PDA

View Full Version : Equipment-Game: The Beast of Gevaudan

overton
09-20-2021, 06:09 AM
Being quarantined, I watched the old movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf", which is based on the Beast of Gevaudan-Story. So, according to various historians & authors it could be anything from a serial killer (who uses some kind of animal as a cover up) to several ultra-large wolves, to a free roaming hyena or even lion that killed that many people: A 1987 study estimated there had been 610 attacks, resulting in 500 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten.[1] Other sources claim the animal or animals killed between 60 and 100 adults and children and injured more than 30.[1] The beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

If you and your two best friends could travel back in time/parallel universe (ala Chrichtons Timeline) and your job, assigned by the King himself, is to bring safety back to the Margeride Mountains of south-central France , which equipment would you choose? Civilian & portable weapons only, no air support, cars, crew served, grenade launchers, etc. I find that interesting as you have to figure (multiple?) four legged and (multiple?) two legged adversaries in.

As ammo availability is not important here (have to bring all my ammo myself), I would take a suppressed 6.5 Grendel (may the DanielDefense5_V4)with 1-10x scope and thermal scope for night. Although most of the attacks happened in bright daylight, for hunting, I guess a NV/thermal combination google ala DTNVS + ECOTI is a must.

TGS
09-20-2021, 11:38 AM
This is next level, even for P-F.com and our inherent nerdness.

:)

HCM
09-20-2021, 11:59 AM
Being quarantined, I watched the old movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf", which is based on the Beast of Gevaudan-Story. So, according to various historians & authors it could be anything from a serial killer (who uses some kind of animal as a cover up) to several ultra-large wolves, to a free roaming hyena or even lion that killed that many people: A 1987 study estimated there had been 610 attacks, resulting in 500 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten.[1] Other sources claim the animal or animals killed between 60 and 100 adults and children and injured more than 30.[1] The beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

If you and your two best friends could travel back in time/parallel universe (ala Chrichtons Timeline) and your job, assigned by the King himself, is to bring safety back to the Margeride Mountains of south-central France , which equipment would you choose? Civilian & portable weapons only, no air support, cars, crew served, grenade launchers, etc. I find that interesting as you have to figure (multiple?) four legged and (multiple?) two legged adversaries in.

As ammo availability is not important here (have to bring all my ammo myself), I would take a suppressed 6.5 Grendel (may the DanielDefense5_V4)with 1-10x scope and thermal scope for night. Although most of the attacks happened in bright daylight, for hunting, I guess a NV/thermal combination google ala DTNVS + ECOTI is a must.

6.5 G ? tapered cases in an AR? You gonna die.

overton
09-20-2021, 12:06 PM
sorry, my fault. I meant 6.5 Creedmoor.

As for the nerdness, yep 100% history nerd here. The story really fascinated me as this level of victims was highly unusual for simple wolve/dog attacks. And the eyewitness accounts really point to something else.

But if the nerd level is too high: what would you choose if you were in wildlife service in Africa, patrol mostly alone- and have to factor large predators as well as well armed poachers in? What compromise looks best to you?

Lex Luthier
09-20-2021, 12:36 PM
My secret weapon would be to bring Jim Corbett and his favorite bearers and trackers. Only half-joking.

Awareness and ability to read the signs, along with the inherent reliability of any well made cartridge-era repeater would be key.
I'm sure some of the C. 1760 French huntsmen were among the best in their field, but their tools were lacking for the task.

(And if the French Govt had the perspicacity to bring in a few native Canadian hunters and listened to their advice, they'd have gotten the beasts much earlier.)

LittleLebowski
09-20-2021, 01:21 PM
This is next level, even for P-F.com and our inherent nerdness.

:)

I know, I love it :)

LittleLebowski
09-20-2021, 01:41 PM
My secret weapon would be to bring Jim Corbett and his favorite bearers and trackers. Only half-joking.

Awareness and ability to read the signs, along with the inherent reliability of any well made cartridge-era repeater would be key.
I'm sure some of the C. 1760 French huntsmen were among the best in their field, but their tools were lacking for the task.

(And if the French Govt had the perspicacity to bring in a few native Canadian hunters and listened to their advice, they'd have gotten the beasts much earlier.)

This is a job for Jim Shockey, duh :D

Glenn E. Meyer
09-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Choosing such a gun is out of my lane. However, I will recommend that your friends be slower than you.

