PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Gen 3 Glocks

Savage Hands
12-08-2021, 06:49 PM
So being stuck in California we are limited to what is on California's handgun roster for new handguns or pay a premium (double to triple the retail) for used off roster handguns. Anyways, I was checking out some freshly made Gen 3 G17 and G19's today and I was very impressed with the barrel fit plus the triggers were very good IMO. I've decided to pick one up since I just want a full size handgun for the house without getting Epsteined on the price and all I own is compact and smaller right now. Ultimately I want a G45 but don't want to pay $1,200-1,500.00 right now used since I can swap slides with my G5 G19 MOS (I paid $1,500.00).

I'm hoping this Gen 3 17 performs well, or else it will cost the same as the G45 when all is said and done :o

4RNR
12-08-2021, 10:18 PM
I have a gen3 17 and 19. Both were bought used as former police trades. Both work fine and I've been using the 17 as a training class gun for a few years now. That being said they are gen3 when gen3 was the latest gen. Both early 00s

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dave Williams
12-08-2021, 11:07 PM
I carried a Gen 3 17 for years, great guns.

Nephrology
12-08-2021, 11:15 PM
my doublestack 9mm glocks are a 50/50 mix of gen3/gen4, really not tempted to replace them. Quite happy over many many thousands of rounds

Savage Hands
12-08-2021, 11:25 PM
I’ve owned about 30 different Glocks of 3rd, 4th, slimline and 5th Generation. I should have specified that the currently built Gen 3’s tolerances feel significantly improved over my handful of old Gen 3’s I’ve owned years ago.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Totem Polar
12-09-2021, 01:14 AM
FWIW, I bought one of the Lipsey P80 reissues when they came out—which is pretty much just a new Gen 3 G17 internally. It’s been great. Very reliable and easy to run. With a gadget and a - connector, I like the trigger better than my G45. Granted, there are some great things about the G45, 19X, and other full size Gen 5s (eg. the grip textures, sights, etc.) but if all I had access to was current production Gen 3s, it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Rex G
12-09-2021, 07:10 AM
I bought a Gen3 G26 this year, and found its trigger stroke to be the smoothest of any noew-in-box Glock I had ever bought, among multiple samples, each, of Generations 3, 4, and 5.

MGW
12-09-2021, 07:21 AM
There are a lot of Gen 3 Glocks for sale here. I even saw a new G3 34 last weekend. If I had to choose between a Gen 3 and a Gen 5 at almost three times the price I would pick a Gen 3 every time. Gen 5’s are good but not $1500 good.

JonInWA
12-09-2021, 07:45 AM
I have a Gen 3 G17, G19 and G21. They al shoot extremely well, were vetted years ago, have very nice triggers (thanks in part to a combination of judicious parts selections from OEM Glock components only, appropriate lubriction/lubricants and actual use and dryfire).

Would I like a Gen5? Sure, probably an G45. Do I have a comelling need for one? Nope. Are my Gen 3s obscelescent? Hardly. They've earned their position im my holsters for duty, EDC, home defense, and wilderness use.

Best, Jon

4RNR
12-09-2021, 08:49 AM
If Glock didn't come out with gen5 I would still be rocking my 19.3. I saw no reason to switch to gen4 on purpose. (Excluding any awesome deals) But 5 finally introduced fully ambi controls, and really that's the only reason I switched. Picked up a 17, 19, and 19X. Was carrying the 19 for a bit but have since moved to 19X and thinking of replacing it with the 45

M2CattleCo
12-09-2021, 09:54 AM
I’m still not convinced that the trigger spring arrangement on the Gen5 is as good as the Gen3. Yes, the Gen3 trigger spring can break and needs replacement every 10K or so, but that’s nbd.

The Gen4 and Gen5 triggers are generally god-awful compared to a Gen3.

The G45 is probably the most overhyped pistol in existence. It’s a Glock 19 with a longer grip. Nothing more.

