PDA

View Full Version : Question on Single Stack USPSA rule regarding bushings

steve
11-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Can someone tell me why the 1911 has to have a bushing for single stack division? Does a bushing-less bull barrel offer that much of an advantage?

Bergeron
11-15-2021, 05:03 PM
It's only a very small advantage, but the effect is real. It's also a kind "if you give a mouse a cookie" sort of a thing in that if bull barrels are ok, then they'll become the competitive standard. If bull barrels are standard, then sight-trackers start to become a thing.

No-holds-barred 1911s are already out there in Limited and Lim-10, and a bull barrel gun with 10-rounders is competitive in Limited-10, so Single Stack is the place to shoot the more restrained guns.

steve
11-15-2021, 06:56 PM
It's only a very small advantage, but the effect is real. It's also a kind "if you give a mouse a cookie" sort of a thing in that if bull barrels are ok, then they'll become the competitive standard. If bull barrels are standard, then sight-trackers start to become a thing.

No-holds-barred 1911s are already out there in Limited and Lim-10, and a bull barrel gun with 10-rounders is competitive in Limited-10, so Single Stack is the place to shoot the more restrained guns.

Makes sense, thank you for the info.

YVK
11-15-2021, 11:16 PM
But then, since they have just increased a weight limit, my 45 ahseepee Kimber takes a tungsten guide rod and still makes the weight...

Lon
11-16-2021, 07:14 AM
Unless they’ve changed it, that only applies to barrels 5” or longer. I ran a commander length gun w a bull barrel. Including running it at a SS Nationals.

Edit: just checked. Bull barrels are fine if they’re 4.2” or less. I was running a 4” STI Spartan 9mm.

Elwin
11-16-2021, 08:09 AM
Edit: just checked. Bull barrels are fine if they’re 4.2” or less. I was running a 4” STI Spartan 9mm.

Oh good. When I get back into local USPSA matches I can still run my bobtailed 9mm commander like an idiot. I was worried there for a second.

Jim Watson
11-16-2021, 09:10 AM
The Special Condition for Single Stack starts out:
"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning."

I think the intent was to provide a home for guns that were no longer competitive in Open or Limited; kind of like the Garand high-power match or the Distinguished Revolver bullseye match.

A lot of little dispensations have crept in but not to the point of making a travesty of the Division like Production has become.
Read the rules before you buy or bend metal.

steve
11-16-2021, 01:29 PM
The Special Condition for Single Stack starts out:
"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning."

I think the intent was to provide a home for guns that were no longer competitive in Open or Limited; kind of like the Garand high-power match or the Distinguished Revolver bullseye match.

A lot of little dispensations have crept in but not to the point of making a travesty of the Division like Production has become.
Read the rules before you buy or bend metal.

Good point on reading the rules. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Ruger Target 9mm 1911 which started my question on the whole thing. Ruger doesn't make a full size 9mm bushing model unless it is the Koenig one and I am too cheap for that.

Bergeron
11-16-2021, 03:02 PM
It’s still possible to have a “game gun” in Single Stack, Springfield Armory’s Custom Shop puts out one that looks really nice.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/custom-handguns/1911-single-stack-classic-9mm-handgun/

A heavy frame and big magwell seem to be the go-to choices for such an optimized gun. I’d actually lean towards a .40 or a 10mm, because I can still get 10 round Tripp “System” magazines, and load to either Minor or Major as I saw fit. The 9mm certainly looks nice, and it’s my skills and not my gun or its chambering that are currently tre limiting factor in my abilities.;)

mmc45414
11-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Ruger doesn't make a full size 9mm bushing model unless it is the Koenig one and I am too cheap for that.
And this is probably the only reason the Koenig has a bushing... :cool:

steve
11-16-2021, 03:43 PM
It’s still possible to have a “game gun” in Single Stack, Springfield Armory’s Custom Shop puts out one that looks really nice.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/custom-handguns/1911-single-stack-classic-9mm-handgun/

A heavy frame and big magwell seem to be the go-to choices for such an optimized gun. I’d actually lean towards a .40 or a 10mm, because I can still get 10 round Tripp “System” magazines, and load to either Minor or Major as I saw fit. The 9mm certainly looks nice, and it’s my skills and not my gun or its chambering that are currently tre limiting factor in my abilities.;)

I am new to USPSA but I am also getting old so I am competing against myself for fun. I have been using Glocks but I wanted to try something different. I am not going to dump at bunch of $$ into a 1911 at this point in my life. I have two 1911's, both Ruger Commander sized models, one in .45 and one in 9mm. I will use one of those. (But that Springfield is very nice)

mmc45414
11-17-2021, 10:06 AM
I am new to USPSA but I am also getting old so I am competing against myself for fun.
I might also mention that clubs that are shooting club level matches may or may not care about something so subtle as a cone barrel in an otherwise simple gun, at least probably as long as you don't start winning... :cool: