PDA

View Full Version : Staccato C2 DPO (optics ready) is a great shooter

elisavaet
12-20-2021, 03:56 PM
I searched and found two posts regarding Staccato. One was primarily LEO oriented, and the other seemed to refer to pistols a few years back. I thought I'd post this based on the current Staccato and my focus as a civilian, older woman, focused solely on concealed carry and personal defense.

I bought a Staccato C2 DPO on Sat. It has the "tactical" sights, which just means they are suppressor height so they'll be visible through an optic about a 1/3 of the way up on the window.

I ran apx 250 rounds through it Sat and another apx 250 on Sun. PMC Bronze 115g probably 300 of the total, 124g Gold Dot +P perhaps 100, and the last 100 147g Critical Defense and (hmm, some other defense round I can't remember!). I DID lube the barrel at the bull, hood, and contact slide rails as recommended by Staccato prior to shooting Sat. I field stripped and cleaned and lubed the pistol prior to shooting Sun as I would any other 1911 lock work pistol.

I had zero malfunctions. No failures to go into battery. No stovepipes. Nothing. It just ran like a top the whole time.

I am pretty sure it's the most accurate (non-single shot) handgun I've ever fired, and I've had a couple of tuned pistols. I'll need a month or so to get out into the desert and try some longer range stuff... but it might just be the most accurate handgun I've ever fired, period. This thing (for me) defines what the 1911 lock work pistols are supposed to offer.

I have pretty much quit shooting my full sized 1911A1 .45ACP pistols. At 62 they're starting to feel like a sledgehammer in my hand and the recoil is a bit much. Perhaps part of that is the frustration with lack of what I want in accuracy. The 1911A1 in .45ACP was the first pistol I ever fired. I started shooting around seven or eight, but when I was 19 in the USMCR I got to fire a 1911A1 in a familiarization fire course and fell in love and probably ninety five percent of what I've fired since then was pistols.

I've tried a number of pistols over the past few years since I gave almost all of my guns to my kids at the start of the pandemic. I figured I had the "opportunity" to rebuild my armory and it has been a total bitch! :) I'd buy a new gun and it would not run or the quality is crap or I couldn't hit a barn door with it. The only gun I "trust" is my Sig P225 that I had tuned by The Sig Armorer. That's what I've been carrying, but there's no way to mount an optic or light (reasonably), and I want both in my carry and home defense guns.

Sat I said "screw it". I packed up four guns and took them to a friend that has an FFL. The guns are "fine" for five hundred dollar (or so) production guns. We made a deal we were both happy with, then I went to Ventura Munitions and bought the C2.

It'll take me three to five weeks to get kydex (probably LAS Concealment) but it will probably conceal about as well as my P225.

On Sun I was out in the desert and saw what looked like a propane tank about a hundred yards up the slope from where I was shooting. I try to carry out more than I bring in, but there's always junk out there to shoot at. I was hitting it two to three times out of five offhand once I figured out where the sights were out with the ammo I was shooting. I paced it off after I packed up at an estimated one hundred ten to twenty yards. It was a propane tank about twelve inches in diameter and eighteen inches in length. That's not great shooting, but it's far better than I've been able to do since I started shooting again in my fifties.

I used to pretty easily shoot milk jugs at a hundred yards with my Super Blackhawk in my thirties and shot out to three hundred yards with friends at IHMSA matches a few times.

Most important, the C2 was accurate enough that I could call my shots and correct my grip, trigger pull etc. I've had a LOT of trouble figuring out where my problems were since I started shooting again. I shot a P365XL with an optic and that helped a lot, but it still didn't have the accuracy for hundred yard plus shots and I couldn't get comfortable carrying a striker fired pistol appendix.

The accuracy and shoot ability of the C2 took the pistol out of the "Why am I missing?" equation and let's me work on me. I can't wait to get an RMR on it and work on it.

I know I could have had three Glocks for the price of the Staccato, but then I'd have three guns I still couldn't hit with and want to point at the sky when I press it out (due to grip angle).