Edster
12-09-2021, 10:16 AM
I’ve owned about 30 different Glocks of 3rd, 4th, slimline and 5th Generation. I should have specified that the currently built Gen 3’s tolerances feel significantly improved over my handful of old Gen 3’s I’ve owned years ago.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

I don't mean to sound nit-picky but can you elaborate on this or quantify it?

For a while, I had a 19.3, 17.4, and early 19.5. The 4th and 5th generations consistently produced noticeably smaller groups at 15+ yards. This was often side-by-side at the same range session and I saw differences in my scores at GSSF matches. The pistols were all stock OEM with same or similar sights.

I haven't really found a satisfactory explanation. In fact, I read a few people deny there was any difference at all. Glock touts the Gen 5 "Marksman" barrel but I didn't think that applied to Gen 4.

If it was tightening tolerances, did that somehow get applied to Gen 3? I am skeptical Glock would re-tool Gen 3 manufacturing.

Really, I'm guilty of hoping Glock changed something that would make new Gen 3s produce smaller groups.

4RNR
12-09-2021, 10:25 AM
The G45 is probably the most overhyped pistol in existence. It’s a Glock 19 with a longer grip. Nothing more.

Precisely why I like it and why I'm carrying the 19X, which is basically the same thing.
To make a long story longer....

The 19 is really as small as I go and still be able to get relatively comfortable and proper grip to draw with any kind of speed. There are exceptions... CZ P07/HK P2000 with the largest backstraps feel slightly better. The 1st gen Walter PPS with the largest back strap and extended mag. I was actually surprised the Ruger LCP MAX will the 12rd mag didn't feel all that bad. but generally anything smaller than a G19 grip and I'm playing with it to get a proper grip before shooting. Imagine Will Smith with that little gun in Men in Black but with E.T hands! That's the best way I can explain trying to grip most guns with smaller and thinner grips than a G19!

Why not carry the 19 then? I did, for years, and I found that no matter how much I practiced I was always faster and more accurate with the 17.

Since the early 00s I've probably spent multiple thousands of dollars on different compact/sub-compact guns trying to find something that I could carry and actually shoot in a self defense situation. Kahrs, Walthers, Shield, G43, G43X, Sig365, XL. Each hand their own issues. Walther PPS 1 and 43X came the closest with the grips but had other problems.

Meanwhile, all my daily carry guns have always been full size. Started with the Ruger P89, Beretta 92, S&W 5906, 4566, HK USP9, M&P45, G19. The 19 was the smallest gun I carried every day but I'm better with a full size grip so why not!

Rex G
12-09-2021, 11:33 AM
I’m still not convinced that the trigger spring arrangement on the Gen5 is as good as the Gen3. Yes, the Gen3 trigger spring can break and needs replacement every 10K or so, but that’s nbd.

The Gen4 and Gen5 triggers are generally god-awful compared to a Gen3.

I would stand in line, in the rain, for a Gen3 G45. ;)

The G45 format is my perfect “old man pistol,” with a grip that is long enough to bridge across the “gap” at the base of my hand, to firmly anchor against the “heel bone” of my hand, and the shorter barrel/slide that clears “leather” just a bit sooner, to make things easier on the wrist, elbow, and shoulder, which matters with IWB and other high-ridin’ holsters, and is especially important for those of us with a high waist, and long arms. My personal G45-ish sample is a G19x. A G19 has a grip which is just a bit too short, to anchor against the heel bone of my weapon hand, which is why I traded-away my three Gen4 G19 pistols, in 2020. I do, of course, highly value my recently-acquired Gen3 G26, but I will only be training with it in my healthier left hand. (It is not just a matter of discomfort. When I fired two 50-round quals, back-to-back, with two of my G19 pistols, in October 2017, my right thumb, wrist, and hand puffed-up, and discolored. Fortunately, my Glocks with G17-sized grips remain “orthopedic.”)

Rex G
12-09-2021, 11:37 AM
I should add that my recently-acquired-new G30s Short Frame has a notably decent trigger, too. IIRC, Short Frame Glocks are Gen3.

