PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About My M64 Before Shipping it To S&W

FrankB
10-29-2021, 12:45 PM
When I bought the revolver, I measure .008” B/C gap. After shooting and cleaning a few times, the gap is now .010-.011, depending on the rotation of the cylinder. S&W sent me a return label, and said they’re running about six weeks out right now. It’s not spitting, but +P loads send a good flame outward from the gap. The CS rep didn’t say that gap was within spec, as is often posted online.
Thanks for any answer!

revchuck38
10-29-2021, 12:52 PM
FrankB - What's the question?

FrankB
10-29-2021, 12:56 PM
FrankB - What's the question?
Should I be an impatient dope, and keep shooting it, or send it back? 😁😳

Wingate's Hairbrush
10-29-2021, 01:01 PM
I'm not certain the question either, but if it's what constitutes "within spec", .010" is the limit per S&W. Frank, make sure you're holding the cylinder rearward when you measure, and that you measure each charge hole -- it would be odd for shooting and cleaning just a few times to open things up almost .003" unless the measurements were off. If she's shooting true you may want to hold off correcting gap.

What barrel length and dash version is your 64?

revchuck38
10-29-2021, 01:04 PM
Should I be an impatient dope, and keep shooting it, or send it back? 😁😳

Send it back. You'll be kicking yourself for as long as you own the gun if you don't.

FrankB
10-29-2021, 01:07 PM
Send it back. You'll be kicking yourself for as long as you own the gun if you don't.
Heading to FedEx now. I really hate to wait for toys. I used to have very high end classical guitars shipped overnight, and that still wasn’t soon enough. 😳

Jim Watson
10-29-2021, 01:08 PM
We can hope the SW warranty clerk fixes it.
Pinnacle charges $130 to set the barrel back for gap correction and recut forcing cone.

OlongJohnson
10-29-2021, 01:12 PM
I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.

Wingate's Hairbrush
10-29-2021, 01:14 PM
We can hope the SW warranty clerk fixes it.
Pinnacle charges $130 to set the barrel back for gap correction and recut forcing cone.That's the better answer, I think. Unless the 64 is modern era and new bought and S&W has to ship on their dime and correct it under warranty -- and keep doing so until they get it right -- I'd also send it to Pinnacle or any of the other top revolver shops.

S&W repair isn't what it used to be.

Too, a gap around .010" is no big deal provided it's shooting properly; there's little to gain in narrowing it.

Wingate's Hairbrush
10-29-2021, 01:27 PM
I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.Alas, this.

FrankB
10-29-2021, 01:47 PM
Oh Man! I just dropped it off. It should be noted that my Colt King Cobra is out to be repaired as well. I was cleaning it after a range trip, and notice that the very tail of the hammer spur wasn’t there(!!!). This leaves me with just six revolvers to shoot.

FrankB
10-29-2021, 01:55 PM
I'm not certain the question either, but if it's what constitutes "within spec", .010" is the limit per S&W. Frank, make sure you're holding the cylinder rearward when you measure, and that you measure each charge hole -- it would be odd for shooting and cleaning just a few times to open things up almost .003" unless the measurements were off. If she's shooting true you may want to hold off correcting gap.

What barrel length and dash version is your 64?

This revolver has absolutely zero end shake. The barrel length is 4”. I did install a new cylinder. The original wobbled, but the new barrel and bushing cleared that right up. The .010-.011 readings were the same with both cylinders. It’s very accurate. I wonder if I should call FedEx and have them pull the box.

FrankB
10-29-2021, 02:22 PM
After language barrier difficulties, I managed to get FedEx to stop the shipment. It’s supposed to be delivered back to me next Thursday.

OlongJohnson
10-29-2021, 02:27 PM
This reminds me of my dumb idea to machine S&W two-piece barrel shrouds to work with a barrel nut (maybe the Dan Wesson part could be made to work as-is) and a new barrel turned from a match-grade blank, making headspace user-configurable.

FrankB
10-29-2021, 02:33 PM
I’ve had Dave Olhasso work on two of my S&W revolvers, and he said the same thing about coming back worse from the factory. I was going to call him, and ask if he had the tool to remove a barrel sleeve, but he’s still recovering from all my of questions this past year. 😁

Jim Watson
10-29-2021, 03:04 PM
This reminds me of my dumb idea to machine S&W two-piece barrel shrouds to work with a barrel nut (maybe the Dan Wesson part could be made to work as-is) and a new barrel turned from a match-grade blank, making headspace user-configurable.

