PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M Shooting...

BaiHu
08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
this is getting eerily convenient for anti-gunners so close to an election....I'm just saying :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/13/texas-am-says-active-shooter-on-campus-apprehended/

Glad that so far, it seems no one was killed.

BaiHu
08-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Crap...knew it was too soon and too hopeful:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/13/texas-am-says-active-shooter-on-campus-apprehended/

RIP to the officer and civilian involved.

tmoore912
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
It wasn't a campus shooting. It happened a block or two away. Not that it makes that big of a difference to the MSM.

BaiHu
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
It wasn't a campus shooting. It happened a block or two away. Not that it makes that big of a difference to the MSM.

True, but that was the info that I got when I first posted the title. Apparently it's about 100 yds from Kyle Field.

TR675
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Apparently they were evicting him and he reacted poorly.

karmapolice
08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
The Constable was serving an eviction notice and the guy open fired on him and then after killing him shot outside form the house wounding more people. He was wounded by Officer's responding and then was placed in custody, and people wonder why LEO's want rifles and or better body armor but heck one of the biggest obstacles with that are other cops sadly. ( I have had soem say we didn't even need a weapon at all)

texasaggie2005
08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I used to live 2 blocks from that intersection. Spooky.

Also looks like the suspect is dead, 1 Constable, and 1 other civilian.

SeriousStudent
08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Prayers sent for the murdered and wounded.

I heard on the radio that the suspect has died of wounds after being taken into custody.

Gadfly
08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Per the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/3-killed-including-officer-and-gunman-near-3784724.php)
============================================

Precinct 1 Constable Brian Bachmann; the 35-year-old shooter, believed to be Thomas Caffall; and an unidentified man, 65, were killed in a gunfire exchange just after noon in the 200 block of Fidelity.

Authorities have not released the name of the shooter, but an eviction document known as a forcible entry detainer was filed against Thomas Caffall at the same address last Thursday by OnLine Real Estate Services.

In an earlier interview with The Huffington Post, Caffall's mother, Linda Weaver, said her son had been having "difficulties" with his mental health in recent years.

"The minute I saw the TV I knew it was him," she told the publication. "I've been that worried about him."
===============================================

So, just like in Colorado, the shooters family knew he was having mental issues. But the media will (as always) blame the gun and not the "crazy"...

NickA
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Local news radio is reporting the BG was armed with "a Czech VZ-58 submachine gun, which was purchased legally at an auction. " Wow.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Gadfly
08-14-2012, 09:15 AM
http://www.facebook.com/thomas.caffall

This is a link to the A&M shooters facebook. Under photos, he shows he has a VZ 58, a moisn nagant and two spam cans of ammo, and a copy of a Dragunov with scope. Who knows what else he owned that he did not post photos of. He has one section where he strips and re finishes the stock of his Mosin [my spelling might be off]. Guys posts did not seem raving or delusional. Seemed to speak of gun ownership in a responsible way. Must have just totally lost it... But no pity for him, no matter how bad a day you are having, you can't be shooting cops and bystanders just because you are having a bad day... There is always an option better than the "mass shooting" option.

Zhurdan
08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Also looks as though many people scrubbed their posts from his page. Either that or he's talking to himself a lot.

Prayers to those affected.

TR675
08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Something someone said to me in a different context yesterday is brought to mind...

An otherwise seemingly normal person under an extreme amount of stress will often act in ways that are unwise, illegal or abhorrent; the trick is to, if possible, recognize that the stressful situation exists and then prevent them from being in a position to act badly. Sometimes that's not possible.

My heart goes out to the constable, innocent bystander and their families.

JHC
08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Something someone said to me in a different context yesterday is brought to mind...

An otherwise seemingly normal person under an extreme amount of stress will often act in ways that are unwise, illegal or abhorrent; the trick is to, if possible, recognize that the stressful situation exists and then prevent them from being in a position to act badly. Sometimes that's not possible.

My heart goes out to the constable, innocent bystander and their families.

Very interesting post. My half assed theory is that the political, cultural and economic pressure we are under today is starting to blow out rivets here and there. Not that our problems are as bad as say Iraqi's still have rebuilding etc but different types of strain affect the "affluent" society just as much.

Gadfly
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Eviction-notice-sparked-fatal-shootout-in-College-3784724.php#photo-3324568

Cisneros, a former Army medic, said he started CPR immediately on Bachmann, who had been shot in the chest. When paramedics arrived to attend to the lawman, Cisneros ran over to work on the shooter.

That's when the gunman asked him to apologize to the officer on his behalf.

"I was covered in his blood," Cisneros said. "He just kept repeating things over and over and continued shallow breathing."

I guess the shooter knew what he was doing was wrong. He was not "insane" by any legal defanition as he could tell right from wrong durring the commision of his crime. His apology to the officer makes this seem like a "suicide by cop" more than a rampage to get a high body count. Not that it makes his crime any less repulsive, it just goes to show a motive...

texag
08-15-2012, 12:53 AM
NVM, incorrect info.

phil_in_cs
08-15-2012, 05:15 AM
small town - I know Officer Dorsett, and go to church with Northcliffe.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Cell-Phone-Video-Shows-CS-Shooting-Aftermath-166065946.html#storyTitleSummary

The cell phone video was recorded by Rigo Cisneros a former Army medic who lives on Fidelity.

Cisneros tells News Three that he heard the gunshots and went outside to see if he could help.

Police held him back until the scene was cleared and then he helped perform CPR on Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann, who later died.

Relevant to us all: you better be ready for self aid, as the help (qualified civilian or EMT) won't be allowed in until the police have everything cleared. 10 minutes can be the rest of your life.

phil_in_cs
08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Giant funeral yesterday for the Constable, and a private one at our church for Mr. Northcliffe. (I didn't really know him - they went to the 8am service)

Interesting bit of news in this item in today's news. After the Caffall killed the officer, an unnamed civilian returned fire with a "small caliber" pistol. Caffall retreated into his house, where SWAT later took him out.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/College-Station-Police-Release-Timeline-of-Mondays-Shooting-166571546.html

That's interesting data in the "having only a pistol when the active shooter has a rifle" issue. Caffall has a PSL, shoots Mr. Northcliffe at 100+ yards, and retreats when fired at.

Carry your fucking gun.

fixer
08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Giant funeral yesterday for the Constable, and a private one at our church for Mr. Northcliffe. (I didn't really know him - they went to the 8am service)

Interesting bit of news in this item in today's news. After the Caffall killed the officer, an unnamed civilian returned fire with a "small caliber" pistol. Caffall retreated into his house, where SWAT later took him out.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/College-Station-Police-Release-Timeline-of-Mondays-Shooting-166571546.html

That's interesting data in the "having only a pistol when the active shooter has a rifle" issue. Caffall has a PSL, shoots Mr. Northcliffe at 100+ yards, and retreats when fired at.

Carry your fucking gun.

If the "civilian" had only got some hits on Caffall.