PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP II .22LR Lite Rack

johnnywitt
12-04-2021, 04:39 PM
I watched the hilarious Paul Harrell YT Video on this gun where PH repeats the full name & caliber of the pistol throughout the whole video. Paul is a pretty funny guy. In the end, he didn't recommend the pistol; however, Lucky Gunner did recommend the gun. What do you Folks think about this gun? I just bought one of recent vintage, but haven't gotten to shoot it yet. I bought it for a fun plinker because I really enjoy shooting small mouse Guns, but .25 & .32 are pretty cost prohibitive at this juncture. Hell, even .22 Shorts are kinda expensive nowadays. I plan to remove the mag safety on the pistol and maybe Dremel down the thumb safety so that it doesn't activate on me. I don't see a good reason for these safeties on this pistol at all except that it's RF and if it's dropped just right it could go bang I guess. I'm willing to take that risk though. Also, the sights suck pretty bad, so I plan to paint them.

willie
12-04-2021, 05:10 PM
I too am interested in one of these. On a plinker the mag disconnect should not matter. You might have a lemon or find the pistol not to your liking and suggest not altering it too soon. If sent back to Ruger, they would return it to original status.

Leroy Suggs
12-04-2021, 05:30 PM
I have one i used during the ammocovid.
Shot around 4,000 rounds and it was excellent.
Reliable and accurate.
I recomend it.

DanT
12-06-2021, 07:12 AM
I bought one a few months ago and enjoy it. It's a good plinking gun, easy to conceal and I've had no trouble with it plus my wife enjoys it too.

johnnywitt
12-06-2021, 12:16 PM
Yes, good advice not modifying the pistol till you've shot a couple thousand, or so through it. If you watch the YT Galloway Precision Video, it shows how to delete the Mag Disconnect 'Safety' & it's pretty straightforward operation. The Thumb Safety could be a simple Dremel Job and just Dremel off the tab. That way you could leave the safety and still see the gun was off safety in case somebody picked it up the red tab would still be visible. The issue with leaving the safety on there is that when the slide is racked the safety has a tendency to self activate kinda like a Ruger O/U Shotgun:D. At least with the shotgun you know 100% that this is going to happen.

Clusterfrack
12-06-2021, 01:48 PM
...when the slide is racked the safety has a tendency to self activate...

I hate this. It's one of the reasons I dislike slide-mounted levers.

revolvergeek
12-08-2021, 06:42 PM
I have had excellent results with mine. I bought it used, so no idea of total round count. It was a little picky at first (I just started shooting it without scrubbing it) and initially worked great with CCI Mini Mags/velocitors / stingers but wouldn't fire maybe 20% of cheap Federal bulk, so I really scrubbed it. Detailed everything and chucked a bore brush in a power drill and got the chamber spotless. Lubed it with a bit of red synthetic grease and it runs like a sewing machine now. Right at 400 rounds mixed of CCI Mini Mag RN and cheap Federal bulk pack hps since the last cleaning with no malfunctions at all. No recoil and fun to shoot. Not really a target gun but that may be as much my need for a new set of glasses as the gun itself (it has a bucket of a rear sight). My 22 LCR didn't like getting sweated on this past Louisiana summer, so this little guy will get a lot of outdoors use for yard work, grass mowing, fence line work, etc for snake duty.

Hideeho
12-08-2021, 08:51 PM
I own two. No problems with either. They are great little pistols. Paint the tiny front sight with the color of choice fluorescent paint. The weakness with the platform is ammunition. Inconsistent ignition across major brands. It caused me to switch to the LCP Max as carry gun and the LCPII as trainer.

johnnywitt
01-15-2022, 06:11 PM
I own two. No problems with either. They are great little pistols. Paint the tiny front sight with the color of choice fluorescent paint. The weakness with the platform is ammunition. Inconsistent ignition across major brands. It caused me to switch to the LCP Max as carry gun and the LCPII as trainer.

Maybe a Galloway Spring Kit would help with the ignition problems, IDK.

