PDA

View Full Version : 1st match.

newyork
11-21-2021, 07:32 PM
Saturday I took an 8hr competition class with instructor and friend Rob Epifania. Awesome class that got me primed for today, my first pistol competition. I’ve also been taking pointers from him on my dry fire via texts as well as using the Steve Anderson book.

Had an absolute blast both days. At 46, I kind of felt like I was 19 at the comp. humbled but also giddy and had so much fun.

I used my m&P 5” core. 10rd mags (that will need coils cut since it’s so hard to seat mags on a closed slide with it). Rmr. Hodge lodge or JM range holster, 10 year old battle belt I’ve never used until I started preparing, and Esstac mag pouches.

Learned so much.

I’m waiting on score but don’t expect to see my name anywhere but the bottom 25%, which is fine with me.

Looking forward to diving in and getting better.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-21-2021, 07:39 PM
Where and what club? Glad you had a good time. I'm always towards the bottom given I move at Geezer/Hour speed now.

newyork
11-21-2021, 08:23 PM
Where and what club? Glad you had a good time. I'm always towards the bottom given I move at Geezer/Hour speed now.

Westhampton Beach New York. LIPSA (Long Island Practical Shooters Association.

Private range. I’ve been a member there for a long time. Yearly dues are cheap but new presidency changed the operations. There’s no more open applications. They have comps and if they see you enough they ask you to join. If you’d been a member they grandfather you in as long as you pay yearly dues.

All these years and comps every weekend and I’ve finally joined in. I did half a tactical rifle comp like 10 years ago but that was it.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-21-2021, 09:44 PM
Far from me. Take care.

newyork
11-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Far from me. Take care.

You too Glenn!

newyork
11-22-2021, 06:59 AM
So I was 62nd place out of 99 lol

CraigS
11-22-2021, 08:03 AM
I am in my 4th year of idpa. I just look at the overall scores like you did. If I am in the top 1/2 I am happy. If I get into the top 1/3 I am ecstatic. Shooting like this vs standing still and hitting stationary paper is a game changer. I don't know what facilities your club has but because of idpa I have shot through every door and window of an old van, laying on my side and on my knees to shoot under a barrier, right hand only, left hand only, through a barrel, around the edge of a barrier, at moving targets, night matches w/ a light/laser, while seated, etc. As my scores show, I will never make a seal team, but I am so much better than I was 4 years ago there is no comparison.

rob_s
11-22-2021, 08:04 AM

(Almost) nowhere to go but up!

I commend you for getting out there. Especially at your (our) age. I am trying to prioritize the time to get back to matches myself.

1Rangemaster
11-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Gentlemen, my congratulations and encouragement!

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

I’ll be 69 in a matter of weeks. A few orthopedic issues, and eyes aren’t what they used to be. There was a GSSF match over in GA over the weekend and I took it in. To paraphrase Churchill-never, ever surrender! I’m planning on wheel chair comps.

Stay in the arena. Your shooting will be far ahead of your “peers”…

newyork
11-24-2021, 10:13 PM
Something I noticed and have questions about;

I noticed my 10rd factory mags are super hard to seat on a closed slide. I can’t have 17rd so it’s not an option.

Tonight I cut 3 coils off on 2 mags. It makes it a little easier but not a ton easier. I stopped at 3 coils and thought I’d test those 2 mags next week. If it makes the gun unreliable I’ll buy 2 springs and replace them.

Is there a known fix here or is cutting coils the only way to make it easy to seat a loaded mag on a closed slide?

Norville
11-24-2021, 10:18 PM

And you were ahead of everyone who is too afraid to compete!

Congratulations on your first match.

Sorry, no help on the mag situation. I think cutting a couple of coils and testing is the best plan.

newyork
11-24-2021, 11:15 PM
Thank you bud!

Clusterfrack
11-25-2021, 12:03 AM
newyork, awesome! Welcome to the addiction. It’s great to have new shooters join the sport. I don’t know Rob E. personally, but he’s a great shooter. You will learn fast hanging out with him.

I have zero patience for gun problems at matches. There are a few designs for 10-round limited mags and some are worse than others. Honestly, that would make me consider switching guns if it can’t be solved.

DpdG
11-25-2021, 08:38 AM
Caveat: I know nothing of M&P pistols specifically-

Some 10rd neutered mags are blocked half way up the tube, while others are artificially single stack. If cutting coils didn't make a noticeable improvement, then it might be follower bottoming out instead of coil bind causing the issue. If so, maybe check to see what part of the follower stops against/in the mag tube and clearance that?

rob_s
11-25-2021, 08:46 AM
I have zero patience for gun problems at matches. There are a few designs for 10-round limited mags and some are worse than others. Honestly, that would make me consider switching guns if it can’t be solved.

That was my thought as well. I’d be very tempted to find a gun designed around the caliber/capacity that I wanted to shoot.

Then I wondered if there might not be a local competition shooters page that might be able to offer some assistance with the issue.

Short of that, watch for someone else at the match that is shooting the same gun and seems to be (a) switched on and (b) not having issues. If that guy doesn’t exist, that’s probably a clue. :p

newyork
11-25-2021, 08:56 AM
Didn’t see any other M&P. Rob Epifania ran them in comps for a few years. He had the same issue and just cut coils. It fixed the issue for him.
It’s literally the only issue I’ve experienced so far. Normally this wouldn’t be much of one but I can see it adding time and making things harder.
I saw p320, CZ, 2011 and a Glock and everyone seemed to easily seat mags on a closed slide.

I’ll report back on if the coils fix it. Next week. If it works I’ll cut the rest. Being in a free state would be nice as I know this doesn’t happen with people and 17rd mags with 10 in em.

I don’t want to change platforms.

newyork
11-25-2021, 09:27 AM
My 2.0 compact is hard to seat on a closed slide as well. Maybe harder.

Duelist
11-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Didn’t see any other M&P. Rob Epifania ran them in comps for a few years. He had the same issue and just cut coils. It fixed the issue for him.
It’s literally the only issue I’ve experienced so far. Normally this wouldn’t be much of one but I can see it adding time and making things harder.
I saw p320, CZ, 2011 and a Glock and everyone seemed to easily seat mags on a closed slide.

I’ll report back on if the coils fix it. Next week. If it works I’ll cut the rest. Being in a free state would be nice as I know this doesn’t happen with people and 17rd mags with 10 in em.

I don’t want to change platforms.

IKR? The process of deciding to go shoot “my gun” in competition to see how I do and what improvements I can make and then seeing no one else shooting a gun like “my gun” and second guessing “my gun” and then switching to one of “their guns” instead is pretty depressing and expensive. OTOH, testing whether or not you can run your gun under pressure and whether or not your gun works when run under pressure is part of the purpose and process of using them in matches. Figuring out the failure points and what it will take to correct them is also part of the process.

There are people shooting M&Ps in our local comps. It’s AZ, so we don’t have the neutered magazine problem, and they seem to run fine. IIRC, GJM has run them, again with normal magazines, and they seem to have worked for him. DocGKR has said the M&P is one of the most tested and proven service pistols available.

I wouldn’t think about changing platforms for a minute after one match (unless you were running actual garbage like a Jennings or a Lorcin or Hi-Point). I’d work with it to see what you can do to make it run better/you run it better.

newyork
11-25-2021, 09:45 AM
IKR? The process of deciding to go shoot “my gun” in competition to see how I do and what improvements I can make and then seeing no one else shooting a gun like “my gun” and second guessing “my gun” and then switching to one of “their guns” instead is pretty depressing and expensive. OTOH, testing whether or not you can run your gun under pressure and whether or not your gun works when run under pressure is part of the purpose and process of using them in matches. Figuring out the failure points and what it will take to correct them is also part of the process.

There are people shooting M&Ps in our local comps. It’s AZ, so we don’t have the neutered magazine problem, and they seem to run fine. IIRC, GJM has run them, again with normal magazines, and they seem to have worked for him. DocGKR has said the M&P is one of the most tested and proven service pistols available.

I wouldn’t think about changing platforms for a minute after one match (unless you were running actual garbage like a Jennings or a Lorcin or Hi-Point). I’d work with it to see what you can do to make it run better/you run it better.