Savage Hands
12-09-2021, 12:03 PM
I don't mean to sound nit-picky but can you elaborate on this or quantify it?

For a while, I had a 19.3, 17.4, and early 19.5. The 4th and 5th generations consistently produced noticeably smaller groups at 15+ yards. This was often side-by-side at the same range session and I saw differences in my scores at GSSF matches. The pistols were all stock OEM with same or similar sights.

I haven't really found a satisfactory explanation. In fact, I read a few people deny there was any difference at all. Glock touts the Gen 5 "Marksman" barrel but I didn't think that applied to Gen 4.

If it was tightening tolerances, did that somehow get applied to Gen 3? I am skeptical Glock would re-tool Gen 3 manufacturing.

Really, I'm guilty of hoping Glock changed something that would make new Gen 3s produce smaller groups.

Not possible with a 10 day wait that just started and lack of practice ammo :o When I push the barrel down on this current one I'm buying it does not drop like older models I've owned, it feels like a well fitting drop in KKM IMO.
Yes my experience with most G4 and G5 Glocks mirror yours vs the G3, but if anyone here has had early G3's they would remember how sloppy the barrel fit was with the large factory chamber.
Tooling wears out all the time, product updates also happen behind the scenes without the public knowing.

ralph
12-09-2021, 12:54 PM
While I understand that in California Gen 3’s are all one can somewhat easily obtain, why anyone else in a free state would want one is beyond me..in the past, I’ve owned 7,8 (I’m not sure which) Gen 3,4 g19’s ALL of them had erratic ejection/BTF issues. A couple a Apex extractor didn’t help. The Gen 5 fixed that, and I wouldn’t consider any other generation of Glock, unless I could fire it first. I have one very early like new, in Tupperware box, Gen 3 g19 made in sept 1999, which runs like a champ, ejection is strong, to the right, not a hint of BTF, it’s a keeper. Myself, I gave up on Gen 3,4 Glocks….they’re not worth the trouble.

Savage Hands
12-09-2021, 01:30 PM
While I understand that in California Gen 3’s are all one can somewhat easily obtain, why anyone else in a free state would want one is beyond me..in the past, I’ve owned 7,8 (I’m not sure which) Gen 3,4 g19’s ALL of them had erratic ejection/BTF issues. A couple a Apex extractor didn’t help. The Gen 5 fixed that, and I wouldn’t consider any other generation of Glock, unless I could fire it first. I have one very early like new, in Tupperware box, Gen 3 g19 made in sept 1999, which runs like a champ, ejection is strong, to the right, not a hint of BTF, it’s a keeper. Myself, I gave up on Gen 3,4 Glocks….they’re not worth the trouble.

How did I forget about BTTF? I was one of Apex's testers for their extractor haha #facepalm Well I guess I'll be reporting back on how it goes, on a positive note I have the beta tester SCD that is going on it.

Mark D
12-09-2021, 01:39 PM
I've owned a bunch of Gen 3 guns. Generally, I've had good luck with them. They compare well to the few Gen 4s I've used.

Last year I went all-in on Glocks and bought two BNIB Gen 3 guns in the midst of covid. The chambers were much tighter than my existing Gen 3 glocks (and my HKs too, for that matter). I attributed it to worn tooling, and assumed that Glock was deferring tooling maintenance due to a) supply chain issues, and/or b) trying to keep up with unprecedented demand.

I had one of the chambers reamed, to better accommodate my reloads. That gun is now my training pistol and runs like a top. The other gun, a G26, exhibited repeated extraction issues. I sold it with full disclosure.

I'd buy Gen 5 pistols if they were available here, but they're not. In lieu of the Gen 5s, I'm perfectly happy with my vetted Gen 3s.

Cool Breeze
12-09-2021, 02:17 PM
For the uninformed on Cali gun laws - if it is not on the registry, how are gen 5 avail in California?