Me, haven't been able to go to the range due to me and the Wife's health issues- sucks! Can't wait to try the little gat with different types of ammo that it might like. I hear these Guns like the Aguila Super Extra 36gr HP and they also like Armscor 36gr HP too. I have a lot of CCI Blaser 40gr and some Fiocchi. I've heard they like the Fiocchi as well. We'll see & I will keep you Folks notified as I put Rounds through it and the saga of running and breaking in another little .22 pea shooter unfolds;)

Hideeho
01-15-2022, 06:53 PM
Maybe a Galloway Spring Kit would help with the ignition problems, IDK.

Me, haven't been able to go to the range due to me and the Wife's health issues- sucks! Can't wait to try the little gat with different types of ammo that it might like. I hear these Guns like the Aguila Super Extra 36gr HP and they also like Armscor 36gr HP too. I have a lot of CCI Blaser 40gr and some Fiocchi. I've heard they like the Fiocchi as well. We'll see & I will keep you Folks notified as I put Rounds through it and the saga of running and breaking in another little .22 pea shooter unfolds;)

I’ve got the Galloway short trigger and spring kit. I think it’s the challenge of rimfire vs centerfire. I am experimenting with Federal Punch 29gr. Used to carry Velocitor. Best luck with ignition has been with Stingers. Since getting the LCP Max I haven’t given much thought to wringing on my LCPIIs. But now that you have me thinking about it, I’ll try to make this Monday at the range an all .22 day.

Polecat
01-16-2022, 04:55 PM
I like mine, got rid of the .380 max, really poor quality, sent it in for metal shards on left slide cuts, uneven edges, depth etc. trigger would drop only when trigger was all the back. Love the concept, but!

I would love a 10 rnd .32 based off the G1 LCP! I love shooting my little Taurus TCP .32

DrkBlue
01-16-2022, 09:00 PM
I like mine, got rid of the .380 max, really poor quality, sent it in for metal shards on left slide cuts, uneven edges, depth etc. trigger would drop only when trigger was all the back. Love the concept, but!

I would love a 10 rnd .32 based off the G1 LCP! I love shooting my little Taurus TCP .32

.32? I would be in for that. 👍

One of the Best Buy’s ever was a Keltec P32. Tiny and light gun, but seems to be a killer combo of the right cartridge and right platform. .32 strikes me as a nice compromise round in small pistols.

Hideeho
01-17-2022, 06:29 PM
I put 150 rounds through one of my LCPIIs this morning, firing 50 rounds each of Punch, Velocitor, and Interceptor, through 15 separate magazines. Started with Federal Punch. Second magazine of the day, third round in magazine, a failure to ignite. The case had a deep firing pin imprint. The randomness of failing to ignite makes me skittish on rimfire in a pistol. It could just of easily been the second round in first magazine. I feel differently about revolvers chambered in .22 LR. You can pull the trigger so fast on a 43C that the occasional fail to ignite can be overlooked. Like others, I would love an LCPII in .32 ACP.

Gun Mutt
04-28-2022, 04:48 AM
My 22 LCR didn't like getting sweated on this past Louisiana summer...

I love my .22 LCR, curious to know what went on with yours.

I was gifted a .22 LCP this past weekend. Fun little pistol, I look forward to wringing it out and hopefully finding ammo that it feeds with what Leroy Suggs described as "boring reliability" with his sample.

I'd planned a short range visit around my .22 LCR and it was no surprise that the fresh out of the box LCP didn't much care for the CCI rounds in the tennis ball can of cheap range ammo I'd brought with me. Started getting failures to extract after a few mags of the cheap stuff and one failure to fire, but with a helluva dent on the rim.

3 mags of Federal Punch fed just fine, but another failure to fire with a significant strike mark. Both of the dented rounds fired on the first strike through the LCR.

Doc_Glock
04-28-2022, 10:45 AM
I like the .22 LCP. But I don't trust it.