I completely agree with everything you’ve said. In the past I’d change platforms like pants and suck with all of them. I’m liking the M&P a lot. I feel it’s easier for me to shoot ok than others I’ve tried. There are parts and springs and mags around. It’s grippy as hell and comfortable. They’ve shot great for me. No way I’m switching.
The weak point is the dot because I’m just learning it but it’s not nearly as hard as I thought.

Again, I’m not switching platforms.

I’ll mess with springs in 2 of my mags for now (cut them last night).

If I lived elsewhere I wouldn’t have the issue but it is what it is.

Jim Watson
11-25-2021, 10:27 AM

I noticed my 10rd factory mags are super hard to seat on a closed slide. I can’t have 17rd so it’s not an option.

Tonight I cut 3 coils off on 2 mags. It makes it a little easier but not a ton easier. I stopped at 3 coils and thought I’d test those 2 mags next week. If it makes the gun unreliable I’ll buy 2 springs and replace them.

Is there a known fix here or is cutting coils the only way to make it easy to seat a loaded mag on a closed slide?

Restricted capacity magazines are hard to seat when loaded with ten because they must not ever accept 11 in a repressive jurisdiction, so they are made very short internally. During the AWB they had to pass inspection by the
BATF. I doubt clipping springs (or anything else) will make much difference.

BUT, if you are going to be shooting regulation IDPA, you will nearly always be reloading from slide lock and not needing to seat a magazine under the closed slide except at the Load And Make Ready. For that, pick and mark your freest magazine so you can get to 10+1 with the least effort.

If you are to be shooting USPSA or a local rules match that allows speed loading, just load 9 rounds in your reload magazines; it will seldom interfere with the stage.

I don't know if it would be legal in New York, but it would be physically possible to take a standard 17 round magazine, glue in a 10 round magazine block, and sand it for enough slack to load easily but not accept another round.

BN
11-25-2021, 10:30 AM
Congratulations on your first match. :)

I see a lot of M&Ps around here. When they first started using them around here in IDPA, they were getting 10 round mags to use for slide lock reloads because the 17 rounders were causing malfunctions when they slammed the reload.

Somebody else mentioned, maybe take a little off the bottom of the follower to allow it to go a little deeper into the mag body.

Run the gun you have for now. I used to shoot against a buddy who is a better shooter than me. He was doing the gun of the week for a while and I could beat him. ;)

newyork
11-25-2021, 10:35 AM
9 rds would be an easy fix. Someone said that in the match and I forgot that until you said it.

An ffl can receive 17rd and permanently block but I can’t legally.

Maybe I’ll replace the cut down ones with new stock ones and try the follower or downloading to 9.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2021, 11:10 AM
To be competitive, really play the game, you need to load to division capacity: 10+1 in Production. There’s a thread somewhere about limited cap mags.

My experience is that the ones that use shortened tubes and springs don’t work very well.

Standard cap mags with dimples to limit rounds can be very reliable. The CZ 10 rounders seem to work well.

newyork
11-25-2021, 11:21 AM
To be competitive, really play the game, you need to load to division capacity: 10+1 in Production. There’s a thread somewhere about limited cap mags.

My experience is that the ones that use shortened tubes and springs don’t work very well.

Standard cap mags with dimples to limit rounds can be very reliable. The CZ 10 rounders seem to work well.

How about VP9 mags?

By reliable you mean reliably load on a closed slide easily or reliable feeding? As far as I know the m&P 10rd are extremely proven and reliable as far as feeding.

FYI, after inspection, the same spring is used for 10rd full size, full size compact and a friends full size 17rd (free state)

Clusterfrack
11-25-2021, 12:01 PM
How about VP9 mags?

By reliable you mean reliably load on a closed slide easily or reliable feeding? As far as I know the m&P 10rd are extremely proven and reliable as far as feeding.

FYI, after inspection, the same spring is used for 10rd full size, full size compact and a friends full size 17rd (free state)

No clue. I don't have much 1st hand experience with VP9 or M&P 10 round mags. Sorry to flex on the poors living in ban states...

Maybe start a new thread on this topic?

Jim Watson
11-25-2021, 12:03 PM
If they use the same follower for 10 as 17, it looks like you could gain a little slack by cutting it.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/688330

newyork
11-25-2021, 12:07 PM
Just checked in with Rob and he said “oops, I forgot to tell you that you have to cut the back tabs of the followers and you’ll be GTG”

Also, I checked the VP9 and those mags seat easily.

