PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 43C vs Ruger LCR .22

Doc_Glock
12-19-2021, 11:08 AM

There has been a lot of discussion on these revolvers lately and this is just a short post with my observations. I have one example of both and have ~2500ish rounds through both. Plus a lot of "unprotected" dry fire in that I didn't put anything in the chamber. Ruger says this is okay, Smith I think advises snap caps.

They area both concealable .22 8 shot revolvers.

On first impressions the Ruger is built more robustly and has a better trigger. Over time and a lot of trigger pulls, however the Smith trigger improves quite a bit in both smoothness and weight to become the Ruger's equal. The 43C's pull is shorter with minimal over travel and the reset spring is more robust, which along with a shorter reset makes the 43C near impossible to short stroke. More on that later. Total weight not measurable on either with my equipment, but estimated 10-12lbs

With time and rounds, the LCR has become a little looser feeling than the 43C, but they both work quite well.

The LCR sight is well regulated and very intuitive to use. It is a classic rectangular post inside a rectangular groove: equal height, equal light.

The 43C uses a round big dot post that goes into a half circle groove with a portion of the dot above the groove and generally hits behind the dot. It isn't intuitive and it doesn't feel fast, and precision is difficult with this sight.

43C is 12.4oz loaded with 8X40 grain
LCR is 15.7oz loaded with 8X40 grain.

The 43c is marginally smaller.

Both are ammo sensitive and you have to find ammo they like. Both revolvers, for me, do not like Minimags and the 43C also won't work well with CCI SV ammo although Velocitors are fine. Ammo sensitivity is demonstrated by: The cylinder locking up halfway through a firing session, rounds sticking in the cylinder, hammer strikes that do not ignite primers. I can not emphasize enough that you have to test a bunch of ammo in these and find something that is reliable for the revolver. The LCR is decidedly less finicky than the 43C which kind of drove me nuts trying to figure out how to get minimags to run in it. Ultimately I gave up and it happily chews up craptastic golden bullets.

Both will start to have problems extracting as the cylinder gets hot after maybe 3-5 cylinders rapid fire. The 43C more so.

I shoot the both about the same: 0.21-0.23 splits to a B8 black at 5 yards, and can pretty easily keep them all on a B8 at 15 yards with controlled sighted fire. 25 yard groups are extremely challenging and I am lucky to keep them all on a B8

The groups below are all 80 round groups, the 5 yard groups fired as fast as I could pull the trigger at 5 and the 15 yard at about a 1/second pace snatching the trigger as soon as I saw a sight picture.

I split the 43C marginally, like 0.01-0.02 faster.

Most importantly, I never short stroke the 43C, and I can and will short stroke the LCR when chasing splits about once a cylinder until I really adapt to the thing.

The 43C in general is jewel like, except the barrel, which spits lead to the top of the frame. Also the crown is pretty much non existent and difficult to get to with how the barrel is located in the frame. This spitting started early and has stayed stable and I am told by other 43C owners that it is "normal"

Those photos are from early ownership and I would actually say the lead is less bad now, somehow and I never really chipped it off much.

The 43C extractor star is a WTF example of terrible attention to detail, it works somehow but yuck.

The LCR Barrel is beautiful from forcing cone to crown, but the rest of the revolver feels less tightly assembled than the 43C, and, I guess "cheaper" in feel and assembly. But it also doesn't have the 43C's glaring flaws in small parts. It is put together nicely and consistently, it just feels cheap.

All in all if I had to keep one, it would be the 43C for the following reasons:

1. It is way lighter.
2. I don't short stroke it.
3. It is marginally smaller.
4. The overall package feels more quality over time.

That is saying a lot for me because I have bitched and moaned about the 43C quite a bit in my training journal. It has been drama with the lead spitting and ammo sensitivity. I just had to give up wanting to run my abundant supply of minimags through it and just use other ammo. The 43C also seems to have a decided break in period. New, out of the box, the Ruger ran circles around it.

