PDA

View Full Version : F****** revolvers, how do they work?

jetfire
08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
A billion awesome points to anyone who gets the title reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt12xx8OpJk

Shot a little club level IDPA last night. I was really happy with the trigger pulling/sight reading and reloading, not so happy with the movement or the planning. I got a little derpy in the 2nd position on this stage, and on a later unfilmed stage just went full retard.

Byron
08-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Magnets!

Where can I cash in my points?????

Edited to add this idiot:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/046/123/magnets.jpg?1270937748

JRL
08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Now I want a revolver :(

I hear revolvers are slightly more complex than magnets

Byron
08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
We'll never know because scientists just make up lies!!

Further explanation for anyone wondering: Magnets, How Do They Work? (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magnets-how-do-they-work) NSFW language
Also NSFAWAB (Not Safe For Anyone With A Brain)

(Sorry, I don't have anything material to comment on the original video. It's impressive to me though!)

jetfire
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Honestly, I really wanted to make an ICP joke, so it's all good.

The video was really helpful for me, but I also recognize that revolver shooting is sort of an arcane art, because there's maybe 10, 20 max dudes in the world that shoot revo at a really competitive level.

TCinVA
08-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I actually really like shooting revolvers.

...just too darn bad a pelican ate mine.

Al T.
08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I actually really like shooting revolvers.

Completely and utterly off topic.

Guys brings a Davis .380 out to the range with us. Asks me if I want to shoot it. Sure!

Hang it on the 25 yard line, I'll wack it with my Glock.... :cool:

jstyer
08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Water! Fire! Air! And dirt!

_JD_
08-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Completely and utterly off topic.

Guys brings a Davis .380 out to the range with us. Asks me if I want to shoot it. Sure!

Hang it on the 25 yard line, I'll wack it with my Glock.... :cool:

Yeah, I'm going to steal that line.

JonInWA
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Caleb, last month, both for he heck of it/as a practice/as a drill/to formally get the IDPA classification, I classified with my GP100-no land-speed records were set, but I had a blast, and easily classified. It also was a help in my preparation for our at that point upcomoing State IDPA match, which I shot with my DAO Beretta 92D.

With the recent thread on the site here on achieving a revolver-like rolling triggerpull on a Glock (and even more similarly on a Glock with a NY1 spring), I find that my revolver shooting is not only satisfying, but rewarding regarding my more primary gun's shooting skill-set.

Best, Jon

gtmtnbiker98
08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Honestly, I really wanted to make an ICP joke, so it's all good.

The video was really helpful for me, but I also recognize that revolver shooting is sort of an arcane art, because there's maybe 10, 20 max dudes in the world that shoot revo at a really competitive level.
I am pretty good friends with a 'high-level' revolver shooter and he has all of my respect. I know I can't shoot them worth a $hit.

Al T.
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm giving serious consideration to going to Ayoob's MAG40 with a 3 inch RB M65, for at least one day.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Arcane Art..........damn kids;). Wayne Dobbs and I took a long road trip yesterday. We need to bring you along. We shared a lot of stories from our pasts about gunfights involving shooting bad guys at a very competitive level with "arcane guns".

I won a lot of trophy's back in the day with various wheel guns. They used to have to clear the range when I shot plate matches in full duty gear with my 5" .45 Colt revolver. Using duty ammo (that we never had anything but a one shot drop on the street), my rounds would not only hit the plates, but reset them as well :cool:. That was unheard of in a day when most revolver shooters were using .38 loads that were so light I wondered how they made it to the targets. Reload speed and limited ammunition on board make the revolver hard to run against an auto in a competitive environment not geared towards them. We have also found that it is more efficient to run autos under stress on the street. With that said, I am a huge fan of watching World Fast Draw..........those revolvers work by F*#*$&#cking Magic.

jetfire
08-10-2012, 06:21 PM
While not really interested in another revolvers vs. autos discussion, as someone who shoots revolvers quite a bit, I'll be the first to admit that they're completely obsolete in the modern world.

But since I like them more than autos, I'm more likely to actually practice with them, so I still carry one. Which I'm pretty sure makes me the only person under 50 who carries a full size revolver as a primary.

rsa-otc
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Damm. Caleb way to make me feel old!

ford.304
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Not the only one.

Possibly the only one who theoretically knows what he's doing ;-) But I'm still working on convincing my wife as to why I need *two* handguns, rather than another couple cases of 38 special.

CCT125US
08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Not the only one.

Possibly the only one who theoretically knows what he's doing ;-) But I'm still working on convincing my wife as to why I need *two* handguns, rather than another couple cases of 38 special.

Simply point out that she has more than one purse and multiple pair of shoes. If she doesn't , buy her a purse, but not an expensive one. You need to buy that second gun after all.

rsa-otc
08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
" not so happy with the movement or the planning. I got a little derpy in the 2nd position on this stage, and on a later unfilmed stage just went full retard."

OH how well I can relate. Shot a local club IDPA match this weekend trying to get ready for my next sanctioned match in October. First miscue – Stage started with shooter sitting in a chair with the revolver empty in an IDPA box with all ammo used on the stage on the table in front of you. Since I have been practicing reloading with the gun remaining in my dominate hand as of late, in my brilliance I thought it would be smoother to open the box with my support hand pick up the revolver with my dominate hand & use my support hand to handle my speed loader. In theory less motion equals less time. WRONG it went all FUBAR. Had not built up enough reps doing the new reload to do it smoothly. Should have stayed with my well practiced FBI style loading (handling the gun with the support hand while using the dominate hand to handle the speedloader).

Miscue part two- So the match is rolling along and I’m feeling pretty good at this point and we come to stage 4. It was set up like you were at the back of a trailer. Start hands on the corner of the trailer and around the front are two targets that you are to engage on the right side from the rear of the trailer and 1 on the left. Then advance down the side of the trailer to where you can engage 2 targets located behind a non threat, mostly your choices on these last two threat targets were head shots or the down 3 zone. All threat targets get 3 rounds each, shooters choice which side to start on. The two targets around the front seemed to be easier to engage from the right side but only mildly so. All the auto shooters started on the left side of the trailer. So I decide to start on the right so that after engaging the first two targets I can reload while moving to the left side of the trailer engaging the third target. Then I move down the left side of the trailer to the front of the truck to engage target 4, everything is going OK and then I reload and while reloading get my feet all tangled up. It is a wonder that one I didn’t fall on my face, two break cover and was able to re-engage target 5 and be down zero on the stage with no hits on non-threat. Must have looked like a bunch of monkeys trying to bounce a deflated basket ball.

Revolvers are fun and frustrating all at the same time. I have to keep reminding myself that to beat the auto shooters at even the club level everything has to go your way. Most cases you can add an additional reload to each stage, and unless it is a case of where you can load while moving behind cover it adds time built in to the stage design. Reloads are going to be a tad longer. In most cases a good revolver shooter can reload in the same time an average auto shooter can. After that you’re losing ground. You have to count your shots. When I shoot SSP, ESP or CDP I know by feel that the side locked back and I need to reload. There is no such indication with a revolver. Fail to count and you are landing on an empty chamber or worse yet you get a procedural for leaving cover with an empty gun.

Even given all that, I love my revolver and continue to shoot it in competition. I have complete faith in my revolver and usually place in the top third overall of any match I’m in & compete for most accurate. I’ve even taken a few stage wins.

WHEEL GUNS ARE REAL GUNS. :cool: