PDA

View Full Version : A Friend's 92FS Locking Block Broke....

BaiHu
08-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Trying to help my buddy out.
Last week his locking block broke and it only costs $23 to replace it, but he's wondering if he needs to be concerned and send the whole gun back to Beretta. My thoughts were just replace the block and keep shooting, but I don't know jack.

Here are my questions:
1. Should he just replace and move on?
2. Should he send it in anyway b/c I believe he's had the gun since 93, but just recently started putting serious rounds down range with me? Maybe 12k rounds fired during the lifetime of the gun.
3. What is Beretta's warranty as far as covering such a thing and is this a normal wear/tear item that you'd expect to just drop a new one in at some point?
4. What cost might it be to send it in if any?
5. Would a new locking block need to be 'tweaked' or is this a standard fit w/ no issues?

Thanks for any help in advance!

ToddG
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
At the locking block wears naturally -- and especially at the moment it breaks -- it impacts the slide cuts unevenly. Over time, this leads to a "mating" between the block and the slide. Putting a new (squared) block into an old (unevenly worn) slide means the just one wing of the locking block will receive the initial recoil impulse. The result is that drop-in replacement blocks tend to have a shorter service life.

The best thing to do is make sure that the wings of the block and the cuts in the slide align properly. This may require a little filing on the block.

BaiHu
08-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks a ton! I'll pass it along. For clarification's sake-he might as well do this on his own instead of sending it to Beretta?