PDA

View Full Version : Shield Arms SA15 mags, have they been reliable for you?

DamnYankee
10-03-2021, 05:18 PM
For those using the S15 mags, how have they performed for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggy
10-03-2021, 05:35 PM
From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are *not quite* as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM magazine. Besides that, the main reason I do not use them anymore, is because at least in *my* G43X using the Shield Arms steel mag release, it takes very little mag release travel and pressure to release the mags, and I have had two accidental mag releases with them while carrying the pistol holstered. So for ** me** the SA15 mags were close but no cigar. As always YMMV. I have since dumped the the SA15 mags and the G43X and now carry a S&W Shield Plus that I am completely satisfied with.

RJ
10-03-2021, 06:04 PM
I briefly ran a Shield mag release and two Shield S15 mags in my Glock 48. Zero issues or problems due to the magazines.

These are my notes from first session of 107 rounds on 6/13/21:

Indoor range session to put the two S15 magazines and steel catch through their paces. Ammo was American Eagle 124 FMJ and HST 147 JHP.

tl;dr: Mags are good to go.

Shot a series of drills and tests with different load outs. Started by barney magging 15+1 and inserting the mags as left loaded last night. Shot two mags worth.

Moved on to the HST. I shot 10 rounds, loaded 3, 3, 2, and 2, to try and precipitate a fail to feed malfunction near the end of the mag. No issues. I then shot "The Test" using the HST for a 95-1X.

Then back to the AE for drills to exercise the mags. These include: Consistency Drill at 5 yards for 5/10. FYL for 8/10; and another TT for a 93-1X. Throughout this, I had zero stoppages, no fails to feed or other malfunctions. At least three of these were shot 15+1.

Total 20 rounds of HST and 87 of AE. 107 for the day.

I shot one more session of 50 rounds, several times loaded 15+1, and had no issues then either. I later sold the G48, and thus sold the SA mag catch and both mags, but I found them satisfactory in my brief experience.

octagon
10-03-2021, 09:00 PM
I have 9 S15 mags and use them in a 43X and 48. None have had any issues. These have been used for around 1500 rounds and all with the stock OEM Glock mag button. I have a Shield arms metal mag button but since the guns are not my primary CC gun I haven't switched it out yet.

Navin Johnson
10-03-2021, 11:01 PM
If one "needs" 15 rounds then carry a gun designed for 15 rounds.....just a thought.....

DamnYankee
10-04-2021, 05:16 AM
If one "needs" 15 rounds then carry a gun designed for 15 rounds.....just a thought.....

Can’t really argue with that.

TOTS
10-04-2021, 10:12 PM

You never need that 11th round…until you do.

medmo
10-04-2021, 10:41 PM
From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are *not quite* as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM magazine.

I’m kind of amazed hearing this so please specify and expand. Multiple mags, ammo types, round counts through 3 different 43xs without a failure with my experience. What problems have you had?

Olim9
10-04-2021, 10:54 PM
I've had good luck with two of mags when Shield Arms was releasing them early 2020. I forgot the approximate round count but inbetween those two mags well over 7,000 through it, they worked well in my silver G48. There was this one issue with one of my mags for about 100rds where I had about 4 nosedives but it went away and I haven't experienced any problems since then. This was well beyond the 2,000rd mark and despite that, I fully trust these mags for carry in that specific 48 I have.

I'll probably grab some more of them later on but for now I just use my OEM mags for practice so I don't put any more wear on the springs. On my two 48s I own, they don't lock back but I've tried it on other people's guns and they did. Doesn't bother me though.

BigT
10-05-2021, 08:29 AM
I've not had any feeding issues. I have had all three crack .

the worst on is definitely under 2k rounds and almost definitely under 1k

The other is under 500

And the third has fired exactly 150 and cracked.

All three have cracked at the base of the U at the back and the worst one has also cracked on one of the lips. Still works but nothing I trust for carry.

They have promised to replace them under warranty so i await the next shipment here with my replacement parts.

DamnYankee
10-05-2021, 04:56 PM

The other is under 500

All three have cracked at the base of the U at the back and the worst one has also cracked on one of the lips. Still works but nothing I trust for carry.