Fact is I don't consider either of these serious self defense guns, not to say they won't work. I have sold all my small DA centerfire revolvers since I find them sucky to shoot and not any better to carry than a 9mm Glock. And I can shoot any 9mm Glock with a real round, at the same speed and better accuracy than either of these two .22 revolvers. However, these small .22s fun, great DA trainers, don't beat you up, and would be pretty safe for pocket carry.

gato naranja
12-19-2021, 04:41 PM

1. It is way lighter.

That is saying a lot for me because I have bitched and moaned about the 43C quite a bit in my training journal. It has been drama with the lead spitting and ammo sensitivity. I just had to give up wanting to run my abundant supply of minimags through it and just use other ammo. The 43C also seems to have a decided break in period. New, out of the box, the Ruger ran circles around it.

Fact is I don't consider either of these serious self defense guns, not to say they won't work. I have sold all my small DA centerfire revolvers since I find them sucky to shoot and not any better to carry than a 9mm Glock. And I can shoot any 9mm Glock with a real round, at the same speed and better accuracy than either of these two .22 revolvers. However, these small .22s fun, great DA trainers, don't beat you up, and would be pretty safe for pocket carry.

Well done.

The biggest problems I have historically had with pocket DA .22 revolvers are:

1. the triggers are frequently too much for the operator
2. the .22 rimfire cartridge - whether S, L, or LR - is maddeningly variable
3. the better their quality, the faster they seem to befoul themselves to a halt.

It's a little unfortunate that some of the older pocket calibers like .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W withered on the vine at around the same time genuinely local control of public school boards did; a fresh box of either necessitated at least a twenty mile drive to a genuine gun store by the time I was able to potter about with them. They were more reliable and - at least as far as I could determine for myself - more effective chamberings for a pocket carry revolver. That being said, the .22 rimfire ones were, as you say, far cheaper, more tractable, and just easier for the average family to justify keeping in use.

Wheeler
12-19-2021, 07:59 PM
I have around 2300 rounds documented through through my 43c and roughly that many more that I didn’t write down in my range log. Mine has the hammer spring from a 642 in it and runs quite well. I’ve not noticed any sensitivity to any particular brand of ammo other than accuracy. It’s also running steadily at a sub one percent failure rate with all ammo used, most of which was various bulk packs but a hefty mix of medium grade.

I’ve had shooting sessions that went in the multiple hundreds of rounds and while the extraction did get a bit sticky, it was never an obstacle to a reload. I’ve never had any lead buildup on the forcing cone but that recessed crown is an entirely different story but it’s not affected accuracy.

I’ve never seen anyone sing the praises of the XS Big Dot as a precision front sight however, I’ve managed to keep all eight shots in the head box of an IPSC target at fifteen yards.

I do carry my 43c daily. I use CCI Stingers and have good accuracy and reliability with them.

It’s prudent to note the Mini-Mags aren’t at the upper spectrum of quality .22LR ammo these days. It’s also prudent to note that Golden Bullets used to be considered an upper level ammo in terms of quality.

GJM
12-19-2021, 08:05 PM
Just saying….

nalesq
12-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Fact is I don't consider either of these serious self defense guns, not to say they won't work.

I also got a 43c primarily for cheap training/fun purposes, but the more I shoot it, the more I wonder whether all else (especially accuracy) being equal, being able to shoot 8 smaller projectiles faster is better than shooting 5 bigger projectiles more slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LJP
12-19-2021, 11:17 PM
This is an interesting read. Thank you for the post. I had been waiting on my LGS to get in a Ruger LCR .22 when I spied a 43c in the case. Although more expensive, it came home with me. I’ve yet to shoot it (no time), but thankfully have a decent supply of .22LR when the time comes. I’ve got holsters for both, so I wasn’t absolutely set on the LCR. The 43c is incredibly light weight. Fit and finish on mine is good, so it will be interesting to see how reliable it turns out to be.

GJM
12-23-2021, 05:22 PM
Earlier today, I shot my 43, LCR and 317.

The 43 is smaller, the trigger is decent, but I have to work harder with the sights than with the others.

The LCR has easier sights for me to use, especially with the front insert painted.

The 317 is so easy for me to shoot by comparison to either. The 43 is comfortable on eight inch steel at 7-10 yards, the LCR out to 15-20, but the 317 is upper A zone capable at 25 yards. With a midget round it is very nice to be able to put the shots exactly where you want.

