PDA

View Full Version : Poll - 1911 Frame Material Preferences for Carry

Elwin
11-12-2021, 01:52 PM
This isn't a question I personally have to think seriously about any time soon, as I currently only own steel 1911s and I'm not buying a new one in the near future. But it's something I've been pondering and I'm curious about input from others who've been carrying them for a considerable amount of time. I figure there may be enough people here who carry or have carried a 1911 with frequency to get some meaningful results.

What got me thinking about it was the fact that for the specific model I carry, I save (only?) 7oz by switching to its lightweight counterpart model (34oz to 27oz) in exchange for a slightly higher price tag and the maintenance and durability issues that can come with alloy frames (whether or not they actually matter at all or for a given caliber). Also, if I were carrying .45 and chose a lightweight Government model, which I'd be inclined to do for that cartridge, it would weigh basically the same as my steel 4" 9mm, with a few extra ounces added by the heavier ammo.

The main question is whether, considering potential downsides of choosing an aluminum gun (price, durability, desire to then also have a steel training gun when maybe a steel carry gun wouldn't require that dedicated range counterpart), you consider the weight savings of a lightweight model worthwhile, and to what degree. Is it a must have, a nice to have, or a nah, stick with steel?

As a secondary matter, I'm also curious to know if carry location has an impact on this. Does the weight of the gun matter more if it's carried strongside OWB or IWB as opposed to AIWB, where belt tension is generally looser and a stiff belt isn't necessary to hold a gun up?

Totem Polar
11-12-2021, 02:04 PM
I voted “other,” because i have direct experience with Rock River’s excellent and affordable (relatively, for RR) “Poly” model.

I realize that using the phrase “polymer frame” anywhere within earshot of 1911 enthusiasts borders on heresy, but just ask the handful of other P-F’ers who have or have owned one—I bet they agree with me.

That RR Poly may be one of the most underrated carry guns ever made—primarily because so few have actually seen or tried one.

JMO.

Robinson
11-12-2021, 02:06 PM
There's no doubt a lightweight alloy framed gun is nicer to carry. But since I shoot steel framed guns better, that's what I carry.

gtmtnbiker98
11-12-2021, 02:21 PM
Aluminum framed CCO is where it's at and it is hard to beat the Dan Wesson Vigil.

D-der
11-12-2021, 03:19 PM
My DW Guardian .45 is pretty sweet,
doesn't get much carry time these day's though.

JHC
11-12-2021, 03:46 PM
In 9mm I'd say alloy. In .45 probably steel. I've got three steel 5" guns and one LW Operator .45 for carry. It is very nice. I love the substantial but lighter overall weight. It's a tight shooting gun but "steers" on me more than the all steel guns. So far, I have to slow down a tick at the longer tight shots on the timer. Not so much up close.

Joe in PNG
11-12-2021, 04:05 PM
I went with an alloy 9mm Commander as my carry gun, and would do so again.

Ichiban
11-12-2021, 06:32 PM
Carry a DW Guardian in .45acp and I'm quite satisfied with it.

If you are looking at weight savings you shouldn't be crossing caliber/size boundaries. Apples to apples you know.

Evil_Ed
11-12-2021, 07:03 PM
I tried a Lightweight Commander in 45...at around the 100 round mark (give or take) it started getting tiresome if not painful to shoot for me. I had a Wiley Clapp CCO...again, around the 100 mark it started inducing a flinch (and also broke open my hand at the web of my thumb thanks to it's un-dehorned thumb safety). Admittedly at the time my defensive load of choice was Golden Sabre 185gr +Ps...but even plain old 230gr ball was tiresome after the 100 round mark. I have a Colt Combat Elite Commander; steel frame this time around...still uncomfortable to shoot at higher round counts compared to a Gov't model, for me. Maybe it's the barrel length more than the frame material?

I'd like to try an alloy framed 5" Gov't model...maybe that's the secret combination for me? Or even one of the RRA poly guns that was mentioned earlier - I've been side eyeing one of those for a while..and they're inexpensive enough (hah) to make the venture worth the time for me, whenever I find myself employed again. It seems like you get an awful lot of gun for that price...if the frame isn't a total gimmick, anyway.