They have promised to replace them under warranty so i await the next shipment here with my replacement parts.

I have never heard of this issue. Wow! Gen1 or gen2 mags?

BigT
10-06-2021, 02:54 AM
I have never heard of this issue. Wow! Gen1 or gen2 mags?

Gen1 mags

I've seen it on a few others already. And a lot of clever industry people when I mentioned it said "oh yeah gen1 mags, that happens"

medmo
10-10-2021, 11:45 PM

Apparently it was. Just not by Glock. 😁

medmo
10-10-2021, 11:49 PM

The other is under 500

Please post a pic of the cracks? I’ve inspected my four mags and not seeing anything but it would be helpful to see what I’m looking for. Thanks

BigT
10-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Please post a pic of the cracks? I’ve inspected my four mags and not seeing anything but it would be helpful to see what I’m looking for. Thanks

You overestimate my skills at technology

LittleLebowski
10-13-2021, 08:18 AM
You overestimate my skills at technology

Send me them on FB.

BN
10-13-2021, 07:27 PM
I was just shooting this evening with a guy who has a 43X I think with the steel mag button. He kept ejecting the mag by accident.

BigT
10-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Send me them on FB.

Shall do

CZ Man
10-14-2021, 11:45 AM
I picked up a couple of Gen 2 mags to try out a few months ago. Neither of them would lock into place when I attempted to seat the magazine. I have an OEM mag release. A buddy of mine has the Shield Arms release, and has Gen 1 mags. My mags wouldn't lock into his gun either. Shield Arms sent me replacements saying mine were from a 'bad batch'. The replacements wouldn't seat either. I took them back to my local gun store and exchanged them for more OEM mags. I'm just going to stick with OEM mags from here on out.

O4L
10-14-2021, 03:21 PM
I have six of the gen1 magazines. They all work just fine in both of my G48s with the Shield steel mag catch.

Shawn Dodson
10-14-2021, 06:36 PM

I have a G19 and a G43. I shoot both well but I'm amazed at how well I shoot the G43. I got a G48 because I had a hunch that I shoot a slim line Glock better than a standard Glock. Upon shooting the G48 my hunch was confirmed - I shoot bullet after bullet into a single hole. I shoot it markedly better than the G19, so... why not upgrade it with an aftermarket 15 round magazine (with steel mag catch) to achieve the same capacity as my G19?

Kanye Wyoming
10-14-2021, 07:49 PM
I have six of the gen1 magazines. They all work just fine in both of my G48s with the Shield steel mag catch.

Ditto except G43X.

HCM
10-14-2021, 07:59 PM
I have a G19 and a G43. I shoot both well but I'm amazed at how well I shoot the G43. I got a G48 because I had a hunch that I shoot a slim line Glock better than a standard Glock. Upon shooting the G48 my hunch was confirmed - I shoot bullet after bullet into a single hole. I shoot it markedly better than the G19, so... why not upgrade it with an aftermarket 15 round magazine (with steel mag catch) to achieve the same capacity as my G19?

Why not upgrade it - * if the 15 round mags work.

CanineCombatives
10-15-2021, 03:29 PM
I'm up to 4 now, 2 first gen 2 new ones, none have ever given me a problem, I consider them a must have.

Shawn Dodson
10-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Why not upgrade it - * if the 15 round mags work.

I bought three Shield 15 rd magazines and the steel mag catch.

I halted function testing after experiencing a failure to feed involving two of the magazines, with Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ. My function test involves loading the magazine to capacity with one in the chamber, repeated three consecutive times with zero stoppages. Magazine #2 failed during the first repetition, magazine #1 failed during the second rep. Had initial function testing been successful I would have repeated it with my carry ammo, Federal 147gr HST. Instead, I removed the steel mag catch and function tested two Glock 10 rd mags with 147gr HST and called it good. The Glock 10 rounders functioned flawlessly a few weeks before with 150 rds of FMJ. The Glock mags have never failed me, so I'm going to stick with them.

