PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bible verses

P30
12-22-2021, 08:57 AM
One of mine is: "Don't be afraid!" Jesus said this many times.

Yesterday I watched a talk between two doctors - one in history (Daniele Ganser) and one in biology/brain research (Gerald Hüther). The video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lvKfmvA_s) is in German, so probably not of much use for most of you. They said, bad governments and bad leaders enlarge and maintain their power by fear. Especially by a kind of fear in which they mislead their people. They gave examples, mainly demonization of alleged enemies who are humans, too, and most times not so different from ourselves (Jews in Nazi Germany, communists in the cold war, ...). Where they agreed big time was about three values: Love, courage and the truth. These values are a very good remedy against bad leaders and good medicine for a happy life.

They did not talk much about how to implement or realize these values. What helped me a lot against propaganda is this wikipedia section: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques#Specific_techniques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques#Specific_techniques). It lists many of the dirty propaganda tricks. Many of these tricks are used in order to mislead the people and to produce fear in the masses. If we know the tricks, we are less vulnerable against them.

What helps me to be more courageous is focussing on helpful techniques, e.g. in paragliding and paramotor flying. If I focus on useful things, the brain has not so much capacity left to kid me with useless thoughts and feelings.

I would like very much, if you add more Bible verses and write about why they are important to you. Helpful verses from other religions are also very welcome. And what helps you to apply the wise verses.

SAWBONES
12-22-2021, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the propaganda techniques link; it's a very useful review, since I now recognize that many of the logical fallacies listed are indeed used as propaganda techniques, though I'd never thought of them in that perspective before, rather only in the context of argument.

As a Christian and student of the Bible for over fifty years now, I'll happily contribute:
...the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, “The Lord knows those who are His”...

Wishing all here a joyous Christmas.

2xAGM114
12-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will also help you, I will also uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

Isaiah 41:10

I'm currently OCONUS on a work trip. Being away from home for the holidays is tough, in addition to the living conditions. These little reminders are crucial right now.

Wayne Dobbs
12-22-2021, 10:17 AM
I read this and stood on it every day overseas:

Psalm 91
1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”

RJ
12-22-2021, 10:30 AM
I've always been partial to Isaiah 6:8.

...Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”..

I'm not a missionary, and don't like people proselytizing me, so I tend to avoid discussing my faith in public. I'd say I was more spiritual than religious.

To me, Isaiah 6:8 means The Lord has asked me (me, specifically) to go about my day in a helpful manner. I'm far from a perfect person, but if I can answer that call by helping out someone else, in some small way, I try to do that.

P30
12-22-2021, 12:15 PM
One of mine is: "Don't be afraid!" Jesus said this many times.
I want to add something: Of course talk is cheap. I mean, I can record the verse on a stupid machine that constantly repeats the verse. No big deal. But it would not help and would only be annoying.

The point is: If a wise person you can trust says something, then there is most likely some truth to it. And Jesus said it really often. He knows us and how the world works. And I believe, he also knows the devil and evil. So he knows how fear and hate is put into our hearts. And that these feelings do much more bad than good. This is why I find this Bible verse so important and useful. Because Jesus said it many times.

Little joke (https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81692&d=1640195403)

snow white
12-22-2021, 12:22 PM
As some may have gathered from my thumbnail picture
and quote In my postings I am not Christian. I do however love Jesus and his teachings the same as i love other holy beings. We are all walking in the same direction even though we choose different paths to take. Love everyone.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

pooty
12-22-2021, 12:44 PM
"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."
1 Timothy 2:12

keep them hoes in check
no women cops or judges or bosses or teachers
repeal the 19th : no democrat preznints minus the female vote

P30
12-22-2021, 01:15 PM
To me, Isaiah 6:8 means The Lord has asked me (me, specifically) to go about my day in a helpful manner. I'm far from a perfect person, but if I can answer that call by helping out someone else, in some small way, I try to do that.
A few weeks ago I old fart learned a new trick (https://beruhmte-zitate.de/zitate/1974800-peter-drucker-es-ist-wichtiger-das-richtige-zu-tun-als-etwas-r/):

"Es ist wichtiger, das Richtige zu tun, als etwas richtig zu tun."
-- Peter Drucker

My humble translation (not a native English speaker):

It is more important to do the right thing than to do something right.