4RNR
12-09-2021, 02:51 PM
The BTF were early gen4 and late gen3 that was made at the same time as the early gen4. Gen 3 came out around 98ish and the brass to face didn't start until around 2010ish. Either way that's been fixed a long time ago. We're almost 12 years into gen4

757_Magnum
12-09-2021, 03:07 PM
For the uninformed on Cali gun laws - if it is not on the registry, how are gen 5 avail in California?

I lived in CA for a year before moving back to VA, and this was more than 10 years ago, so I might have forgotten some details. The roster only dictates what can be purchased new there, but in situations where someone moves into the state already owning the gun, performs a private purchase, or is gifted the firearm by an in-state relative, you can obtain an off-roster handgun. That's why a G45 would probably command such a high price there. In cases where you move into CA with a handgun not on the roster, you have to declare it within a certain period of time.

Cool Breeze
12-09-2021, 03:40 PM
I lived in CA for a year before moving back to VA, and this was more than 10 years ago, so I might have forgotten some details. The roster only dictates what can be purchased new there, but in situations where someone moves into the state already owning the gun, performs a private purchase, or is gifted the firearm by an in-state relative, you can obtain an off-roster handgun. That's why a G45 would probably command such a high price there. In cases where you move into CA with a handgun not on the roster, you have to declare it within a certain period of time.

Thank you for the clarification. I am actually surprised that California even allows that but it does explain how they are actually present and California and able to be transferred (albeit at a premium).

Savage Hands
12-09-2021, 03:49 PM

Also some Law Enforcement officers are exempt from the roster which also allows them to purchase it Glock blue label, the unscrupulous buy a bunch it at say $425 each with the intent to flip it for ~$1,000 more. Some made it a business and have went to prison.
Examples I just grabbed real quick
https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/former-torrance-police-officer-agrees-plead-guilty-illegally-acting-firearms-dealer-and
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-16/former-sheriffs-captain-pleads-guilty-to-illegal-off-roster-gun-sales
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-21/two-gardena-police-officers-convicted-of-illegally-selling-guns
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-atf-memo-20170412-story.html

ralph
12-09-2021, 04:23 PM
The BTF were early gen4 and late gen3 that was made at the same time as the early gen4. Gen 3 came out around 98ish and the brass to face didn't start until around 2010ish. Either way that's been fixed a long time ago. We're almost 12 years into gen4

Maybe, to this day I would NEVER trust a new Gen4, or Gen3 unless I could fire them first…I got screwed by Glocks brass to the face throwers too many times, I know better than to expect them to eject anywhere near properly out of the box. A brand new Gen5? No problem, probably the best Glocks made, I just wish they’d get around to making a Gen5 g21, no interest in a gen4 g21….Been there, done that, all I got was BTF..I’ll wait for a Gen5…

Wonder9
12-09-2021, 05:49 PM
Maybe, to this day I would NEVER trust a new Gen4, or Gen3 unless I could fire them first…I got screwed by Glocks brass to the face throwers too many times, I know better than to expect them to eject anywhere near properly out of the box.

I'm right with you. Glocks may not have been strong ejecting pistols, but I NEVER had a problem with Gen3 BTF until the 0bamamania/Gen4/MIM timeline. The Gen5 breechface cuts are what firmly brought me back to the Glock cult.

4RNR
12-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Maybe, to this day I would NEVER trust a new Gen4, or Gen3 unless I could fire them first…I got screwed by Glocks brass to the face throwers too many times, I know better than to expect them to eject anywhere near properly out of the box. A brand new Gen5? No problem, probably the best Glocks made, I just wish they’d get around to making a Gen5 g21, no interest in a gen4 g21….Been there, done that, all I got was BTF..I’ll wait for a Gen5…Like I said, there's a decade of no BTF. The issue was in the beginning of gen4, around 2010. When was the last time you heard of it happening? Also, what are the chances of getting new old stock that's over a decade old? And there's over two decades of gen3 not having BTF, just that time frame when the gen4 came out. Gen3 started in 1998 and still made today.