The Shield Arms 15 rd magazines are challenging to load to full capacity. I couldn't picture myself taking a shooting course with them. The sheet metal is so thin I thought I'd sliced my thumb open on the feed lips a couple of times.

I tried them and I'm not satisfied with them. Drive on!

Navin Johnson
10-17-2021, 01:41 PM

Sorry....a bit cornfused.....This post seems to contradict your last post. I was generally referring to mixed reports on these magazines, any aftermarket Glock magazines, and that most likely don't vet properly so if 15 is the difference maker then one is in most circumstances is better off with a gun designed for such. (not to mention capacity is a dick measuring contest at the expense of or in lieu of skill and effort IMHO)

BTW enjoyed your stuff at FT.com

ETA my high cap G43x is a Smith Shield + (will likely trade for another Shield + when first one is vetted and magazines become available)

Shawn Dodson
10-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Sorry....a bit cornfused.....This post seems to contradict your last post.

I had the Shield Arms Gen 2 magazines for about a month but I didn't have the opportunity to get out and function test them until yesterday. It would've been nice to have the same capacity of my G19 in a gun I shoot even better but it didn't turn out that way.

octagon
10-17-2021, 07:24 PM
What this thread confirms is that regardless of what equipment you use or how well it works for others it is imperative to vet your gear. As TLG made clear even the best manufacturers can put out duds. I remember when I paid $720 in 1990 for a German made Sig P226 and it had a bad magazine right out of the box. The weird and cheaper aftermarket mag worked from the start. This was one of the extra capacity mags that used a clock style spring riveted to the mag body near the feedlip. It wouldn't be my first choice today but it worked and getting a new mag through Bamburg gun club in Germany was almost an hour away from my kasern. That was the first of many bad tastes Sig product left in my mouth but I carry a 365 or XL today I just vet them and don't trust ANY brand OEM or aftermarket.

jh9
10-18-2021, 11:37 AM
it is imperative to vet your gear.

It is, but I think more than that this thread shows a lot more variability between the actual magazines in circulation. The factory 10-round mags don't have that problem. That kind of implies to me the ones that work may be closer to "they work... until they don't" than it looks like at first blush.

The un-fucked-with OEM 10s seem to have a larger sample size to draw from with more consistent results over a longer period of time. Everyone is an adult that can make their own choices but I'd rather have "10 for sure" than 15 that might be on the raggedy edge of giving me my first malfunction ever.

Shawn Dodson
12-24-2021, 06:07 PM
I bought three Shield 15 rd magazines and the steel mag catch.

I halted function testing after experiencing a failure to feed involving two of the magazines, with Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ. My function test involves loading the magazine to capacity with one in the chamber, repeated three consecutive times with zero stoppages. Magazine #2 failed during the first repetition, magazine #1 failed during the second rep. Had initial function testing been successful I would have repeated it with my carry ammo, Federal 147gr HST. Instead, I removed the steel mag catch and function tested two Glock 10 rd mags with 147gr HST and called it good. The Glock 10 rounders functioned flawlessly a few weeks before with 150 rds of FMJ. The Glock mags have never failed me, so I'm going to stick with them.

The Shield Arms 15 rd magazines are challenging to load to full capacity. I couldn't picture myself taking a shooting course with them. The sheet metal is so thin I thought I'd sliced my thumb open on the feed lips a couple of times.

I tried them and I'm not satisfied with them. Drive on!

It appears the slide of my G48 may be faulty, which is possibly causing the failures to feed with the Shield Arms magazines. When racking the slide to clear the chamber I have to use extra force to eject the cartridge from the action. I swapped the slide with a G43 slide and there's zero issues with racking the slide to clear the chamber. A combination of stormy weather and lack of opportunity to go shoot has kept be from running to the range with the Shield Arms 15 round magazines to test them with the G43 slide installed on the G48 frame (creating a G43X) to see if the problem recurs. I'll post results when I'm able to do this.