Is this good English? Of course there must be a balance, "Do no harm" comes to mind. But the proverb above helps me, who is a perfectionist, a lot. Because perfectionists are in risk of doing nothing because they are afraid of doing it not perfectly.

Moylan
12-22-2021, 03:10 PM
"Do no harm" comes to mind. But the proverb above helps me, who is a perfectionist, a lot. Because perfectionists are in risk of doing nothing because they are afraid of doing it not perfectly.

To me, the English is not good. I think better would be "It is more important to do the right thing than to do the thing right," or something like that.

The provided translation, "It is more important to do the right thing than to do something right," sounds to me like it's saying you've got to find the one right thing and do that, instead of doing something that may be right but not "the best." And I'd think that the more important lesson to learn is to do something right, drawn from among the often vast selection of good things one might do in any given circumstance, rather than being paralyzed by searching for "the best" thing to do. In many or even most circumstances, there's a wide array of right things to do (IMHO, as an Aristotelian virtue ethics guy rather than someone who adheres to awful modern moral theories like consequentialism), and no such a thing as THE right thing.

BTW, the guy in my avatar, GK Chesterton, wrote "if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." Not as an excuse for not trying, but as a defense against excusing yourself from trying. It's more or less my motto, because I'm bad at a lot of stuff.

Moylan
12-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Behold as the eyes of the servants are on the hands of their masters, As the eyes of the handmaid are on the hands of her mistress: so are our eyes unto the Lord our God, until he have mercy on us.

Unless the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it.

I have gotten "too busy" to pray the Divine Office every day, but for quite a few years I managed at least Lauds and Vespers, and usually Compline, just about every day. Gotta get back to it.

Coyotesfan97
12-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Isaiah 54:17

No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD.

P30
12-22-2021, 05:56 PM
And I'd think that the more important lesson to learn is to do something right, drawn from among the often vast selection of good things one might do in any given circumstance, rather than being paralyzed by searching for "the best" thing to do. In many or even most circumstances, there's a wide array of right things to do [...], and no such a thing as THE right thing.

BTW, the guy in my avatar, GK Chesterton, wrote "if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." Not as an excuse for not trying, but as a defense against excusing yourself from trying. It's more or less my motto, because I'm bad at a lot of stuff.
Thank you for your valuable addition. As I understand you and Peter Drucker, if we do nothing, it does not help and we don't get training. Bad. If we do something, it probably helps and we get training. Better.

I googled for an English version (https://www.google.de/search?q=peter+drucker+it+is+more+important&source=lnms&tbm=isch) and found this:

It's more important to do the right thing than to do things right.

But since Peter Drucker was born in Austria and later lived in the USA, I don't know which version is originally from him (German or English).

PS:
There are more English variants (https://www.google.de/search?q=peter+drucker+doing+the+right+thing&tbm=isch) of the quote. For example:

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Also see goodreads.com/author/quotes/12008.Peter_F_Drucker (https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/12008.Peter_F_Drucker). So - as you wrote - it's not so much about doing THE right thing but more about doing A right thing.

DDTSGM
12-22-2021, 07:24 PM
Not a bible verse:

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” - Viktor Frankl

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

(Note: remember from a Sunday School lesson that we should note that no armor for the back is described. Interpreted as don't turn your back on the Lord's fight.)