I was VERY CONCERNED that the Staccato would not run. I've seen SO many reviews of pistols on StupidTube where the pistols were "perfect", with "zero malfunctions" and "amazing accuracy", only to get one in my hand that won't run for me and won't hit a milk jug at twenty five yards. Clearly the StupidTube shills are being sent tuned guns or the manufacturer was taking LOTS of care during the first months when all the reviews would happen, then slacked off after the hype set in. This was not the case with the C2. I just bought one off the shelf several years after it hit and it runs like a top.

I picked up a TLR-1 HL Sun morning and shot with it mounted Sun. There was a perceptible difference in recoil which you'd expect with a few ounces hung out front.

I know the reliability reputation from STI, particularly with mags, is still an issue out there. A few of the gun tubers that I actually trust such as Honest Outlaw, Hilton Yam with 108performance, and Roger Barrera with QVOTactical have spoken highly of the pistol, but I was concerned they were shooting pistols that were not off the shelf. My experience so far is that the pistols reliability is better than any auto pistol I've ever had. Yes, this is only after five hundred rounds and a few sessions, and no, I didn't toss it on the ground or step on the mags, but I've had (I think it's up to) six brand new handguns in the past two years and not a one of them would run this well, and I couldn't shoot ANY of them as accurately as this pistol. Also, I always have carry mags that I've tested for reliability separate from training mags that I'm going to drop free, and I keep my guns clean and lubed.

If you've never shot a Staccato and you get a chance I'd recommend it. Certainly not for everyone, but I've always loved shooting pistols and have been very disappointed in not being able to shoot well since I started back up five or eight years ago. If you've never handled one and get a chance, pick it up and run the slide. It is simply amazing.

Peace,
Kate

JSGlock34
12-21-2021, 11:44 AM
I'm about 1500 rounds into my Staccato P DPO, and I'll start a thread when I hit 2,000 rounds, but I'll echo your comments. So far, the gun runs. I've lubed the gun every 500 rounds (it's not a Glock). I've had one FTF during that period, and I'm 99% sure I caused it with thumb pressure against the slide from my support hand. Every magazine has fed and locked back on empty like it is supposed to (even the 20s). And the gun is a laser beam. Very much enjoying my Staccato experience.

Clusterfrack
12-21-2021, 11:50 AM
Welcome to Pistol-Forum, elisavaet! Thanks for the detailed review, and looking forward to hearing more.

Super77
12-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Good review. Did you try any mags other than OEM by any chance?

elisavaet
12-21-2021, 03:58 PM
Good review. Did you try any mags other than OEM by any chance?

That's a good question. I shot with only one OEM mag.

One of the first things I typically do with a new pistol is buy six additional magazines (I've probably got three dozen 1911 .45ACP mags including six each from Wilson and McKormick that are 10 rounders), and I've had cases in the past where I have failures and I it takes me forever to narrow it down to a specific mag. In this case I decided to just shoot one mag for the initial five hundred round validation then work in the additional two mags for another two hundred fifty rounds each to "proof" them, then I'll probably buy another three 20 round mags and go from there.

I've hard so much about issues with 2011 magazines that I will probably stick to the OEM mags, at least initially. I think some of the issues with 2011 mags reported were from hard use during matches where they were dropped, stepped on etc. though, so I tend to discount those. If I find some non-OEM mags that are significantly less expensive than the $69.99 Staccato 20 rounders I might pick them up for training only, otherwise I'll just stick to Staccato.

In any case I always keep my training mags and carry mags separate.

Peace,
Kate

rdtompki
12-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Great review. I can attest to similar performance from the C2's baby "brother", the C.

wvincent
12-22-2021, 01:06 AM
Hammer Pair (double tap)

wvincent
12-22-2021, 01:07 AM
Ditto. What he said.^^^^^^^^^
Approaching 1000 rds with my own C, factory and Wilson 9 and 10 round mags.
0 issues, gun shoots very well, have no urge to change to anything else.
After a range session, all I can think is "This is the way".

I have another G45 in the safe, (my second), not really sure why at this point.

ETA: Great end user review, and welcome to the forum.

elisavaet
12-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Great review. I can attest to similar performance from the C2's baby "brother", the C.