(I've swapped piece parts (extractor & guts; firing pin & guts; firing pin block & spring) between the G43 and G48 in attempt to isolate the problem to one or more of these parts but the problem persists. I suspect the breech face on the G48 slide is either milled slightly out of spec or right at the limit of the spec (not milled deeply enough for adequate clearance between the extractor and breech face for the extractor rim of the case being fed to smoothly slide up between the breech face and extractor. I've experienced an occasional failure to feed with Glock factory 10 round magazines - same fault signature as with the Shield Arm magazines).).

Gun Mutt
04-22-2023, 08:50 PM
@Shit Mods - this is the most recent (which doesn't really track with me) Shield Arms thread I could find, but I'm notoriously bad at search, so please move this as nec.

Whew...last post about stuff from the NRA convention last weekend, been a bit verbose all over P-F tonight.

So forums of the past allowed me the privilege to befriend Eric Pfleger in my beloved Montana. This friendship allowed me to meet Ben, another human who's friendship is a privilege. When Shield Arms released their video of their 43x/48 mags and people poo-poo'd it, Ben was quick to post that he was good friends with one of the two owners and further that his friend's integrity was something he believed in 100%.

I happened upon the Shield booth at the convention and was intrigued by the conversation the other owner was having with two "old" guys (I'm 54AF, so they had to be 70-ish). One of the OG's was asking why he had to use the Shield mag release if he's not planning to do a bunch of rapid reloads on the range. The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

If that's old news to everyone else, mea culpa, it was new to me. He went on to say that they were changing their literature to say their mag catch was mandatory. OG asks if that means he can't use his OEM mags. Shield guy says they can, but they need to engage the mag catch and let the OEM mag slide past it before releasing it to grab in place. OG asks how much the Shield mag catch costs, guy hands OG one and says, nada, use it in good health. I instantly fist bumped him and complimented his customer service as the OG's tittered a thank you and went on their way.

I picked up the demo 43x they had on display and he launched into an explanation of the new vendor, new steel, new dimples, etc of their new gen3 mags. I gotta say, I was impressed and he was carrying them in his edc G48. I damn near bought 3 mags and a mag catch since I was pretty much convinced I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again. See my Jeff Gonzales/AIWB post here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?56856-Long-Term-Damage-from-AIWB&p=1472555#post1472555).

Anyway, anyway, I'm not buying a 43x or 48 anytime soon. But if I did, I'd pick up some Shield gen3 mags and one of their mag catches to test for myself. I'd be surprised to learn that the two seemingly quality owners I met were hucksters.

G19Fan
04-22-2023, 09:42 PM
@Shit Mods - this is the most recent (which doesn't really track with me) Shield Arms thread I could find, but I'm notoriously bad at search, so please move this as nec.

Whew...last post about stuff from the NRA convention last weekend, been a bit verbose all over P-F tonight.

So forums of the past allowed me the privilege to befriend Eric Pfleger in my beloved Montana. This friendship allowed me to meet Ben, another human who's friendship is a privilege. When Shield Arms released their video of their 43x/48 mags and people poo-poo'd it, Ben was quick to post that he was good friends with one of the two owners and further that his friend's integrity was something he believed in 100%.

I happened upon the Shield booth at the convention and was intrigued by the conversation the other owner was having with two "old" guys (I'm 54AF, so they had to be 70-ish). One of the OG's was asking why he had to use the Shield mag release if he's not planning to do a bunch of rapid reloads on the range. The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

If that's old news to everyone else, mea culpa, it was new to me. He went on to say that they were changing their literature to say their mag catch was mandatory. OG asks if that means he can't use his OEM mags. Shield guy says they can, but they need to engage the mag catch and let the OEM mag slide past it before releasing it to grab in place. OG asks how much the Shield mag catch costs, guy hands OG one and says, nada, use it in good health. I instantly fist bumped him and complimented his customer service as the OG's tittered a thank you and went on their way.

I picked up the demo 43x they had on display and he launched into an explanation of the new vendor, new steel, new dimples, etc of their new gen3 mags. I gotta say, I was impressed and he was carrying them in his edc G48. I damn near bought 3 mags and a mag catch since I was pretty much convinced I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again. See my Jeff Gonzales/AIWB post here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?56856-Long-Term-Damage-from-AIWB&p=1472555#post1472555).

