PDA

View Full Version : armed robbers vs little old lady

Tom Givens
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is a news story about 5 or 6 armed robbers, with guns, routed by one determined little old lady with a pistol. The last thing thugs expect is a violent counter-attack. When they experience one, it usually sets them back on their heels. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8758619&pid=null ;)

NETim
08-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Armed robbery really needs to become a hazardous profession.

BaiHu
08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Great story with one glitch for me and perhaps it's just b/c Nightengale had to say it for 'public safety' reasons. However, I hate it that even when things go right, the first reaction is, "we don't recommend owners taking matters into their own hands, but..." But what? But most of the time when people protect themselves and their property.....what? Go ahead tell me what's wrong with that :mad:

DaZe831
08-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Yes! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCinVA
08-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Great story with one glitch for me and perhaps it's just b/c Nightengale had to say it for 'public safety' reasons. However, I hate it that even when things go right, the first reaction is, "we don't recommend owners taking matters into their own hands"

I keep waiting for at least one reporter on this planet to ask one of those public statement dudes from the department exactly what they train police officers to do when someone points a gun at them. I want to see the sparks fly out of their head.

Interesting aspects of the video, at least to me:

1. The bad guys had trouble getting in the door. Tom has spoken about the bad guy's adrenaline levels when perpetrating an attack before, noting that often the criminal aggressor is in the full throes of the adrenaline effect and how the good guy can use that to his/her advantage. The trouble with the door seems to indicate that some of this was going on in the bad guys.

2. Note how quickly a coordinated effort turns into every man for himself when bullets start coming the other way. Reacting to sudden life-threatening peril as a group in a coordinated effort does not happen absent significant training to that effect. This is why we spend so much time and money training military forces, so that they do respond to sudden life-threatening peril in a coordinated effort. Five to one is pretty steep odds if the Five are from, say, Damn Neck. On the street you might be able to turn five to one into five dudes climbing over each other's corpses to get away from a sudden spike of violence they didn't really have the mindset for. As has been said here many times, stuff changes when you pull a gun.

3. For the customer there was no chance at de-escalation or for running away. He had two useful options when he looked up from his phone: Shoot, or cower and hope he doesn't get hurt. Since he didn't have a gun he was really left with one option. Having options other than relying on the moral recognizance of someone who is pointing a gun at you is nice.

Overall, a pretty good performance by the senior citizen. Could use more dead bad guy for my taste, but all in all I'd click the like button on it.

Al T.
08-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Could use more dead bad guy for my taste

Yup. :D

NETim
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I keep waiting for at least one reporter on this planet to ask one of those public statement dudes from the department exactly what they train police officers to do when someone points a gun at them. I want to see the sparks fly out of their head.

Interesting aspects of the video, at least to me:

1. The bad guys had trouble getting in the door. Tom has spoken about the bad guy's adrenaline levels when perpetrating an attack before, noting that often the criminal aggressor is in the full throes of the adrenaline effect and how the good guy can use that to his/her advantage. The trouble with the door seems to indicate that some of this was going on in the bad guys.

2. Note how quickly a coordinated effort turns into every man for himself when bullets start coming the other way. Reacting to sudden life-threatening peril as a group in a coordinated effort does not happen absent significant training to that effect. This is why we spend so much time and money training military forces, so that they do respond to sudden life-threatening peril in a coordinated effort. Five to one is pretty steep odds if the Five are from, say, Damn Neck. On the street you might be able to turn five to one into five dudes climbing over each other's corpses to get away from a sudden spike of violence they didn't really have the mindset for. As has been said here many times, stuff changes when you pull a gun.

3. For the customer there was no chance at de-escalation or for running away. He had two useful options when he looked up from his phone: Shoot, or cower and hope he doesn't get hurt. Since he didn't have a gun he was really left with one option. Having options other than relying on the moral recognizance of someone who is pointing a gun at you is nice.

Overall, a pretty good performance by the senior citizen. Could use more dead bad guy for my taste, but all in all I'd click the like button on it.

Despite the obvious panic and adrenaline dump, the bad guys did stop and take the time to stack up before exiting. Very tactical. :D

RoyGBiv
08-08-2012, 08:24 AM
the bad guys did stop and take the time to stack up before exiting. Very tactical. :D
Then the first guy tried to open the door with his face, but he was pushing on the pull side... :D

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1875/closeddoorxface.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9617/sobgs.jpg

NickA
08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
As the saying goes, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. " Per Tom and TC's comments it's good to remember that it applies to both sides.
And I absolutely love it when older folks go Terminator on some fools, it just gives me a big smile.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Chuck Haggard
08-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Story could have used more Lance Thomas IMHO, but always nice when the good guys come out on top.

Joe Mamma
08-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Great video. Thanks for posting it Tom.

RoyGBiv, I noticed on the way into the store, they also tried to open the door the wrong way. I didn't think it was that bad until I saw the "PUSH" sign on it from a different angle!

Joe Mamma