PDA

View Full Version : Sig sauer P-series

virgo
08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I would like some sig professions to chime in on how a p220 would be for carry, as far as being dependable.

I don't care about the weight or size just wondering about the quality and reliability of say a Sig P220R ss elite.

Mjolnir
08-10-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm no professional but I must ask "what do or how do you define dependable"? I have seen no evidence that would lead me to believe the P220 could not sprint through three or four magazines (as many as you'd likely have on you at any given time).

A P226 would be more concealable yet still be a full-sized service pistol. If you choose to go that route try to snag a NSW-9 or the new Mk-25.

JV_
08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I have seen no evidence that would lead me to believe the P220 could not sprint through three or four magazines (as many as you'd likely have on you at any given time).Some 220s run much better than others, especially if you're comparing the internal vs. external extractor models.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?739-SIG-P220R-Malfunctions
The Elite Stainless 220 should have an external extractor.

P220 issues aside, my idea of dependable/reliable does extend beyond the number of mags I can carry on my body. All of my current handguns have passed a 2000 round challenge.

A P226 would be more concealableThe 226 and 220 are quite close in size.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/dexternikki/Sigs/IMG_3219.jpg

I would encourage you to try/shoot both a beaver-tailed Sig and a non beaver-tailed model, I prefer the models without.

JHC
08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I've not much to add about long term reliability but my briefly owned "roll pin" P220 was insanely accurate. Now that gun presented a high bore axis problem for me in recoil. P226 and P239 in 9mm, not at all.

Mjolnir mentioned the Mk25 which looks very good and I saw on another forum they will also release a M11 (alleged to be a P228). That looked like a heckuva carry pistol, with SRT from the factory.

VolGrad
08-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I have seen no evidence that would lead me to believe the P220 could not sprint through three or four magazines (as many as you'd likely have on you at any given time).Someone's been reading the Ken Hackathorn interview that came out online this week. :p

The basic service pistol, the 1911 pattern gun has gotten the job done for over a century. "I carried it daily." The question as to whether the gun will withstand a 2,000 round test or class without cleaning or lube is silly.

"My question is, "Will the gun go three magazines without choking?"" he said. "I only carry three magazines with the gun. As a practical matter, it's most important that the gun work through that load."

NEPAKevin
08-10-2012, 10:40 AM
The only reliability issues which I have run into with P220s in .45acp are the previously mentioned internal extractors on the earlier stainless slides and some of the old blued mags would open up at the feed lips or crack where they are welded. I have read that the new style stainless mags with the dimple can be ammo sensitive but have not run into any problems with them. The mags for the 9mm and 38 super P220s do not seem to last very long with any use.