PDA

View Full Version : Light recoil in a small gun for small hands?

JCN
10-16-2021, 06:12 AM
Looking for general recommendations / advice for those who have taught very small stature women / children having small hands.

One of the women coming to a charity “intro to handguns” session I’m doing reminded me that she has tiny hands.

She’s petite and maybe 4’10”?

Initially I was thinking of 22LR and 9mm handguns… but now thinking maybe I should bring some 32ACP and 380?

I have a P938 with 22LR slide.
Also a Shadow 2 Kadet that I could put thin grips on but it might be too heavy for her.
Ruger LCR22 but she’d have to shoot SA since the DA would be too heavy.

P32, Glock 42, Kimber micro 380.

Or am I overthinking and should bring a Gen 5 Glock 19 with backstrap removed?

I’ll bring P365s and might bring compensated ones for softer shooting. But might be too loud.

Advice? Experiences?

peterb
10-16-2021, 07:02 AM
9mm in a small gun is probably a bit much for a small first-timer. But you never know — in one intro session we had a woman who thought the .22s were boring and preferred a 1911.

Running a revolver single-action is fine for a first time if they can safely manipulate the hammer.

Other smallish options if you can borrow from other folks..

Ruger Bearcat .22
Ruger SR22 .22
S&W M&P Compact .22

G42
S&W Shield EZ .380

If you’re shooting 9mm, lighter loads like the Syntech 150 are nice to have.

Plugs & muffs — less noise means less perceived recoil.

revchuck38
10-16-2021, 07:53 AM
Steel J frame with .38 Special wadcutters? That Taurus .380 revolver of yours?

Moylan
10-16-2021, 08:11 AM
SR 22 is the best answer I know of. Small and easy to shoot, and you can include as much or as little complexity in explaining its functionality to her as you like. That said, my 14 year old daughter was just shooting my Glock 44 without backstrap the other day and it worked fine for her. I don't know exactly how tall she is but I wouldn't say she's any much over 5 feet, if that. So I suspect the 19 would fit her hands OK.

In general, I think 22's are a good way to start. The report of the 9mm is oftentimes very off-putting. If you're having people shooting both centerfire and 22 on the line, if you can keep them separated, that helps, too. I second the plugs and muffs suggestion.

Of the guns you mentioned having on hand, my guess is the 938 with 22 slide might work great. The LCR22 is also a good option, and I don't think having her shoot single action is bad on the first outing. I've taught a lot of kids to shoot and I have never really found that the 22/45 goes amiss, even though it's big and heavy. (Mine's a 5 inch.) They can just lay it down on the table after every shot or two. No problem. My 10 year old son was just shooting this gun a few days ago, and doing fine. So I'm not sure your Shadow Kadet wouldn't work. My guess is that it's the best way to start, out of the guns you mentioned having on hand, and then let her pick out other things to try as she builds some confidence. She might love shooting a 9mm. Or not.

psalms144.1
10-16-2021, 08:34 AM
Absolutely stay with 22s to start. My new female shooter is very comfortable (now) with a G44, even though it's a bit big for her hands. If your shooter is absolutely tiny, a Ruger MkIV or Browning Buckmark (or something in that size) might be more "hand friendly"

PLEASE don't have her start with a micro-compact 9mm.

1Rangemaster
10-16-2021, 08:49 AM
I would keep it simple with the rimfires. And, double hearing protection-muffs and plugs-with eye protection. Load one round initially, and take it slow on a big target. A positive experience is what is sought.
Conceivably, the G42, and you might stretch it to a 19 if the enthusiasm is there. I often shoot one round (even.22) as a new shooter watches so they get the experience/know what to expect. Then they dry fire before one round.
I don’t think you ought to have many calibers-it may confuse the novice.
And good on you for helping!

OlongJohnson
10-16-2021, 09:32 AM
I have a P938 with 22LR slide.
Also a Shadow 2 Kadet that I could put thin grips on but it might be too heavy for her.
Ruger LCR22 but she’d have to shoot SA since the DA would be too heavy.

P32, Glock 42, Kimber micro 380.

Assuming these are all guns you have and you're not looking to use this as an excuse to buy any new ones.

I had a P938 SAS. Perhaps the most expensive gun I ever bought, as it got me interested in Sigs generally. The 938 itself went down the road, though, because it was too small for my hands. Every time I worked a presentation in dry fire, I noticed that my thumb knuckle was in line with the lower left corner of the slide, and I'd almost certainly bleed (and worse) in live fire. One of those things you can't spend quite enough time with it in the LGS to figure out before bringing it home. With a .22 LR slide on it, it might be perfect for your friend. The trigger was certainly decent.

