PDA

View Full Version : Buckmark magazines - factory vs ProMag

Glenn E. Meyer
12-18-2021, 11:40 AM
Got a new Buckmark and want some more mags. I have about 8 factory but could use a few more for steel as reloading is pain at a match. So factory seems about $31 but ProMags are $17. However the reviews of the latter are mixed. Any experience? Since the match isn't life or death, saving a buck hit the mark. Haha.

MichaelD
12-18-2021, 01:51 PM
I've had but one experience with ProMags, and it was bad enough I'll never buy them again for any reason. Factory mags is definitely the way I'd go on this.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-18-2021, 02:00 PM
My Mini -14 mags stunk, IIRC. Thanks.

CCT125US
12-18-2021, 02:02 PM
You would be better off to take a torch to $17.

SD
12-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Pretty sure it was a Pro-mag that was given to me FREE, it would not feed hollow points. FWIW Buckmark new magazine bases are slightly thicker then the old metal base mags and they sometimes need a little extra pressure to click in secured or they fall out.

SD
12-18-2021, 02:16 PM

The new style still has a metal base, it is much bigger.

awp_101
12-18-2021, 02:38 PM
I’ve never knowingly bought a Promag in the past 15+ years based on their reputation. Normally I’d be willing to experiment to save a buck or several, but when there’s so much smoke over so many years, there’s bound to be a fire there somewhere.

I view Triple K mags the same way but their reputation might not be quite as bad.

4RNR
12-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Friends don't let friends buy ProMag!

Setting fire to your cash is a better way to utilize it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2021, 10:28 AM
It is amazing though, that a few little pieces of metal and springs cost $31. Oh, well. Big old AR mags are cheaper.

awp_101
12-19-2021, 01:29 PM
It is amazing though, that a few little pieces of metal and springs cost $31. Oh, well. Big old AR mags are cheaper.
The price of rimfire pistol magazines is something that’s stuck in my craw since I bought my first Buckmark in the early ‘00s.

The good ones are “expensive” and the cheap ones aren’t reliable but I’m not convinced it has to be that way. I think some of it is “this is what the market will bear, why change?” but unfortunately I don’t have the design skills/industry contacts/manufacturing capability to test my theory.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-24-2021, 10:28 AM
To complete this, I went to Cabelas and bought some Brownings for $31.95 each, which was the price on most online places. I added some points to my card and got to look around for fun. Didn't need to hassle with shipping, etc.

BTW, the store had tons of 40 SW and 223. No other handgun ammo except some Streak - tracer ish? Lots of handguns

Stopped at a Mom and Pop for French toast and Canadian bacon. Good day.

Stephanie B
12-25-2021, 08:15 AM
I've had but one experience with ProMags, and it was bad enough I'll never buy them again for any reason. Factory mags is definitely the way I'd go on this.

BT,DT. I bought one for a Hi-Power and it was a dumpster fire. I put it in a vise, flattened it, and tossed it into the recycling bin.

Caballoflaco
12-25-2021, 10:28 AM
To complete this, I went to Cabelas and bought some Brownings for $31.95 each, which was the price on most online places. I added some points to my card and got to look around for fun. Didn't need to hassle with shipping, etc.

BTW, the store had tons of 40 SW and 223. No other handgun ammo except some Streak - tracer ish? Lots of handguns

Stopped at a Mom and Pop for French toast and Canadian bacon. Good day.

FWIW inflation hasn’t hit Buckmark magazines yet, they were priced at 30+ dollars in the late 90’s which an online calculator tells me is about 55 usd in 2021 money.

OlongJohnson
12-25-2021, 01:56 PM
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/112055190

Bucky
12-26-2021, 08:53 AM
I’ve owned Promags for a few different guns. I’ve since learned ProMag is an acronym.

Please Remember Our Magazines Are Garbage

xtrtsqrt11
12-27-2021, 05:31 PM
I inherited a Buckmark when my Dad passed away.

He had two factory and two Promags. The factory get the most use from my 13 year old because they feel smoother and are easier to load. Haven't seen any reliability problems with the Promags, but I'm watching them and I do use them (just not as much as he uses the factory...). I've got about 200 rounds through them compared to my boy's about 1000 through the factory mags.

Buckmarks are a pain to disassemble for cleaning though! Otherwise great 22.

ETA: I'm not a Promag fan either. I bought some years ago when I didn't know better and wondered why they were so mediocre...

Borderland
12-27-2021, 05:50 PM
My rule of thumb is to always buy factory mags. Sometimes after market mags work but mostly they don't.

Your odds of winning at blackjack in Vegas are probably better and you'll have a lot more fun.