PDA

View Full Version : S&W Bodyguard 380

Doc_Glock
11-09-2021, 02:30 PM
So one of these followed me home today.

I am back on a pocket pistol kick and while I have tried many in the genre, I have never tried the S&W.

I saw a very lightly used one on consignment for a decent price and asked to look at it some quick observations:

Safety: Boo.

Hmmm feels very solidly built. Certainly a step up from the LCPs I am used to.

What the....DAO trigger! Very nice 8-9lb smooth trigger. I like that a lot.

Striker block in the slide. (very tiny).

Nice magazines.

So I had to take it home. My very good experience with the LCP MAX has restored my faith in little pistols enough to try another one.

Hopefully it will run, which is not at all a given in my experience with pocket pistols. And hopefully I can delete the safety. If both those things happen I could see this as my go to pocket gun.

JCN
11-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Hopefully it will run, which is not at all a given in my experience with pocket pistols. And hopefully I can delete the safety. If both those things happen I could see this as my go to pocket gun.

The safety is small and positive enough that it’ll never inadvertently activate.

I suppose you could grind off the lever though.

I have the Magguts +1 in mine and it has been reliable.

It’s a back pocket golf course gun for me.

Wonder9
11-09-2021, 06:31 PM
A hidden gem of a pocket rocket. The early BG 380s (sans M&P line incorporation) ruined it's reputation and the DAO puts off the striker crowd. Real sights, firing pin block, great finish, low recoil, and surprisingly accurate.

Hope S&W make a 2.0 version like a LCP MAX.

BobM
11-09-2021, 08:38 PM
I bought a slightly used one a couple months ago. I had shot a CCW student’s Bodyguard last year. She struggled a lot with the trigger pull but I liked it and had been looking for one since. So far it’s been reliable. I shot the Ohio police qualification course with it last month and have been carrying it as a backup in dress pants in a part time bailiff job. I painted the front sight with “traffic cone orange “ nail polish.
It also fits well in an old Eagle Industries fanny pack mane to hold a J frame. I ran a 5k “pump and run” with it concealed under a loose shirt.

Doc_Glock
11-09-2021, 11:14 PM
The safety is small and positive enough that it’ll never inadvertently activate.

I suppose you could grind off the lever though.

Ho Ho Ho. Now I have a DAO semi auto Pocket pistol:

Safety removal is trivial.

I took it all apart tonight and was able to reassemble it without YouTube assistance, which to me is a high compliment to the design.

The only misstep to the design is it appears the firing pin blocker and firing pin are somehow held in place by the rear sight. I had heard of this of full size M&Ps and it seems silly but I am sure they had a reason.

I took some video of my Bubba disassembly and reassembly along with my own missteps and will try to compile it into one long video for those interested in such antics.

wmu12071
11-09-2021, 11:48 PM
Chris Baker at lucky gunner has always talked positively about this gun. I Tried one in a range and didn't hate it but didn't love it either. It does have really good sights for a gun in its size class.

MattyD380
11-10-2021, 12:44 AM
I've thought about trying one of these. I handled one, once. DAO trigger seemed okay. And it felt fairly solid and well made.

I had a Seecamp to fill the pocket pistol role. It seemed to be reliable. But the parameters in which it would/could be reliable were so narrow and specific... it was a bit tiresome. Not that I shot it a lot. In any case... when I decide I need another pocket pistol, this is one I'd consider.

Also...

I think I read somewhere these things have MIM barrels. I didn't even know that was a thing. I mean, I'm not sure I'd want my Sig P220 to have a MIM barrel, but for a pocket pistol... why not?

GJM
11-10-2021, 09:08 AM
DocGlock, there is probably a joke in here about your affinity for the gun equivalent of PBR and wine with screw tops?

jh9
11-10-2021, 09:13 AM
low recoil,

Can you compare it to a Glock 42, recoil-wise?

