PDA

View Full Version : How Minneapolis police changed after the George Floyd incident

LittleLebowski
09-17-2021, 06:12 AM
Ray Charles saw this coming.

#SmileAndWaveBoys

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-policing-minneapolis/

Almost immediately after Floyd’s death, Reuters found, police officers all but stopped making traffic stops. They approached fewer people they considered suspicious and noticed fewer people who were intoxicated, fighting or involved with drugs, records show. Some in the city, including police officers themselves, say the men and women in blue stepped back after Floyd’s death for fear that any encounter could become the next flashpoint.

CWM11B
09-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Like the commercial used to say "You asked for it, you got it! Toyota!"
And the hyperbole in that article is the kind that will keep those still working there disengaged, drive others off, and kill recruiting. All of these emotion led cities are getting exactly what they ask for and deserve.

Trooper224
09-17-2021, 10:40 AM
I'm flabbergasted I tell you, completely flummoxed.

LHS
09-17-2021, 11:10 AM
Reminds me of H.L. Mencken's quote: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

mmc45414
09-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Sums it up:

And the article even acknowledges DW was a criminal resisting arrest:

Lex Luthier
09-17-2021, 12:06 PM
There is an extremely vague and misleading Minneapolis ballot proposal that has been in and out of court several times in the last few weeks; it is essentially asking the voters to choose to change the city charter to remove the requirement for a police department, to be replaced by a"Public Safety" department, with police added into the mix if necessary. No details or steps are laid out in the ballot proposal as to how this would be achieved.
The police chief would serve under the sole control of the city council and the mayor's office would be sidelined from any decision making on public safety.
The City Council is strongly behind it, of course.

https://yes4minneapolis.org

Early voting by absentee and mail-in ballot starts within a couple of days.

The outlook in the City of Lakes is starting to resemble Detroit in 1950; "It had such promise..."
The fools driving this think they'll lord it over in hell. Hubert Humphrey only blunted the communists in the DFL after the war, but they're back now.

Take a look at this video snippet from yesterday:
https://twitter.com/id_crime/status/1438665913969033221?s=20

The most prominent anti-police activist in Minneapolis, blaming the cops for the gunfire that interrupts her conversation.

JohnO
09-17-2021, 01:11 PM
How America's police changed after the George Floyd incident! <-- Fixed it for you.

Juvenile crime in CT is Out of Control. Every other demographic's violent & property crime is up too.

The CT legislature passed and the Dickhead governor signed a Bill into law eliminating Qualified Immunity for police officers. The LEOs I have been training with all say ZERO crime suppression is taking place. Those who didn't get out want out. Hartford CT had to implement a Stop Loss. New Haven was just advertising they have 70 openings for police officers. My buddy on the K9 squad said the whole squad got together and decided they are not sending a dog for a bite lest they get disbanded. Large groups of quads and dirt bikes ride amuck through the cities driven by youts who literally 'can not be touched'. The current policy of breaking the pipeline to prison has emboldened those inclined to cause trouble. What the bleeding hearts have done is provided a training ground for youths to progress to bigger more serious crimes with impunity. https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/lawmakers-leaders-question-connecticuts-juvenile-justice-system-following-deadly-new-britain-hit-and-run/520-163f431d-174e-4a26-b049-978d1cb93eb8

It's a total shit show! A LE friend said they are just waiting for one of these little untouchable angels to present a deadly threat to the wrong person. "It's coming and it will be ugly", is what they keep saying.

Overnight car thefts and burglaries are epidemic in the suburbs. A couple weeks ago a foolish guy in my town tried to intervene and had shots thrown at him. Almost unheard of in my town till now (the shooting part not the burglaries).
https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-cheshire-man-shot-at-follows-car-thieves-20210805-4dofa3wkofb3hhro5h4g3uep54-story.html

Flamingo
09-17-2021, 02:25 PM
How America's police changed after the George Floyd incident! <-- Fixed it for you.

Juvenile crime in CT is Out of Control. Every other demographic's violent & property crime is up too.