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Something I discuss with my pastor who is a real Mennonite, not some Johnny Come Lately to the Mennonite Church like me. I make a distinction between pacifism and peaceful and note that Jesus was a pacifist, but expected his disciples to be both peaceful and able to defend themselves against attack:

Luke 22: 35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said,[B] “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

Cory
12-22-2021, 07:51 PM
Matthew 6:34.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Eric_L
12-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Proverbs 20.3 It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel. It helps keep me out of trouble.
Companion proverbs 19.11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

JTMcC
12-24-2021, 11:09 AM
Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it"

1 Samuel 17:47 "for the battle is the Lord's"

LOKNLOD
12-24-2021, 11:44 AM
Philippians 4:13 in full context, it's about contentment and peace in all circumstances, not God granting us abilities to do cool things. 4:11 keeps me grounded. It's about withstanding, not achieving.

Philippians 4
11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Modern "Jesus is my boyfriend" services catering to stir emotion only have lost much of the reverence for the Mighty God we serve.
Hebrews 10
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Fun one just for Christmas: Jeremiah calling out Christmas trees long before Christmas was a thing - fun fact my dad used this to avoid Christmas trees all together. Never had one till i was an adult... let me tell you, the man is a genius. Stupid trees are a pain to deal with, store, dispose, decorate, put up, take down, yadda yadda. He avoided all that nonsense. :cool: ;) I haven't been so lucky, my wife loves the dang trees.
Jeremiah 10
1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I love the book of Proverbs, so much good stuff in there. This one is well known, usually in a "be a good friend" way. But I always think of how iron does sharpen iron. With sparks. Friction. Noise. Heat. Grinding, shaving, reshaping. Being a good friend in sharpening one another isn't aways kumbayah and rainbows.
Proverbs 27
17 As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

LOKNLOD
12-24-2021, 11:47 AM
ike me. I make a distinction between pacifism and peaceful and note that Jesus was a pacifist, but expected his disciples to be both peaceful and able to defend themselves against attack:[/I]

Luke 22: 35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said,[B] “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

From some apocrypha, surely:
Jesus: "Buy one sword"
Disciples: "we have two"
Jesus: "Good. Two is one, one is none."

MVS
12-24-2021, 01:40 PM
Easy one for me. Love the verse and the context.

Joshua 24:15

Joshua’s Admonition

14 Joshua said, “Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly and faithfully. Remove the gods that your fathers served in the region across the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 But if you see no benefit in serving the Lord,[a] then choose for yourselves today whomever you will serve—whether the gods that your fathers served beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household—we will serve the Lord!”

LOKNLOD
12-24-2021, 01:52 PM
That's a great one, MVS.

I thought of another one with special meaning...
A few years back we were going through a really rough patch with my daughter's health (immune deficiency stuff) and my wife was really at her wit's end one night. In the middle of the night, praing, crying, she got up, got out her bible, and literally did the old "open it and see what's there" trick and landed on this verse and it meant a great deal to her, obviously. I later made a plaque with it for her that's hanging up in our house.

Psalms 66:19 "But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer."

OlongJohnson
12-25-2021, 10:28 AM
But since Peter Drucker was born in Austria and later lived in the USA, I don't know which version is originally from him (German or English).

It is interesting to see a German quoting Drucker. I was not aware of his immigrant status. I studied for my Bachelor's degree at one of the schools affiliated with the Drucker School of Management.

Back on topic:

Proverbs 24:33-34
New International Version

33 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
34 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.

JCS
12-25-2021, 10:59 AM
Probably the one verse that impacted me as much as any else, Eph 2:8-9 "8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast"

And this beautiful verse, perfect for Christmas day from Luke Chapter 2, "I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." No matter what the day looks like, if we have good families or bad, whether we go out or stay at home, the real hope and joy of Christmas is that we celebrate the Savior of the world came to live on earth with us and give His life for us.

P30
12-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Probably the one verse that impacted me as much as any else, Eph 2:8-9 "8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast"
This verse and its variant in the Letter to the Romans strongly influenced Martin Luther (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther#Solus_Christus,_sola_gratia,_sola_fi de,_sola_scriptura) ("sola gratia"). I have a bit difficulties to understand the justice in "sola gratia". On the other hand, I like the song "Amazing Grace" very much, very similar story.