I would say bring the LCR22 as another thing for her to experience if she wants to try it. Don't necessarily assume she won't be able to handle that DA, let her try it dry fire. Lots of women almost immediately prefer revolvers.

On the basis of my LCP, I'd expect the P32 to jump a little much even though it's only a .32.

If she wants to step it up to .380, the Kimber is probably an easier choice due to its SA trigger and similarity to the P938. Glock triggers can take some learning and that might be frustrating for her.

If you'd consider running out and buying something, a Buck Mark with the smaller "URX" grip frame (the frame is available in a couple non-URX variants, too) would be excellent. Under the rubber finger-groove URX grip is the same frame as this one:
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark/current/buck-mark-challenge-rosewood.html
IMO, if you don't have a Buck Mark or Ruger Mk# already, you should buy one of those for yourself. The URX grip is available as an accessory and will go right on it, making it fit a very wide range of hands and protecting the rosewood scales from getting dinged up when you carry it around in the woods as a snake/rabbit/squirrel/plinking (a.k.a. "Woodsman") gun. The "UFX" is the standard, original full-size grip frame, so don't get them confused.

I also have a Browning 1911-22, and its child-size frame somehow seems to magically fit my oversize hands just fine. It's a giggle with CCI SV ammo. Would be an awesome way to introduce children to shooting and the 1911 manual of arms if that's in your future. Get a version with aluminum frame and functional sights. In general, the models branded "Medallion" have alloy frames: https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22/current/1911-22-black-label-medallion-full-size.html

Guerrero
10-16-2021, 10:07 AM
I've been considering a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum loaded with .32 S&W Long for my daughter who has small hands.

alohadoug
10-16-2021, 11:05 AM
I've been considering a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum loaded with .32 S&W Long for my daughter who has small hands.

I've gone this route for myself. I've got hand issues (ligament damage). It works really well. Depending on how small her hands are, a Beretta model 81 in .32ACP with Lok grips might be another option.

littlejerry
10-16-2021, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't bother looking at any center-fire options for an intro to handguns class for petite shooters. The first goal is safety, the second goal is confidence building. Stick with 22LR from one of the common platforms. Bonus points for light triggers and easy to cock actions. My petite wife hates the classic Ruger autos because of the pinching required to load. She much prefers our Glock 44 and it's blocky and easy to overhand-grip slide

ETA: My wife is 5' 0" with shoes on and ~95 lbs. A 19 without backstrap is the limit of what she can handle and the trigger reach is really too far. On a G44 it's less of an issue. She can handle her G42 but loading it is challenging and it's definitely not a shoot all day kind of gun.

OlongJohnson
10-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Late-model Buck Marks have the "ears" at the back of the slide that makes them much easier to rack than the older ones with just the serrations.

sickeness
10-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Shield EZ in 380 is an absolute joy for most women or elderly to shoot and was pretty much made for this exact reason.
G42 in my experience has been very well liked by women shooters.

I would recommend against the .22LR because it doesn't provide the same feedback that you get with centerfire pistols and is not a good transition should they decide to move up to 9mm.

Totem Polar
10-16-2021, 12:37 PM
There was a brief period of time when, as a result of word of mouth circulating around me being the trustworthy socially liberal gun expert, I ended up with a number of women looking for help with their first defensive handguns. I am responsible for selling at least 4 G42s off of the range sessions where each individual got to try a few things from the then-extensive safe collection at chez Totem.

The G42 can be handled by damn near anyone with a good coaching session under their belts, and it can grow into a “expert’s” deep conceal rig. Aside from sourcing .380 ammo, it’s the easy button for this application. Doesn’t mean that other suggestions aren’t good, but that 42 is a winner, in my experience. The extra size that all the LCP and Kahr P380 guys bitch about is a colossal advantage for recoil-adverse/new shooters.

JMO.

Duelist
10-16-2021, 12:53 PM
Start with a .22. 938 w/the .22 kit, and G44, if she is interested in trying semiautos. LCR, some K22 variant, bearcat, Single Six, if it’s revolvers.

G42 is where the females in my life who have small hands have settled in the centerfire world.