Doc_Glock
11-10-2021, 07:50 PM
DocGlock, there is probably a joke in here about your affinity for the gun equivalent of PBR and wine with screw tops?

I am not sure which pocket pistol would be more high brow? Seecamp which only uses one sort of ammo, sometimes?

Rohrbaugh which is hard as heck to hold and needs a recoil spring replacement every few thousand rounds?

Or is it just pocket pistols in general that puts me in the mouth breather category?

JCN
11-10-2021, 07:59 PM
I am not sure which pocket pistol would be more high brow? Seecamp which only uses one sort of ammo, sometimes?

Rohrbaugh which is hard as heck to hold and needs a recoil spring replacement every few thousand rounds?

Or is it just pocket pistols in general that puts me in the mouth breather category?

Wonder9
11-10-2021, 09:04 PM
Ho Ho Ho. Now I have a DAO semi auto Pocket pistol:

Safety removal is trivial.

I took it all apart tonight and was able to reassemble it without YouTube assistance, which to me is a high compliment to the design.

The only misstep to the design is it appears the firing pin blocker and firing pin are somehow held in place by the rear sight. I had heard of this of full size M&Ps and it seems silly but I am sure they had a reason.

I took some video of my Bubba disassembly and reassembly along with my own missteps and will try to compile it into one long video for those interested in such antics.

S&W does have filler plug for OEM and Galloway Precision makes an aftermarket plug as well. The safety detent is positive enough for me to keep the safety.

Can you compare it to a Glock 42, recoil-wise?

The G42 is probably the Cadillac of .380s recoil-wise and the trigger is more conductive to accuracy. The problems for me was the trigger is no-go for pocket rocket and info on Glock's running updates to work out the bugs is lacking in information due to a small window of reasonable priced .380Auto since 2008.

wmu12071
11-11-2021, 08:50 PM
I tried one of these at the range tonight. It was way better than I remembered. Then I tried the trigger on the one they actually had for sale and it had a terrible trigger. Do the triggers clean up a lot or was that just a bad example?

BillSWPA
11-11-2021, 09:02 PM

Re: Rohrbaugh:

The recoil spring replacement window eventually dropped to 100 rounds.

The one I briefly owned could not get through a single magazine without at least two malfunctions. Part of the problem was a weak magazine spring, which was later strengthened. The other appeared to be excessively short feed lips, which appear to have been necessitated by the short feed path.

After shooting the pistol, I would have cuts on my hand.

The only good thing I can say is that Karl Rohrbaugh agreed to buy my pistol back from me.

These pistols did seem to have a cult following for a time.

Totem Polar
11-11-2021, 09:17 PM
Re: the safety, IIRC, LAPD authorized a specific run of these for off-duty carry, with the mod being no safety from the factory. A few of these leaked out onto the open market; I’d totally snap that version up if I came across one.

That’s my memory of things—granted, I’ve slept since then.

ETA:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-mp-bodyguard-380-no-thumb-safety

RE ETA:

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/04/20/lapd-adopts-ruger-sw-380-pistols/

I guess I’m still lucid, for now…
:D

4RNR
11-11-2021, 10:12 PM
Re: the safety, IIRC, LAPD authorized a specific run of these for off-duty carry, with the mod being no safety from the factory. A few of these leaked out onto the open market; I’d totally snap that version up if I came across one.

That’s my memory of things—granted, I’ve slept since then.

ETA:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-mp-bodyguard-380-no-thumb-safety

RE ETA:

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/04/20/lapd-adopts-ruger-sw-380-pistols/

I guess I’m still lucid, for now…
:DMy lgs had like 50 of the laser ones. I think they were going for around $200

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DMCutter
11-11-2021, 10:25 PM
I got one several years ago during a black Friday sale. The CT laser shit the bed in 2 range sessions and I never got around to sending it back for repairs. It's accurate but I would characterize it as plain hateful to shoot. Maybe this will inspire me to get it out and dust it off.