Otherwise, the steel framed behemoth I know and love works just fine for me as it is, and I'm not gonna mentally flinch and think "man this is going to hurt after a couple mags of this" every time I pull the trigger...at least, not yet.

camel
11-12-2021, 07:31 PM
I voted “other,” because i have direct experience with Rock River’s excellent and affordable (relatively, for RR) “Poly” model.

I realize that using the phrase “polymer frame” anywhere within earshot of 1911 enthusiasts borders on heresy, but just ask the handful of other P-F’ers who have or have owned one—I bet they agree with me.

That RR Poly may be one of the most underrated carry guns ever made—primarily because so few have actually seen or tried one.

JMO.

I’ve heard good things. I want one. Anymore info.

M2CattleCo
11-12-2021, 07:43 PM
My last pair of carry 1911s were 5” aluminum frame Wilsons.

Only way to go IMO.

Use the steel frames for training beaters.

Elwin
11-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Appreciate the responses so far. Every time I post a thread here I feel like I’m asking a dumb question but this is helpful.

I forgot about the RRA Poly. I’d absolutely try one out if I got the chance. My carry gun deviates from JMB’s design in pretty much every other way possible (see member tag) so I’m not going to judge it.

Comparing a 4” to a 5” gun doesn’t really work, for sure. I just found it interesting that a steel commander could be close to a lightweight 5”. In my head I was thinking alloy frames cut off more ounces, hence the question. I also guessed that the response would be about what it is so far - that the issue is me just not knowing how much of a difference a few ounces can make on the belt.

Also interesting to hear that alloy 5” .45s are still noticeably harsher than steel ones. And I already know from experience that there’s a lot of difference between a Government and a Combat Commander in .45.

YVK
11-12-2021, 10:31 PM
Not a practical contribution, more of rant. This is one of those areas where 1911 makers has sat on their traditionalist asses without any effort to innovate. I have two 5 inch all steel 1911s that weigh 32 and 35 oz respectively. As easy to carry as alloy, durable because steel (and yes, kick a bit more than full weight 1911). Extra weight was removed by hand by a custom builder and not all of that can be replicated in mass production but I can't believe that most of can't be done by modern machines.

JAD
11-12-2021, 10:46 PM
If I could only have one gun it would be a .45 LWC. If I could have a second it would be a .45 CCO. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through lightweight guns and have not experienced durability issues. Lightweight commanders are quicker to the first shot, which to me is the most important performance metric, on a timer. Lightweights pull the belt down less at 3:00 and roll out less aiwb. I have shot several high round count courses with lightweight.45s and have not suffered much.

I really like lightweight commanders.

StraitR
11-12-2021, 11:39 PM
I spent roughly 13 years carrying steel framed 1911's, starting long before you could find every model in a LW frame and/or 9mm. The weight of steel framed 1911's might not bother you up front, but it will catch up with you.

Steel frame Govt 45 in timeless OWB leather for BBQ's and bragging rights. For everything else, a LW Commander or CCO, preferably in 9mm.

Father Time has already caught me when it comes to carrying 40oz guns all day. I'm in the plastic gun + RDS (+Unity Clutch or HPG belt pack) camp these days.

fatdog
11-13-2021, 09:49 AM
I’ve heard good things. I want one. Anymore info.

Own a pair but have not seen one in the market anywhere, gunbroker or otherwise, for well over a year. I think it is an item that they produce a batch every once in a while, but not a regular flow of production, like apparently all RRA 1911's now are not a constant stream of production. There were a couple at an LGS summer of 2020 and a bunch of new ones on Gunbroker in the spring and summer of 2020. I don't think I have seen one for sale since.