The CT legislature passed and the Dickhead governor signed a Bill into law eliminating Qualified Immunity for police officers. The LEOs I have been training with all say ZERO crime suppression is taking place. Those who didn't get out want out. Hartford CT had to implement a Stop Loss. New Haven was just advertising they have 70 openings for police officers. My buddy on the K9 squad said the whole squad got together and decided they are not sending a dog for a bite lest they get disbanded. Large groups of quads and dirt bikes ride amuck through the cities driven by youts who literally 'can not be touched'. The current policy of breaking the pipeline to prison has emboldened those inclined to cause trouble. What the bleeding hearts have done is provided a training ground for youths to progress to bigger more serious crimes with impunity. https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/lawmakers-leaders-question-connecticuts-juvenile-justice-system-following-deadly-new-britain-hit-and-run/520-163f431d-174e-4a26-b049-978d1cb93eb8

It's a total shit show! A LE friend said they are just waiting for one of these little untouchable angels to present a deadly threat to the wrong person. "It's coming and it will be ugly", is what they keep saying.

Overnight car thefts and burglaries are epidemic in the suburbs. A couple weeks ago a foolish guy in my town tried to intervene and had shots thrown at him. Almost unheard of in my town till now (the shooting part not the burglaries).
https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-cheshire-man-shot-at-follows-car-thieves-20210805-4dofa3wkofb3hhro5h4g3uep54-story.html

How can a PD implement a stop loss?

BehindBlueI's
09-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Hartford CT had to implement a Stop Loss.

What's that mean? It's not the military, you can't discipline me for quitting.

blues
09-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Hartford was a shit show when I worked up there in the mid 80's. I can only imagine what it's like now.

(And I wasn't too thrilled with their cops who I nearly got into a gunfight with either.)

SCCY Marshal
09-17-2021, 03:31 PM
(And I wasn't too thrilled with their cops who I nearly got into a gunfight with either.)

You can't not tell this story.

blues
09-17-2021, 03:42 PM
You can't not tell this story.'

I've told it before...but essentially, we had an "informant" in the Hartford area who reported that his life was being threatened by someone for reasons I no longer remember.

We set up an op at a location in Hartford, and I was his minder.

(Unbeknownst to us, the sick SOB had also contacted Hartford P.D. and reported something similar with the intent of creating mayhem.)

The guy went to the john in the location and I was at a urinal with a gun in my hand rather than the other tool, when a few guys burst in, with guns showing, but no one announced who they were.

I thought they were there to cap the informant, and I had a bead on the head of their ringleader, (their sergeant as it turns out), when someone had the presence of mind to finally announce. How no one got killed that day, I don't know. I pondered it over many sullen shots of tequila that night.

Mistakes were made on both sides, but I have never forgiven their failure to identify themselves. And when the sergeant tried to laugh it off, I had to be physically restrained.

Totem Polar
09-17-2021, 04:15 PM
'

I've told it before...but essentially, we had an "informant" in the Hartford area who reported that his life was being threatened by someone for reasons I no longer remember.

(Unbeknownst to us, the sick SOB had also contacted Hartford P.D. and reported something similar with the intent of creating mayhem.)

The guy went to the john in the location and I was at a urinal with a gun in my hand rather than the other tool, when a few guys burst in, with guns showing, but no one announced who they were.

I thought they were there to cap the informant, and I had a bead on the head of their ringleader, (their sergeant as it turns out), when someone had the presence of mind to finally announce. How no one got killed that day, I don't know. I pondered it over many sullen shots of tequila that night.

Mistakes were made on both sides, but I have never forgiven their failure to identify themselves. And when the sergeant tried to laugh it off, I had to be physically restrained.

I absolutely remember that story. At least you looked good doing it, armed as you were with a snub model 15, IIRC, yes?

CWM11B
09-17-2021, 04:18 PM

Yeah, color me confused as well. I cant quit? Cant retire when my time is up? Like BBL said, it ain't the military.

blues
09-17-2021, 04:19 PM
I absolutely remember that story. At least you looked good doing it, armed as you were with a snub model 15, IIRC, yes?