Hieronymous
09-20-2021, 02:57 PM
Okay, I'll bite. If I don't have to be concerned with my rifle technology permanently altering the balance of power in Europe, e.g. Napoleon becomes unstoppable and we permanently speak French in the U.S., and you can bring only that which you can carry, I'd go with any iteration of a DMR in 5.56 with a 1x8 variable optic.

On the other hand, if I were worried about the balance of power in Europe, etc., I'd leap forward in technology but not too far, say to the percussion carbine M1819 Hall rifle, or for those up-close lupine encounters, maybe a brace of Colt Dragoon revolvers.

By the way, this would make for a fun movie, but it would have to be 80's fun. You, know, gratuitous nudity, ribald language and a healthy amount of violence. ;)

MickAK
09-20-2021, 08:33 PM
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSCDM05.html
Three tablets and a solar charger
Capture wolf-whatever beast
Use tablets to convince illiterate peasants I'm a wizard or something
Breed wolf-beast with large dogs to domesticate it.
Train them for riding.
Wait a few years
Ride into the execution of Louis XVI (ok more than a few years) proclaiming that I was sent by God to take vengeance on blasphemers mounted on wolf-dogs
Be proclaimed Emperor of France, mogg salty Corsican
Die of 100 different common diseases my body has no resistance to
Shouldhavebroughtamask.jpg

Credit to Sailor Jerry

LittleLebowski
09-20-2021, 09:42 PM
This is a job for Jim Shockey, duh :D

Seriously, he shoots muzzle loaders, I’m pretty sure he speak French-Canuck. I mean, problem solved.

Joe in PNG
09-20-2021, 10:37 PM
Okay, I'll bite. If I don't have to be concerned with my rifle technology permanently altering the balance of power in Europe, e.g. Napoleon becomes unstoppable and we permanently speak French in the U.S., and you can bring only that which you can carry, I'd go with any iteration of a DMR in 5.56 with a 1x8 variable optic.

On the other hand, if I were worried about the balance of power in Europe, etc., I'd leap forward in technology but not too far, say to the percussion carbine M1819 Hall rifle, or for those up-close lupine encounters, maybe a brace of Colt Dragoon revolvers.

By the way, this would make for a fun movie, but it would have to be 80's fun. You, know, gratuitous nudity, ribald language and a healthy amount of violence. ;)

I wouldn't worry about over-runging* firearms technology- 18th century chemistry and metallurgy aren't up to cloning a WWII era semi-automatic firearm using cartridges, much less an alloy AR variant or plastic framed SFA.

So, drones, IR & thermal cameras for detection, a suppressed 6.5 Creedmore AR or two; Beretta 1301's with slugs for close in work; and no real preference for sidearms- just no revolvers.

*term from Ian M Bank's Culture series

HCM
09-21-2021, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about over-runging* firearms technology- 18th century chemistry and metallurgy aren't up to cloning a WWII era semi-automatic firearm using cartridges, much less an alloy AR variant or plastic framed SFA.

So, drones, IR & thermal cameras for detection, a suppressed 6.5 Creedmore AR or two; Beretta 1301's with slugs for close in work; and no real preference for sidearms- just no revolvers.

*term from Ian M Bank's Culture series

I’ll take all that plus I want this guy backing me up. And yes that is a bush knife handle made from a human femur on his left side.

Whiskey
09-21-2021, 12:48 AM
16 inch AR with a 1-8 LPVO and a MRDS on top, white light, IR illuminator/pointer, loaded with a mix of M855A1 (just in case we are going with the armored lion theory) and tracer (because lots of shit doesn't like fire). .45 Caliber P10F(MHI silver rounds loaded of just to rule out the supernatural) compensated with MRDS and white light. All three dudes with PVS 31's and handheld thermal monoculars.

Step 1- Find a peasant that looks like he/she is prone to mishaps
Step 2- follow them around wait for the beast to attack.
Step 3- Kill monster, get paid.
'

Joe in PNG
09-21-2021, 12:51 AM
I’ll take all that plus I want this guy backing me up. And yes that is a bush knife handle made from a human femur on his left side.

I wonder if I've met him, or if we have some wantoks in common.

As for the bone, it may be a muruk (cassowary) bone dagger (https://www.google.com/search?q=muruk+bone+dagger&client=firefox-b-e&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigqfHYr4_zAhULeH0KHUtMCzQQ_AUoAXoECAEQA w&biw=1920&bih=1058&dpr=1).