PDA

View Full Version : Send it to Sokol! (BHP content)

jc000
10-20-2021, 03:12 PM
Been wanting to share this Karl Sokol Hi-Power for some time now (photos taken by my friend @cinematicarms on IG – follow him. Hire him!). Very excited and pleased to have this work done. I'd like to thank Tokarev's excellent BHP thread that brought Mr. Sokol to my attention!

I bought this 1983 used from a friend (he was probably like the 20th owner!) and sent it off for a total makeover. The gun was a not horrible, but I was hoping for something special. The trigger was pretty awful, felt like I was dragging a cinderblock with a rusty chain over gravel, so I was hoping for some improvement there beyond the aesthetic ones I was looking for.

I had an initial call with Karl which was really incredibly enjoyable – we talked for nearly an hour about what I was looking for, but then also about life in Vermont, his background… just really an excellent discussion. He drew up a spec sheet which I agreed on, and I mailed off my pistol with my deposit. Let the wait begin!

The build spec was basically a total refinish:

Trigger work
Recrown and throat/polish/check chamber
Modify thumb safety
Mag safety disconnect
Dehorning
Luster blue finish
Semi-bob hammer
Gold bead from sight, retro rear
Replace spring set
Devel style slide lock/stop modification

Mr. Sokol flattened the top of the slide due to previously bungled aftermarket front sight install, you can see what I mean in the below picture:

Before:

After:

One of my biggest inspirations here for this project was a wonderful Devel HP that I had come across online. Among other things (like the beautiful finish), I really liked the slim 1911-style slide stop that was featured on that build. Karl and I discussed the modification – he was fully accommodating though I think he halfheartedly tried to talk me out of it… :cool:.

I also opted for bluing rather than his standard Mountain Tuff finish, and it is just such a lovely gunmetal grey in person.

Besides the really nice comms with him he did a couple other things which I thought were special. For one, Karl did a magazine test for me and marked them "OK" with a marker which I thought was a really cool detail. Finally he also included a copy of an recent American Handgunning(?) article on the Devel Hi-Power which again was my inspiration for this build. It just seemed very characteristic of the thoughtfulness he displayed throughout the process.

As Tokarev would agree I'm sure, I would completely recommend Mr. Sokol for individuals looking for high quality smithing. He is a great person, and knowledgable and skilled gunsmith, and exceeded my expectations in bringing my project to life. Pictures below:

Inkwell 41
10-20-2021, 03:17 PM
Very nice.

Oldherkpilot
10-20-2021, 04:26 PM
I was already thinking, "beautiful," and then i saw the gold bead. Gorgeous is the word. Well done, sir.

MDFA
10-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Very Nice HP. Now you need some classy leather for it. I would suggest Milt Sparks.

Inkwell 41
10-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Very Nice HP. Now you need some classy leather for it. I would suggest Milt Sparks.

A Rosen ARG would be a good choice too.

vcdgrips
10-20-2021, 06:38 PM
Nature's Kydex-Kramer Horsehide for the win.

Totem Polar
10-20-2021, 07:06 PM
That is a very classy pistol build. Well done, all around. Lovely.

Chuck Whitlock
10-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Kramer or Privateer.

Soxfan9
10-20-2021, 07:36 PM
Outstanding! You made some great choices.

Bergeron
10-20-2021, 08:48 PM
Wow, that's nice.

JonInWA
10-21-2021, 06:52 AM
Magnificently done. I'd echo the suggestion for leather; both for its classic look to match the gun, and to avoid (or at least minimize/delay) marring the beautiful finish during drawing and holstering-Privateer would be my first choice, then likely Kramer these days. If you need something fast, Galco is quite decent.

Best, Jon

JRB
10-21-2021, 09:59 AM
In a perfect world, a proper gentleman could pick up a pistol like this in the 'gun department', then get over to the belt & holster department to get it fitted for a proper bespoke holster in a material of choice that matches a chosen belt.
After which you'd take the both of them to the men's clothing department, and have your Ted Baker suit fitted to accommodate said holster & gun.

Pure class, and every bit a 'gentleman's pistol' if there ever was one. Nicely done!!

Tokarev
10-23-2021, 06:30 PM
I'm pleased to see that Karl took care of you. I don't have much experience with other Hi-Power gunsmiths but I'd still say that Karl really takes a back seat to nobody.

fpnunes
10-24-2021, 12:04 PM

Milt Sparks Executive Companion + BHP = massive class and admiration by all. Great choice and a really comfortable setup.

fpnunes
10-24-2021, 12:05 PM
I'm pleased to see that Karl took care of you. I don't have much experience with other Hi-Power gunsmiths but I'd still say that Karl really takes a back seat to nobody.

I did a project with Karl a couple of years before he moved out of Mass. What a great guy to chat with and a fantastic gunsmith. I love seeing his work online and getting some exposure.

CWM11B
10-26-2021, 09:52 AM
Giving me a twitch here...Karl has had my Hi-Power since April...

Tokarev
10-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Giving me a twitch here...Karl has had my Hi-Power since April...Hopefully you're not too far down the list.

First gun took 6 or 8 months as I recall. Second was closer to a year.

The new SA35 has me pretty excited. One would be a nice Sokol base gun.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oldherkpilot
10-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Giving me a twitch here...Karl has had my Hi-Power since April...

I'm reminded of the catsup commercials of my youth. You know, "Anticipation is making me wait..."

Tensaw
10-27-2021, 07:35 AM
Does anyone make a competent (and thin) *leather* AIWB rig for the BHP? Bonus points if it uses the DCC clips. Seems like a horsehide AIWB with DCC clips would be the shizzle.

theJanitor
10-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Does anyone make a competent (and thin) *leather* AIWB rig for the BHP? Bonus points if it uses the DCC clips. Seems like a horsehide AIWB with DCC clips would be the shizzle.

My BHP fits snugly in both a JRC Watson Special, and a 5Shot SME (with DCC), both for a 5" 1911. PM me and I'll send you some pics

CWM11B
10-28-2021, 09:46 AM
I'm reminded of the catsup commercials of my youth. You know, "Anticipation is making me wait..."

No kidding...

Tokarev
10-28-2021, 12:13 PM
Does anyone make a competent (and thin) *leather* AIWB rig for the BHP? Bonus points if it uses the DCC clips. Seems like a horsehide AIWB with DCC clips would be the shizzle.Kramer #5‽

dcf1981
10-28-2021, 07:48 PM

5 Shot Leather can do the SME with the DCC Monoblock or he may be able to do the Sentinel for a Hi-Power?

Tokarev
05-28-2022, 09:45 AM
Ah yes, thanks for linking this in another thread. I had forgotten you'd posted pics.

I feel like replying here to bump Karl's work. Always worth being at the top of whichever page.