Shoots more like a full steel frame but carries more like a lightweight aluminum frame is my best description. A bit thick but the JMCK's made for the railed Springfield frames fit it just fine. The factory grip is sorta thick and felt to me like a 2011, but I had my gunsmith reduce the molded in grip bushings to take thin 1911 grips that that was just right for me. Front sight is a proprietary dovetail, rear is a novak cut. Only flaw both of mine had was the factory extractor. First one came to me used from a member here and ran great for about 1500 rounds, then some problems, I measured extractor tension and it had dropped from about 35oz new to about 12, I bent it back once (with the tool) to 30+ but it fell again. The other gun came to me factory new and was measured at only 6 oz tension! I just went ahead and replaced both with Wilson bulletproofs and all my troubles ended.

Shot one in single stack division at a local club match this summer and did not feel the least bit handicapped managing the recoil. I love my lightweight commander and my full size alloy frame DW Vigil, but these are much easier to shoot in the department of shot to shot recoil management. I am guessing a lot of that is the poly frame.

03RN
11-13-2021, 10:26 AM
I find when carrying aiwb that an inch off the muzzle makes a bigger difference then frame material.

With the ramped barrel and a modern heat treated frame I'm really not to concerned about my lw champion being any less rugged than a steel gun.

Carrying iwb or owb I really don't notice a difference.

If I was going to help someone find their next carry gun I'd first ask if it is going to be carried aiwb. If so then commander/champion. After that let's go shopping and see what you like.79875

farscott
11-13-2021, 11:58 AM
I like steel frames because too many reloads destroyed the magazine well opening on a Colt "Lightweight Commander Stainless" that I carried in the late 1990s. I also like not having to be concerned with magazine types or barrel ramps as is necessary with alloy frames. If I would get another alloy frame, it would have a steel magazine well and a ramped barrel or steel frame insert.

Skinner Precision, LLC
11-13-2021, 12:19 PM
A 5" steel frame 1911 with 8+1 of 230 JHP is tolerable in a JMCK 2.0 for 16+ hours a day AIWB for me but I find a STI STACCATO C singlestack 9mm to be more perfect for AIWB carry in all seasons. It doesn't have the drama associated with double stack STI's , has a polymer grip, alloy frame, ramped barrel and decent quality to cost ratio, just wish the factory had them stippled by extreme shooters from the get go....

camel
11-13-2021, 08:07 PM
Own a pair but have not seen one in the market anywhere, gunbroker or otherwise, for well over a year. I think it is an item that they produce a batch every once in a while, but not a regular flow of production, like apparently all RRA 1911's now are not a constant stream of production. There were a couple at an LGS summer of 2020 and a bunch of new ones on Gunbroker in the spring and summer of 2020. I don't think I have seen one for sale since.

Shoots more like a full steel frame but carries more like a lightweight aluminum frame is my best description. A bit thick but the JMCK's made for the railed Springfield frames fit it just fine. The factory grip is sorta thick and felt to me like a 2011, but I had my gunsmith reduce the molded in grip bushings to take thin 1911 grips that that was just right for me. Front sight is a proprietary dovetail, rear is a novak cut. Only flaw both of mine had was the factory extractor. First one came to me used from a member here and ran great for about 1500 rounds, then some problems, I measured extractor tension and it had dropped from about 35oz new to about 12, I bent it back once (with the tool) to 30+ but it fell again. The other gun came to me factory new and was measured at only 6 oz tension! I just went ahead and replaced both with Wilson bulletproofs and all my troubles ended.

Shot one in single stack division at a local club match this summer and did not feel the least bit handicapped managing the recoil. I love my lightweight commander and my full size alloy frame DW Vigil, but these are much easier to shoot in the department of shot to shot recoil management. I am guessing a lot of that is the poly frame.
79873 good info. Thanks

camel
11-13-2021, 08:13 PM
I find when carrying aiwb that an inch off the muzzle makes a bigger difference then frame material.

With the ramped barrel and a modern heat treated frame I'm really not to concerned about my lw champion being any less rugged than a steel gun.

Carrying iwb or owb I really don't notice a difference.

If I was going to help someone find their next carry gun I'd first ask if it is going to be carried aiwb. If so then commander/champion. After that let's go shopping and see what you like.79875

Overall barrel length is a problem aiwb. Waist to leg length plus the size of your thighs are my problem

CSW
11-14-2021, 07:51 AM
I went with an alloy 9mm Commander as my carry gun, and would do so again.

