PDA

View Full Version : QAnon Supporters Await JFK Jr. in Dealey Plaza

Chance
11-03-2021, 06:46 PM
No, the headline didn't make any sense to me either. From Dallas Morning News (https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/11/02/qanon-supporters-gather-in-downtown-dallas-expecting-jfk-jr-to-reappear/):

Scores of QAnon believers gathered Tuesday afternoon in downtown Dallas in the hopes that John F. Kennedy Jr. would appear, heralding the reinstatement of Donald Trump as president.

The supporters first gathered Monday night in downtown Dallas, and about 1 p.m. Tuesday there were several hundred people near Dealey Plaza, where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Kennedy’s son died in a plane crash in 1999 at age 38, but some supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory believe that he has spent the last 22 years in hiding. They think John F. Kennedy Jr. will reappear at the plaza before midnight Tuesday....

Experts who have been following QAnon since its inception said that even they were surprised by the number of people who showed up Tuesday in Dallas.

”Frankly, I’m kind of shocked at how many people turned out for this,” said Jared Holt, a resident fellow at the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab who researches domestic extremism. “This wasn’t a widespread belief, even among QAnon followers.”

QAnon is an umbrella group, in which different segments don’t always agree on ideologies, Holt said. He believes Tuesday’s event grew out of chat channels that are obsessed with numerology.

Posts in those channels indicated JFK Jr. would reveal himself Tuesday, but Holt said he was uncertain why believers decided he would pick Dallas, the site of his father’s death, of all places, to reveal himself.

I'm sure some of those folks just showed up for the party, but the fact this was even a theory is... great.

fatdog
11-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Some times I think a lot of the QAnon people are just having fun with tormenting the leftists and really don't believe any of it.

SecondsCount
11-03-2021, 08:25 PM
What 3 letter agency is behind this?

Joe in PNG
11-03-2021, 08:28 PM
"Okay, let's see what ridiculous crap we can get people to go along with this time."

Hieronymous
11-03-2021, 11:37 PM
I have a well educated, retired insurance executive neighbor who has been slowly warped by her following/fixation with QAnon and other odd conservative conspiracies. She thinks Trump is still actually the President, Melania is really Princess Diana in some kind of suit, John Durham was unsealing 240,000 indictments (can you imagine?). In early October she shared that Trump was going to introduce JFK, Jr. There’s more wacky stuff but I can’t bring myself to type it.

I am honestly curious about the reasons why people can get duped into believing stuff like this. It’s almost cult like.

Joe in PNG
11-03-2021, 11:47 PM
I have a well educated, retired insurance executive neighbor who has been slowly warped by her following/fixation with QAnon and other odd conservative conspiracies. She thinks Trump is still actually the President, Melania is really Princess Diana in some kind of suit, John Durham was unsealing 240,000 indictments (can you imagine?). In early October she shared that Trump was going to introduce JFK, Jr. There’s more wacky stuff but I can’t bring myself to type it.

I am honestly curious about the reasons why people can get duped into believing stuff like this. It’s almost cult like.

Start here- United States of Paranoia. (https://www.amazon.com/United-States-Paranoia-Conspiracy-Theory/dp/0062135562/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3H7YZFQA3ABQ0&keywords=united+states+of+paranoia&qid=1636000921&sprefix=united+states+of+par%2Caps%2C447&sr=8-1)

My theory is that the idea that events are under control is more appealing than chaos. That some human (or near enough) agency is making thing go according to some plan, even if it is an evil and malign plan, is more comforting to some than the idea that most leaders are in over their heads, are making things up as they go along, and really don't know what they are doing.

And experience has shown that most people would rather make facts up than to face an inconvenient reality.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2021, 12:04 AM
Melania is really Princess Diana in some kind of suit

I got this far and nearly keeled over laughing. Please tell me you followed up to ask exactly what kind of suit she was suggesting it was.

Hieronymous
11-04-2021, 12:10 AM
Honestly, I was shocked and didn’t know (and still don’t) how to politely tell her she’d lost her mind. Plus, she lets my dog live with her when my family goes on vacation, so selfishly I also can’t bring myself to sabotage that arrangement!

Ed L
11-04-2021, 12:19 AM
I'm wondering how many of these people are live action role players pretending to be Qanon believers.

Someone needs to hijack the twitter account of some high level celebrity who the Qanon people would be obsessed with and post this message: "All QAnon supporters: mandatory meeting outside of FBI headquarters in Washington. Please retweet."

The movie that I'm hoping they make is Harold and Kumar join Qanon.

Joe in PNG
11-04-2021, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I was shocked and didn’t know (and still don’t) how to politely tell her she’d lost her mind. Plus, she lets my dog live with her when my family goes on vacation, so selfishly I also can’t bring myself to sabotage that arrangement!

