PDA

View Full Version : H&K trigger return springs

JodyH
03-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I can't remember exactly who had the suggestion of taping the trigger forward when installing a new trigger return spring in H&K's, but they are a genius.
I swapped in a new TRS in my P2000 in about 2 minutes with minimal frustration.

Punch out trigger pin.
Remove old spring.
Start trigger pin back in "large" hole just to the point where it protrudes into the spring cavity.
Insert 1/16" punch in "small" hole just to the point where it protrudes into the spring cavity.
Wrap tape around the back of the trigger and around the front of the trigger guard to hold the trigger in the forward position.
Insert new TRS with needle nose pliers.
Use the nose of the pliers to compress the spring.
Press 1/16" punch through spring once it's aligned.
Now use punch to help wiggle TRS as you use the trigger pin to push out the punch.
Make the final alignments and push the trigger pin all the way in.
Function test and hit the range.

JV_
03-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't remember exactly who had the suggestion of taping the trigger forward when installing a new trigger return spring in H&K's, but they are a genius.http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?438-How-light-is-quot-too-light-quot-for-a-carry-gun-trigger&p=6387#post6387

I don't get to take credit for good ideas very often, they're usually lost among the plethora of stupid things.... :D

JodyH
03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Rock on!
I'll be passing along this info to the FLETC USBP armorers.
:cool:

wrt81
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

SecondsCount
03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
I finally broke (V2 LEM) mine and replaced it last night. Thanks to the tips and tricks on here, it took me longer to get out the tools and get setup than it did to replace the spring.

Crusader8207
03-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I have also used a rolled up piece of paper towel placed behind the trigger to keep it in the forward position.

LSP972
03-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I guess I've been lucky: I haven't broken one yet.

What round counts are you seeing these break at? I passed 10K in my "training" HK45C a while back, and replaced ALL the springs as a precaution. I've got a couple of other HK pistols well north of 5K.

Peally
03-19-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm curious as well. I've broken the 5K mark and have been sitting wondering what the hell I should actually be replacing to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

SecondsCount
03-19-2015, 02:20 PM
I have not done a real good job of keeping track but based on my ammo usage, etc. the spring broke somewhere north of 15K rounds. This number does not include dry fire.

The gun had been retired to range use only so I just let it run until it broke but if it a big concern for you, the spring is not expensive and is fairly easy to replace. Not to scare anyone but the original spring broke on shot #2 of the practice session. :eek:

Peally
03-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys. Since I carry+dry fire the thing it sounds like ~10K live rounds is a pretty safe number to swap out the springs. Like LSP972 do you normally swap out ALL (hammer, firing pin, extractor, mag release, etc) springs or just trigger and recoil springs?

I'm ashamed to say I've never had a single pistol see enough use to ever think about this before now.

JodyH
03-19-2015, 02:59 PM
If it's the standard square wire TRS I would change it between 5k and 7.5k rounds if you do any regular dry fire. The lighter weight round wire springs seem to be good for 7.5k to 10k.
Recoil spring on a hammer fired H&K 9mm pistol is a 15k to 20k round item. All the other springs (main, flat, elbow) are 20k items.

Peally
03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Beautiful, I appreciate it