My favorite version of the song: Amazing Grace sung by Judy Collins, recorded in Cologne Cathedral (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtteRD5bBNQ) in 1970 (also British military choir and Cologne cathedral choir are singing in the background).

Unisaw
12-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Jesus Chris is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. --Hebrews 13:8-9

It’s such a simple verse but covers an immense amount of ground.

EMC
12-25-2021, 07:47 PM
I like these verses because I myself am bald and would like to send she-bears after those little kids who mock my baldness. Elisha was a BAMF.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%202:22-24&version=KJ21

2 Kings 2:22-24

21st Century King James Version

22 So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spoke.

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel. And as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him and said unto him, “Go up, thou bald head! Go up, thou bald head!”

24 And he turned back and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two shebears out of the wood and tore forty and two children of them.

SAWBONES
12-25-2021, 09:16 PM
Hah.
I actually have a sweatshirt from Babylon Bee with 2 Kings 2: 23-25 on it.

FPS
12-26-2021, 07:45 PM
Really depends on what is going on in life but some of my favorites over the years -

This one reminds me of the master plan of God, the hope I have in Christ, and not to be swayed by the day to day instabilities and disruptions around me. My destiny is secure regardless of the chaos of life:

Romans 8:28-30 - We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. For those he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified, he also glorified.

This one reminds me of the meaning of life and that it is not about me -

Romans 11:36 - For from him and to him and through him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen.

willie
12-28-2021, 09:51 AM
I grew up going to church and remain a believer. I have observed that religion does not free us from cultural biases. I admit being comfortable with my world view that includes certain bias. I admit that I choose to have them. Some deny having biases yet their words and deeds say otherwise. I keep to myself, keep my mouth shut, and try not say or do unkind things. Keeping to myself helps.

DDTSGM
12-28-2021, 03:18 PM
I grew up going to church and remain a believer. I have observed that religion does not free us from cultural biases. I admit being comfortable with my world view that includes certain bias. I admit that I choose to have them. Some deny having biases yet their words and deeds say otherwise. I keep to myself, keep my mouth shut, and try not say or do unkind things. Keeping to myself helps.

We all have biases; we are all ethnocentric to differing degrees. The test of character is whether we give voice to them, or act on them.

Hating an entire race/culture is wrong. I can understand why my friend's father, who made several amphibious assaults in the Pacific, referred to the Japanese as he did. It wasn't right, though.

11B10
12-28-2021, 06:11 PM

willie - a man reaches a certain age where being honest (or as it's said these days: "real") is absolutely the best policy. I find myself being honest far more these days, mainly because 'my time' is not as long as it once was.

Thanks for hitting my nail on the head.

P30
12-28-2021, 07:08 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/The_Dark_Triad.png/248px-The_Dark_Triad.png

Deepl translation (https://www.deepl.com/translator#de/en/Der%20Machiavellist%20gilt%20als%20heuchlerisch%2C %20unehrlich%2C%20opportunistisch%2C%20promisk%20u nd%20extravertiert.) of de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkle_Triade (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkle_Triade#Die_drei_Pers%C3%B6nlichkeitstypen):

The Machiavellian is [...] considered hypocritical, dishonest, opportunistic, promiscuous, and extraverted.

willie and 11B10: I'm glad you're no Machiavellians at all. Machiavellians are not pleasant (to say the least).

UpDok
01-16-2022, 04:31 PM
The following is one of my favorite Bible passages. It is Luke 4:16 -22 KJV where Jesus reads a passage out of Isaiah 61 in the synagogue in the town of Nazareth and he comments on the scripture's fulfillment.
This passage has special meaning for me because Jesus pulled me out of a very dark time in my life and gave me Liberty.

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?"