Same here. Alloy framed Range officer elite champion since August 2020.
Lots of rounds thru it, no wear issues, but the gun definitely liked to be run wet.

Elwin
11-14-2021, 01:45 PM
Ok, I think there's a clue here, and it points towards getting a lightweight 9mm whenever I'm adding to the 1911 collection.

I also just realized I'm about to complete my own accidental experiment on this that would answer my question. I've been carrying a Gov. .45 backup gun the past week, which will continue through next week, while my 9mm Commander is down due to both a FUBAR grip screw bushing and needing a range outing to fully vet a new trigger install before carrying it again. I think I can say the ~6oz difference between the guns is noticeable, and I should be able to confirm that when I switch back.

The comments regarding carry position are helpful. My body shape allows me to use a 5" holster for AIWB regardless of how long the gun is, and that helps to keep the gun from tilting out, but I can see how a lighter frame would be more helpful still.

Elwin
11-14-2021, 01:47 PM
A 5" steel frame 1911 with 8+1 of 230 JHP is tolerable in a JMCK 2.0 for 16+ hours a day AIWB for me but I find a STI STACCATO C singlestack 9mm to be more perfect for AIWB carry in all seasons. It doesn't have the drama associated with double stack STI's , has a polymer grip, alloy frame, ramped barrel and decent quality to cost ratio, just wish the factory had them stippled by extreme shooters from the get go....

In a just slightly different timeline I could see myself having gone the 9mm CCO route, and that gun would be a very strong contender. It's a great collection of features at its price point.

45dotACP
11-14-2021, 02:39 PM
I'm a big apologist for the RRA poly framed 1911. I wore one regularly when I still carried 1911s I wanted a .45 that I didn't have to worry about getting banged up. At the time I had the gun that I built and kinda have an attachment to, so that wasn't gonna happen, and that was it. Bonus points that it was light and easy to shoot, even with my preferred defense ammo (which is HST +P 230gr)

That it was about the same price as a Kimber or Springfield was interesting, because the thing shoots circles around most guns. I'd venture to say it is the most accurate .45 I have...and that's saying a great deal.

I think it's probably bullseye level accuracy for entry level money, which I was amazed by.

It did need tweaking for me as well (sight regulation, brutally stiff thumb safety, extractor tension that I adjusted before even firing a round through it) but if you expect a 800/900 dollar 1911 to be perfectly set up for you, you're probably gonna be disappointed. I have had to tweak every 1911 I own. Most things I can easily fix. I can't easily fix a poorly done barrel fit that won't produce accuracy.

And buy a steel bushing wrench. I'm not kidding.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Skinner Precision, LLC
11-14-2021, 04:57 PM
In a just slightly different timeline I could see myself having gone the 9mm CCO route, and that gun would be a very strong contender. It's a great collection of features at its price point.

Staccato R's (now discontinued) are the full size equivalent with the same feature set....

Amp
11-14-2021, 05:13 PM
I've carried a 5 inch steel frame 1911 almost everyday for 30 years and with a good belt and holster the weight doesn't bother me. It is more comfortable to carry for me than my Glock 17, especially IWB.

A shooting buddy bought a 5 inch .45acp Dan Wesson Vigil recently and it piqued my interest in a lightweight full size 1911 but the gun was not reliable with 8rd magazines, it would only run with 7 round mags. A sample of one I know but I have seen other lightweight .45acp 1911s with ramped barrels not run as reliably as ones with the traditional 2 piece feed ramp. A ramped barrel works great in 9mm, .38 Super, .40SW and 10mm but not so well in .45acp.

45dotACP What setup does the RRA poly frame use?

03RN
11-14-2021, 10:25 PM
I've carried a 5 inch steel frame 1911 almost everyday for 30 years and with a good belt and holster the weight doesn't bother me. It is more comfortable to carry for me than my Glock 17, especially IWB.

