PDA

View Full Version : F*** Covid

Jared
10-11-2021, 08:22 PM
Got word today that my shooting buddy, and one of the best friends I’d had in the last 20 years was found at home yesterday. He had passed away. I’d texted him Saturday evening and he’d said he had pneumonia. He was waiting on the results of his Covid test. I’m about 90% sure he had it and passed away within 12 hours of me texting him. I’m sad he’s gone. At the same time, I’m pissed at myself for not going shooting with him this summer. We always went about 6-7 times a year together in addition to the times we went on our own.

I hadn’t said anything to him about going because the last time we went he was pretty low on ammo and lord knows we always burned a bunch of it. I was hoping to take a week off in the near future and hoping we could go hit the range. Now I ain’t gonna get the chance.

Most of all, I feel awful for his two young grandkids, who loved their pawpaw. The oldest one went with us one day and he was an impressive young man.

Mr T, as I always liked to call him, was the only person I knew around here that liked to shoot drills and run a timer and stuff like that. Every time we went we had a good time, whether we shot well or like total dog shit. But more than the shooting I’m gonna miss hearing about them two grandsons and telling him about my own family. He always told me not to blink, they grow up that fast.

Lex Luthier
10-11-2021, 08:26 PM
Arrgh. My condolences.

Suvorov
10-11-2021, 08:31 PM
Sorry man. I lost a childhood friend in the opening wave of COVID and know many more who have fallen. The seeming randomness of who it takes is what is the most scary/frustrating. Add to that the political crap that goes with it and it’s just too frustrating at times.

Again, sorry and unlike Clinton (who didn’t mean it) - I feel your pain.

Totem Polar
10-11-2021, 08:50 PM
That is terrible. My condolences.

Cory
10-11-2021, 08:56 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry.

Perhaps someone from PF can meet up with you, and run a bill drill with you for Mr. T.

GJM
10-11-2021, 09:17 PM
Sorry for your loss.

For some time, I have thought historians will come to call Covid the most significant crisis in the world since WWII. It is possible that it may even surpass WWII in its impact.

Clusterfrack
10-11-2021, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Jered. That's awful.

Paul D
10-11-2021, 09:27 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and his family. I see everyday how indiscriminate and soul crushing this disease can be.

blues
10-11-2021, 10:05 PM
Very sorry for the loss of your friend. Condolences.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-11-2021, 10:16 PM
My condolences to all, also.

Jared
10-12-2021, 04:44 AM
Sorry man. I lost a childhood friend in the opening wave of COVID and know many more who have fallen. The seeming randomness of who it takes is what is the most scary/frustrating. Add to that the political crap that goes with it and it’s just too frustrating at times.

Again, sorry and unlike Clinton (who didn’t mean it) - I feel your pain.

Yes, the randomness is truly something. It nearly took another friend of mine recently as well. He survived after quite a bit of time in a coma. He has a long long road of therapy ahead of him.

Jared
10-12-2021, 04:45 AM
And thanks to everyone for their well wishes. It does mean a lot.

Hambo
10-12-2021, 04:55 AM
Sorry about your shooting buddy. Thanks for posting it, because you reminded me that I need to call my dad.

SD
10-12-2021, 06:51 AM
Sorry for your loss.

DC_P
10-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend.

It is possible that it may even surpass WWII in its impact.

I never thought there would be something that impacted my life and career as much as 09/11. I was wrong.

revchuck38
10-12-2021, 08:42 AM
Really sorry for your loss.

Robert Mitchum
10-13-2021, 04:10 AM
sorry for your loss.

fly out
10-13-2021, 10:57 AM
If the logistics worked out, maybe see about taking his grandson shooting one more time?

If the logistics worked out, I'd buy you a beer...

(from Wisconsin's Ale Asylum brewery)

Cookie Monster
10-13-2021, 11:27 AM
Seems like you got some boys to take shooting and tell them how great their PawPaw was.

Take care of yourself through the grief.

Jared
10-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Sorry about your shooting buddy. Thanks for posting it, because you reminded me that I need to call my dad.

I’ve called mine twice myself.

Jared
10-13-2021, 12:11 PM
Seems like you got some boys to take shooting and tell them how great their PawPaw was.

Take care of yourself through the grief.

Yes, it appears that I do.

I got some good news today, that I’m not going to post publicly, that helps with the sting a bit.

Chuck Whitlock
10-13-2021, 01:35 PM
Sorry for your loss.

4given
10-13-2021, 01:52 PM
My condolences. I know how you feel, I have lost friends as well.

Rex G
10-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Sorry for your loss/

Borderland
10-13-2021, 03:22 PM
Sorry for your loss.

For some time, I have thought historians will come to call Covid the most significant crisis in the world since WWII. It is possible that it may even surpass WWII in its impact.

Yeah, the numbers of Americans who have died from covid will surpass the casualties of WW2 if it hasn't already. It's that bad.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jared.

Tex41mag
10-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, I lost my younger brother in late 2020 to Fungal Pneumonia caused by COVID in just 5 days.

Jared
10-13-2021, 08:28 PM
I’ll share a bit of a story on him, because it’s humorous and kinda speaks to the friendship we had…..

We were out shooting together one day like we did. He always had me pick the drills and he just rolled with whatever I set up. I was in need of a fundamentals tune up on this particular day, so I set up Dot Torture. Having never shot it before, he was intrigued. Things were going well until Dot 5 when he missed 3 or 4 of the SHO shots. Oh boy, Mr T MAD.

Then I think he missed every single shot on Dot 8. He wasn’t too thrilled with that either.

A couple days later at work we were talking about our shooting trip. I was teasing him a bit about DT (I’d blown the very last shot on my run, spoiling what would have been a 50 because I relaxed after Dot 8 and looked over my sights on the final shot instead of at them). He swore to be damned that next time I got that target out he was gonna use his SuperX 2 on “them damn dots!”

“Sounds like a plan” I said, “If you can keep every pellet in the dot for 50 shots in a row, that’d be awesome shooting. Just don’t know how you’re gonna do the SHO and WHO parts.”

The look he gave me after that was priceless.

Next time we went shooting, I got there first and had a pair of DT targets hung up when he got there. It looks could kill, I wouldn’t have survived, but he actually did shoot the thing and scored a lot better. So I asked him how he liked the drill now. “I still hate them damn dots brother.” was all he said.