I don't think I'd have had time for a reload. (It would have been the 2" Model 15 or the 36. I carried both, don't remember which one I had with me, or both.)

TGS
09-17-2021, 04:49 PM
How can a PD implement a stop loss?

Different government, different laws/rules for essential personnel.

For instance at my job, I can actually get in trouble for walking out. I am not legally allowed to drop my gun and badge on my supervisors desk, tell him I'm quitting, and leave. There's a bureaucratic process we have to go through to resign and I'm under the impression that technically the US Gov't can tell me no, though that's probably never happened outside of extreme circumstances and they can go after people for failing to go through that process.

We had an agent lose her shit and Irish Goodbye the agency down in Miami. I'm not sure if the Department ever went after her for it, but suffice to say at the very least she will never hold a USG job or security clearance ever again.

Coyotesfan97
09-17-2021, 05:09 PM
'

We had a central “clearinghouse” you could call if you were conducting an operation in your city or a neighboring one where you’d give the location/time (almost always an hour before it started for us) you were doing it. The problem was narcs are paranoid about disclosing this stuff. Assuming agencies did this the duty Officer would tell you hmmm City X PD is doing one there too. The idea was to prevent bad things like that. Was there something similar for you?

Coyotesfan97
09-17-2021, 05:15 PM

Was it NYPD that had so many eligible Officers trying to retire they were limiting the number of Officers per day who could turn in their paperwork by forcing them to make appointments with HR? Then the daily number of appointments available was 8-10 IIRC. There was a months long back up.

ETA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8504523/NYPD-limits-retirement-applications-cops-file-amid-400.html

blues
09-17-2021, 05:26 PM
We had a central “clearinghouse” you could call if you were conducting an operation in your city or a neighboring one where you’d give the location/time (almost always an hour before it started for us) you were doing it. The problem was narcs are paranoid about disclosing this stuff. Assuming agencies did this the duty Officer would tell you hmmm City X PD is doing one there too. The idea was to prevent bad things like that. Was there something similar for you?

I remember such notifications later on, but my recollection, (rightly or wrongly), is that they did not make a report to the locals for one reason or another, and that was on my outfit.

I know that we would do so in South FL fairly regularly unless there was a reason not to get them involved. Sometimes we'd have to just do it on the fly while doing lengthy surveillances to keep patrol units from bracing us and bringing attention.

It is unfortunate that better coordination was lacking back in the day.

TGS
09-17-2021, 05:33 PM
I know that we would do so in South FL fairly regularly unless there was a reason not to get them involved.

What, like dudes being on payroll?

When working organized crime in NYC, we couldn't ever notify NYPD, because practically everywhere we went we knew of officers in that precinct on someone's payroll. Even the NYPD OC unit was leaky as a sieve, and we couldn't tell them about warrants until we were already set up on the target.

So, yeah, mistaken run-ins with patrol units and blue-on-blue was something that even today we would talk about at the brief; "good guy halo", can't tell the units in the area we were there, etc. Could all end poorly if the snowball starts rolling down the mountain.

blues
09-17-2021, 05:38 PM
What, like dudes being on payroll?

When working organized crime in NYPD we couldn't ever notify them, because practically everywhere we went we knew of officers in that precinct on someone's payroll. Even the NYPD OC unit was leaky as a sieve, and we couldn't tell them about warrants until we were already set up on the target.

So, yeah, mistaken run-ins with patrol units and blue-on-blue was something that even today we would talk about at the brief; "good guy halo", can't tell the units in the area we were there, etc. Could all end poorly if the snowball starts rolling down the mountain.

I think back in the early and mid 80's things were more parochial than they were later, and since, but there could be any number of reasons. Operational integrity, fear of bad actors in other agencies with jurisdiction, etc.

I've had the unfortunate experience of arresting one detective who was involved in a multi-national smuggling ring I was investigating, (which led to an implication, never brought to fruition by IA, of a guy I was on SRT with), as well as finding out that another detective I worked UC ops with was later arrested for being paid off by narco-traffickers.