One of the more useless and absolutely frustrating activities is trying to argue with a conspiracy theorist. My sister's first husband was of the Jihad Wing of the King James Only Fundamentalist cult (and an abuser, but we didn't know that until she left him). His irrationality was proof against any mere facts, but he sure loved the kookiest of arguments, especially numerology.

Joe in PNG
11-04-2021, 12:25 AM
I'm wondering how many of these people are live action role players pretending to be Qanon believers.

Someone needs to hijack the twitter account of some high level celebrity who the Qanon people would be obsessed with and post this message: "All QAnon supporters: mandatory meeting outside of FBI headquarters in Washington. Please retweet."

The movie that I'm hoping they make is Harold and Kumar join Qanon.

Half the people are trolls trying to see what nonsense the suckers will buy.
Half the rest are trolls egging on the first half to see what nonsense the idiots will post.
And then there's those who aren't in on the joke.

Chance
11-04-2021, 08:05 AM
I have been tempted to dismiss this zany QAnon stuff as one, gigantic trolling campaign, but the handful of encounters I've had with those folks have taught me that many are dead serious.

jetfire
11-04-2021, 08:15 AM

Very few if any

TGS
11-04-2021, 08:31 AM
One of the more useless and absolutely frustrating activities is trying to argue with a conspiracy theorist.

Let me point you to one of our larger threads in the politics sub-forum.....

blues
11-04-2021, 08:57 AM
This crap is seriously depressing.

BobLoblaw
11-04-2021, 10:30 AM
I think much of the QAnon phenomenon is due to the lie machine that major media has become. The QAnon propagators (a.k.a. trolls) think that if MSM can outright lie, why can't I? The regurgitators are trying the fill the void of what used to be considered journalism and attempt to monetize (financially or socially) their own truther channels. Then you have the poor true believers who suck at the internet and their distrust of the media has caused them to believe everyone except MSM and the more pushback from MSM, the more they see QAnon as being truthful. After all, are you going to listen to known deception artists or these seemingly average Joe's?

I have family members who have bought into some of this. Trust in their aging true believer friends is what caused most of the issues.

MK11
11-04-2021, 10:54 AM
I think much of the QAnon phenomenon is due to the lie machine that major media has become. The QAnon propagators (a.k.a. trolls) think that if MSM can outright lie, why can't I? The regurgitators are trying the fill the void of what used to be considered journalism and attempt to monetize (financially or socially) their own truther channels. Then you have the poor true believers who suck at the internet and their distrust of the media has caused them to believe everyone except MSM and the more pushback from MSM, the more they see QAnon as being truthful. After all, are you going to listen to known deception artists or these seemingly average Joe's?

I have family members who have bought into some of this. Trust in their aging true believer friends is what caused most of the issues.

It's a pretty far leap from thinking mainstream media lies to embracing the idea that a Kennedy is coming back from the dead to usher in a new era of Trump.

Or maybe it's not such a leap. Maybe it's a teensy step for the type of person who would buy into that.

Moylan
11-04-2021, 12:59 PM
The thing is that lefties buy into stunningly idiotic and horrifically corrosive conspiracy theories like CRT because those theories tickle their fancies and because they have never been taught the fundamentals of how to think clearly and dispassionately, nor have they ever learned anything substantive about the past.

But righties go to the same schools as lefties. So...... you know, QAnon or whatever. It's not like it's dumber or eviler than CRT. Just tickles different fancies.

hiro
11-04-2021, 01:05 PM

You know she's brain washing your dog, don't you?

(I'm only half joking)

Hieronymous
11-04-2021, 01:29 PM

I agree this is likely a significant factor, on both sides. As noted, Liberals get further pushed to the left as MSM is for them largely an echo chamber comprised of journalists who are ideologically not representative of mainstream democrats, so when you listen to Rachel Maddow or Joy Reid, you end up falling into lockstep with stuff you might in other times have rejected.

So it is for conservatives, for years most have been aware(RIP Rush) that MSM is either overtly lying about stuff, or regularly committing for lack of a better term, "Journalistic Sins of Omissions" by failing to report on stories which in some way detract from their ideological world view, be it the Biden Laptop story, or many factually true, but positive stories about Republican administrations. So we migrated to Fox, Newsmax, Breitbart ( not saying these are necessarily bad), then maybe we were exposed to Gateway Pundit, or Alex Jones, and then to sources such as QAnon, etc. where any semblance of balance is extirpated.

Because evidently the economics of this suggests being all in for one world view is more profitable (after all, outrage = clicks, equals add revenue), I have no idea how we will ever benefit form a network or news source that can actually claim to be providing that necessary yin/yang tension that we need for honest reporting.

hiro
11-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Ya know how HCM has a favourite saying that gun companies aren't in business to make guns? It strikes me that the same rule can be applied to any business, media companies included. They don't care about truth or right or wrong, sure, some might try to dress it up a little and talk all high and mighty, but really, they're just trying to make money. Doesn't matter which side of the fence, all the same shit...

