PDA

View Full Version : F***ing verbs, how do they work?

JAD
08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Doing a whole new thread on this so no one feels singled out. I really don't mind when people make even chronic mistakes in an internet forum, but Bill Rogers did this throughout his entire book and it drove me crazy.

"Dominate" is a verb. "Dominant" is an adjective. Your hand and eyes are nouns; adjectives modify nouns. Verbs make nouns do stuff to other nouns.

You have a dominant eye and a dominant hand. BLACKHAWK! dominates the world of drop-leg holsters.

Chuck Haggard
08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
BLACKHAWK! dominates the world of drop-leg holsters.

A fact that makes Baby Jesus weep. He sobs uncontrolably in his manger.

derekb
08-14-2012, 11:02 AM
If you read enough inexpensive self-published books from the Kindle store, you're going to run into a lot of writing that looks like the author didn't even bother to ask a friend to read over before he put it up for sale.

It can be frustrating.

NickA
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
If you read enough inexpensive self-published books from the Kindle store, you're going to run into a lot of writing that looks like the author didn't even bother to ask a friend to read over before he put it up for sale.

It can be frustrating.

Amen to that. My love of cheap reading material and inner grammar Nazi are constantly at war.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Al T.
08-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I read a lot and have for years. I'm seeing a lot more errors now, though I'm not very adept at catching them. So if I'm seeing more, it's the tip of the iceberg.

The errors that drive me to want to smash someones fingers are ones that are stupid. This guy can't seem to find anyone who actually served in the US Army to proof read his novels:

http://www.leechild.com/

:mad:

dookie1481
08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I've noticed a marked increase in poorly-written articles over the last few years. Articles that Yahoo! carries on the front page are often rife with grammatical errors and clearly have not been seen by an editor. I have commented on a few of them and have received almost universal negative feedback from other commenters and even the author, on occasion.

It's just a function of the 24/7 news paradigm of the 21st century, IMO.

I still teach my son to use proper grammar and diction, even if his peers won't appreciate it.

Dagga Boy
08-14-2012, 01:48 PM
We all screw up with this stuff. I do it all the time. The problem is that we are letting the computer proof read and not a human. I saw this problem as a field training officer. One of my genius trainees was a computer genius and had a masters degree. We had an issue with his inability to handwrite police reports. I actually bent to our normal standards because this dork has had a computer since he was eight and he never wrote by hand and I knew the second he was released from training he would never handwrite a thing. With that said he would simply hit spell and grammar check when he was done with reports. I hammered him for improper use of "their" and "there", and other similar mistakes. The spell check would not catch these mistakes. Proof reading is becoming a lost art.

BaiHu
08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Perhaps we're all just "curmudgeony"* (I like to make up my own words :p), but I still agree with all of you and I can regularly spot incorrect usage of then/than, there/their/they're, its/it's, etc in NYT bestsellers that have been in print for years. Critical thinking and vigilance has shifted to opinion-making and multi-tasking, hyphenated Americans and acronym-laden children :rolleyes:

*apparently someone broke into my brain :mad: http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Curmudgeony

John Ralston
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I think you will find that you're intolerance with there grammatical errors too be a futile undertaking. More likely then not, it will have know effect on how they right.

Just my opinion...

Zhurdan
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I think you will find that you're intolerance with there grammatical errors too be a futile undertaking. More likely then not, it will have know effect on how they right.

Just my opinion...

I see what you did there. :D

LHS
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
This is why I keep the Hammer of Grammar close at hand. Smite those demons of illiteracy! Smite!

Corlissimo
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Additional pet peeves -- Words and phrases that simply do not exist, except in the mind of the user:

irregardless
supposably
for all intensive purposes
affect/effect
too/to/two
break/brake

As pointed out already, computer based spellcheckers create many issues, but I'm sure that there's a much larger issue, namely that teachers, along with police & firefighters*, are some of the lowest paid professions in our society but are so vitally important.. It should be the opposite IMO.