So, there's a bit of everything in the stew, but absent evidence to the contrary, I think in the above instance it was either "failure to communicate" or the source had mentioned not to contact Hartford P.D. for reasons. (Now we know the reasons were to get us to kill one another.)

Anyway, not one of my happiest moments early in my career.

Robert Mitchum
09-18-2021, 02:54 AM
I worked the Hartford Correctional Center in the 80's ..

If I had a Dollar for every use of Force .. I had to write it would be a nice sum of cash.

It felt like ancient Rome .. I would listen to welcome to the Jungle very load on the way to work to get my mind in full violent mood.
we where so understaffed at one point they had us working double shifts everyday for Months and call you on your days off.

https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg

mmc45414
09-18-2021, 06:08 AM
Then the daily number of appointments available was 8-10 IIRC. There was a months long back up.
That is how some reluctant county sheriffs were doing CHL applications when it was new in Ohio. Like it was "shall issue", three days a week, four hours a day. In some cases they had a legit complaint since they had a new function to staff, maybe a problem in some smaller counties, in the larger ones there was probably somebody on light duty that could deal with it. But some of them didn't agree with the new law so they were just being dicks about it.

BehindBlueI's
09-18-2021, 03:42 PM
Political content removed and made into it's own thread in the correct sub-forum

Yung
09-18-2021, 05:04 PM
Not-Reaching Pouches

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ooc/news-releases/Pages/dps-partners-with-valerie-castile.aspx

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 16, 2021

DPS Partners with Valerie Castile to Help Reduce Deadly Force Encounters
Not-Reaching Pouches now Available for Citizens

ST. PAUL —“License and registration, please." It's what we expect to hear when law enforcement stops us for a moving violation.

But today, many motorists ask themselves when the appropriate time is to reach into their glove box, purse or back pocket for the information.

The Minnesota State Patrol, along with several law enforcement agencies across the state, want to make it easier for drivers to store the information and for law enforcement to see when motorists are reaching for documents.

It's called a “Not-Reaching Pouch." Its intent is to store a person's driver's license, and insurance card in a pouch that's kept in plain sight in the vehicle on an air vent or other visible location.

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) recently purchased some Not-Reaching Pouches, which were created by Valerie Castile in partnership with Jacquelyn Carter, to help reduce deadly force encounters between law enforcement and citizens during traffic stops.

The Minnesota State Patrol and other agencies hand out the pouches during community events and other contacts with citizens.

Participating agencies include:

Minnesota State Patrol
Saint Paul Police
Brooklyn Park Police
Crystal Police
Bloomington Police
St. Louis Park Police
Richfield Police
Eagan Police
St. Cloud Police
University of Minnesota
Rochester Police
Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office
“We are continually looking for ways to reduce deadly force encounters as these instances can be catastrophic for police officers, and community members ," said DPS Assistant Commissioner Booker Hodges. “By working together with Ms. Castile, who has tirelessly advocated for these since her son was killed in a deadly force encounter with law enforcement, we are hoping these pouches help in some way reduce these instances, even if it's just one."

https://twitter.com/MnDPS_DPS/status/1438584949112721414?s=19
https://www.facebook.com/MnPublicSafety/

RoyGBiv
09-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Not-Reaching Pouches

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ooc/news-releases/Pages/dps-partners-with-valerie-castile.aspx

Interesting idea but the only way I'd consider using it is if I could legally keep 2 copies of my DL.
What a PITA to think about moving my DL out of my wallet every time I get behind the wheel.

Horseman
09-18-2021, 09:44 PM
Not-Reaching Pouches

"Not-Reaching Pouches, which were created by Valerie Castile in partnership with Jacquelyn Carter..."

:rolleyes:

Being old enough to remember things that have come and gone has advantages:

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Nostalgic-Sun-Visor-Car-Registration-Holder-p/upc5029.htm

BobM
09-18-2021, 10:38 PM
"Not-Reaching Pouches, which were created by Valerie Castile in partnership with Jacquelyn Carter..."

:rolleyes:

Being old enough to remember things that have come and gone has advantages:

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Nostalgic-Sun-Visor-Car-Registration-Holder-p/upc5029.htm

I remember seeing those a long time ago.