Randy Harris
01-17-2022, 02:43 PM
John 14:1-3
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

the Schwartz
01-18-2022, 08:54 AM
One of my favorites, especially in these times—

KJV Psalms 5: 8-12

8Lead me, O Lord, in Thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make Thy way straight before my face. 9For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulcher; they flatter with their tongue. 10Destroy Thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against Thee. 11But let all those who put their trust in Thee rejoice; let them ever shout for joy, because Thou defendest them; let them also who love Thy name be joyful in Thee. 12For Thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favor wilt Thou compass him as with a shield.

Irelander
01-18-2022, 10:18 AM
This is the most encouraging thread I have ever seen on a gun forum. Thank you all for contributing your favorite Bible verses.

I have started a "read the Bible in a year" program. I am just finishing up the life of Joseph in Genesis. It's awesome to read about when his life comes full circle and he can see the big picture of why all the craziness in his past happened starting with his brothers selling him into slavery.
Genesis 50:20 KJV
"But as for you, ye thought evil of me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."
Much of the world at that time was in the midst of a 7 year famine, but God gave Joseph wisdom and position to prepare Egypt for it so to save Joseph's family, Egypt and many surrounding areas from the famine.

The verses my family memorizes and try to live by are Proverbs 3:5&6 KJV - "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Another Proverb that I have been thinking of lately.
Proverbs 21:31 KJV - "The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord."
I carry a gun, but gunfights are won by the Lord.

BN
01-18-2022, 11:34 AM
KJV 1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

NIV 1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Tennessee Jed
01-18-2022, 06:01 PM
This verse nearly knocked me over the first time I read it. The simplicity and clarity of it continues to have a significant impact on me. Whenever I'm overwhelmed with life, this verse resets my compass.

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” --- Micah 6:8

Cory
01-18-2022, 06:52 PM
I have started a "read the Bible in a year" program.

I believe Doc_Glock mentioned using a schedule that covers the Bible in a year, for several years. Overall 30 years straight I think he said.

I've been painstakingly slowly reading mine cover to cover. I stalled out and it's been nearly a year with me in the middle of the New Testament. I need to carve out that time again.

Doc_Glock
01-18-2022, 07:39 PM
I believe @Doc_Glock (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=12978) mentioned using a schedule that covers the Bible in a year, for several years. Overall 30 years straight I think he said.

I've been painstakingly slowly reading mine cover to cover. I stalled out and it's been nearly a year with me in the middle of the New Testament. I need to carve out that time again.

I have used the M'Cheyne plan for a very long time. Works for me. You can shrink this PDF (https://ae254752f9f68d8294c7-79b17cd31760e72c116ac0e6cae169d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/uploaded/2/0e11304639_1608142629_2021-bible-reading-plan.pdf) and put it in your bible, or it is available on the "YouVersion" bible app under their reading plan section.

The last few years I have enjoyed using an audio bible that just reads it to me as I do my morning chores, also available on that app.

I think it is the OT once and NT, Psalms, Proverbs twice in a year. I do not find it un-manageable.

Unisaw
01-18-2022, 09:12 PM
I have read the "One Year Bible" twice but never really liked how it broke things up. Now, I'm nearly done reading the New Testament cover to cover, and have liked that approach much better.

willie
01-19-2022, 07:28 AM
Though Christian, I would have been a good Jew because I emphasize the 10 Commandments and don't de-emphasize the Old-Testament's contribution. I think God helps those who help themselves. Further, my understanding is that Christianity promises Salvation. I think that Faith can give us strength. We pray to ask that requests be filled. They might be, but I don't see these favors being part of the deal.

Some folks desire freedom from religion, and I understand that. One reason is that religion has made some of us dumber in that narrow views sometimes cause us to be mean spirited or less charitable than we should be. Sometimes these views influence public policy. My religious upbringing reinforced several cultural biases. I still have them but in a diluted sense. Thankfully, I recognize how they originated.