Paul D
10-16-2021, 01:01 PM
I taught my kids how to shoot semi autos with a Glock 42. The handle was thin enough for them to grab it strong enough to hammer something. The recoil impulse was soft enough not to overwhelm them but strong enough to teach grip control. The slide manipulation was not too stiff for them to manipulate. The Glock trigger made it simpler to teach about trigger control. They were about 11-12 years old.

farscott
10-16-2021, 02:54 PM
I have small hands and short fingers, so I am sensitive to the issue. I also taught my daughter to shoot starting with rimfire pistols at age nine and working up to service pistols and revolvers. Her faves now are a Colt Detective Special and a Ruger LCP. What differs for me versus my daughter is that I have above-average hand strength. Manipulations that are easy for me were challenging for her when she was younger. The following are great pistols for people with small hands and short fingers.

1) 1911 in 9x19. Very light recoil combined with a short trigger reach. Cocking the hammer first will make slide manipulation easier for new shooters.

2) CZ 75 single-action. While the regular DA/SA reach is long, the SA-only version is great for small hands. With a Kadet II kit, no recoil. With standard velocity or subsonic ammo, little muzzle blast. Very easy to swap uppers and move from .22 LR to 9x19. No high velocity ammo for a new shooter

3) Ruger Standard/Mark I-IV. No recoil and easy to shoot for people with small hands. Cycling the bolt if the hammer is down is much more challenging than cycling the bolt with the hammer cocked. For that reason, suggest a Mark II or later due to the last round hold open feature. A new shooter is not going to be able to count shots, which makes it easy to drop the hammer on an empty chamber with a Standard or Mark I. A bolt racker or bolt with a pinball handle is a huge plus for a shooter with weaker strength.

4) S&W K-22 Masterpiece (M17). Great for teaching revolver basics but the DA trigger is a challenge for short fingers without good hand strength. My daughter struggled in DA with the 1948 K-22 she used. SA was much easier for her until she was older.

Best of luck with the class.

wmu12071
10-16-2021, 03:44 PM
I don't have a ton of experience with this stuff but the experience I do have has lead to bringing as large a variety as possible to these types of events and starting on full size 22s then slowly working up. You also never know what will work for a person. I have seen people that didn't mind recoil with small 9s but didn't have the hand strength to pull the trigger on a S&W 43c.

One thing I learned a long time ago is to one load one bullet in the mag for each caliber change. I have seen one too many semi educated person try to turn more then 90 degrees after the first shot on 9mm after an hour of shooting 22.

Bergeron
10-16-2021, 06:38 PM
Shield EZ in 380 is an absolute joy for most women or elderly to shoot and was pretty much made for this exact reason.

A close female friend has had a positive experience with a .380 EZ, even though it’s probably nothing easy for the small-statures person. I’m curious to see where a G42 fits in, as well as a .22 slide on a 938.

Hambo
10-17-2021, 07:21 AM

In my Single Seven, .32 S&W Long feels like .22. I'd consider an SP101.

JCN
10-17-2021, 09:41 AM
That Taurus .380 revolver of yours?

So I suspect the 19 would fit her hands OK.
The report of the 9mm is oftentimes very off-putting.

the 938 with 22 slide might work great.
The LCR22 is also a good option

G42
S&W Shield EZ .380
If you’re shooting 9mm, lighter loads like the Syntech 150 are nice to have.
Plugs & muffs — less noise means less perceived recoil.

Absolutely stay with 22s to start.

I would keep it simple with the rimfires.
Conceivably, the G42, and you might stretch it to a 19 if the enthusiasm is there.

With a .22 LR slide on it, it might be perfect for your friend. The trigger was certainly decent.
I would say bring the LCR22 as another thing for her to experience if she wants to try it. Don't necessarily assume she won't be able to handle that DA

If she wants to step it up to .380, the Kimber is probably an easier choice due to its SA trigger and similarity to the P938. Glock triggers can take some learning and that might be frustrating for her.

She can handle her G42 but loading it is challenging and it's definitely not a shoot all day kind of gun.

The G42 can be handled by damn near anyone.

Start with a .22. 938 w/the .22 kit.

I taught my kids how to shoot semi autos with a Glock 42.

CZ 75 single-action. While the regular DA/SA reach is long, the SA-only version is great for small hands. With a Kadet II kit, no recoil. With standard velocity or subsonic ammo, little muzzle blast. Very easy to swap uppers and move from .22 LR to 9x19. No high velocity ammo for a new shooter.

One thing I learned a long time ago is to one load one bullet in the mag for each caliber change. I have seen one too many semi educated person try to turn more then 90 degrees after the first shot on 9mm after an hour of shooting 22.

