PDA

View Full Version : Man kills mountain lion killing his dog in BC

LittleLebowski
09-29-2021, 07:00 AM
I can’t embed from that site, sorry.

https://vidmax.com/video/207667-man-kills-cougar-with-a-machete-while-trying-to-save-his-dogs-life-during-vicious-attack

fixer
09-29-2021, 07:16 AM
damn that was hardcore.

hope the lab lived.

Cory
09-29-2021, 07:20 AM
That cat didn't look like it was doing real great. Looked a bit small and gaunt. Took a hell of a lot of damge before letting go.

Kinda nuts.

Bergeron
09-29-2021, 07:26 AM
No hesitation from that dude to get up close AVR personal with the cat. Sorry to read about the dog.

Interesting to note that the cat had festering porcupine quills in paws and mouth. A starving predator can be unpredictable.

JHC
09-29-2021, 07:42 AM
No hesitation from that dude to get up close AVR personal with the cat. Sorry to read about the dog.

Interesting to note that the cat had festering porcupine quills in paws and mouth. A starving predator can be unpredictable.

Insofar as tools and techniques, wouldn't you think a legit knife, preferably 5-7" blade let's say, would make faster work than whipping with a machete? Not faulting the dog owner, "you go to war with the Army you have". I'm thinking deep stab and rip action or straight for it's throat cutting away from doggo.

Bergeron
09-29-2021, 08:00 AM
Agreed, but that assumes not only equipment, but a trained knife fighter. I've spent a lot of time in the woods with a cane knife in hand (think of a down-the-bayou machete), and it seemed like that guy had some machete-chopping experience he was relying on during that encounter.

I did notice some hesitation/frustration when the entangled cat/dog were blocking his overhand strokes, where it appeared that an underhanded stab would have still been available.

You make important points about the utility of blades with points.

Le Français
09-29-2021, 08:11 AM
Insofar as tools and techniques, wouldn't you think a legit knife, preferably 5-7" blade let's say, would make faster work than whipping with a machete? Not faulting the dog owner, "you go to war with the Army you have". I'm thinking deep stab and rip action or straight for it's throat cutting away from doggo.

Getting that close to a big cat might be a lot safer in theory than in practice. They’re not bulldogs, and once your brachial artery, etc., are within easy reach, it might decide to shift its tender ministrations from the dog to you.

blues
09-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Tough way to lose one's dog.

JHC
09-29-2021, 08:32 AM
Getting that close to a big cat might be a lot safer in theory than in practice. They’re not bulldogs, and once your brachial artery, etc., are within easy reach, it might decide to shift its tender ministrations from the dog to you.

+1 I would expect so. But it’s been done a couple times on cougars.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-29-2021, 08:55 AM
Those things go after pets pretty regularly here...the town just west of me is notorious for it; sort of like Churchill is with polar bears, Lake Cowichan is with cougars. I wouldn't want a toddler too far out of reach in the backcountry around there. Fewer here, just 20 miles away, but you do see them around.

When I was a kid, roughly once a year there'd be a cougar day at school, and all the parents would get called and have to come pick their kids up because there was a cougar in the trees on the school ground and the conservation guys hadn't got it yet.

As a result I've often thought about having to pull one off a kid or a dog. Not sure if you'd be able to grab on and take the back, so to speak, and work a knife reverse grip and open one up on the belly and neck. With a dog I'd be more inclined to keep a bit of distance but a kid I think you'd want to get your hands into the thing's mouth pretty pronto to try to peel it off and prevent more damage. They're neck biters as far as I know, I don't think you'd have a ton of time with a little kid.

But despite thinking about it pretty frequently compared to most people, I don't think I have any particularly good data to share.

Malamute
09-29-2021, 09:44 AM
I would expect the cat to instantly respond like a snake to a stab (or touch in a snakes case), meaning trying to bite whatever was stabbing or "biting" it. I was expecting him to stab it with the machete towards the end. The machete blade would give at least some reach in that regard.

This illustrates how useful a firearm (shotgun in particular) would have been for a contact shot to get the cat off the dog quickly. He lost valuable time chopping on the cat.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Just based on the location, I'm actually surprised the guy didn't have a shotgun handy. A pickup partway up Bear Creek Main with no gun in it? Who was driving, Rod Serling?