I believe in Satan and have looked him in the face.

ubervic
01-19-2022, 09:01 AM
They did not talk much about how to implement or realize these values. What helped me a lot against propaganda is this wikipedia section: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques#Specific_techniques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques#Specific_techniques). It lists many of the dirty propaganda tricks. Many of these tricks are used in order to mislead the people and to produce fear in the masses. If we know the tricks, we are less vulnerable against them.

Thank you for pointing to this fascinating Wiki on Propaganda Techniques. I studied many of these concepts and fallacies way back in college, when I my coursework included studies in Logic, Philosophy and Debate. Very helpful to expose these ideas to all, especially in today's world, lest they be leveraged as an ever greater means of manipulation by those intent on doing harm.

DDTSGM
01-19-2022, 12:27 PM
I just discovered the Bible app Dwell. Really enjoying and learning/rediscovering as I listen while driving and walking.

Eric_L
01-22-2022, 11:28 AM
The following is one of my favorite Bible passages. It is Luke 4:16 -22 KJV where Jesus reads a passage out of Isaiah 61 in the synagogue in the town of Nazareth and he comments on the scripture's fulfillment.
This passage has special meaning for me because Jesus pulled me out of a very dark time in my life and gave me Liberty.

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?"

Great verse! This speaks to his nature and how compassionate He is to us.

cornstalker
01-23-2022, 03:25 PM
I have used the M'Cheyne plan for a very long time. Works for me. You can shrink this PDF (https://ae254752f9f68d8294c7-79b17cd31760e72c116ac0e6cae169d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/uploaded/2/0e11304639_1608142629_2021-bible-reading-plan.pdf) and put it in your bible, or it is available on the "YouVersion" bible app under their reading plan section.

The last few years I have enjoyed using an audio bible that just reads it to me as I do my morning chores, also available on that app.

I think it is the OT once and NT, Psalms, Proverbs twice in a year. I do not find it un-manageable.

Good stuff.

I finished a "Bible in a year" plan on the YouVersion last November. I am glad I did. Overall I was very happy with it. At times, the format was very repetitive, which was a distraction for me. I still highly recommend it.

BN
02-05-2022, 06:56 PM
I have the verse of the day that pops up on my phone. Today's was Proverbs 13:20.

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: But a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

That sounds like the "Three S's" to me.

Bio
02-09-2022, 11:07 AM
Two I'll make note of:

Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”

I think of this as a good check every time I'm feeling (usually unjustly) like I've been wronged in some way. Basically, there's no excuse to act poorly toward people, no matter what has happened to me.

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

This holds a special place with me as a scientist because the Word is translated from "logos" in Greek, which refers to the rational workings of the world (and understanding the workings of the world with reason). It emphasizes God as the source of order in the universe, not an exception.

DueSpada
03-11-2022, 10:57 PM
a couple of verses of Psalm 144...

1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

11 Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood:

JAD
03-16-2022, 05:11 PM
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

This holds a special place with me as a scientist because the Word is translated from "logos" in Greek, which refers to the rational workings of the world (and understanding the workings of the world with reason). It emphasizes God as the source of order in the universe, not an exception.

There is more theology to unpack in the prologue to John, and particularly in that verse, than I hope to be able to accomplish in the time I have remaining.

JAD
03-16-2022, 05:17 PM
46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48 Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49 Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.
51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
52 He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.
53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54 He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy:
55 As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed for ever.

idahojess
06-22-2022, 02:57 PM
I think this is good mindset advice:

James 1:19, NIV: My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

(Good advice for posting on the internet, too.)

Odin Bravo One
06-28-2022, 06:38 PM
Matthew 10:23

Joe S
07-03-2022, 05:59 AM
This verse nearly knocked me over the first time I read it. The simplicity and clarity of it continues to have a significant impact on me. Whenever I'm overwhelmed with life, this verse resets my compass.

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” --- Micah 6:8

I really like this one and never remember reading it, although I surely must have, at some point.

I'm not Christian, but was raised by and among Christians. I feel an attachment to this one:

"Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

Le Français
07-03-2022, 06:39 AM
I saw Satan fall like lightning from the sky.