I may end up with a C DPO also at some point, but I'd like to get my hands on one and see if the size difference between it and the C2 is sufficient to make it more concealable, and I've yet to see one of those in the wild. I plan to get down to Central TX in the Spring to visit family and may try to get by the factory. I "think" they do factory tours and maybe they have pistols you can see??? I know they have occasional range days here and there too.

Peace,
Kate

elisavaet
12-22-2021, 09:54 AM
Ditto. What he said.^^^^^^^^^
Approaching 1000 rds with my own C, factory and Wilson 9 and 10 round mags.
0 issues, gun shoots very well, have no urge to change to anything else.
After a range session, all I can think is "This is the way".

I have another G45 in the safe, (my second), not really sure why at this point.

ETA: Great end user review, and welcome to the forum.

I wasn't sure you could use non-Staccato mags, although I did "think" that a standard 1911 9mm might work, so it's good information to have. I have 10 rounders for my Sig P225 and think they're great for spare mags with a flush fit in the pistol.

Re: the G45... I think having a Glock around as a "buddy gun" or backup makes sense regardless as they are so ubiquitous, but for EDC/CCW the Staccato is hard to beat!

Peace,
Kate

rdtompki
12-22-2021, 10:26 AM
All my 20+ Tripp 10 round 9mm mags run fine in the C. I also have Tripp 9 and 10 round Officer mags which have small extensions to the base pads to fill in the front strap gap. If I didn't compete with a 1911 I'd be very interested in the C2 for carry, but I wanted a grip close to a standard 1911. Plus the C is so easy to conceal that I don't even need to think about dressing around the gun (and I live in an OC state:)). The C grip is a bit skinnier than a standar 1911, but grip tape has proven a worthwhile add-on.

Elwin
12-22-2021, 10:47 AM
The C grip is a bit skinnier than a standar 1911, but grip tape has proven a worthwhile add-on.

Interesting. Based on photos and the fact that it's polymer I was guessing that the C had a thicker grip than a traditional officer/CCO 1911.

JSGlock34
12-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Atlas is now making 2011 magazines, but they are more expensive than the GEN3 Staccato OEM offerings. I'm not quite sure what they offer over the Staccato magazines, but more 2011 options is a good thing. It'd be nice to see a Mec-Gar option...

rdtompki
12-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Interesting. Based on photos and the fact that it's polymer I was guessing that the C had a thicker grip than a traditional officer/CCO 1911.
I've only used VZ grips for the last several years; the stock Springer wood grips may be slimmer. The C is clearly designed for carry and the slimmer grip with very modest texture is a reasonable approach. There is a company that will re-texture the grip but the C grip module is not user-removable so the lower would have to be sent in FFL to FFL. Grip tape was $10:) All my HK's on on Gunbroker since the C purchase.

Elwin
12-22-2021, 11:12 AM
I've only used VZ grips for the last several years; the stock Springer wood grips may be slimmer. The C is clearly designed for carry and the slimmer grip with very modest texture is a reasonable approach. There is a company that will re-texture the grip but the C grip module is not user-removable so the lower would have to be sent in FFL to FFL. Grip tape was $10:) All my HK's on on Gunbroker since the C purchase.

That's good to know. The C is very competitively priced for a quality CCO type gun, especially since it's basically ready to go as far as features. I'm comfortable stippling my guns, and it has a grip design that looks like it would be very easy to remove the stock texture and apply a new one. Just as another option.

I'm currently on the bobtailed full size train and hate complicating logistics for mags and whatnot, so this is all hypothetical, but I do find CCOs to be very compelling as a carry option. If my wife ever got serious about carrying (she may or may not, either is fine) I could see us shopping for one.

MVS
12-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the review. There are a lot of Staccato haters out there for some reason, but I am strongly leaning towards getting a C2.

dontshakepandas
12-22-2021, 03:11 PM
I recently got tired of Glocks making my hand bleed every time I went to shoot and dumped all of them and picked up a Staccato P and a C2. Both of them were hitting a few inches high, but Dawson sent out new sights to fix that free of charge.

I haven't put many rounds through either gun yet, but I absolutely love both of them. Everyone here has been saying for years that you can't buy skill/performance and after shooting these two I think you are all fucking liars.