I’ll cut down the tabs on the 2 mags I cut the springs down on too.

EdHKVP9
11-25-2021, 03:12 PM
Factory stock 10 round HK VP9 mags loaded to capacity easily seat on both my VP9 and VP9 SK with a closed slide.

Clusterfrack
11-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Just checked in with Rob and he said “oops, I forgot to tell you that you have to cut the back tabs of the followers and you’ll be GTG”

Also, I checked the VP9 and those mags seat easily.

I’ll cut down the tabs on the 2 mags I cut the springs down on too.

Isn’t it crazy that thousands of people are under the impression that their mags work, and it takes a USPSA match to figure out that they don’t?

newyork
11-25-2021, 03:54 PM
The mags work, they’re just harder than full tube mags to insert on a closed slide. Most likely I’d never even know other than comps.

I’d imagine that comps bring a lot of things to light. Makes sense. Especially shooting skill or in my case, lack thereof.

Quantrill
11-25-2021, 07:36 PM
I’ve taken the tabs down on a M&P follower to gain another round with 140mm mags. That should give you the clearance you need for easier seating.

Good job competing!

newyork
11-25-2021, 08:09 PM
I’ve taken the tabs down on a M&P follower to gain another round with 140mm mags. That should give you the clearance you need for easier seating.

Good job competing!

Excellent!!! Thank you so much! Cutting off tabs tonight.

newyork
11-25-2021, 08:49 PM
Cutting the tabs down does the trick. Hopefully the 3 coils I cut isn’t too much but springs are cheap. I’d love to cut the other tabs on my other mags and cut one coil down on those but maybe I should test these 2 first.

Duelist
11-25-2021, 09:45 PM
Cutting the tabs down does the trick. Hopefully the 3 coils I cut isn’t too much but springs are cheap. I’d love to cut the other tabs on my other mags and cut one coil down on those but maybe I should test these 2 first.

I’d test first.

newyork
11-25-2021, 10:09 PM
I’d test first.

I should’ve waited but I’m impatient. I had 2 extra springs around too. I noticed cutting the tabs and only 2 coils works just fine. Replaced the 2 I cut 3 coils down on and did all 7 mags.

Hopefully test Sunday. Match isn’t until 12/12 and it’s not a carry or HD gun so if it has issues Sunday I have time to reverse it.

P_Pete
11-26-2021, 05:45 PM

I am surprised it made any difference , I have some 10 round smith mags , you can't even get 10 1/4 rounds in before you stop
different generations of mags maybe mine are 1994

newyork
11-26-2021, 06:26 PM
The real changer is when you do the combo of cutting some of the rear tabs down on the follower AND 2 coils off the springs.
I’ve heard the otlder mags were different

rob_s
11-27-2021, 06:55 AM

I’m glad you seem to have found something that works.

It may have seemed that Clusterfrack and I were quick to say “change guns” but, at least in my case, that just comes from years of shooting various matches and classes and arriving at having no time for hardware challenges or issues. Not to mention watching others struggle through them.

If the gun continues to be non-optimal for the intended endeavor, I’d absolutely ditch it. Maybe not as the defensive piece, but for sure as a competition gun. At some point it helped me to start thinking about them as a piece of sports equipment. If my baseball glove didn’t work for golf, I wouldn’t not golf, and I wouldn’t continue struggling with non-optimal equipment. I’d get a set of clubs.

JMHO.

JCN
11-27-2021, 07:43 AM
rob_s

I’ll make the counterpoint that if you find a golf club that works but you don’t like the grip texture or the shaft length, that’s easy enough to modify for your intended purposes rather than ditch it for a new club.

Magazine massages are commonplace and typical for certain guns and divisions.

newyork

Here are some of my magazine alteration pearls:

1. Generally modify one magazine at a time and work snap caps and dummy ammo cycling to see if any binding or malfunctions happen. If there’s any “hitch” or “hang up” at any time, identify and correct the source before going to the match. If you can live fire test, even better.

2. Sometimes weaker springs (due to cutting) need to be hand stretched periodically to even the tension through thr magazine stroke.