A close female friend has had a positive experience with a .380 EZ, even though it’s probably nothing easy for the small-statures person. I’m curious to see where a G42 fits in, as well as a .22 slide on a 938.

Thanks for all the input. I listened and will change my plan to use 380s. Great to know about the G42. I even have an Airsoft G42…

Here’s what I think I’ll use incorporating the advice I got here.

Taurus 380 DA revolver. I have it modified to an 8 pound trigger and the recoil is pretty mild. It’s a gun someone would consider as an alternative to a J frame.

Maxim 9 suppressed 9mm with co-witnessed irons and dot. Striker fired. Quiet and fixed barrel with muzzle weight, very mild. I figured that might be the full size striker gun that we shoot.

P365XL with a red dot. Will use Syntech 150 for mildness. In case they want a real carry 9mm striker perspective.

Kimber Micro 380 and G42 as two small 380 choices. My wife liked the M380 better than the G42 with regard to recoil, they are both excellent choices I think.

LCR22 in case someone wants a 22 revolver. Super mild but dang that DA trigger is heavy.

938 with 22 slide. Fixed barrel, mild recoil. Real night sights. Could conceivably be a carry option for someone.

CZ75B in 9mm with red dot. I put the thin grips on for smaller hands. They’d probably shoot SA after charging anyway. Not that I expect it, but I have 357Sig and 40SW barrels for it in case anyone wants spicier.

1Rangemaster
10-17-2021, 10:18 AM
All neat, but I would respectfully still suggest starting with .22 rimfire, particularly with someone brand new. Those of us who are “into guns” may overlook that folks might get overwhelmed with choices-.22, .380, 9x19, etc.
Best of luck with your session!

Edit to add: the converted 938 probably to start, then the .22 revolver so a née person will see different types.

Doc_Glock
10-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Stick with a rimfire.

G44 is the pistol that is a gateway drug to shooting in my experience.

True story: my fiancée went shooting with me once 26 years ago at a friends farm. She tore it up with various rim fires. So we thought to give her a chance as a 9mm pistol. She took one shot. Put it down and hasn’t touched a gun since.

I really regret advancing her too quickly. But I am super happy with the marriage that followed.

JCN
10-17-2021, 01:41 PM
All neat, but I would respectfully still suggest starting with .22 rimfire, particularly with someone brand new. Those of us who are “into guns” may overlook that folks might get overwhelmed with choices-.22, .380, 9x19, etc.
Best of luck with your session!

Edit to add: the converted 938 probably to start, then the .22 revolver so a née person will see different types.

Stick with a rimfire.

G44 is the pistol that is a gateway drug to shooting in my experience.

True story: my fiancée went shooting with me once 26 years ago at a friends farm. She tore it up with various rim fires. So we thought to give her a chance as a 9mm pistol. She took one shot. Put it down and hasn’t touched a gun since.

I really regret advancing her too quickly. But I am super happy with the marriage that followed.

Sorry, the context I didn’t give is that only that one shooter is new and I am bringing guns for the others as well.

Two of the women I have taught before and they moved on from rimfire pretty quickly.

I figure I will do the 938-22 and LCR22 for the new shooter and let her pick what else if anything she would like.

I’ll try and play it by ear depending on her reaction when others are shooting. It’s at least outdoors.

JCN
10-23-2021, 04:09 PM
Did it today. The women moved on from the 22LR pretty quickly.

The 380 pistols were a hit.

I also did a 20% gel block demonstration with 22LR, ball and JHP 380 vs. ball and JHP 9mm.

I like 20% gel because you can shot the comparative information in one block.

TheNewbie
11-02-2021, 03:36 PM
Even though I’m revolver searching for my wife, she did well with the EZ Shield.380, and it’s the gun she started with. She shoots it well and the recoil is minimal. Plus it has a grip safety, so thumbing the back of the slide gets her hand off the safety and acts like a “gadget”.

S&W really did a great job with the EZ Shield.

The only reason we are revolver shopping is because she’s more comfortable with the simplicity of revolver handling.

JCN
11-02-2021, 07:42 PM
Even though I’m revolver searching for my wife, she did well with the EZ Shield.380, and it’s the gun she started with. She shoots it well and the recoil is minimal. Plus it has a grip safety, so thumbing the back of the slide gets her hand off the safety and acts like a “gadget”.

S&W really did a great job with the EZ Shield.

The only reason we are revolver shopping is because she’s more comfortable with the simplicity of revolver handling.

I think it’s a great gun. I own one but my wife didn’t like the grip safety go figure. So it’s on permanent loan to my best friend’s wife.