There was a shop that would do pretty much that, install a Dan Wesson shroud and barrel on a Smith and Wesson frame. The only one I saw pictured was a Model 28. The gunsmith's name was Smith so Dean Grennell, always the wit in the gunzines, called it the Smith and Smith and Wesson and Wesson.

Oldherkpilot
10-29-2021, 03:15 PM

I don't think that's such a dumb idea but a real bitch to pull off. Especially for a one-off. I much prefer my Smiths but I think the barrel nut scheme on my lone DW is pretty slick.

okie john
10-29-2021, 03:59 PM
I should not have Googled Pinnacle. Between that and the SA-35, I'm gonna be out some money.

Okie John

Stephanie B
10-29-2021, 04:56 PM
S&W sent me a return label, and said they’re running about six weeks out right now.

Closer to eight weeks. A revolver of mine has been in their hands for six weeks and I've not heard a peep from them.

OlongJohnson
10-29-2021, 10:42 PM
There was a shop that would do pretty much that, install a Dan Wesson shroud and barrel on a Smith and Wesson frame. The only one I saw pictured was a Model 28. The gunsmith's name was Smith so Dean Grennell, always the wit in the gunzines, called it the Smith and Smith and Wesson and Wesson.

Jack Weigand was offering it as a standard conversion (although he made new shrouds) on L frames 20 years ago. I emailed him to see if he still does it. Don't know his status, but I'm guessing until he responds that he only wants to sell the products on his site.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63354

This guy did it to his S&W 500 by himself (but he's a machinist by trade). Almost all the pics are gone, but the text is still there:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/other-brands-1/sw-500-with-a-dan-wesson-inspired-mod/

Cylinder & Slide has it on the web site for the S&W 500 as well. It appears to use a proud knurled nut rather than one that's recessed into the end of the shroud:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sw500.shtml

oregon45
10-29-2021, 11:58 PM
Every time I think about fixing a too-wide barrel/cylinder gap I remember the section of Hamilton Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver" where he describes the procedure of setting a barrel back to correct the gap, and notes that it essentially is the same as installing a new barrel. So, if you need to set a barrel back, it might be best to just get a new barrel while you're at it unless your current barrel has markings or features that cannot easily be replicated.

Totem Polar
10-30-2021, 12:21 AM
I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.

*slowly raises hand*

Yeah, their QC and CS both blow chimp.

JMO

FrankB
03-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Here’s a bit of good news. I finally sent my police trade in M64 to Smith and Wesson to get the B/C gap reduced, and they returned it within one month…FIXED! They reduced the gap from .011” to .008”. It’s not the .006” I requested, but it should be fine.
Arghhh! Why are my pics always upside down?!?!?

awp_101
03-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Perhaps your camera was originally intended for the Australian market?

Stephanie B
03-24-2022, 06:44 PM

Are you using an iPhone?

FrankB
03-24-2022, 06:46 PM
Stephanie B
I used an iPad.

willie
03-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Here’s a bit of good news. I finally sent my police trade in M64 to Smith and Wesson to get the B/C gap reduced, and they returned it within one month…FIXED! They reduced the gap from .011” to .008”. It’s not the .006” I requested, but it should be fine.

Does this revolver shoot accurately? I have an older NY-1 M-64, double action only snub, that's dead on. I have the Model 10 blue version of your revolver. It's a new one with the lock. I'm pleased to report that it's an outstanding specimen.

FrankB
03-24-2022, 07:19 PM
Does this revolver shoot accurately? I have an older NY-1 M-64, double action only snub, that's dead on. I have the Model 10 blue version of your revolver. It's a new one with the lock. I'm pleased to report that it's an outstanding specimen.

It’s as accurate at 25 yards as my 4” 686+ revolver. The trigger is very smooth, and the double action pull is about 8.75 lbs. I shot it today, and hit an 8” shoot and see target 46 out of 50 times at 25 yards. The cylinder was a bit sloppy when I bought it, so I replaced that and the cylinder stop.

Stephanie B
03-24-2022, 07:40 PM
Stephanie B
I used an iPad.

OK.

When you take an overhead shot, it can get confused with orientation.

After taking the photo, open it to edit and just move the margin(s) slightly. That seems to freeze the orientation.

FrankB
03-24-2022, 07:49 PM
Stephanie B
You’re a genius, Stephanie!
ETA: According to my Lyman trigger gauge, DA is 10lb 10oz, and SA is 3.3 lbs. It’s been a while since I checked it, and I don’t write the info down. Still very smooth and crisp.