PDA

View Full Version : Rigel Updates (and news)

Dark Star Gear
12-04-2021, 02:49 PM
We're coming into the 5th or 6th year of the Rigel and even longer for the Orion as configured. We've got some cool things in the works as we transition our shop from our current location to a larger facility, while adding enough people to take our treading water on lead times to days at most. The biggest change coming forward though has to be on the product side. I'm still quite happy with what our current line offers, multiple attachments, we've been able to absorb some changes in the attachment world as well, but we've also always tried to build what folks wanted.

What doesn't the Rigel do that folks want/need in a WML holster? What changes should we make? What's stopped you (WML carriers) from trying one?

Things that are currently off the table:
Universal fit... Not our bag, and the world doesn't need another one. We did a concept some time ago, prior to the VG3 being widely known (it's an ooooooold holster), and there are just too many concessions that need to be made to make it fit in line with our main product line. The Floodlight works great if that's what you need. Everyone should probably have one. And the concession part, there aren't any with the Floodlight. With how we do things, universal doesn't work quite how we want to keep things congruent in design.
Monoblock... Top mount attachments are inferior and impart too much bending on the shell. More so, the HLR clips are better, they have full support under the tooth and have the right spring tension to keep the clip closed.

Things that are happening:
New Surefire model
Modlite model
TLR-7 potential as our production capacity ramps up.

GearFondler
12-04-2021, 05:47 PM
I'm hoping that a company I trust will be offering holsters for the upcoming Cloud Defense WML, and I include you, Phlster, and Henry Holsters on that short list.

orionz06
12-04-2021, 05:52 PM
I'm hoping that a company I trust will be offering holsters for the upcoming Cloud Defense WML, and I include you, Phlster, and Henry Holsters on that short list.

They have stated that they are working with holster manufacturers to offer something at launch, but none of the names on that list will have anything and have not heard a peep. They are on my list right after Modlite, but I'd need lights in order to offer anything.

I do understand that they're in the prep phase still...

GearFondler
12-04-2021, 05:58 PM
They have stated that they are working with holster manufacturers to offer something at launch, but none of the names on that list will have anything and have not heard a peep. They are on my list right after Modlite, but I'd need lights in order to offer anything.

I do understand that they're in the prep phase still...Yeah... My feelings exactly. I'm not exactly excited about who they may be working with and I'll probably just wait until one of you guys can make it happen.

Bergeron
12-04-2021, 06:23 PM
I’m excited to hear of another well-regarded manufacturer offering TLR-7 holsters.

newyork
12-04-2021, 08:01 PM
A Rigel OWB for M&P/X300.

littlejerry
12-04-2021, 08:06 PM
TLR7 compatibility is probably #1 for me.

Wider hole spacing to allow DCC clips to straddle a belt loop.

Up1911Fan
12-04-2021, 09:15 PM

Both of these. I've wanted a TLR-7 version since the light was released.

orionz06
12-05-2021, 05:33 PM

The #1 reason for the change is wider spacing. TLR7 for a G17 is coming right after the Modlite for G34.

The main driver is actually shifting to DCC's as the primary clip choice over the wider clip. We needed to have some other hardware bits shored up first, and now that we've got it, we can move in that direction on all holsters.

littlejerry
12-05-2021, 05:36 PM
The #1 reason for the change. TLR7 for a G17 is coming right after the Modlite for G34.

My preference is G19 w/ TLR7 and RDS cut.

I have a JMC AIWB on the way because you didn't have anything.

orionz06
12-05-2021, 05:40 PM
My preference is G19 w/ TLR7 and RDS cut.

I have a JMC AIWB on the way because you didn't have anything.

The 17 isn't appreciably longer and the rounding we do will help there, it also covers certain duty request we've had. Optic cuts will be standard, no choice, but we're also covering the rear sight and some of the optic mounting plate interface as well. Rear sight protection is a must, along with an easier to mod sweatguard, and reholstering shielding.

With what we got going on we can stick to the design principles we've always done, reduce sku's and options for dealers, as well as cut down on what we need to make.

littlejerry
12-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Optic cuts will be standard, no choice, but we're also covering the rear sight and some of the optic mounting plate interface as well. Rear sight protection is a must, along with an easier to mod sweatguard, and reholstering shielding.

Music to my ears. Shielding the rear sight and part of the optic is a must.

If you offer it in orange carbon fiber I'll place the order today.

theJanitor
12-07-2021, 01:32 PM
Reshape the lips at the light bezel, so it doesn't get stuck when using an x300V. Currently, if you push the pistol too far, the kydex clamps the groove in the x300v head and wont let go of the gun.

theJanitor
12-07-2021, 01:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211207/fa9289044aa4ceb34f018567a151c9bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hstanton1
12-07-2021, 08:53 PM
I’m really excited about this, an Orion with an optics cut that protects the rear sight/optic body and wide set DCC clips is my dream holster. I’ll be buying at least two when these changes come out.

Quixotic
12-13-2021, 12:45 AM
Is Dark Star ever gonna make a Rigel for other firearm makes? I'd love one for the PDP and P30.

orionz06
12-22-2021, 11:57 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211207/fa9289044aa4ceb34f018567a151c9bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no explicit X300V support, but a quick trim on the holster will alleviate that.

orionz06
12-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Is Dark Star ever gonna make a Rigel for other firearm makes? I'd love one for the PDP and P30.

At some point, just need to see what works numbers wise. There is some unpublished fitment overlap for the M&P. We're looking to the P30 to see what we can get for others.

theJanitor
12-22-2021, 12:52 PM
There's no explicit X300V support, but a quick trim on the holster will alleviate that.

Yup, understood the V isn't listed as a supported model. I just don't know what the proper trimming would look like

orionz06
12-22-2021, 12:57 PM
I'd just cut/sand the section that wraps around the light, leaving it to pass through 100% without a lip.

Up1911Fan
07-16-2022, 08:13 PM
orionz06 is a G19/TLR-7A Rigel going to be a thing?

orionz06
07-16-2022, 08:15 PM
orionz06 is a G19/TLR-7A Rigel going to be a thing?

Yes.

littlejerry
11-06-2022, 01:03 PM
Yes.

Any update on the new holsters?

I'm in need of a g17 holster with an optic cut and full guard. Would prefer a DCC monobloc.

How much coverage does the Orion have for the rear sight and optic?

Dark Star Gear
11-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Any update on the new holsters?

I'm in need of a g17 holster with an optic cut and full guard. Would prefer a DCC monobloc.

How much coverage does the Orion have for the rear sight and optic?

We offer the Orion with a DCC over the wing and over the slide, but there is no full coverage on the sweatguard, just some. We will never be offering the DCC Monoblock, top mount attachments aren't conducive to long term durability, constantly flexing the holster to doff and don the holster isn't the best. A bottom mount attachment, like the HLR series, bends the clip instead.

Up1911Fan
11-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Yes.

Is this still going to be a thing?

Dark Star Gear
11-06-2022, 02:01 PM
Is this still going to be a thing?

Rigel updates hopefully wrapping up with some time alloted after Black Friday. Once we hammer that out, the features/blocking/etc will be copy+paste to a few new models, the 17 or 19 with the TLR-7 is tops on that list.