3. Weaker springs also like clean magazine bodies so consider brushing or cleaning out the insides of the mags monthly.

4. Sometimes cutting the follower legs down too far allows the follower to flip or dive which can lead to the dreaded “rattle can” binding where the follower gets stuck sideways and all the rounds just dribble out. Also pay attention to how the bullet noses are fed. Cutting back legs sometimes reduces the support on the back of the follower so the nose of bullets can dive and jam on feed ramps. Hand cycling dummy rounds rapidly can help identify that.

5. Altering magazines can affect the usable life of springs which might have a narrow window of function. A number of competition shooters will replace mag springs yearly or every other year.

6. Number your mags with a Silver Sharpie or tape and consider keeping separate training, dry and match mags. Then rotate them through the year and replace springs every year or two.

It all sounds like a PITA, but it’s really not. Most guns don’t need anything.

newyork
11-27-2021, 08:20 AM
Not bad at all. Springs and followers are cheap. I have a few dummy rounds and it’s be no biggie to buy a few more to get to 10.

I have my mags marked already so that works out good for me.

I’ll keep an eye on them.

If it got to the point the gun was a bitch with the spring and follower issue and nothing worked, I’d put stock springs and followers in and keep it as a defensive gun along with my 2.0 compact. None of my cobbled together competition set up is gun specific except the holster which was an inexpensive JM range holster so if I did get a comp specific gun (not buy and sell but, keep what I have and buy in addition) the hit wouldn’t be as bad.

newyork
11-28-2021, 01:16 PM
Mags seem to run excellent and load on a closed slide easily

JMS
12-05-2021, 02:43 AM
LIPSA (Long Island Practical Shooters Association.

This is good news. I'm gonna be moving to Huntington, very soon, and I know I have a LOT of info to absorb for that state...competitive venues being a mere drop in the bucket... :D

newyork
12-05-2021, 09:10 AM
This is good news. I'm gonna be moving to Huntington, very soon, and I know I have a LOT of info to absorb for that state...competitive venues being a mere drop in the bucket... :D

Oh man. I hope you have a really good reason. Worst state for gun laws.

JMS
12-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Weeeeellll….the Henchwoman has deep roots there. I have NO roots, so I’m going to her.

It’ll be a combo of compliance, leavened with avoidance, sprinkled with “the secret ingredient…is CRIME! ;)

newyork
12-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Let it be known that you can’t own a pistol unless you get a pistol license which can be 6-12 months wait. Background checks and character vouchers and notarized paperwork and more.

Not even supposed to touch one in the state without that.

If you ever lose your pistol license (can be revoked at any time), you also lose your 2A rights here. Fun right?

newyork
12-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Match #2 today. More As. Less misses (2vs 5). More % points. Came in 42nd of 88. Last time was 62 of 99. 363 points vs 240 last time. 52.31 % vs 46.28 last time

AzShooter
12-13-2021, 03:30 AM
Congratulations. You're getting better. What have you been doing to improve?

Get out and live fire practice but remember dry fire is your friend. Talk to the top shooters and ask about equipment and watch them shoot. Don't try to go as fast but look for the areas they make up time...running, reloading.

Let us know about Match Three.

newyork
12-13-2021, 08:25 AM
I have very few chances to live fire so I do a couple warm ups in dry fire and then do a couple drills from the Anderson book. Probably going to buy some Stoeger books this week. I send videos to a buddy for critique. I need some major practice shooting on the move.
I need to get more solid, dot acquisitions under stress.
I’ll be working on transitioning more too as it’s a weak point once targets get farther apart.

Jan 23 is the next one. Thought I’d try to do some low round count live fire a couple times a month if possible.

newyork
12-26-2021, 02:38 PM
Only update so far is I received this set up for Xmas

https://i.imgur.com/hFEaWU5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iUUTrGi.jpg

Dry fire with it begins tonight. Match is the 23rd.

JCN
12-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Only update so far is I received this set up for Xmas

Nice! If you're being gamey, you can lower your holster a little (heel of grip has to be above top of belt so you have a 1/2 inch or more you can drop it). Cant muzzle a little forward and play around with magazine pouch angle, especially the first one or two since you're shooting CO those will be your go-to mags.

newyork
12-26-2021, 04:53 PM
Thanks brother I’ll try tonight. Thought I bottomed out on holster height but I’ll check. I like the idea of the can’t on it plus on the mag can’t on 1 and 2 mags.