Doc_Glock
11-11-2021, 10:45 PM

I would not sweat the safety. It is super easy to remove. Galloway makes a plug for the frame for $9 that I have coming. I kind of worry the visible trigger pin will walk without the plug but I have not made it move in hundreds of dry fires.

Doc_Glock
11-16-2021, 05:42 PM
Got to the range and ran 100 rounds.

I installed a Galloway dummy panel for the safety and that is my recommendation since I noticed the trigger pin walking a bit with a lot of dry fire. It never walked enough to malfunction, but who knows what would have happened under live fire. Anyway. $9 of insurance.

Beautiful DA trigger, very easy for slow marksmanship although I would say the wheels come off a bit as I tried to speed up. Overall I really like it though and it is pretty comfortable for a small 380 to shoot.

Shot a 50/50 Dot T at 5 yards.

One handed shooting at any speed is difficult.

One handed shooting with my right hand caused the magazine to be released at least four times (see photo above) leading to failures to fire. After some investigation and experimentation, the cause is my index trigger finger wrapping all the way around the trigger and hitting the button under recoil. That is a no go for the pistol unless I can fix it. The fix being to grind down the button some. Something to be aware of and test if you have one of these guns.

LtDave
11-16-2021, 06:37 PM
I’ve got a couple of the earlier Bodyguard 380s with laser, both purchased in 2011. The first one I bought has a very nice trigger. Gun #2 is not quite as nice, but still serviceable. Reliability has been 100% with both. The guns group about 2.25” to 2.5” at 15 yards with a variety of loads. Most accurate ammo in both is Federal 90 gr Hydra Shok. The first gun will shoot groups under 1.25” with it.

As a comparison, my G42 is more accurate, with a plethora of loads shooting under 2” at 15 yards. The G42 is also softer shooting, but I don’t find the Smiths particularly nasty. The Smith is more concealable than the G42, especially in a pocket.

jmf552
11-17-2021, 06:53 AM
I got one a couple of years ago. It is darn handy for deep concealment or as a BUG. I did have light strikes with it when I first got it. I sent it to Smith and they replaced the firing pin. When it came back, it was worse. I sent it to Galloway for their improved lifter and a a stronger hammer spring. Now it eats any ammo I put in it. Mine has a safety, but I just ignore it. It is accurate enough. I am a long time DA revolver guy, so the trigger does not bother me. I saw a video where Jerry Miculek hit steel with a Bodyguard .380 at 200 yards on his first try, so the gun is more accurate than I am. I put XS Big Dot tritium sights on it, so my old eyes can pick up a sight picture instantly.

So it is very concealable, highly reliable, safe and at likely defense distances I can hit with it. What's not to like?

boing
11-19-2021, 08:39 PM
I think I read somewhere these things have MIM barrels.

This raised a lot of eyebrows when the guns first came out, including mine. Especially as the earlier guns had a crude mold seam along the top of the chamber hood. It was a real “WTF, S&W…?” moment to see it like that. I guess the new ones are finished a little nicer.

If there have been chronic barrel failures, I haven’t heard about it, and I’m not opposed to new technology that works. They seem to have it figured out.

The true double action trigger is a big plus for me over the LCP, even if just for easier dry firing practice. I’d like to see Smith come out with a MAX version, hopefully just as .380 ammo supplies overwhelm the market at rock bottom prices. :/

TGS
11-19-2021, 09:23 PM
One handed shooting with my right hand caused the magazine to be released at least four times (see photo above) leading to failures to fire. After some investigation and experimentation, the cause is my index trigger finger wrapping all the way around the trigger and hitting the button under recoil. That is a no go for the pistol unless I can fix it. The fix being to grind down the button some. Something to be aware of and test if you have one of these guns.

That's interesting!

I'll add that to my list of reasons I wish manufacturers would use heel releases on BUGs/pocket guns.