Personally I would not have switched from gen3 to 5 if it weren't for the ambi controls. 4 nor 5 do anything that 3 didn't. My 19.3 (2002ish still had restricted mags) had been running on rusty and worn springs for years without skipping a beat. Before me it was some Florida PD. I bought it around 2008 and never changed a thing. After years of shooting and daily carry in all weather plus whatever it's been through, if anything, in it's previous police life I gave it to a gunsmith in 2019 to thoroughly clean and change springs. The most I ever did was a drop of oil occasionally and a blast of air for the lint every so often.

Wonder9
12-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Like I said, there's a decade of no BTF. The issue was in the beginning of gen4, around 2010. When was the last time you heard of it happening? Also, what are the chances of getting new old stock that's over a decade old? And there's over two decades of gen3 not having BTF, just that time frame when the gen4 came out. Gen3 started in 1998 and still made today.

4RNR
12-09-2021, 08:04 PM
??????

Nephrology
12-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Maybe, to this day I would NEVER trust a new Gen4, or Gen3 unless I could fire them first…I got screwed by Glocks brass to the face throwers too many times, I know better than to expect them to eject anywhere near properly out of the box. A brand new Gen5? No problem, probably the best Glocks made, I just wish they’d get around to making a Gen5 g21, no interest in a gen4 g21….Been there, done that, all I got was BTF..I’ll wait for a Gen5…

I had BTF issues with my guns, fixed them, forgot about the whole thing. They run great. I even sent the slides off for milling for dots and everything.

ralph
12-09-2021, 09:40 PM
I had BTF issues with my guns, fixed them, forgot about the whole thing. They run great. I even sent the slides off for milling for dots and everything.

I was never quite that lucky..a couple of the g19’s I took the time to fool with, would work acceptably, but that’s it, they would still wing one at you, but considerably less often. As was mentioned above, the Gen 5 with the breechface cut solved the issue and that’s what brought me back to Glock.

SwampDweller
12-09-2021, 10:40 PM
I’m curious when these BTF Glocks were made/purchased? The screenshot on the previous page just shows a sticky from 2016 and this thread circled.

Disregarding the BTF thing, if Glock never progressed past Gen 3 I wouldn’t feel like they’re behind the curve or need updating.

FWIW my Gen 4 G21 does not BTF and has been completely reliable. If they come out with a Gen 5 I would definitely get one, but I wouldn’t give up my Gen 4 G21 for it as it has been vetted. Only thing I could be concerned about with the Gen 5 G21 is it having the second locking block pin removed. So far it seems like it hasn’t been a problem with the Gen 5s in .40, but I’m the kind of guy that wants at least a few years of track record before coming to conclusions on a new Gen of anything. I do love my Gen 5 G19 as well though, and I think the 9mm Glock has never been better than the current production Gen 5. That said, I don’t necessarily see them as better than a pre-MIM Gen 3. I don’t think they’re worse either, I think they’re about on the same level. The ambi slide lock doesn’t do anything for me but I don’t mind it either. But overall if Glock never came out with Gen 4 and 5 and was still only making Gen 3, I wouldn’t feel like it’s lacking compared to its other striker fired competitors. To the contrary, the track record is what makes it stand out above all its direct competitors in the polymer framed striker 9mm camp.

757_Magnum
12-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Savage Hands

So what's the best way to purchase a gen 3 G17 for a CA resident in the current climate? My uncle in San Diego asked for a suggestion for his first handgun, and my reply was the aforementioned Tupperware. Should I find the best price online and have him transfer to a local FFL, or would the cost and hassle be about the same as buying local?

Also, I plan to visit him in February. I assume there's still no issue with me bringing an off-roster handgun since I don't intend to sell it and I'm not a resident, correct?

Savage Hands
12-10-2021, 08:45 AM
@Savage Hands (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=49)

So what's the best way to purchase a gen 3 G17 for a CA resident in the current climate? My uncle in San Diego asked for a suggestion for his first handgun, and my reply was the aforementioned Tupperware. Should I find the best price online and have him transfer to a local FFL, or would the cost and hassle be about the same as buying local?