Mitch
12-22-2021, 03:52 PM
Man, I liked it better when people were saying these didn’t run and the mags are bullshit.

Now I want a couple.

elisavaet
12-22-2021, 04:10 PM
...I haven't put many rounds through either gun yet, but I absolutely love both of them. Everyone here has been saying for years that you can't buy skill/performance and after shooting these two I think you are all fucking liars.
<belly_laugh>

I think the "lie" is the belief most of us can't outshoot the accuracy of most guns. A pistol like the Staccato quickly points out the flaw in that belief.

I've spent a lot of time in my life with old geezers that live and breath handgun shooting, mostly IHMA matches (steel targets out to three hundred yards). I remember doing "ok", but struggling to hit at 300 with my three screw Super Blackhawk back in my early thirties when I was still young and energetic. A couple of the old timers "made me" shoot their TC and (I think it was) Remington single shot pistols and it was like a light went off! I just lined up the sights and hit rams at three hundred! I never did care for single shots, but it made it VERY clear to me that the only variable in that equation was the pistol that was required to allow me to make reliable hits at distance.

About six or eight years ago when I got back into shooting I had the same thing happen out at the Desert Sportsmans club shooting IHMSA with my 1911A1 and a New Model Super Blackhawk I had tuned. I couldn't hit boo. Gary and Paul let me shoot their single shots and I'd just line up the sights and hit. Paul brought out a Freedom Arms .22 and let me run it one weekend in the rimfire category and I just ate up the targets. The tool doesn't make the craftsman, but you don't build custom cabinets with flint axes and sledge hammers.

I'm looking forward to having time to setup some targets out at a hundred to one fifty out in the desert with my C2.

The sick part of it is, when you have a gun that is likely shooting about six or eight MOA at best, you can't even figure out if it IS you or the pistol! I think the Staccato is the first repeating handgun I've ever owned that allows me to shoot to my capability so that I can find that edge and improve.

Peace
Kate

elisavaet
12-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Man, I liked it better when people were saying these didn’t run and the mags are bullshit.

Now I want a couple.

And another <belly_laugh>.

My degree is in Mechanical Engineering Technology, and the first fifteen years of my career I spent in heavy metal manufacturing so I'm familiar with machine tools and production processes. I think it may be possible that machine tools may have finally reached the cost/availability break point where companies like Staccato can setup processes to produce the 1911 lock work pistol at scale and with tolerances (with an appropriate design) to meet the promise of a tuned 1911.

The design is important. You'll note they use a fully ramped barrel unlike the original 1911 design, but I think all of the design features they use have been around for decades. They've just figured out how to make them at scale, with skilled labor for assembly, but minimized to allow production at scale. If I'm right then companies like RIA, Springfield, etc. will have to retool to compete, but companies without an existing investment in the 1911 lock work can tool up from scratch without having to scrap existing capital investments. That could mean we might see five to ten companies offering 1911/2011 pistols with this level of accuracy and reliability in the next three to five years with a corresponding reduction in cost. Bul Armory may already be there.

Peace,
Kate

Mark D
12-23-2021, 12:00 AM
Great first post/first thread. Welcome @elisavaet (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=21445).

MistWolf
12-23-2021, 10:40 AM
Welcome to P-F, Kate. You’re a wonderful addition to the tribe.

1911Nut
03-05-2022, 02:32 PM
I recently got tired of Glocks making my hand bleed every time I went to shoot and dumped all of them and picked up a Staccato P and a C2. Both of them were hitting a few inches high, but Dawson sent out new sights to fix that free of charge.

Re: Sight replacements on your Staccatos . . . . How high were they shooting, at what distance, and with what ammo? (Mostly interested in the C2 with the shorter barrel, but would appreciate data on both pistols if you have it). Thanks

dontshakepandas
03-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Re: Sight replacements on your Staccatos . . . . How high were they shooting, at what distance, and with what ammo? (Mostly interested in the C2 with the shorter barrel, but would appreciate data on both pistols if you have it). Thanks

They were both around 2.5” high at 15 yards with 115 gr blazer and with 147 gr HST. From looking around that’s pretty common with the DPO models I guess. The replacement sights Dawson sent had both hitting right at the top of the front blade.