A shooting buddy bought a 5 inch .45acp Dan Wesson Vigil recently and it piqued my interest in a lightweight full size 1911 but the gun was not reliable with 8rd magazines, it would only run with 7 round mags. A sample of one I know but I have seen other lightweight .45acp 1911s with ramped barrels not run as reliably as ones with the traditional 2 piece feed ramp. A ramped barrel works great in 9mm, .38 Super, .40SW and 10mm but not so well in .45acp.

I've had 2 Springfield champions (still have one) with ramped barrels and heavily used and saw used a friend's 5" LW operator. I can only speak very highly of all of them

TGS
11-15-2021, 10:21 AM
For some reason I feel like we have more people voting than people who actually carry 1911s.

Elwin
11-15-2021, 10:23 AM
For some reason I feel like we have more people voting than people who actually carry 1911s.

It's definitely more responses than I expected.

JAD
11-15-2021, 11:20 AM

Just in case I'm the lone voice, I really prefer 1911s of all shapes and sizes in .45. I carry them and shoot them in classes regularly.

Elwin
11-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Just in case I'm the lone voice, I really prefer 1911s of all shapes and sizes in .45. I carry them and shoot them in classes regularly.

I'm liking the 9mm Commander a lot so far, but if it turns into the mag-fiddling, questionable reliability, gremlins in the gun nightmare of an experience other people have had with 9s, I won't hesitate to turn this gun into a lightweight 5" in .45 and carry on happily with that. It would have the advantage of standardizing on one caliber for the gun type, though in ammo scarce times I also appreciate having more than one caliber I can shoot and carry - depending on what I have at a given time, I've switched back and forth between shooting only .45 and only 9mm lately.

I think some people have finally figured the 9mm 1911 out, but we'll see.

CSW
11-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Ed Brown 9mm 1911 mags.
100% flawless feeding.

NPV
11-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Ever since moving to the SME/JMCK 2.5 about 4 years ago the weight of a 5” steel gun never has bothered me. I will say when I still was carrying at 4 o’clock my back noticed the weight. At this point I don’t have a strong inclination to go down the aluminum rabbit hole as long as the steel gun stays manageable to carry.

rdtompki
11-15-2021, 03:11 PM
I've recently switched my EDC from HK (P2000/P30SK) to a Staccato C based on the >80K rounds of practice and competition with my steel 9mm full-size 1911. Also have a 4" barrel steel Kimber. I definitely notice the weight difference between the Kimber and Staccato but it's more a question of how the guns ride in my 4pm IWB carry configuration. When I was cycling a lot my butt was a lot bigger to that helped keep things in place without getting carried away with belt tension. Since then I've gotten really old, my butt has shrunk, and the Staccato is a bit easier to keep in place. The "C" is just as accurate, has no more recoil, and with a 9 round mag plus grip tape I get just as good a purchase on the officer grip as on the Kimber full-size grip. YMMV.

Oh, and with 2 matches/month (max) and a few classes a year I don't feel as though I'll wear out the "C" with the length of runway in front of me:)

Chuck Whitlock
11-16-2021, 08:53 AM
I'm experimenting with this concept as well, and evaluating my 9mm LW Champion and all-SS .45 Commander. I can say so far that the heavier frame (and magazine stack) is more noticeable OWB than IWB @~3:30.

Elwin
11-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Ever since moving to the SME/JMCK 2.5 about 4 years ago the weight of a 5” steel gun never has bothered me. I will say when I still was carrying at 4 o’clock my back noticed the weight. At this point I don’t have a strong inclination to go down the aluminum rabbit hole as long as the steel gun stays manageable to carry.

That's particularly helpful, thanks - and I'll note that when I thought of posting this, you were one of a few members I had in mind who I was pretty sure made a steel Government model their primary carry. I still think I can notice the weight difference between my steel Gov. and my steel 4" gun, and like others I think I may appreciate something yet lighter; but I'd also definitely agree that the Gov. isn't exactly a problem to carry. Mine also ride in JMCK AIWB holsters, either a 2.0 or a 2.5.