Unexplained failures to fire or extract randomly with a clean gun and various ammo have it on range toy only status. Which is too bad because it pocket carries nicely.

feudist
04-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Mine feeds Minimags reliably but has about a 5% light strike rate.
I ordered an Mcarbo Xtra power hammer spring kit and am having that installed. Hopefully it'll be the fix.
Really like the piece as a "Pocket Strike" second gun.

revolvergeek
05-03-2022, 12:56 PM
I love my .22 LCR, curious to know what went on with yours.

I was gifted a .22 LCP this past weekend. Fun little pistol, I look forward to wringing it out and hopefully finding ammo that it feeds with what Leroy Suggs described as "boring reliability" with his sample.

I'd planned a short range visit around my .22 LCR and it was no surprise that the fresh out of the box LCP didn't much care for the CCI rounds in the tennis ball can of cheap range ammo I'd brought with me. Started getting failures to extract after a few mags of the cheap stuff and one failure to fire, but with a helluva dent on the rim.

3 mags of Federal Punch fed just fine, but another failure to fire with a significant strike mark. Both of the dented rounds fired on the first strike through the LCR.

My LCR frankly just seemed to be less tolerant of being drowned in sweat while I was working in the yard in high 90s temps with high 90s humidity than the other guns I had used in that role. Sweat seemed to get into it at the frame junction and the internals would get covered with rust. I never had that problem with any of the other 22, 38 or 44 revolvers that I carried around like that. It never stopped working, but it just seemed to require a little more routine maintenance than some of the others. That combined with a worse trigger even when clean and lubed (heavier and hitcher) than basically any of my other revolvers just turned me off towards it. It isn't that it is a bad gun, but that I have other things that are better for what I am doing.

My LCP II continues to work great and runs like a sewing machine with good ammo. I will get the occasional light strike with Federal 37 grn HV HP once it starts getting dirty. It loves CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors. Every 500-600 rounds I will wipe it out, re lube and clean the chamber with a bore brush chucked into an electric drill. 5 minutes and it is ready to go again. I found a brand new Veridian green laser for it cheap and but it on there but it is a total PoS. Every couple of weeks it has to be rebooted by pulling out the battery and putting it back in. I would sell it but I can't in good conscious curse somebody else with it.

feudist
05-05-2022, 02:54 PM
Took my MCARBO extra power hammer spring equipped LCP .22 to the range.

No joy.

65th round failure to fire with CCI Minimags, which are the only rounds it feeds reliably.

Previously tested Velocitors, Federal Black, Eley 10X, Eley Match. 730 total through 5 mags.

Le sigh.

Gun Mutt
05-06-2022, 11:40 AM
Cleaned & lightly lubed my LCP and painted the front sight, packed a range bag with 100 CCI Mini-mags and hope to be out of work in time to make it to the range for a function test...fingers crossed.

Gun Mutt
05-07-2022, 07:07 AM
100rds of Mini-mags ran 10x10...pretty fekkin fun, too. Since I'm now at a whopping 108 flawless rounds of Mini-mag, I'll reserve all my Punch for my LCR which has yet to misfire on anything I've fed it.

Painted front sight definitely helps, and in the piss poor lighting of this particular, incredibly convenient, range, any visual assist is welcome. Extremely easy for me to point low, the orange sight gives me much better visual feedback and confirmation. My left hand shooting needs a lot more familiarity with this little pistol.

I'm treating this as very much it's own platform, with a specific manual of arms, ie; I plan to use the awkward safety, so all of my dry work has included that manipulation, mainly from the pocket, but also from atop the coffee table or counter. Mine will only be carried in a pocket holster, and whatever holster that ends up being, will leave me room to disengage the safety as I slide my hand in my pocket. Nice touch that Ruger includes one in the box, but that damn thing has not stayed in my pocket once.

Leroy Suggs
05-07-2022, 07:55 AM
Gun Mutt The Nemisis #G3 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=G3) works well for me.

Mine has now gone just shy of 5,000 rounds with one failure. A failure to eject and double feed.
Had 11 misfires in 5,000 rounds, all of which I attribute to the rimfire priming.

Doc_Glock
05-07-2022, 12:17 PM
Okay I may have this little gun’s number.

Run it clean and completely dry. No dry lube, no lube at all. It just leads to fouling the thing up faster.