Totem Polar
09-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Who was driving, Rod Serling?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/MacheteKillsDannyTrejo.jpeg

blues
09-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Just based on the location, I'm actually surprised the guy didn't have a shotgun handy. A pickup partway up Bear Creek Main with no gun in it? Who was driving, Rod Serling?

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/13608451.jpg

"At the very least, one of these..."

Maple Syrup Actual
09-29-2021, 10:31 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/MacheteKillsDannyTrejo.jpeg

I should have guessed...the guy in the video is, after all, a Snow Mexican

Doc_Glock
09-29-2021, 12:27 PM
From what I can tell, that cat crushed that dog's spine with its bite. Doggo's rear end was not working at the end. I know this is sort of how they kill, but dang!

Caballoflaco
09-29-2021, 12:29 PM

Cougars have 5 pointy parts you have to worry about. If you’re already in an entangled fight the shorter blade would probably be better. But, I’m not diving in to an entangled fight with a cougar with a 7” knife in order to save a dog, a kid sure but not a dog. I think the ranged machete was superior, despite it showing how slashes are inferior to stabs for stopping ability.

I’d be interested to hear if Trooper224 has any comments on this fight since he’s a bladed weapons guy.

Le Français
09-29-2021, 12:40 PM
Disregard

Doc_Glock
09-29-2021, 12:41 PM
Also: That guy did great! Disabled the thing in less than a minute. I know we are splitting hares as that is what this place is all about, but dang. Even a 7" blade to the heart is gonna take some time with an animal like that.

JHC
09-29-2021, 12:49 PM
Cougars have 5 pointy parts you have to worry about. If you’re already in an entangled fight the shorter blade would probably be better. But, I’m not diving in to an entangled fight with a cougar with a 7” knife in order to save a dog, a kid sure but not a dog. I think the ranged machete was superior, despite it showing how slashes are inferior to stabs for stopping ability.

I’d be interested to hear if Trooper224 has any comments on this fight since he’s a bladed weapons guy.

Yep. It's not really about dog vs child as much as its about how best to quickly kill a cougar in the entanglement (there have been about two such incidents involved saving a 3rd party human over the years here).

A "ranged" Cold Steel Trailmaster or stout Kukri would be another animal vs a machete.

JHC
09-29-2021, 12:54 PM
I would expect the cat to instantly respond like a snake to a stab (or touch in a snakes case), meaning trying to bite whatever was stabbing or "biting" it. I was expecting him to stab it with the machete towards the end. The machete blade would give at least some reach in that regard.

This illustrates how useful a firearm (shotgun in particular) would have been for a contact shot to get the cat off the dog quickly. He lost valuable time chopping on the cat.

No kidding! (gun)

Many years before PF I heard the interview of a Canadian woman who saved her child who was entangled with a cougar in their campsite by grabbing her butcher knife and jumping on the fight. She came across dryly amused when she said "It really wasn't that hard to kill once you got through the skin." :eek:

Hieronymous
09-29-2021, 01:58 PM
My heart goes out to the guy. To fight like hell to save your faithful companion, think maybe you've done it, and then come to terms with the fact you couldn't save him at the end would be devastating.

I love labs, but this video shows they aren't wired for the fight. I think cougars bite pressure is roughly three times that of a GSD, so no matter the fight in the dog, it's an unequal match.

rd62
09-29-2021, 02:35 PM

Not Trooper224 but I could see this as a suitable case for the deployment of a broadsword.

TGS
09-29-2021, 02:36 PM
I love labs, but this video shows they aren't wired for the fight.

That's one of the things that struck me about the video. The dog had zero sense of aggression or defensiveness, almost to the point of lacking a will to live.

I've been in a fight side-by-side with a now departed rottweiler (mixed, part collie and lab) against a pitbull, and while that's quite a bit more even a fight than a cougar (as you noted), the response in behavior was in a different universe compared to this lab.

ETA: Not only that, but the dude filming obviously isn't wired to be a person of action, either. Like, dude......go grab a fucking tire iron or something and get some. I can't imagine watching someone's pet (especially a dog) being eaten for lunch by a wild animal and thinking, "Oh cool, I'll just sit here like a worthless piece of shit and film for some "likes" on social media."

Additionally, SouthNarc. If he hasn't travelled to the Philippines just to jump in a pit with a wild boar wielding only a loincloth and knife, I'm sure he at least knows a few who have.