45dotACP
11-16-2021, 10:03 AM

The poly RRA uses the traditional two piece set up for .45

I tend to prefer a ramped barrel for 9mm 1911s, as my most finicky gun is a colt commander in 9mm and uses a two piece format as well. Since getting the extractor right it's been decent though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Rex G
11-16-2021, 10:31 AM

I never learned to like carrying any blocky, wide-body pistol IWB, much less AIWB. A 1911 works fine, for me, IWB, except that my right shoulder is not liking to articulate so much, any more, to enable my long monkey arm to get a 5” 1911 clear of the waistline. I am about to start experimenting with a lefty JMCK George, that I found pre-owned, as part of a larger general experiment in using most or all auto-loaders left-handed. (I was born left-handed, but right-armed, so, left-hand trigger-pulling is not intimidating; the problem is overcoming 37+ years of reflexively reaching toward my right hip, in a defensive emergency.)

NPV
11-16-2021, 06:20 PM
That's particularly helpful, thanks - and I'll note that when I thought of posting this, you were one of a few members I had in mind who I was pretty sure made a steel Government model their primary carry. I still think I can notice the weight difference between my steel Gov. and my steel 4" gun, and like others I think I may appreciate something yet lighter; but I'd also definitely agree that the Gov. isn't exactly a problem to carry. Mine also ride in JMCK AIWB holsters, either a 2.0 or a 2.5.

The right belt has also made a difference, I was stuck on leather gun belts for far too long. Moved to a 5 stitch Wilderness EDC and couldn’t be happier, aside from the sounds Velcro makes and general aesthetics. Speaking of I’m going to need a smaller belt so I may give a Mastermind a try in the near future.

I won’t say that steel is necessarily the best option and I’m sure a lightweight commander or aluminum framed Government would be more comfortable for carry. But after going far too deep down too many rabbit holes (not just with guns) I’ve learned at some point just don’t fuck with it.

Plus I only own steel Governments so there’s that.

NPV
11-16-2021, 06:23 PM
I'm experimenting with this concept as well, and evaluating my 9mm LW Champion and all-SS .45 Commander. I can say so far that the heavier frame (and magazine stack) is more noticeable OWB than IWB @~3:30.

Steel guns OWB, especially if using something like a high ride pancake, basically turn into a lever trying to tilt away from your body in my experience. YMMV, if going OWB with a steel gun it’s gotta be a low drop field holster for me.

Elwin
11-16-2021, 06:56 PM
Speaking of I’m going to need a smaller belt so I may give a Mastermind a try in the near future.

My Mastermind D-Ring is handling the weight of 1911s just as well as the stiffer belt I was using before it, while being much more comfortable. I’m a huge fan.

Edit - plus, no Velcro noises!

Chuck Whitlock
11-17-2021, 10:12 AM
The right belt has also made a difference, I was stuck on leather gun belts for far too long. Moved to a 5 stitch Wilderness EDC and couldn’t be happier, aside from the sounds Velcro makes and general aesthetics. Speaking of I’m going to need a smaller belt so I may give a Mastermind a try in the near future.

I found that, with it's polymer backing, Magpul's Tejas belt provides great support and the aesthetics I'm looking for in an OWB rig. It is too stiff to work for me for IWB.

My Wilderness FF belts work well OWB or IWB.

My Mastermind D-Ring is handling the weight of 1911s just as well as the stiffer belt I was using before it, while being much more comfortable. I’m a huge fan.
Edit - plus, no Velcro noises!

Interesting. I recently got a MM D-ring. Insanely comfortable for IWB.....so much so that I assumed it would be too saggy OWB. Now I'm going to have to try it and see.

JohnO
11-17-2021, 10:20 AM

No you are not a lone voice!

The 1911 is my preference. I shoot steel guns in classes and carry an AL frame gun. All .45 ACP as JMB designed it.

I believe in the old adage. Steel frame guns should be shot a lot and carried a little. Aluminum frame guns should be carried a lot and shot a little.

There is no difference for me in how they shoot just more pleasurable to carry the AL frame.

Elwin
11-17-2021, 11:06 AM
Interesting. I recently got a MM D-ring. Insanely comfortable for IWB.....so much so that I assumed it would be too saggy OWB. Now I'm going to have to try it and see.