TheNewbie
11-19-2021, 09:59 PM
That's interesting!

I'll add that to my list of reasons I wish manufacturers would use heel releases on BUGs/pocket guns.

A coworker had one in a OWB holster off duty. I looked at it and saw his mag was sticking out, and he said it was an issue. Hopefully grinding it down will work.

This was never an issue for me with the LCP.

The Beretta Pico has an interesting release. Has any tried one of those?

jnc36rcpd
11-19-2021, 10:24 PM
An officer at my former agency inquired about the Ruger LCP several years ago. Since she admittedly does not "do frumpy" off duty (which, after socializing with her, I'd say is a good thing), she wanted something smaller than what I'd recommend. We carried DA/SA SIG 226's at the time and I steered her toward the Bodyguard. She carried that for several years.

In its limited usage, her pistol was reliable and accurate. The DAO trigger was a workout for someone carrying a DA/SA pistol. (We ahot the same COF for duty and off-duty weapons.) Overall, it was a good choice for her at the time.

Fast forward, the agency was now carrying the unlamented FNS-9 and the Glock 43 came on the market. She transitioned to the G-43. In the epilogue, she now shoots nineties to 100 with her new agency's Glock 17.

Doc_Glock
07-02-2022, 09:07 PM
I have continued to have intermittent and unexplainable dropping of the magazine with this pistol. It happens mid mag when shooting right handed.

Initially I thought it was my trigger finger hitting the button under recoil. At this point though, I have shaved down the mag release so far I have to use a tool to remove the magazine. The most infuriating aspect is it seems totally random.

I had one mag fall three times in six rounds today so I was sure I had it isolated: bad mag! Then I reloaded that mag and went 18 rounds with no issues all shooting the same way. Shaking my head at this and I guess next step is just replacing the mag release and spring completely, or sending it back to S&W.

Still love the DAO trigger.

Totem Polar
07-03-2022, 10:52 AM
I have continued to have intermittent and unexplainable dropping of the magazine with this pistol. It happens mid mag when shooting right handed.

Initially I thought it was my trigger finger hitting the button under recoil. At this point though, I have shaved down the mag release so far I have to use a tool to remove the magazine. The most infuriating aspect is it seems totally random.

I had one mag fall three times in six rounds today so I was sure I had it isolated: bad mag! Then I reloaded that mag and went 18 rounds with no issues all shooting the same way. Shaking my head at this and I guess next step is just replacing the mag release and spring completely, or sending it back to S&W.

Still love the DAO trigger.

I’d most def change the mag release spring. Those little .380 guns slam around a lot under recoil, relative to their own size and weight—that spring might be at the edge of reliability and getting over compressed to the point of letting go during the cycle. JMO.

Wonder9
07-05-2022, 12:34 AM
I have continued to have intermittent and unexplainable dropping of the magazine with this pistol.

S&W revised the magazine release from polymer to metal due to that issue. You can check with a magnet, but I would replace the magazine catch & spring regardless.

Doc_Glock
07-05-2022, 11:59 AM
S&W revised the magazine release from polymer to metal due to that issue. You can check with a magnet, but I would replace the magazine catch & spring regardless.

Mine is metal.

Wonder9
07-06-2022, 03:43 PM
Mine is metal.

I would replace the catch or just send it back to the Mothership if that is the case.

Doc_Glock
04-01-2023, 10:32 PM
Well this pistol say around a bit while I waited for a mag release to come into stock somewhere. I replaced it and it seems that after 50 rounds of testing that the mag drop problem is solved.

I like the true DA trigger of this pocket pistol best of all of them. But the LCP Max has won my loyalty and now 6+1 just doesn’t seem like enough.

Anyway the BG380 seems a decent little gun.

BobM
04-02-2023, 09:53 AM
I still like my Bodyguard. I’m still using it as a BUG when wearing suit pants working at the courthouse. It rides in those pockets better than the 642 I usually carry that way.