Anyway, anyway, I'm not buying a 43x or 48 anytime soon. But if I did, I'd pick up some Shield gen3 mags and one of their mag catches to test for myself. I'd be surprised to learn that the two seemingly quality owners I met were hucksters.

Not hucksters just a poor product (Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags) see plenty of videos showing why on YouTube.

Had 20 samples of Gen 1 and Gen 2. 6 ran flawlessly

Crusader
04-22-2023, 10:22 PM
Didn’t even realize there was a Gen 3 mag, I’m one of the happy SA 15 mag owners. I bought one of the first run 48’s (silver slide). At some point I ended up buying two Gen 1 mags and the SA mag catch, they worked great and I ended up buying three more. But by then the Gen 2 mags were out and the Gen 2 mags would not lock into the Gen 1 catch. Called SA and they told me I needed the Gen2 catch, it will work with both 1 and 2 mags, they gave me a discount code. Sure enough with the Gen 2 catch all mags locked in fine. The five mags I had always ran great, never any issues with them.

About a year and a half ago I bought a G48 MOS private party, the package included a red dot and two Gen 2 SA15 mags with the Gen 2 catch. They ran great in the MOS gun too. I’ve since bought three more Gen 2 mags as well as two of the plus five extensions. For a total of 8-fifteen and 2-20 round SA mags, have not had an issue with any of them. Just last week I put 260 rounds through the MOS gun, problem free. I’ve since added two of the 9 round SA mags for my G43 and so far so good with it.

I’m Glad I loaded up on mags when I did, no telling if the Gen 3 mags will work with the Gen 2 mag catch. That is a pain in the rear.

G48, 48MOS, 43 with SA Mags.
https://i.postimg.cc/zB2xMnM1/IMG-7839.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Hc5087dS)

Tensaw
04-23-2023, 07:44 AM
The Shield guy explains that it's not the insertion or rapid release of the mags that wear out the OEM mag catch, but the little bits of vibration during firing that eventually saws through the OEM catch.

Did not know this. Thought it would be inserting mags that would be the problem.

I was gonna but a 43x now that I could (sorta) carry AIWB again.

I have found the 43X *somewhat* more comfortable and concealable (AIWB) as compared to any other standard width Glock/semi - to include the 26. That said, the 43X is a little tougher for me to shoot well as compared to others.

I have three of the Shield Arms mags. Likely Gen 1, but I don't really know. Zero malfs or issues to date (with either the 43X or SA mags). That said, I haven't put a *ton* of rounds through either. But, I got the mags almost as soon as I got the pistol (probably would not have gone 43X were it not for the availability of the SA mags) so they have been paired together almost from the git go. The factory Glock mags that came with the 43X are fairly pristine. I like the 43X enough that I recently installed an Apex trigger shoe (to try an help alleviate some of my suckage); and I keeping thinking that the 43X will be the next pistol of mine to be adorned with a dot. I keep dragging my feet on this though because the G26 exists and I still carry that quite a bit. Round and round....

Last thing. I have to laugh a little because for years we clamored for a single stack 9mm from Glock. Then, when Glock finally releases such an animal, everyone bitches cause it's harder to shoot. Well, no shit! I tend to treat the 43X like a J frame. I carry it for convenience, not for combat (which is probably a horrible mindset). For instance, I went kayaking the other day, 43X went on that trip (although, again, 26 would have been just fine). If I had it to do over, I would probably choose a Gen 5 26 over a 43x and call it good; but I don't think the G5 G26 existed when I got the 43X and sometimes, the 43X does fit the bill a little better. We really are splitting hairs when picking between the 43X and 26.

Gun Mutt
04-23-2023, 08:08 AM
I finally shot a 43X for the first time 2wks ago. My buddy bought it right when they went to black slides, Shield mags & catch arrived a couple weeks later and he's run them exclusively ever since with zero issues. He'd also installed an Apex trigger and Ameriglo sights. It's a Glock, I liked it, shot it just fine, got my hits. For AIWB, I'm all about it. For IWB, the shorter butt of the 26.5 really the deciding factor for me. That I shoot it much better than I do the 43X is just a bonus.