Also, I plan to visit him in February. I assume there's still no issue with me bringing an off-roster handgun since I don't intend to sell it and I'm not a resident, correct?

Just have him find a local dealer that has one in stock, transferring one in will be more expensive since CA dealers charge an extra fee of ~$100 for the headaches of a transfer. Locally they can go over everything and get him set up.

Bringing your personal off roster is not a problem, the law only pertains to buying one new. Just do not bring magazines over 10 rounds.

Savage Hands
12-10-2021, 08:50 AM
I’ve only had one Gen 4 made in late 2010 that had BTTF issues and even Apex’s extractor only improved ejection to not hit me in the face or shoulder but would fly over me instead. My G4 19 was one of the worst out of the testers and I was going to send it to Apex to get tuned.

vcdgrips
12-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Mid Thread Recap

1. CA has wonky gun laws such that Gen 3 Glocks are available for purchase at normal retail and Gen 4/Gen 5 significantly more, not widely available and potentially illegal to acquire new within the state of CA

2. Gen 3 guns today are at least as accurate as they always have been and perhaps more so

3. For me and most shooters, a gen 3 gun is plenty accurate enough

4. For me and most shooters, mixing and matching OEM trigger parts can produce a smoother, lighter, more predictable trigger pull relative to random "sets"

5. For me, I am well served by my braces of Gen 3 G34s and G35s.

6. The next Glock for folks like me ought to be an MOS model in 9mm or perhaps .40 so long as I have .40 caliber client agencies.

That is all.

Yute
12-10-2021, 12:32 PM
With the continued popularity of the Gen 3 Glock platform you would think Glock would release some factory MOS slides for them more widely. I've seen pics of Mk27 mod 1 and would be nice to have as an option.

HCM
12-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Like I said, there's a decade of no BTF. The issue was in the beginning of gen4, around 2010. When was the last time you heard of it happening? Also, what are the chances of getting new old stock that's over a decade old? And there's over two decades of gen3 not having BTF, just that time frame when the gen4 came out. Gen3 started in 1998 and still made today.

Personally I would not have switched from gen3 to 5 if it weren't for the ambi controls. 4 nor 5 do anything that 3 didn't. My 19.3 (2002ish still had restricted mags) had been running on rusty and worn springs for years without skipping a beat. Before me it was some Florida PD. I bought it around 2008 and never changed a thing. After years of shooting and daily carry in all weather plus whatever it's been through, if anything, in it's previous police life I gave it to a gunsmith in 2019 to thoroughly clean and change springs. The most I ever did was a drop of oil occasionally and a blast of air for the lint every so often.

Despite all the hype, Glocks have had poor ejection and been teetering on the edge of reliability since the beginning.

BTF pops up occasionally in all Gen 3/4 guns since Glock switched to the LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator) extractors. The issue being Glock started outsourcing production of the extractors to Third World countries and change the manufacturing process around that same time.

It has mostly been fixed but the real reason to go to the Gen 5 for serious use is the breechface cut to improve control of the case through the extraction and ejection cycle.

HeavyDuty
12-20-2021, 11:13 AM
With the continued popularity of the Gen 3 Glock platform you would think Glock would release some factory MOS slides for them more widely. I've seen pics of Mk27 mod 1 and would be nice to have as an option.

I thinking that might be enough of a change to require recertification?

HCM
12-20-2021, 11:40 AM
I thinking that might be enough of a change to require recertification?

It would.

Yute
12-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Yes, but they could sell complete slides individually without frames like they do now with non-MOS cut frames.

Mitch
01-28-2022, 10:54 AM
How did I forget about BTTF? I was one of Apex's testers for their extractor haha #facepalm (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=facepalm) Well I guess I'll be reporting back on how it goes, on a positive note I have the beta tester SCD that is going on it.

Any update on that?

Side, somewhat related note: Last week I bought a new G43. I was surprised to see it had the same breech face cut from the newer models. Any chance Glock has made this change across the board on all their 9mms. I.E., would a new production Glock 19 Gen 3 have the breech face cut?