1911Nut
03-05-2022, 03:31 PM
They were both around 2.5” high at 15 yards with 115 gr blazer and with 147 gr HST. From looking around that’s pretty common with the DPO models I guess. The replacement sights Dawson sent had both hitting right at the top of the front blade.

As always, thanks very much for your timely and informative replies. Greatly appreciated.

rdtompki
07-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Well, I bought a C2 and will be selling my C. The C is in all ways a great carry gun but I found when trying it out in a 300 round training session the grip is simply too short for my fairly large hands. Could I defend myself at 10-15 yards? Sure. Does it conceal well? You get. And is is both accurate and light recoiling. I can conceal a C2 and the larger grip is heaven when trying to bludgeon the dot during rapid transitions. Doesn't hurt to have 16+1 or more.

rdtompki
07-18-2022, 03:39 PM
For those who like Talon grips the Talon Staccato P grip can be easily modified for the C2 as follows:
1. Trim 0.3" uniformly from the bottom of the grip being careful to follow the contour.
2. Snip a bit off the two pieces that wrap around the front strap (the P must have a slightly larger circumference grip
3. Install per Talon instructions

Note: the grip does wrap around the main spring housing so after installation use a razor blade or similar to free the housing segment. Feels pretty good so far.

HeavyDuty
09-10-2022, 10:40 AM
Well, I bought a C2 and will be selling my C. The C is in all ways a great carry gun but I found when trying it out in a 300 round training session the grip is simply too short for my fairly large hands. Could I defend myself at 10-15 yards? Sure. Does it conceal well? You get. And is is both accurate and light recoiling. I can conceal a C2 and the larger grip is heaven when trying to bludgeon the dot during rapid transitions. Doesn't hurt to have 16+1 or more.

I’m still trying to find a C2 in the wild to handle. What is the grip size like compared to, say a G19 or G45? The C attracted me but it I have a carry 9mm Officers.

HeavyDuty
09-10-2022, 10:42 AM
elisavaet, if you’re still seeing notifications how is your C2 running?

elisavaet
09-10-2022, 12:51 PM
elisavaet, if you’re still seeing notifications how is your C2 running?

I believe I was up to about nine hundred rounds, again mixed types, brands, weights, etc. with zero malfunctions or complaints. I move my RV to Oregon for the summer and haven't done any shooting up here. Planning to head back to the Vegas area at the end of the month and will get up to well over a thousand rounds this winter I'm sure.

Still the best pistol I've ever owned by far!

elisavaet
09-10-2022, 12:56 PM
I’m still trying to find a C2 in the wild to handle. What is the grip size like compared to, say a G19 or G45? The C attracted me but it I have a carry 9mm Officers.

The grip on a C2 is very, very similar to a G45. It's longer than the G19, just like G45 is, but the circumference is about the same. the angle is 1911'ish of course, and if you use a proper "1911 grip", with the thumb up on the safety, it's a tiny bit too large for me probably, and I had to train up a bit to ensure I disengage the palm safety, but it's a good size overall, especially if you have normal size hands rather than "women's medium" like me!

HeavyDuty
09-10-2022, 01:27 PM
I believe I was up to about nine hundred rounds, again mixed types, brands, weights, etc. with zero malfunctions or complaints. I move my RV to Oregon for the summer and haven't done any shooting up here. Planning to head back to the Vegas area at the end of the month and will get up to well over a thousand rounds this winter I'm sure.

Still the best pistol I've ever owned by far!

I really need to try one on, either at a demo session or a rental. All the localish demo days have either conflicted with work or have been hours away.

The grip on a C2 is very, very similar to a G45. It's longer than the G19, just like G45 is, but the circumference is about the same. the angle is 1911'ish of course, and if you use a proper "1911 grip", with the thumb up on the safety, it's a tiny bit too large for me probably, and I had to train up a bit to ensure I disengage the palm safety, but it's a good size overall, especially if you have normal size hands rather than "women's medium" like me!

I have shortish fingers but broad palms. I suspect a C2 would fit me well.

I have a pair of DW ECPs that I am really enjoying, but there is something about a Staccato that immensely appeals. Time to do some hands on research. Thanks for the input!