PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK Build - Aero 8 inch vs BCM 7 inch

FPS
12-09-2021, 12:18 AM
So I am ready to put together a 300 blackout build with a law tactical folder. Deciding between an 8 inch Aero Precision upper at around $400 vs a 7 inch BCM at $720. Not sure the BCM is worth the extra expense or not. First 300 blackout build so thought I would get some advice here first. Planning on shooting supers unsupressed (backpack gun). Sig Rattler not an option at this point :).

Totem Polar
12-09-2021, 12:33 AM
Paging Flamingo

He’d have a good opinion on that question.

Doc_Glock
12-09-2021, 08:54 AM
So I am ready to put together a 300 blackout build with a law tactical folder. Deciding between an 8 inch Aero Precision upper at around $400 vs a 7 inch BCM at $720. Not sure the BCM is worth the extra expense or not. First 300 blackout build so thought I would get some advice here first. Planning on shooting supers unsupressed (backpack gun). Sig Rattler not an option at this point :).

No experience with BCM. They have a quality reputation.

I do have an 8" Aero and it had a minor gas tube alignment issue when it arrived. I fixed that prior to shooting, however, and it has run perfectly for about 1000 rounds.

It likes a heavier H3 buffer in my experience. This is shooting suppressed.

I personally probably would not spend the extra for BCM. And in fact am overall questioning life choices given the price of 300BLK in general. I will say that everyone who shoots this rifle absolutely loves it.

HeavyDuty
12-09-2021, 09:10 AM
I’m going to read the mail here - I have a 7.5” 5.56 AR with LAW folder that I’ve been thinking about rebarreling to 300 BLK. I never wanted to add another chambering to the household, but then I went and bought a Rattler.

vaspence
12-09-2021, 09:43 AM
My 8” Aero in .300 is still one of my favorite deer rifles. Mine has been great suppressed/unsuppressed with supers.

Flamingo
12-09-2021, 09:49 AM
I don't have a BCM, but I have several Aero uppers in 300 BO. The one I shoot most often I have with a law folder.

The only 300 BO I have ever had any "issues" with is an early Ranier arms one that was built with a midlength gas system. And the only real issue with it is that is really throws a lot of GTF when I shoot it suppressed.

FPS
12-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback, going with Aero.

Rex G
12-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Well, if anyone still wants to comment on the BCM option, I would like to read it, as I have been sitting on the fence, about getting one of those 7” BCM uppers.

Thanks.

Clusterfrack
12-09-2021, 04:41 PM
All else equal, I’d go with BCM. But the handguard is a little short on the 7”.

ldunnmobile
12-09-2021, 07:33 PM
I have the BCM 7” and LOVE IT.

Nephrology
12-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable. I have a pair of Aero uppers (11.5" and 16" with stainless 223 wylde bbl) I sent for GB pinning and inspection/reassembly that have been great. the 16" is sub-MOA with 77gr factory match ammo and the 11.5" has ~1500 rounds without malfunction. I use Centurion BCGs in both guns FWIW.

If you are looking at Aero for the pricing I'd see if Midwest Industries or ADM have any complete uppers that fit the bill.

Cool Breeze
12-09-2021, 10:30 PM
BCM for the brand and qc.

As far as size... I would ask yourself where you would be carrying this in a backpack and how conspicuous you are OK looking. They both will fit in a backpack but big backpacks on dudes in public aren't exactly low key. I'd say smaller the better in that case. Plus maybe your backpack has room for other stuff.

If you just want something to fit in a backpack to go from house to car and back again (or through a hotel lobby) ...maybe that's not an issue.

Clusterfrack
12-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable.

Same with Palmetto. I dipped my toe into a 300 BLK pistol with a Palmetto 7.5" upper for $150 (at that time). It turned out to be a great upper, even after needing to tighten the gas block and discard the crappy handguard.

GyroF-16
12-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Same with Palmetto. I dipped my toe into a 300 BLK pistol with a Palmetto 7.5" upper for $150 (at that time). It turned out to be a great upper, even after needing to tighten the gas block and discard the crappy handguard.

I just bought one of those 7.7” PSA uppers. Do you happen to know the gas port size? I know the port on my Aero 8” upper is .109.
Just trying to get a starting point on the spring and buffer weight to use with the PSA, as I have arrived at a good combination for the Aero.

Clusterfrack
12-10-2021, 01:54 PM
I just bought one of those 7.7” PSA uppers. Do you happen to know the gas port size? I know the port on my Aero 8” upper is .109.
Just trying to get a starting point on the spring and buffer weight to use with the PSA, as I have arrived at a good combination for the Aero.

Sorry. I don’t. But I had good performance with an H3 buffer for supers and C for subs. As well, the Strike Industries short buffer system works well for all ammo I’ve tried.

Nephrology
12-10-2021, 07:31 PM

I had a palmetto upper that was fine too. 11.5" 5.56. Really gassy, maybe the gassiest upper I've ever shot. I think it came with a delta ring and I used magpul HGs. Was fun for flinging wolf downrange til I got rid of it.

The Aero handgaurds are OK. I do actually really like the skinny one I have on my 16" recce. It makes the rifle balance well without all the extra 1913 rail on the top that would serve no purpose on this gun anyway. I am sure there is a guccier version out there but I figure I will shoot my aero uppers til I've burned out the barrels and/or finally am out of training and have enough cash for fun new toys. With the round count I have put through them they clearly work fine and so far prove more than accurate enough for my needs.

FPS
12-10-2021, 11:20 PM
Aero is known to have QC/assembly issues so if you're comfortable with assessing/diagnosing/fixing small things then I think they're reasonable.

I thought they have been relatively good to go as of late. What have been the typical issues with uppers?

As far as size... I would ask yourself where you would be carrying this in a backpack and how conspicuous you are OK looking. They both will fit in a backpack but big backpacks on dudes in public aren't exactly low key. I'd say smaller the better in that case. Plus maybe your backpack has room for other stuff.

If you just want something to fit in a backpack to go from house to car and back again (or through a hotel lobby) ...maybe that's not an issue.

I had asked myself that and myself replied that I have no desire to be an urban commando so the second option.

mmc45414
12-11-2021, 07:36 AM
I bought a lot of Aero stuff last year, seems like during quarentine I was either drinking beer or working on ARs, probably most often drinking beer while I shopped for AR parts. Their stuff was all very nice and I was developing a pretty good brand loyalty, then they shipped me an assembled BCG with an extractor that didn't have a hook machined into it. And they were good about it, but when I called to follow up on the email I sent with pictures the friendly guy said the warranty department was really busy and he would send me a a shipping label as soon as he could.

But I still buy stuff from them, it is nice, but you are probably doing some of the QC. OTOH, I think they are big on finish and color matching, almost everything I bought was "blemished" and I never did find a single blemish.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk