PDA

View Full Version : Carry your gear

Tom Givens
09-16-2021, 09:34 PM
As my friend, John Farnam, says "When you least expect it, you're elected".

10:52 am, not midnight. At the gym, literally minding your own business.

Carry your damned gun.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2021/sep/16/kalispell-shooting-leaves-one-man-dead-two-injured/

YVK
09-16-2021, 09:59 PM
This has been discussed in other subsections, but I find gym to be the hardest place to conceal. Less support from gym clothes, more exposure chances with vigorous movements. I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc. Off body carry in a gym bag is the only way that I can do it reliably.

octagon
09-17-2021, 08:56 AM
This has been discussed in other subsections, but I find gym to be the hardest place to conceal. Less support from gym clothes, more exposure chances with vigorous movements. I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc. Off body carry in a gym bag is the only way that I can do it reliably.

For sure much tougher to carry on person. If you wear sweat pants an ankle holster is an option. The Enigma is pretty impressive even for decent activity but I haven't tried it at the gym. Nothing beats a polymer 380 in Smart carry for me. Easy on and off when changing, works with pants or shorts and any activity while staying on body and concealed.

vcdgrips
09-17-2021, 09:41 AM
I confess I am not a full on gym rat. 20-30 min of cardio on a bike or treadmill and 2-3 sets of 10 on some machines 3x week max.

I do not know of this sweat pants issue that you speak.

With the advent of various tech fabrics, Prana/Kuhl/First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) etc. , all make stretchy pants that/shorts have belt loops and the freedom of movement needed for most workouts.
40-90 retail. 20-50% off with a sharp pencil. Walmart/Target/Costco knock offs of same ar 15ish-30ish on a daily basis.

https://www.prana.com/men/bottoms/zion-family-collection.html?pmpt=discounted&pmid=dynamic-category-promotion-full

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Outdoor-Zip-Cargo-Pant/999372685

Kydex AIWB/Wilderness or MMT belt/G19 or J-Frame/Appropriate wicking T base layer and cover garment. Purpose designed belt with purpose designed holster and it is not that hard. If I had a single stack .380 or 9mm, it would be even easier.

Flamingo
09-17-2021, 09:57 AM
I work out in a garage gym, but I have done a lot of my workouts with my Enigma on. The only thing I would worry about doing while wearing it would be burpees. I don't think dropping to prone on the gun would be that comfortable. Squats are no problem. Bench may be an issue if there is a failed lift and there is no spotter.

GearFondler
09-17-2021, 10:26 AM
I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc.

There's been enough real-world testing at this point to conclude that if you can do it with a belt mounted holster and pants you can also do it with an Enigma and swim trunks. Or buck naked if that's your thing.
But it's not great for .380's as they just get too small to work well with the Enigma... You actually get better concealment stepping up to the P365 size range.

Trooper224
09-17-2021, 10:38 AM
I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario. That being said, the only thing I ever found workable during a workout was an ankle holster and long pants. Everything else presented some kind of issue I wasn't willing to deal with. Fortunately, I no longer use a public gym. Now, I use the gym at work before I go on duty and I do it early before anyone's around. Consequently, I could work out buck ass naked wearing nothing but a shoulder rig and no one would notice. (Sorry for the visual.)

Default.mp3
09-17-2021, 11:56 AM
So, uh, how do I carry at a climbing gym?

vcdgrips
09-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Outside my lane as I have only ever been to climbing gyms with Scouts.

My thoughts are these. Hppy to be educated by those with more education/training/experience in this realm.

Presuming you are not in violation of applicable law and visual exposure would be embarrassing without being a law violation:

Closed loop IWB/AIWB with a thumb break

Purposed designed Fanny Pack

Hill People Gear Chest Pack

Appropriate Cover Garment of Wicking Material

vcdgrips
09-17-2021, 12:13 PM
T224 says:

"I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario."

When I read the story and contemplated the message, I thought that part of what was going on was said bystander, because he was at a gym and was not carrying on body, drove him to having gun in car and having to retrieve it, thereby potentially wasting valuable time/tactical advantage etc v. simply having a weapon on your body even while working out in the gym, ergo the inextricably intertwined set of events between the gym and the parking lot.

FWIW/YMMV

TGS
09-17-2021, 12:39 PM

Could always throw a Chekhov .25 in your underwear.

feudist
09-17-2021, 12:48 PM
I wear a belt under my shorts and carry a 442 AIWB. Works fine.

WobblyPossum
09-17-2021, 12:52 PM
I mostly work out at home before heading to the office these days and just keep a handgun within arms reach. If I had to work out at a public gym, I’d probably look at a combination of a 1.5 stack 9mm like the P365 or Shield Plus and either a Phlster Enigma or a Mastermind Tactics Covert belt under my gym shorts. I’ve gone for 6 mile runs with an AIWB G19 or G26 and done burpees with an AIWB G19. It’s not super comfortable but it’s not too much of a hassle. I can only imagine a smaller gun using one of these concealment systems would be even more comfortable.

Jason M
09-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Heres my take. I walk around most of the time in outdoorsy clothing. EB First ascent guide pants or shorts are favorites. I also like the Patagonia water shorts. Both have belt loops and are suited to doing lots of physically active things including water sports. A bio-thane belt like the First Spear Line One belt is equally at home in the water. The holsters most often used are the DSG Orion for a G19/G26 or a JMCK wing claw with DCC clips. Is it reasonable to believe that if an ensemble is comfortable for daily and sporting wear it should also work in the training environment?

I believe that it is. I discovered that this same set up works equally well at the mat room as well as the gym! There is no compromise with mobility in the matroom. A proof of concept experiment was done with the gear and a weighted blue gun in G26 form and a live G43. With a liner shirt and a baggier over t-shirt there were not a lot of concealment issues. The holsters kept their positions through several workouts selected for their movement. (Crossfit Karen, Dianne, and Fran) There were no retention issues. There were no comfort issues even when squatting deep or doing burpees. The only concealment issue was when doing flat bench presses and handstand pushups. A snug fitting tech shirt over the gun but under the t-shirt is a fix for the flat bench.I don't do really long runs. This system works comfortably for a 2 mi PT run. All of the gear is able to be de-funked by washing with soap and water.

When it comes to gun selection for all purpose daily carry when not doing work stuff, the G26 is a great (for me) choice. I think I've shared my reasoning before. For the gym, the G43 holds a slight advantage. Thinness makes a difference for me here and I often don't even feel the weight of the gun during the workout.

This is my PT system. It allows me to have a "real" gun in the gym and allows me to have familiar gear in the event it is needed .

Default.mp3
09-17-2021, 01:30 PM
Outside my lane as I have only ever been to climbing gyms with Scouts.

My thoughts are these. Hppy to be educated by those with more education/training/experience in this realm.

Presuming you are not in violation of applicable law and visual exposure would be embarrassing without being a law violation:

Closed loop IWB/AIWB with a thumb break

Purposed designed Fanny Pack

Hill People Gear Chest Pack

Appropriate Cover Garment of Wicking MaterialThe problem here is that anything on the belt line probably won't work, because you will be taking falls, and there will a lot of force on the harness over the hips; that will drive the gun into your body, potentially dangerously, I would think. As for fanny packs and chest packs, that would be extremely out of place; people simply don't do that, because what would you keep in there that would make any sense? There's also still some issue of impacts, as you fall and slam into a volume or wall. And none of those are viable once you get onto the bouldering wall, where most gyms will strictly prevent you from carrying anything rigid on the body due to safety concerns; the signs at my gym tell you to take off your phone, keys, knives, climbing harness, etc.

I was honestly just being snarky. I'm comfortable not carrying 24/7, and just use risk assessment.

Hambo
09-17-2021, 02:27 PM
T224 says:

"I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario."

When I read the story and contemplated the message, I thought that part of what was going on was said bystander, because he was at a gym and was not carrying on body, drove him to having gun in car and having to retrieve it, thereby potentially wasting valuable time/tactical advantage etc v. simply having a weapon on your body even while working out in the gym, ergo the inextricably intertwined set of events between the gym and the parking lot.

FWIW/YMMV

That's not what I got out of this:

A witness to the shootings, Sebastian Henry, of Kalispell, shared his account of the incidents with the Daily Inter Lake.

"I was walking to the DMV when I saw two guys arguing in the parking lot (of the fitness center) and the next thing you know, one guy started shooting at the other, it was about five or six times," Henry said. "I didn't see if the other guy had a gun, but I didn't see one."

Henry said another man came out of the gym and yelled at the shooter before the two exchanged gunfire.

Hot Sauce
09-17-2021, 05:45 PM
As for fanny packs and chest packs, that would be extremely out of place; people simply don't do that, because what would you keep in there that would make any sense?

"What's that fanny pack thing you're wearing?"

"Oh uhh... it's just my chalk bag.."

"That looks heavy, how much chalk do you carry?"

"Three pounds"

">_>"

"Yeah, my hands sweat A LOT!"

blues
09-17-2021, 05:46 PM
Open carry...at least then you can get the bench when you want it. ;)

Trooper224
09-17-2021, 06:09 PM

Wear two guns, that way you can say you're trying to be symmetrical with your gains.

blues
09-17-2021, 07:24 PM
Wear two guns, that way you can say you're trying to be symmetrical with your gains.

Good point.

Though there is something to be said for unilateral training. It's all the rage with the functional training crowd. ;)

Wheeler
09-17-2021, 07:52 PM
Better yet, don’t engage in shouting matches with irate customers in the parking lot of your business.

YVK
09-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Could always throw a Chekhov .25 in your underwear.

I am a Dostoevsky guy myself.

I've build up a little home gym during the pandemic. My club's use these days is binary in regards to CCW. I either go to hit tennis balls with a pro, or I go swimming. In the former case I've a racquet tennis bag that can host a SCAR 16, a SCAR 17, a KAC 300 blk, a basic load, a small hospital's supply of hemostatic agents, food, water, condoms, and a tent. And a few tennis racquets to make it a legit piece of tennis gear.
The swimming thing now, that I've not figured how to pack a piece in a pool. LittleLebowski?