Savage Hands
01-28-2022, 11:25 AM
Any update on that?

Side, somewhat related note: Last week I bought a new G43. I was surprised to see it had the same breech face cut from the newer models. Any chance Glock has made this change across the board on all their 9mms. I.E., would a new production Glock 19 Gen 3 have the breech face cut?

I have not shot it yet, I will post my finding when I do :cool:

High Cross
01-28-2022, 01:37 PM
I have a gen 3 Glock 19 I bought in 2004 that I have put through some pretty high volume round count courses and got shot weekly for years. Its had one stove pipe malfunction in its history. It happened when weak hand shooting and moving laterally.

ubervic
01-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Glock 17.3 is my favorite Glock and the only one that I currently own. Yes, I experienced the BTTF, and I remedied that condition by installing the Gen 4 ejector.

My 17.3 is rather old and quite worn, but she still runs great. Might pick up a new one as a project gun.

Savage Hands
01-29-2022, 01:12 AM
Yeah I’ve owned a bunch of Gen 3/4 9mm Glocks, I made this thread to see how the most recently produced Gen 3’s perform.

4RNR
01-29-2022, 01:23 AM
Despite all the hype, Glocks have had poor ejection and been teetering on the edge of reliability since the beginning.

BTF pops up occasionally in all Gen 3/4 guns since Glock switched to the LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator) extractors. The issue being Glock started outsourcing production of the extractors to Third World countries and change the manufacturing process around that same time.

It has mostly been fixed but the real reason to go to the Gen 5 for serious use is the breechface cut to improve control of the case through the extraction and ejection cycle.

Idk, my old gen 3 always seem fine ejecting but to be fair I put ammo in one end and bullets come out the other. If everything in between functions I don't care if the brass falls on my feet or the next zip code. I'm not measuring distance or comparing to other guns. Is there supposed to be a set foot distance a handgun should throw brass?

GearFondler
01-29-2022, 02:26 AM
Idk, my old gen 3 always seem fine ejecting but to be fair I put ammo in one end and bullets come out the other. If everything in between functions I don't care if the brass falls on my feet or the next zip code. I'm not measuring distance or comparing to other guns. Is there supposed to be a set foot distance a handgun should throw brass?

Sent from my moto z4 using TapatalkFrom what I gather, all your ejecting brass should achieve at least 300fps, travel at least 10ft, and all land inside a shot glass.

HeavyDuty
01-29-2022, 07:05 AM
The Apex extractor is still the gold standard for dealing with BIF, right?

HCM
01-29-2022, 07:51 AM
The Apex extractor is still the gold standard for dealing with BIF, right?

It’s one solution.

If the gun still has the old 336 ejector upgrading the to the 30274/75 and/or replacing the extractor plunger / spring with the White Sound Defense HRED also effective fixes.

If the factory extractor drops out when the safety plunger during disassembly (meaning it moves freely) it should be OK. If it has to be pried out you either need to polish the top/bottom or replace the extractor.

HeavyDuty
01-29-2022, 08:05 AM
It’s one solution.

If the gun still has the old 336 ejector upgrading the to the 30274/75 and/or replacing the extractor plunger / spring with the White Sound Defense HRED also effective fixes.

If the factory extractor drops out when the safety plunger during disassembly (meaning it moves freely) it should be OK. If it has to be pried out you either need to polish the top/bottom or replace the extractor.

Good info - thanks! None of my current ones bean me, but I just know it will happen again at some point.

HammerStriker
01-29-2022, 11:23 AM

I've had the BTF issue with a Gen 3 and 4 19, but not with my Gen 3 17. Have never shot a Gen 5 19, glad to hear that Gen doesn't have the issue. Good to know that the Apex extractors are not a fix, you saved me some money.