To be clear, I pretty much exclusively carry AIWB, so that's my comparison between the D-ring and the conventional scuba webbing belt I was using before. I would guess the D-ring is a bit floppy for OWB, at least with heavy guns.

NPV
11-17-2021, 11:54 AM
JohnO JAD

Count me in as a third, between my range bag (I have more mags than pictured) and my spare parts drawer I can’t imagine moving to a different chambering at this point.

Chuck Whitlock
11-17-2021, 12:09 PM
To be clear, I pretty much exclusively carry AIWB, so that's my comparison between the D-ring and the conventional scuba webbing belt I was using before. I would guess the D-ring is a bit floppy for OWB, at least with heavy guns.

Thanks for the clarification.

xtrtsqrt11
11-19-2021, 04:25 PM
My ideal carry 1911 would be a LW CCO variant.
In .45 with a standard barrel but with a steel feed ramp insert to protect the feed ramp from mags or even rounds just hitting it.
4.25" barrel for the standard bushing.
With a high cut front strap it would give me enough room (barely) on the frame.

My current .45 LW Commander is a good carry gun, but one of these days...

Elwin
11-22-2021, 10:00 AM
I got the grip screw bushing on my EVO replaced and fully vetted my trigger installation at the range yesterday, so I'm back to carrying it. I do notice a real difference between the 34oz gun and 9mm spare mags I'm carrying now and the 42oz gun and .45 spare mags I was carrying yesterday and the weeks prior, so I think I've confirmed that an ounce just means more than I thought it did, and a lightweight 9mm would be about that much better again.

On the wish list it goes...

03RN
11-22-2021, 07:00 PM
I got the grip screw bushing on my EVO replaced and fully vetted my trigger installation at the range yesterday, so I'm back to carrying it. I do notice a real difference between the 34oz gun and 9mm spare mags I'm carrying now and the 42oz gun and .45 spare mags I was carrying yesterday and the weeks prior, so I think I've confirmed that an ounce just means more than I thought it did, and a lightweight 9mm would be about that much better again.

On the wish list it goes...
I'm away from home right now for a few days with the family. Got my loaded and 3 spair mags on my belt. It's a very comfortable setup. I'm not carrying a radio, cuffs, baton etc. Just a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

Robinson
11-23-2021, 08:40 AM
Ed Brown 9mm 1911 mags.
100% flawless feeding.

That's my experience so far too.

Robinson
11-23-2021, 08:46 AM

A Government Model 45 is still my favorite pistol to shoot, though 9mm in a 1911 is plenty fun.

I have a couple of 38 Super guns mostly because back when 9mm and 45ACP were difficult to get there was plenty of 38 Super available at close to normal prices for about a solid half a year and I stocked up on it. I finally have a couple 9mm Commanders that seem really solid so they've been getting a lot of use lately -- and one will probably become my carry gun soon if they keep running with no problems.

Chuck Whitlock
11-24-2021, 09:41 PM

A further data point: A Kramer pancake scabbard supports and/or distributes the weight of the SS .45 Commander much better than the Galco Speed Master 2.0 w/belt loop. Enough so that my desire for a Springfield Ronin LWC has cooled somewhat.

03RN
11-24-2021, 09:58 PM
A further data point: A Kramer pancake scabbard supports and/or distributes the weight of the SS .45 Commander much better than the Galco Speed Master 2.0 w/belt loop. Enough so that my desire for a Springfield Ronin LWC has cooled somewhat.

I carried a 4" redhawk in a Kramer holster for a year. Kramer makes good stuff.

CSW
11-25-2021, 06:09 AM
I have been toting my RO Elite in a Tenicor Certum3 for just about a year now.
The Certum comes with a warning that it will cause finish wear. I was aware of that when I bought it, and the svelte carry of this holster outweigh the wear.

What I have come to see is that the Black-T finish wears more than I thought it would, but there's no wear on the alloy frame. I get that there's different contact points, but the fact that there's no wear on the frame is odd.