PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Recommendations for Rem 700

Shotgun
10-10-2021, 07:54 PM
30plus year old Rem Mountain Rifle and need to replace trigger. On hunting rifle I like a 3.5 to 4 lb pull. Any recommendations for after market triggers? I have had Rifle Basix but am not overly fond of those.

1911Nut
10-10-2021, 08:18 PM
30plus year old Rem Mountain Rifle and need to replace trigger. On hunting rifle I like a 3.5 to 4 lb pull. Any recommendations for after market triggers? I have had Rifle Basix but am not overly fond of those.

The Timney Elite Hunter Remington 700 is very nice.

pyrotechnic
10-11-2021, 07:40 AM
I have had good luck with Trigger Tech triggers.

MistWolf
10-11-2021, 04:14 PM
Is there something wrong with the factory trigger?

Duelist
10-11-2021, 04:22 PM

Besides that it’s a Remington 700 trigger?

MistWolf
10-11-2021, 06:40 PM
Besides that it’s a Remington 700 trigger?

Yes, besides that. We've had a lot of factory Remington triggers in our family since the sixties and as long as they were adjusted correctly and kept clean & lubed, never had a problem with any of them.

MistWolf
10-11-2021, 06:43 PM
...and the Remington triggers when adjusted correctly, give a real clean break.

Paul D
10-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Yes, besides that. We've had a lot of factory Remington triggers in our family since the sixties and as long as they were adjusted correctly and kept clean & lubed, never had a problem with any of them.

There was that big class action lawsuit that allege that the 700 trigger design was known to be faulty and allowed for firing even while on safe. They came out with that new sucky factory trigger after that.

Duke
10-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Triggertech diamond

TWR
10-11-2021, 07:34 PM
My dad shot his truck with one of those old triggers. It wasn’t the designs fault, rather 30 years of gunk built up in it.

The problem was you had to take the safety off to open the bolt. I cleaned the gunk out of his, cut the part of the safety that blocked the bolt and it’ll rival any aftermarket trigger I ever tried. Though I haven’t even looked at a 700 replacement trigger in several years.

Shotgun
10-11-2021, 08:03 PM

Hell yes. I had one that could have been part of the lawsuit. I replaced that with a Rifle Basix, but I have not been happy with the replacement. Too light on pull weight.

Duelist
10-11-2021, 09:00 PM
Triggertech diamond

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?50108-Triggertech-diamond-Rem-700-trigger-2-stage

There’s one for sale, oddly enough. ;)

Duke
10-11-2021, 09:07 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?50108-Triggertech-diamond-Rem-700-trigger-2-stage

There’s one for sale, oddly enough. ;)

It is. That guy bought both the straight and curved trigger versions

Just happened to have tried the flat one first and printed a tiny group with it - decided to not even try the curved.

MistWolf
10-12-2021, 12:30 AM
There was that big class action lawsuit that allege that the 700 trigger design was known to be faulty and allowed for firing even while on safe. They came out with that new sucky factory trigger after that.

I’ve been aware of the claims against Remington triggers since the seventies.

Hell yes. I had one that could have been part of the lawsuit. I replaced that with a Rifle Basix, but I have not been happy with the replacement. Too light on pull weight.

Did you ever clean it real good then lube and adjust it? We had the same trigger in several Remington 700s, 600s, 660s and Mohawks. I don’t recall if the 788s had the same trigger or not. I learned in my teens how to clean and adjust the triggers and no one in the family ever had trouble with one afterward. I did replace one Remington trigger with a Timney. It’s a good trigger, but didn’t get me anything the Remington trigger didn’t already have. When all is said and done, I’m convinced the suit against Remington was a hatchet job.

If I were to replace a Remington trigger, I’d look at the Geissele two stage for the 700. I haven’t shot it, but did get a chance to dry fire it at their booth and liked how it felt. Crisp break with almost zero creep and overtravel. I don’t remember if it’s adjustable.

Shotgun
10-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Did you ever clean it real good then lube and adjust it?

Not me, but gunsmiths on two separate occasions worked on that trigger. The end result was replacement. Thank you for the recommendation on a new trigger.