03RN
12-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Earlier today, I shot my 43, LCR and 317.

The 43 is smaller, the trigger is decent, but I have to work harder with the sights than with the others.

The LCR has easier sights for me to use, especially with the front insert painted.

The 317 is so easy for me to shoot by comparison to either. The 43 is comfortable on eight inch steel at 7-10 yards, the LCR out to 15-20, but the 317 is upper A zone capable at 25 yards. With a midget round it is very nice to be able to put the shots exactly where you want.

Why is that? Is it just the sights/sight radius or is there another difference? Have you ever shot the 3" LCR X in 22? Where would you rate it?

jandbj
12-23-2021, 05:44 PM
I also got a 43c primarily for cheap training/fun purposes, but the more I shoot it, the more I wonder whether all else (especially accuracy) being equal, being able to shoot 8 smaller projectiles faster is better than shooting 5 bigger projectiles more slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^Same logic got me to a 351c (with a great trigger job) as an old man gun^
Albeit with 7 even better mousegun rounds instead of 8

GJM
12-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Why is that? Is it just the sights/sight radius or is there another difference? Have you ever shot the 3" LCR X in 22? Where would you rate it?

No experience with the LCRx.

Probably a number of reasons for the 317 — I have shot it many thousands of rounds, it is an old quality made pre lock revolver with a very shot in trigger, and real sights that can be regulated to a precise POA/POI.

StraitR
06-16-2022, 03:19 PM
With these two particular rimfire revolvers and the topic of small caliber pistols getting more attention over the last six months, I'm hoping more people have some time behind each. In short, is there a reason for a S&W revolver guy to forego the 43c and opt for the LCR? I'm strictly talking reliability. FWIW, I prefer S&W J frames to the LCR line in every way other than sights.

Doc_Glock
06-17-2022, 02:22 AM
With these two particular rimfire revolvers and the topic of small caliber pistols getting more attention over the last six months, I'm hoping more people have some time behind each. In short, is there a reason for a S&W revolver guy to forego the 43c and opt for the LCR? I'm strictly talking reliability. FWIW, I prefer S&W J frames to the LCR line in every way other than sights.

I don’t think so. I like the 43C better after a few thousand through both but it did have to go back to S&W to become reliable.

sharps54
06-17-2022, 08:31 AM
Thanks for bringing this back up, I have been thinking about a 43C recently as an alternative to my Keltec P32 when I need something as light as possible.

vaspence
06-17-2022, 06:02 PM
Thanks for bringing this back up, I have been thinking about a 43C recently as an alternative to my Keltec P32 when I need something as light as possible.

Just weighed both of mine as your comment made me curious. I used a cheap luggage scale.

43c loaded weight (8 rounds) 12.5oz
Keltec P32 loaded weight (7 rounds) 10oz

sharps54
06-17-2022, 06:29 PM
Just weighed both of mine as your comment made me curious. I used a cheap luggage scale.

Closer than I thought they would be!

Gsleeve1
06-25-2022, 10:24 AM
I have around 2300 rounds documented through through my 43c and roughly that many more that I didn’t write down in my range log. Mine has the hammer spring from a 642 in it and runs quite well.

I’ve never seen anyone sing the praises of the XS Big Dot as a precision front sight however, I’ve managed to keep all eight shots in the head box of an IPSC target at fifteen yards.

Thanks for the insights!

So you had a gunsmith replace the factory spring with a 642 spring? I'm wondering if that's why you're having better luck with your 43C?

And would you say it's easier to get a fast sight picture with the XS Big Dot vs a basic metal front ramp sight or would you prefer a set of sights on the 43C like the Ruger LCR 22lr has?

Gsleeve1
06-25-2022, 10:41 AM

But it also doesn't have the 43C's glaring flaws in small parts.

1. It is way lighter.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this post. Very, very helpful to me as I'm debating the two options!

I was wondering if the Hogue grips on the Ruger would be a plus or minus -- do you prefer one set of grips over the other? And would the Ruger grips be a nuisance in concealed carry because of their size and rubbery-ness?

Also, do you get the feel that the 43c will last longer than the Ruger without parts breaking - it sounds like some of the parts might not be made for a lifetime like heavier S&W revolvers?

Doc_Glock
06-25-2022, 07:16 PM
First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this post. Very, very helpful to me as I'm debating the two options!

I was wondering if the Hogue grips on the Ruger would be a plus or minus -- do you prefer one set of grips over the other? And would the Ruger grips be a nuisance in concealed carry because of their size and rubbery-ness?

Also, do you get the feel that the 43c will last longer than the Ruger without parts breaking - it sounds like some of the parts might not be made for a lifetime like heavier S&W revolvers?

No grip preference. Well, actually that is for shooting. For carry, yes I like the less rubbery 43C grips.

Heck if I know which will last longer without breaking? Both companies stand behind their products well regardless.

Moped
06-27-2022, 12:43 PM

Between these two, if the P32 is reliable (and mine is), I would have to opt for the P32. Smaller pistol, much easier to carry in a pocket, with a better defensive capability.

That being said, I can certainly understand one going with the 43c if you favor revolvers.

LupinIII
06-22-2023, 03:30 PM
Hate to revive an older thread, but this has been the best comparison I've seen between these two snubbies, by far.

Doc_Glock, did you use use speed loaders with these revolvers? I'm trying to figure out if 8-shot, .22 LR speed loaders from Speed Beez, 5-Star, etc. will work for both given they tend to have a little slop when rounds are loaded anyway.

And has your view changed at all, or is the 43C still your favorite between the two?

Doc_Glock
06-22-2023, 09:38 PM
Hate to revive an older thread, but this has been the best comparison I've seen between these two snubbies, by far.

Doc_Glock, did you use use speed loaders with these revolvers? I'm trying to figure out if 8-shot, .22 LR speed loaders from Speed Beez, 5-Star, etc. will work for both given they tend to have a little slop when rounds are loaded anyway.

And has your view changed at all, or is the 43C still your favorite between the two?

My view has not changed. I still like the 43C.

Speed loaders are not interchangeable. You need a separate one for the Ruger and S&W.

LupinIII
06-22-2023, 09:50 PM
Good to know! Unfortunate the loaders aren't cross compatible though.

Now to actually find a 43C locally I can handle . . .

Dr.J
06-23-2023, 07:23 AM
Good morning - new member with my first question. Based on what I’ve read on the forum, I’m going to buy a S&W 43c. I understand the potential leading problem at the forcing cone, but have read comments that suggest a similar problem at the recessed muzzle. How significant is the leading/fouling? Any other comments and/or suggestions pertaining to the gun would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

PS this forum is a great resource.

jandbj
06-27-2023, 05:42 PM
Good morning - new member with my first question. Based on what I’ve read on the forum, I’m going to buy a S&W 43c. I understand the potential leading problem at the forcing cone, but have read comments that suggest a similar problem at the recessed muzzle. How significant is the leading/fouling? Any other comments and/or suggestions pertaining to the gun would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

PS this forum is a great resource.

Muzzle leading accumulates but hasn’t been problematic for me with 12k through my first 43c. As far as the spitting at the forcing cone, if you have a competent old school revolver-smith in your area have the forcing cone throated and timing adjusted. It will nearly eliminate the spitting. Had that done on my 43c/63 pinto project and it’s worlds better than the other one.

CCT125US
06-27-2023, 07:19 PM
Bought a 43c, and put 80rds through it, sort of. Most of them went off, after working through a 12 -25lb variable pull weight, those that did, spit lead. Returned to the counter and mentioned the store warranty, which basically means I say gun broke, fix gun, and they handle everything. The star / ratchet was chewed up badly, likely causing the variable pull weight. The lead build up was thick, and I had chunks of lead on my arms. According to the shop smith, the timing notches (I believe that's what they are called) were not cut deep enough, and the forcing cone is too shallow. I should know more in 6-8 weeks, maybe. I purposely paid more for the convenience of the shop warranty, as I gave the 43c a 50/50 chance of destroying itself within short order. Didn't think it would happen so quickly.