100 rounds of Minimags cycled fine in this manner even with rapid firing as fast as I could replace the magazine. I had ten loaded.

However I had four failures to ignite. Three fired with a second hit and one was not firing for any reason.

I think the hammer spring is either too light or worn out after 3000 rounds.

I found a Galloway kit with an increased power hammer and decreased firing pin Spring and ordered it. If this works to get rid of these intermittent ignition failures it may be worthy of the pocket.

Gun Mutt
05-08-2022, 08:11 AM
Gun Mutt The Nemisis #G3 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=G3) works well for me.

Mine has now gone just shy of 5,000 rounds with one failure. A failure to eject and double feed.
Had 11 misfires in 5,000 rounds, all of which I attribute to the rimfire priming.

Thanks for chiming in with a round count update. I got a Nemesis for my LCR and promptly discovered that almost all of my pockets seem to be rounded and fight with the flat bottomed Nemesis.

I can't find a pic I can copy/paste, much less a video of one in use, but I'm intrigued by the Rock N'Guns Pocket Rock-It (https://rocknguns.com/product/the-pocket-rock-it-holster/). As an experiment, I took an old Zack (trigger guard device) for a G43 that sorta fit the LCP and rigged paracord just long enough to attach to my belt loop with the LCP sitting all the way down in the pocket. For the life of me, I can't figure out how the hell the cord is supposed to stay out of the way to establish a grip with my hand in the pocket.

Doc_Glock, I hope the spring kit works better for you than it did for feudist at post 18.

feudist
05-08-2022, 08:17 AM
Okay I may have this little gun’s number.

Run it clean and completely dry. No dry lube, no lube at all. It just leads to fouling the thing up faster.

100 rounds of Minimags cycled fine in this manner even with rapid firing as fast as I could replace the magazine. I had ten loaded.

However I had four failures to ignite. Three fired with a second hit and one was not firing for any reason.

I think the hammer spring is either too light or worn out after 3000 rounds.

I found a Galloway kit with an increased power hammer and decreased firing pin Spring and ordered it. If this works to get rid of these intermittent ignition failures it may be worthy of the pocket.

It didn't help mine. I'm going to send mine to Ruger. Anyone know if they've fixed the issue?

Hideeho
05-08-2022, 10:44 AM

I have Galloway and MCarbo triggers kits installed. Still have fail to ignite issues. Otherwise, no function issues. Love the LCPII's form factor, I carried one in each front pocket. But I stopped carrying because of ignition issues. 351C/43C took their place.

Doc_Glock
05-08-2022, 12:05 PM
It didn't help mine. I'm going to send mine to Ruger. Anyone know if they've fixed the issue?

I have Galloway and MCarbo triggers kits installed. Still have fail to ignite issues. Otherwise, no function issues. Love the LCPII's form factor, I carried one in each front pocket. But I stopped carrying because of ignition issues. 351C/43C took their place.

Well crap. Anyone know if Wolff sells a hammer spring for this thing that is higher powered?

Hideeho
05-08-2022, 04:13 PM
Well crap. Anyone know if Wolff sells a hammer spring for this thing that is higher powered?

I don't think the inherent weaknesses of .22 rimfire primers can be overcome by mechanical adjustments to pistols. One of the reasons .25 ACP was created was rimfire primer issues. Ruger, please turn the LCPII or Max into a .25 or .32 ACP pistol.

feudist
05-08-2022, 04:16 PM
I don't think the inherent weaknesses of .22 rimfire primers can be overcome by mechanical adjustments to pistols. One of the reasons .25 ACP was created was rimfire primer issues. Ruger, please turn the LCPII or Max into a .25 or .32 ACP pistol.

Or add a second firing pin, like the old Henry rifle.

Hideeho
05-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Or add a second firing pin, like the old Henry rifle.

How about a railroad spike instead?

feudist
05-08-2022, 04:23 PM
How about a railroad spike instead?

My days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle...

JHC
05-09-2022, 03:42 PM
From Ellifritz

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/my-thoughts-on-the-ruger-lcp-22-pistol?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email