I imagine a machete used in a chopping motion would have limited effectiveness against a wild animal's hide, so I'm curious on any technical analysis those two harbingers of mayhem can give us.

corneileous
09-29-2021, 02:44 PM
Man, that was hard to watch. Poor guy and poor dog. I know that was just a wild predator doing what predators do in the wild but damn, I wouldn’t wanna let my animals out of sight like that camping in the woods and I know, it’s not like the dog wandered off too far but still, that just goes to show you they don’t have to wander far off at all to get attacked that close to a campsite by a starving mountain lion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik
09-29-2021, 02:47 PM
Also: I know we are splitting hares as that is what this place is all about, but dang.

[cough] cougars [cough]

corneileous
09-29-2021, 02:49 PM
That's one of the things that struck me about the video. The dog had zero sense of aggression or defensiveness, almost to the point of lacking a will to live.

I've been in a fight side-by-side with a now departed rottweiler (mixed, part collie and lab) against a pitbull, and while that's quite a bit more even a fight than a cougar (as you noted), the response in behavior was in a different universe compared to this lab.

ETA: Not only that, but the dude filming obviously isn't wired to be a person of action, either. Like, dude......go grab a fucking tire iron or something and get some. I can't imagine watching someone's pet (especially a dog) being eaten for lunch by a wild animal and thinking, "Oh cool, I'll just sit here like a worthless piece of shit and film for some "likes" on social media."

Additionally, SouthNarc. If he hasn't travelled to the Philippines just to jump in a pit with a wild boar wielding only a loincloth and knife, I'm sure he at least knows a few who have.

I imagine a machete used in a chopping motion would have limited effectiveness against a wild animal's hide, so I'm curious on any technical analysis those two harbingers of mayhem can give us.

No shit. Whether or not if he even had a gun, he started filming the damn thing long before it even got to the campsite so he could’ve picked up something and helped or at least hollered out and told the guy that there was a cougar looking like it might be coming after his dog.

corneileous
09-29-2021, 02:54 PM
[cough] cougars [cough]

He was sure whackin’ on that cat like Paul Bunyan, wasn’t he?… Lol. I bet you if that machete would’ve been a little bit sharper he probly would’ve of chopped the thing’s head off.

JHC
09-29-2021, 03:01 PM

"Like" doesn't do the bold part justice. And yeah videographer stops to film in cougar and doesn't broadcast a heads up. Camera lens tunnel vision or something.

Trooper224
09-29-2021, 03:12 PM
I can't really trash the videographer too much. Probably, by the time he realized what was going on, machete dude was going to town so I don't know if I'd have gone all "have at you!" myself.

I don't think I would have jumped in there mano e big kitty with a short blade either. Big kitty might have decided I was a bigger problem. Anyone ever take knife defense training oriented towards a predatory feline? I sure haven't. Can't really say what the best Tarzan type move would have been. El Machete did pretty well with what he had. A typical machete isn't really very sharp compared to a combat blade, so he had that working against him. I presume he was trying to tap that pussy without striking the dog in the process, so that probably limited the effectiveness. I could swear he hit the dog a couple of times as it was. This is likely why we see him making numerous and seemingly halfhearted strikes. He was striking the cat exactly where I would have, right behind the head. A good strike to the spinal column would have ended it. However, if that had been done with a purpose built tool like a sword or battle axe, the dog would have been toast as well.

Wise_A
09-29-2021, 03:27 PM
Just sayin', it's called a leash.

Admitting my three are fully off-leash, but in a fenced-in yard that's proven impervious to both fox and coyote. And they're never out of my sight anyway.

Trooper224
09-29-2021, 03:58 PM
Just sayin', it's called a leash.

Admitting my three are fully off-leash, but in a fenced-in yard that's proven impervious to both fox and coyote. And they're never out of my sight anyway.

It appeared to me as if the guy was camping in an RV, it didn't look like a residence. How would a leash have prevented this attack?

LittleLebowski
09-29-2021, 04:19 PM
Could you imagine if this happened in California? Dude would have his life ruined. #SSS (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=SSS)

Bergeron
09-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Jeez, no doubt. On the other hand, living in a free state, if I ever had to end up killing one of those things with an edged weapon, I’m getting a small rug or a fur scarf made out of its pelt.

blues
09-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Jeez, no doubt. On the other hand, living in a free state, if I ever had to end up killing one of those things with an edged weapon, I’m getting a small rug or a fur scarf made out of its pelt.