[/drift]

*Included by default as I always list these three professions whenever I have this conversation with someone. :)

LHS
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Additional pet peeves -- Words and phrases that simply do not exist, except in the mind of the user:

irregardless
supposably
affect/effect
too/to/two
break/brake

As pointed out already, computer based spellcheckers create many issues, but I'm sure that there's a much larger issue, namely that teachers, along with police & firefighters*, are some of the lowest paid professions in our society but are so vitally important.. It should be the opposite IMO.

[/drift]

*Included by default as I always list these three professions whenever I have this conversation with someone. :)

People who use 'greatful' instead of 'grateful'.

JM Campbell
08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
People who use 'greatful' instead of 'grateful'.

Guilty....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ToddG
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM

irregardless
supposably
affect/effect
too/to/two
break/brake

My pet peeve -- people who think real words don't exist. :cool:

Setting aside the obvious ones (affect/effect, too/to/two, and break/brake), Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless) not only lists irregardless as a word (as does my Mac's spell check, apparently) but even goes so far as to correct people who insist "there is no such word." Supposably is also a real word, though it is often used incorrectly (see this explanation (http://www.kirkmahoney.com/blog/2008/01/supposedly-vs-supposably/)).

Sinker
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Having lived with the a grammar gestapo for the first formative years of my life, I can't help but cringe when I see or make these errors. Merriam Webster has a youtube channel dedicated to clearing up these sort of things.

http://youtu.be/wFyY2mK8pxk

Zhurdan
08-23-2012, 08:25 AM
LOL'd a bit when I saw this...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/216132_10151021253906659_1408941749_n.jpg

ToddG
08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Sinker, you've just destroyed an entire day for me. I'm hooked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7k-20y5WKU

Two down, thirty nine to go.

LOKNLOD
08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Sinker, you've just destroyed an entire day for me. I'm hooked...

Two down, thirty nine to go.

I can't believe i just watched a youtube video about proper grammar usage. And found it interesting.

LHS
08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I can't believe i just watched a youtube video about proper grammar usage. And found it interesting.

I'm having flashbacks to my 4th grade English class with Mrs. Forni...

Sinker
08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I use octopuses in conversation as often as possible. When people look at me sideways I just grin, letting my grammatical righteousness wash over me. It feels so good to drop some etymology on these fools. :cool:

Zhurdan
08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
I use octopuses in conversation as often as possible. When people look at me sideways I just grin, letting my grammatical righteousness wash over me. It feels so good to drop some etymology on these fools. :cool:

If you like etymology... look up the history of the following phrase... It's probably not what most people take it for. :)

"It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey".

Al T.
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Corey is way hotter..... :cool:

bobn
08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
This is in a different class of error, but I once saw a woman complain about having been "viscously attacked" in blog comments. She wrote it twice. I had great fun explaining it to her.

In another post, the same person repeatedly used the word invaluable to mean "not valuable".

But hell, I feel like a relic. Nobody knows this stuff any more.

archangel
08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
In another post, the same person repeatedly used the word invaluable to mean "not valuable".

Just like "inflamable" means "doesn't burn," right?

LHS
08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Just like "inflamable" means "doesn't burn," right?

Mallory: And yet you learned nothing!

Sterling: I learned that flammable and inflammable mean the same thing.

JAD
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
I sat in a meeting with a marketing veep who described a segment as 'infinitesimally huge.'

Zhurdan
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Every friggin' Tuesday on our safety call... the Safety Director reviews the Incedentsez"(how he says it). Drives me nutz! hehe

Default.mp3
08-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Corey is way hotter..... :cool:

Ironically... her name is actually spelled Kory.

John Ralston
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I see what you did there. :D

Apparently not...there's like a half dozen of them in those two sentences. :p

Zhurdan
08-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Just my opinion...

Better? ;);)

Just more fuel for the fire. Meaning, once you see it every day, sometimes only the last one glaring at you sticks out.

cmoore
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Grammar, it's the difference between your shit and you're shit.

seabiscuit
08-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I couldn't tell you how many times I read "My conscious is clear" in MFRs concerning honor violations at the Academy. Glad you're awake, sir.