JCN
12-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Thanks brother I’ll try tonight. Thought I bottomed out on holster height but I’ll check. I like the idea of the can’t on it plus on the mag can’t on 1 and 2 mags.

You’re welcome! It does look like you’re at the bottom of your holster/drop attachment. If you cant muzzle forward that’ll bring the butt of the gun down lower anyway.

Also make sure the bracket for your drop attachment is screwed all the way in. It should be rock solid, when belts are new they sometimes don’t seat all the way into the groove of the bracket and need some help.

If you have a clamp or a vise to sandwich them together without having to do it the first time with the screws and mounting hardware that can help.

newyork
12-26-2021, 06:40 PM
Do you suggest loctite on the holster screws? Once I find the right spot that is. A buddy of mine said he never needed to.

Clusterfrack
12-26-2021, 07:10 PM
Do you suggest loctite on the holster screws? Once I find the right spot that is. A buddy of mine said he never needed to.

Yes. Just no locktite on Ghost pouches. It makes them crack.

newyork
12-26-2021, 07:13 PM

Thank you!!

JCN
12-26-2021, 07:45 PM

Holster or mag pouches? And are you talking about loctite on polymer causing crazing and structural compromise?

Holster screws have a Chicago nut so it’s metal on metal usually.

I use E6000 on most things these days because it resists vibrating apart. I have also put tape over the outside surface of the screws / nuts instead of putting anything on the threads.

I have put a very, very little loctite on a toothpick to threads that contact the nut only (no polymer contact) but usually wind up regretting it because you can’t heat screws in Kydex without melting your holster.

newyork
12-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Holster or mag pouches? And are you talking about loctite on polymer causing crazing and structural compromise?

Holster screws have a Chicago nut so it’s metal on metal usually.

I use E6000 on most things these days because it resists vibrating apart. I have also put tape over the outside surface of the screws / nuts instead of putting anything on the threads.

I have put a very, very little loctite on a toothpick to threads that contact the nut only (no polymer contact) but usually wind up regretting it because you can’t heat screws in Kydex without melting your holster.

I meant the screws that hold the bar that dictates cant and the screws that sandwich the belt that go through the metal plate and the bar that holds the holster. So screw and metal only

JCN
12-26-2021, 08:56 PM
I meant the screws that hold the bar that dictates cant and the screws that sandwich the belt that go through the metal plate and the bar that holds the holster. So screw and metal only

Oh those.

The cant and height ones usually have a locking washer so they usually don’t move and I generally don’t put anything on the sandwich bracket ones as they have long enough threads and tension that I’ve never had those get loose.

If the cant ones do loosen up (mine have) then a little loctite is okay.

newyork
12-26-2021, 09:44 PM
Made some last (we will see) changes as per your suggestion and so far it does feel much better.

https://i.imgur.com/NAc1Rv7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/528mQLJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/59wXScF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yaKOonK.jpg

JCN
12-26-2021, 10:03 PM
newyork

You can go even further with the holster cant if you like. It’s a personal thing though.

Mine is pointing about 25 degrees forward. So like it would shoot 2 feet in front if I ND in my holster.

EDIT: looking more carefully your holster to belt is canted properly but the belt is sloped down with your arms up. Should be fine but experiment around a little.

newyork
12-26-2021, 10:13 PM
Just checked. You’re right. I need to tighten the belt. It’s a bit loose. If I tighten the cant will certainly be better. Otherwise, I’m dry firing now and the set up feels good. Just have to put the time in to get used to it. Much better than what I was using before lol. To say the least.

***went back and tightened. Big difference.

Clusterfrack
12-26-2021, 10:35 PM

Yes. That.

HCM
12-27-2021, 11:29 AM

My condolences.

I shot my first USPSA match at LIPSA back in the 90s but there is no way in hell you could get me to move back to New York.

newyork
12-27-2021, 11:33 AM
If my wife didn’t have a good job with a good paycheck and wasn’t so adamant about staying here, I’d be gone. This place is bs

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Not many USPSA or IDPA gamers in my AO use M&Ps so nice to have some company NY.

newyork
12-27-2021, 09:48 PM
I’m the only one at my spot too. My friend got started in comps using one too but he’s moved on. We’re a small crew you and I.

