problem.

backtrail540
08-17-2012, 02:31 PM
It seems that a little pressure upward on the mainspring when the trigger is dead will reset the trigger, maybe a new mainspring is needed?

Attila
08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Your trigger bar may be worn out. Look at the topmost lobe and compare it to yours:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-trigger-bar_p226_p228_p229-da-sa.html

When the slide cycles, it presses down on this lobe and resets the bar so that it will catch the sear as you release the trigger to the reset point. This is from memory so I apologize if I'm a little off on my description of the process. If the trigger bar looks worn, try removing the slide and dry-firing (catch the hammer so it doesn't batter your frame/sear/ejector/pin.) Then hold the hammer back and press down on the lobe. You should hear a click and the trigger will have reset. What you are doing is simulating the slide pressing the hammer back and then depressing the trigger bar to 'enter' SA mode.

If you're only 3500 rounds in, that should be a warranty repair issue.

ETA: Lifetime warranty, but I suppose what I should have meant to say is that part should last much longer than 3500 rounds.

backtrail540
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I took the slide off today at the range and saw exactly what you were saying. It reset everytime I pushed it down, as it should, and the lobe on top of the trigger has slight wear, therefore I think you may be right. It seems that for some reason, the slide occasionally doesn't push the trigger bar down enough to reset the trigger. I'll have to shoot Sig an email.

Thank you for your response and help.

Attila
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Pleased to be of help. :D Keep us posted; I'd like to know what Sig says.

backtrail540
08-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I forgot they don't like emails, ill have to call customer service after class tomorrow and see what they say. I was reading over their warranty statement on their website and saw that adding aftermarket parts, even cosmetic in nature, may negate the warranty. The only thing I have done is put on a warren rear/dawson front sight so I'm hoping that they let it slide and will take a look at it. Either way I will post the results.

backtrail540
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Just hang up the phone with Sig, the label is on the way. They said that aftermarket sights are not a problem.

backtrail540
09-28-2012, 03:22 AM
I just got the gun back from Sig. I sent it in a bit late, just under two week turn around. The note says they replaced the safety lever and trigger bar, I will be hitting the range within the next few days to see if it remedied the problem.