But not if it killed my dog...then I'd just want to set fire to its corpse.

rd62
09-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Could you imagine if this happened in California? Dude would have his life ruined. #SSS (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=SSS)

Maybe he could claim he too was a Shaman and was sacrificing it as a religious ritual

corneileous
09-29-2021, 05:11 PM

No doubt. Sure, they woulda been sad for the dog and blamed the owner but they woulda strung him up by his toes for killing such a majestic animal.

corneileous
09-29-2021, 05:23 PM
It appeared to me as if the guy was camping in an RV, it didn't look like a residence. How would a leash have prevented this attack?

This may be my own assumption and I may be wrong but I don’t think the guy was trying to associate his fenced in yard with a campsite and who knows if a leash would’ve made a difference, at least the dog would’ve been closer but then again, that cat obviously wasn’t afraid at all to go that far into and close to campsite especially during the day.

Who knows, a leash probably wouldn’t have worked but letting his dogs out of sight is where I think he screwed up, especially since it looked like he was in his camper. Had he been outside, the cat might not have tried that hard but then again if it was starving, who knows what could’ve been done to prevent that short of just not leaving the dogs out of his sight.

Betcha he won’t do it again, tho.

Stephanie B
09-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Cougars have 5 pointy parts you have to worry about.

Caballoflaco
09-29-2021, 07:37 PM

That’s the exact page from the science textbook I learned that fact from.

LittleLebowski
09-29-2021, 10:37 PM
I’m really disappointed that no one asked “But is the mountain lion OK?”

GyroF-16
09-29-2021, 11:18 PM

How about: “where is the mountain lion’s pelt?”

idahojess
09-29-2021, 11:44 PM
http://youtu.be/b6lYT0vILfo

Here is the original video, I think...

This article says it was a three legged lab. Poor old boy.

"The guy in the truck warned me that there was a cat on the road so I ran back to my campsite and grabbed my machete and I’m no hero. The golden lab is the true hero and he gave his life to give me time to get back to my campsite and get my machete. He was an older dog that knew that we were under attack and he retreated but he got caught. He’s the true hero."

The three-legged dog that was under attack was named Chopper.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-347228-101-.htm

All of this is being reported from the YouTube comments, I guess, so take everything with a grain of salt. But the golden lab does look hobbled up even before the attack. Victim selection by the cat.

JHC
09-30-2021, 05:19 AM
http://youtu.be/b6lYT0vILfo

Here is the original video, I think...

This article says it was a three legged lab. Poor old boy.

"The guy in the truck warned me that there was a cat on the road so I ran back to my campsite and grabbed my machete and I’m no hero. The golden lab is the true hero and he gave his life to give me time to get back to my campsite and get my machete. He was an older dog that knew that we were under attack and he retreated but he got caught. He’s the true hero."

The three-legged dog that was under attack was named Chopper.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-347228-101-.htm

All of this is being reported from the YouTube comments, I guess, so take everything with a grain of salt. But the golden lab does look hobbled up even before the attack. Victim selection by the cat.

Thanks, I'm sorry to have thrown shade on the videographer.

Hambo
09-30-2021, 05:46 AM
Yep. It's not really about dog vs child as much as its about how best to quickly kill a cougar in the entanglement

I have zero experience, but I'd want to be pressing the muzzle of a 12ga into the cat.

Gun Mutt
10-01-2021, 11:27 AM

The mountain lion is fine, Little Tommy.

idahojess
10-01-2021, 03:04 PM
I have zero experience, but I'd want to be pressing the muzzle of a 12ga into the cat.

It's the only way to be sure.

backtrail540
10-02-2021, 05:37 AM

I recently read the work of Jim Corbett via his omnibus on hunting man eating cats in India. His theory, which seemed to hold true throughout his experiences, was that big cats mostly avoided humans unless they were damaged/injured to the point that they had to look for food outside of their normal food chain where humans were easy prey. Porcupine injuries were common among the people eaters he disposed of.

cosmog
10-02-2021, 09:18 AM

Do you think he can get really close with knife?

HCM
10-02-2021, 09:42 AM

The mountain lion is fine, Little Tommy.

https://youtu.be/wnh9gs0OdqM

JHC
10-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Do you think he can get really close with knife?

As I noted it’s been done before

LittleLebowski
10-02-2021, 01:00 PM

I doubt that you can get away with that in Canuckistan.

Duelist
10-02-2021, 05:19 PM

No 12g ammo?

blues
10-02-2021, 05:24 PM

You can do a lot of damage with a hockey stick. Just sayin'.