HammerStriker
01-29-2022, 11:32 AM

The BTF issue was never fixed, I purchased both a Gen 3 and Gen 4 19 maybe 5 - 6 years ago, BTF pretty regularly. At least back then it was still an issue, hopefully it is fixed now. I guess I'll find out, since I'm picking up a new Gen 3 19 next week.

HammerStriker
01-29-2022, 11:44 AM

My CZ p01 ejects brass so hard I feel like I'm inside of a pinball machine when shooting at a range with dividers between lanes. Once in a while I get BTF with my CZ, but its after the ejected casing has bounced off of the divider, ceiling, and onto my head. Wear a hat when shooting your CZ!

JonInWA
01-29-2022, 04:17 PM
My CZ p01 ejects brass so hard I feel like I'm inside of a pinball machine when shooting at a range with dividers between lanes. Once in a while I get BTF with my CZ, but its after the ejected casing has bounced off of the divider, ceiling, and onto my head. Wear a hat when shooting your CZ!

Or change your recoil spring; excessive ejection force/empty case ejection distance can be a great clue that it's time to replace.

Best, Jon

Mitch
01-29-2022, 09:01 PM
Any update on that?

I checked out a new gen 3 19 at a store this week. It does NOT have the new breech face cut. Knowing that, I probably wouldn’t buy one if a gen 5 was an option.

4RNR
01-29-2022, 11:34 PM
The BTF issue was never fixed, I purchased both a Gen 3 and Gen 4 19 maybe 5 - 6 years ago, BTF pretty regularly. At least back then it was still an issue, hopefully it is fixed now. I guess I'll find out, since I'm picking up a new Gen 3 19 next week.The ones I'm talking about are early 00s so gen3 from 20 years ago.
My CZ p01 ejects brass so hard I feel like I'm inside of a pinball machine when shooting at a range with dividers between lanes. Once in a while I get BTF with my CZ, but its after the ejected casing has bounced off of the divider, ceiling, and onto my head. Wear a hat when shooting your CZ!Yes the glock brass bounces off the walls. Haven't tested the impact velocity or energy but they bounce off the walls. So do the ones out of my 226, and the P07, and the 5906...

Bucky
01-30-2022, 08:13 AM

My HK P2000 ejects better than any of my guns. Not quite as strong as my 92 Compact, but you can collect muh of your brass from a 3 foot radius.

Back on topic, what would Glock need to add to the Gen 5 to make them compliant? Thumbs safety? Mag safety?

HammerStriker
01-30-2022, 12:56 PM
Or change your recoil spring; excessive ejection force/empty case ejection distance can be a great clue that it's time to replace.

Best, Jon

I was being hyperbolic, my P01 ejects as it should.

HammerStriker
01-30-2022, 01:00 PM
My HK P2000 ejects better than any of my guns. Not quite as strong as my 92 Compact, but you can collect muh of your brass from a 3 foot radius.

Back on topic, what would Glock need to add to the Gen 5 to make them compliant? Thumbs safety? Mag safety?

I have owned a lot of different pistols, the only handguns that have had ejection problems are my Glock 19s (Gen 3 & 4). CZs eject casings as they should, so does my M&P 2.0, and every other pistol I've owned: Walther PPQ, multiple 1911s, Springfield XD, Sig P226...and a couple others I'm probably forgetting. Ejecting the casing away from the shooter's face seems like a pretty basic thing that every modern firearms should be able to accomplish. Just my opinion.

The CA "safe handgun roster" is a can of worms, and I don't think it was the subject of OPs thread. It is basically impossible for new handguns--like the Gen 5 Glocks--to make the list. Search "CA microstamping" and you'll see what I mean.

Savage Hands
01-30-2022, 04:09 PM

Magazine disconnect, a more prominent LCI and microstamping...

Glockman9mm
01-31-2022, 08:24 PM
I got a 2020 made G19 Gen. 4 to match my carry pistol made in 2013. The 2020 model had erratic ejection so I installed the Gen. 5 G26 ejector. Ejects great now. I also put this ejector in a couple of older Gen. 3s and improved them greatly. I would try the Gen.5 G26 ejector before any other fixes.