MK11
11-04-2021, 02:40 PM
The thing is that lefties buy into stunningly idiotic and horrifically corrosive conspiracy theories like CRT because those theories tickle their fancies and because they have never been taught the fundamentals of how to think clearly and dispassionately, nor have they ever learned anything substantive about the past.

But righties go to the same schools as lefties. So...... you know, QAnon or whatever. It's not like it's dumber or eviler than CRT. Just tickles different fancies.

Racism is real. Slavery was real. CRT is BS (and if you want to say it's more evil than QAnon you may have a point) but it's not based on things that are complete fantasies.

Donald Trump battling an international cabal of child molesters is not real. JFK Jr. rising from grave to usher Trump back into the White House is not real.

Critical thinking (I wonder what alt-right podcast Jordan Peterson mentioned that on, it's come up a lot lately) is being able to evaluate a thing for what it is, not excusing it by saying, "....but, but THE LEFT...."

1911Nut
11-04-2021, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=hiro;1283719]You know she's brain washing your dog, don't you?

Also . . . . how long have you had your dog? Are you SURE he is even a dog???

hiro
11-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Does your dog lick it's own eyeballs?

#lizardmodsareshit (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=lizardmodsareshit)

This post will mysteriously disappear. Or will it?

BehindBlueI's
11-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I used to think "there is no way anybody could be so stupid as to...."

A career in law enforcement has broken me of that. I've no doubt some of the people are trolling, but having seen so many people invest time and money in blatantly obvious scams, cons, and rip-offs plus dealing with the various does-that-flag-have-a-fringe-elements I have no trouble accepting that enough of the population truly believes it to get a decent turn out.

I mean, if 1 in 1,000 believes it, that's roughly a third of a million Americans...

Moylan
11-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Racism is real. Slavery was real. CRT is BS (and if you want to say it's more evil than QAnon you may have a point) but it's not based on things that are complete fantasies.

Donald Trump battling an international cabal of child molesters is not real. JFK Jr. rising from grave to usher Trump back into the White House is not real.
I wouldn't say it's more or less evil than QAnon. I only say they're both completely nuts. The fact that racism is real and not a complete fantasy (granted) does not suggest that CRT is not a complete fantasy. It is a complete fantasy, irrespective of whether it's based wholly on complete fantasies. I don't know anything about QAnon apart from its being nutty, but I'm confident you could find plenty of facts upon which the thing is premises that are indeed real. That doesn't mean the thing itself is real.

But my point is quite simple, really, and not directly related to any of this. The point is that everyone wants to claim to belong to the reasonable tribe, but we don't teach people in this country how to use reason, left or right. So it's hard for me to get very surprised by people showing up looking for JFK Jr. or whatever they're doing, any more than I get surprised that people think George Zimmerman cold-bloodedly murdered Trayvon Martin simply because Zimmerman hates black people. Disgusted, yes. Surprised, no.

HCM
11-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Start here- United States of Paranoia. (https://www.amazon.com/United-States-Paranoia-Conspiracy-Theory/dp/0062135562/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3H7YZFQA3ABQ0&keywords=united+states+of+paranoia&qid=1636000921&sprefix=united+states+of+par%2Caps%2C447&sr=8-1)

My theory is that the idea that events are under control is more appealing than chaos. That some human (or near enough) agency is making thing go according to some plan, even if it is an evil and malign plan, is more comforting to some than the idea that most leaders are in over their heads, are making things up as they go along, and really don't know what they are doing.

And experience has shown that most people would rather make facts up than to face an inconvenient reality.

IME this right here ^^^^ explains a lot of what is going on with the Q people.

And if you have never interacted with Q people they are just as serious about their beliefs as others are about any other religious or political belief. BBI's comments are spot on as well.

HCM
11-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Ya know how HCM has a favourite saying that gun companies aren't in business to make guns? It strikes me that the same rule can be applied to any business, media companies included. They don't care about truth or right or wrong, sure, some might try to dress it up a little and talk all high and mighty, but really, they're just trying to make money. Doesn't matter which side of the fence, all the same shit...

The media creates some of the chaos (or impression of chaos) which drives the fear that make people seek solace in the false agency narratives of conspiracy theories.

But there are absolutely large numbers of people who earnestly believe in the QAnon ideology / conspiracy. Th media reports regarding the Dealy plaza gathering and the reason behind it is accurate.

45dotACP
11-04-2021, 03:47 PM
I used to think "there is no way anybody could be so stupid as to...."

