PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Suppressor Discussion.

JDM
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Within the next 6 months I'm going to purchase a suppressor for my DDM4 (5.56).

I really like the size/weight of the Surefire Mini, as I have a 16" barrel, and am not particularly interested in going the SBR route.

Aside from the cost assoicated with the Surefire product, are there any other drawbacks?

Anyone with firsthand experience with the Surefire Mini?

ETA: I'm not in any way married to the Surefire, I find it appealing because of the reputation that Surefire has. If there are better options, I'd love to hear about them!

DocGKR
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
These are among the best suppressors we have used--you could do FAR worse...

Josh Runkle
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
The main issue here (as most firearm questions always seem to revolve around) is: what are you using it for?

For me, several things are important (In this order):

1. Minimal point of impact shift
2. Repeatability of Zero when removing and reattaching
3. Concussion suppression (I'm using muzzle brakes these days)
4. Flash Suppression
5. Reduction in felt recoil
6. Ability to perform under adverse conditions
7. Sound suppression

The military/LE units might have additional objectives like "The ability to be removed rapidly to stay in the fight in the case of a bullet strike, or the ability to continue to shoot through a bad can."

Notice that sound suppression is last on my list. For the majority of civilian owners, they buy the suppressor for fun, and therefore are most impressed with sound suppression (which is least important in my book). Many companies like AAC design their cans around being the "quietest" and not only market themselves so, but may also actually be the quietest. Companies like Surefire market things like "repeatable zero" and may be the best at that as well.

A lot of the "which one is the best" is completely determined by your needs/desires. If you want something quiet to impress your friends, buy an AAC. If you want something to kick down a door, buy a surefire or a Knight's Armament. If you want something to continue to function right after you popped out of the ocean and are stealthily storming a beach, check out OPS, INC. If you want extreme precision: Elite Iron.

There are more, well-designed suppressors out there than ever before, and honestly, even a cheap little YHM or GemTech is going to work better than the best suppressors from 20 years ago. But, if you want the best, determine what your needs are, then go with the company that serves that best.

For me (as far as 5.56 goes): I bought a Knight's Armament NT4, and I'm going to pick up a surefire socom 556-rc whenever they start shipping.

Jakus
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
What about mini vs full size can? Weight/Length vs sound reduction?

I've been thinking about getting a .30 cal can and using it on both 5.56 SBR's and .308 platforms, has anyone gone this route?

Josh Runkle
08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
What about mini vs full size can? Weight/Length vs sound reduction?

I've been thinking about getting a .30 cal can and using it on both 5.56 SBR's and .308 platforms, has anyone gone this route?

Well, a full size can on a rifle is usually not hearing safe, i.e.: you still have to wear hearing protection. Even if it is quiet enough for you to "bear", it's still unsafe to hear.

Many people buy a .30 cal can and use it on both, then get bitten by the suppressor bug and end up buying a 5.56 can down the road as well. Some just keep the one and have lots of fun. Either way: if you only buy the one, go full length. If you need a shit-kicker to thrown on an SBR and are trying to keep the concussion down in small rooms, get a mini.

MDS
08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm getting everything together to buy a shorty and a small can, like a Surefire Mini or AAC Mini4. I already have a SPR/M4 to mount on other guns, this would be a dedicated suppressed SBR, meant to take the bite out of the shorty's bark and make it enjoyable to practice with while keeping it, you know, short. IOW, I don't plan on shooting it unsuppressed much if at all.

So obviously, I'm no expert. My research tells me that the SF is much more well tested, though plenty of folks love their Mini4. If money's tight, the OPS Inc M4-S is less expensive and plenty of folks seem to like it, too. But it seems like the more likely you are to get sand in your can, the more you'll tend towards the SF mini. Could be some sort of selection bias, or it could be that the SF cans take the most beating. Near as I can tell, the sound suppression is comparable among the short cans.

On a related note, I think I remember someone posting about how a smaller gas port is important for reliability in suppressed SBRs. Would you SME's insist on something like a Switchblock for a suppressed shorty? [This is a different question, I can start a new thread if that's appropriate.]

JDM
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm buying it mostly to take the edge off of the noise and blast. I realize that a 556 isn't going to be hearing safe with a can, but it will be more hearing safe than the same gun without a can should I ever be forced to use it sans hearing protection.

Kyle Reese
08-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I just dropped some coinage on an NFA Trust and an AAC Mini 4. Can't wait to join the NFA club. :)

Also going to pick up a factory DD MK 18 as well from CSA in Richmond, as funds (and HH6) permit.

SamuelBLong
08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Im at the airport, headed out to SC for a week, but I thought I'd chime in... you have my number if you want to talk it out further.

Between the 212/K design and the Mini you're only giving up 2 dB of suppression on a 16" gun. (pretty much imperceptible to the ear) I call that an acceptable trade for the size / weight. AAC is in a mess of changing mounting system designs, plus some other company drama... at this point I think they've been surpassed by Surefire and SilencerCo.

The only downside is the price.

Do it.

Josh Runkle
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Im at the airport, headed out to SC for a week, but I thought I'd chime in... you have my number if you want to talk it out further.

Between the 212/K design and the Mini you're only giving up 2 dB of suppression on a 16" gun. (pretty much imperceptible to the ear) I call that an acceptable trade for the size / weight. AAC is in a mess of changing mounting system designs, plus some other company drama... at this point I think they've been surpassed by Surefire and SilencerCo.

The only downside is the price.

Do it.

Not an expert, but I do believe 2db would mean something is very roughly about 4 times louder than the other. I do believe it would be definitely perceptible. Could be wrong, though.

derekb
08-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Not an expert, but I do believe 2db would mean something is very roughly about 4 times louder than the other. I do believe it would be definitely perceptible. Could be wrong, though.

An increase of ten dB in sound pressure is perceived as twice as loud. A 1 dB difference is typically considered the smallest increment perceptible by the human ear.

SGT_Calle
08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I believe that six dB is actually a doubling of amplitude but ten dB is typically perceived as "twice as loud."

DanH
08-07-2012, 01:12 AM
You are both correct. one Bel (10 decibels) is a doubling of loudness, while 6dB is a doubling of sound pressure, which measures the intensity of the wave.
Perceived loudness depends on several factors, including sound pressure, amplitude and frequency.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm (Source)