HCM
12-28-2021, 01:10 AM
I’m the only one at my spot too. My friend got started in comps using one too but he’s moved on. We’re a small crew you and I.

JM Campbell runs M&P's exclusively and has been doing so for 8 to 10 years.

Quantrill
12-28-2021, 09:23 PM

#metoo

newyork
12-28-2021, 09:33 PM
#metoo

Haha awesome

newyork
03-20-2022, 07:19 PM
So my club’s January match was cancelled. It was 12 degrees and too many ppl cancelled for the match to go on. Then Feb my wife and I had something to do.

Today was the first match in 2 months for me. Normally I dry fire 4x a week. This week was 2X and I convoluted everyt By buying a Glock and shooting it yesterday (180rds).

Had a crappy match as a result. A few stages were pretty decent but I didn’t see 2 targets (4 misses) on one stage and pushed my final target of the last stage too hard and round #2 on it barely hit the target. 5 misses altogether.

Disappointed but it just means I need to ramp up the dry fire and get out to the range more. I haven’t been live firing much at all. A big strike against me.

Embarrassing to admit all that but it’s honest and I wanted to report back.

JCN
03-20-2022, 09:47 PM
So my club’s January match was cancelled. It was 12 degrees and too many ppl cancelled for the match to go on. Then Feb my wife and I had something to do.

Today was the first match in 2 months for me. Normally I dry fire 4x a week. This week was 2X and I convoluted everyt By buying a Glock and shooting it yesterday (180rds).

Had a crappy match as a result. A few stages were pretty decent but I didn’t see 2 targets (4 misses) on one stage and pushed my final target of the last stage too hard and round #2 on it barely hit the target. 5 misses altogether.

Disappointed but it just means I need to ramp up the dry fire and get out to the range more. I haven’t been live firing much at all. A big strike against me.

Embarrassing to admit all that but it’s honest and I wanted to report back.

No embarrassment whatsoever. Shooting and stage execution are like two separate sports. Don’t beat yourself up for a lapse in the other.

JMS
04-30-2022, 01:18 PM
My condolences.

I shot my first USPSA match at LIPSA back in the 90s but there is no way in hell you could get me to move back to New York.

My way forward (now that the UNcommon cold has proven just how much office-type work can be done successfully via remote) is that I sold my own work on the idea that I spend a week of each month in VA, to work "live" on-site.

That gives me storage/useage/comp access while I wait for the stupid NY gears to grind. Even once fully in NY, if I need to store/compete in a free-er state, I will. My USMC Brig-Lawyer degree will come in handy in figuring out the viability of it. :D

It'd not surprise me to find out that Prod, L10, SS are the only divisions allowed, up there. Am I right?

HCM
04-30-2022, 02:04 PM
My way forward (now that the UNcommon cold has proven just how much office-type work can be done successfully via remote) is that I sold my own work on the idea that I spend a week of each month in VA, to work "live" on-site.

That gives me storage/useage/comp access while I wait for the stupid NY gears to grind. Even once fully in NY, if I need to store/compete in a free-er state, I will. My USMC Brig-Lawyer degree will come in handy in figuring out the viability of it. :D

It'd not surprise me to find out that Prod, L10, SS are the only divisions allowed, up there. Am I right?

Ask newyork

newyork
04-30-2022, 02:06 PM
As far as I know we have all the same divisions just with use of 10rd only.

I don’t know about comps but for everything but an nra sanctioned match, no one may enter NY without a NY pistol license. No New York resident may even handle a hand gun even at the store without a New York pistol license. If you move hear, you’d have to store out of state until you get your pistol license. Then have out of state ffl ship to in state ffl for transfer.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-01-2022, 07:17 PM
When I moved back here, I had the handguns shipped to an FFL to hold. That was legit as I checked it out. Had to pay a storage fee. The FFL said it was common to do. Of course, there was a chance that I wouldn't get a permit, in that case - oh, well. I would have put them on consignment. I had compliant long arms.