A career in law enforcement has broken me of that. I've no doubt some of the people are trolling, but having seen so many people invest time and money in blatantly obvious scams, cons, and rip-offs plus dealing with the various does-that-flag-have-a-fringe-elements I have no trouble accepting that enough of the population truly believes it to get a decent turn out.

I mean, if 1 in 1,000 believes it, that's roughly a third of a million Americans...

This.

So much this. I used to believe nobody could be THAT stupid.

But people can be far more stupid than your wildest imagination. And that includes people who are literate, and sometimes even people who are intelligent

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

jh9
11-04-2021, 03:59 PM
The point is that everyone wants to claim to belong to the reasonable tribe

There is no reasonable tribe. Everyone is too busy shouting at The Others' nutters to do much of anything about their own nutters. I don't know where that goes, but I doubt it's to a place that's serving cake and ice cream.

Joe in PNG
11-04-2021, 04:09 PM
When Richard Feynman gave his famous "Cargo Cult Science (http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/CargoCult.pdf)" talk*, it was to educated people trained in the scientific method.

Humans are good at self deception.

*Link to PDF

Hot Sauce
11-04-2021, 04:19 PM
"Flood the zone with shit.”
-Steve Bannon

It's not a flood anymore, it's a tsunami.

Caballoflaco
11-04-2021, 04:47 PM
Coast to Coast has started downloading their old AM radio shows online. It’s a master class in the crazy shit people will believe in. From ghosts to faeries to UfO’s and cities at the center of the world, people call in and talk about it. The best are of course with the original host Art Bell.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/art-bell/

Ed L
11-04-2021, 05:20 PM
My latest moneymaking idea: I am going to buy a 3000 piece jigsaw puzzle and put all the pieces into a carry bag and throw the box away. I will then go to the next Qanon rally and tell people that I have the evidence of their theories in a puzzle form and I will sell them a part of it for a dollar for each piece.

Lex Luthier
11-04-2021, 06:57 PM
This.

So much this. I used to believe nobody could be THAT stupid.

But people can be far more stupid than your wildest imagination. And that includes people who are literate, and sometimes even people who are intelligent

When I was working at MSFT, there was a famous case of an employee who managed to steal and sell several million dollars worth of retail and enterprise software over a period of several years as well as embezzle other funds. It took some real work to catch him.
It came out in court that he couldn't pay restitution, because he had lost* all* of his ill-gotten gains to a

(wait for it)

...Nigerian scammer.

Sig_Fiend
11-04-2021, 10:44 PM
JFK Jr. is the second coming of conspiracy Jesus?! I mean, come on! You can just imagine the conversation trolls had to concot that gem.

What most people fail to realize is, THEY are part of the algorithm. Systems can be manipulated. Some do it for profit. Some for enjoyment.

The only realistic option is to opt out as much as possible and try to prevent yourself from contributing to the algorithm.

RevolverRob
11-04-2021, 11:18 PM

It's the same conceptual idea that events are guided by a higher entity and not chaotic that guides some people to religion*. And in turn drives them to have the same level of zealotry and lack of critical thinking as conspiracy theorists. That the Venn Diagram of Conspiracy Theorists and Religious Zealots has quite a bit of overlap should not be surprising.

*My note here is that there are some folks who have to believe that all events are guided, it is a fundamental aspect of their faith. While many, many others believe that free will does exist and that guidance is provided via prayer, religious texts, or otherwise. The latter accept at least some level of agency in their existence and actions. Whereas the former typically deny agency to their existence.

hiro
11-04-2021, 11:36 PM
JFK Jr. is the second coming of conspiracy Jesus?! I mean, come on! You can just imagine the conversation trolls had to concot that gem.

What most people fail to realize is, THEY are part of the algorithm. Systems can be manipulated. Some do it for profit. Some for enjoyment.

The only realistic option is to opt out as much as possible and try to prevent yourself from contributing to the algorithm.

I think you have recently binge watched The Matrix trilogy.

This thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?856-Changing-User-Name) may help you assume your correct identity, Neo

45dotACP
11-05-2021, 06:39 AM
This kind of thing sorta reminds me of martial arts instructors who teach "no touch knockouts" and the use of chi and pressure points and all that goofy shit.

They have students...lots of students....who ardently believe that their sensei knocked them unconscious just by touching them lightly on the forehead or some shit. The level of self deception is so huge.

In reality, there is no such thing. There aren't any no touch knockouts and their chi blasts won't actually even faze a person who has a cardio kickboxing class and some ill intent.

But their belief makes them feel better. Much like a cult.

And that is what I think Qanon is. Just an online cult. Complete with it's silly beliefs.

Stephanie B
11-05-2021, 09:16 AM
I once knew someone who was really far gone as a conspiracy nut.

It wasn't me who snuck into her crawl space and installed a wireless network hub labelled "NSA Monitoring Station #573" with a really strong password.

Wasn't me at all.