Hambo
09-18-2021, 07:51 AM
Better yet, don’t engage in shouting matches with irate customers in the parking lot of your business.

Ah, yes, we win all the fights we avoid.

blues
09-18-2021, 08:08 AM

And for many on this board, if they carried (all, or most of) their gear, that would be a workout in itself.

LOKNLOD
09-18-2021, 10:29 AM
The swimming thing now, that I've not figured how to pack a piece in a pool. LittleLebowski?

The internet will be along shortly to ask if you tried a HK P11 underwater pistol in an Enigma yet.

DC_P
09-19-2021, 09:03 AM

And nobody will ask you to spot them.

Rex G
09-19-2021, 09:34 AM

Quoted for truth.

And, if it becomes necessary to defend one’s private property rights, by “disrespecting” a trespasser, be willing. Not just geared-up, and ready, but willing. And, while at it, maintain an advantage. (This is in reference to the employee, confronting the trespasser.)

willie
09-19-2021, 09:41 AM
I will not leave a firearm in my vehicle, and if I can't carry it into my destination, I leave the gun at home. Parking lot safety concerns me. I can spot a bum or derelict from afar and try to avoid them. I'm infirm now and would be easy prey for a strong arm robbery. For this reason I carry two wallets, a dummy one that I will willingly give up and the real one in an ankle holster. Also I carry a matchbook with a couple ones wrapped around it. This I would throw down to a bum and walk away as he picked it up. Many of these incompetents are crazy. I'm not going to take an ass whipping, and I wish not to kill somebody over a wallet. So I watch where I go. When I retired from teaching, I did the security for a giant retirement complex. I denied entrance to a man intent on assaulting his girl friend. He said old man you know I can whip you, and I said I ain't gonna take an ass shipping for $8 per hour. He left.

NEPAKevin
09-20-2021, 02:32 PM
The first time I listened to one of Jack Carr's podcasts, he had a lady named Amy Robbins who has a business called Alexo Athletica (https://alexoathletica.com/) which specializes in " fashionable, functional carrywear." On the podcast she said something about developing stuff for men but I don't see anything at this time. However, the ladies on the forum and anyone who identifies as female may find something of interest?

HCM
09-20-2021, 05:45 PM
I am a Dostoevsky guy myself.

I've build up a little home gym during the pandemic. My club's use these days is binary in regards to CCW. I either go to hit tennis balls with a pro, or I go swimming. In the former case I've a racquet tennis bag that can host a SCAR 16, a SCAR 17, a KAC 300 blk, a basic load, a small hospital's supply of hemostatic agents, food, water, condoms, and a tent. And a few tennis racquets to make it a legit piece of tennis gear.

https://youtu.be/4tP9yQVnQU4

RJ
09-21-2021, 06:57 AM
https://youtu.be/4tP9yQVnQU4

It makes me smile that I am not the only one here on p-f to think of that. :)

On topic: Thanks Tom for posting a reminder to carry your damn gun.

Rex G
09-21-2021, 10:17 AM
The first time I listened to one of Jack Carr's podcasts, he had a lady named Amy Robbins who has a business called Alexo Athletica (https://alexoathletica.com/) which specializes in " fashionable, functional carrywear." On the podcast she said something about developing stuff for men but I don't see anything at this time. However, the ladies on the forum and anyone who identifies as female may find something of interest?

Hmm, if it provides a solution to a specific weapon-concealment need, especially in a non-permissive environment, maybe “identifying” as female, or non-binary, could be situationally advantageous. When I was a kid, I remember a homicide detective, who was a member of our church, remarking that he wished purses would become fashionable for men, so he could use one to carry his handgun. Of course, forty to fifty+ years later, weapon-concealment purses for men are normal; just not being called “purses.”

I remember when some business establishments would want me to leave my “portfolio brief” at the front counter, or with a manager, when women could (usually) freely enter with a large purse, of about the same size. I ran into the same problem when I started toting a laptop, which was before there were “notebook” laptops. Finally, laptop bags/cases/backpacks became so common, places stopped requiring men to check most bags at the door. (I know that large backpacks will present a problem, at some places, which is why I do not tote my LAW-folder-ed DDM4 V7P, while at the local shopping plaza.)

To get to female-specific clothing, well, I bought Dene Adams semi-compression-type shorts, for my wife to use, for concealed carry. There are holster pockets, and other pockets, built into the waistband. The stretch factor makes them look pretty unisex, to me, and are well-made, making most “belly band” rigs look crude. Of course, women can wear such shorts, without another layer over them, socially acceptably. If any of us guys are bold enough to “wear women’s underwear,” as an inner layer, or as the only layer, well:

https://deneadams.com/

blues
09-21-2021, 11:18 AM
Rex G

Back in the late 80's early 90's in Miami, the easiest way to spot a fed, (ATF, DEA, Customs, etc), was to look for the leather purse man-bag / clutch. It was a dead giveaway and guys had to stop using them for that reason.

Rex G
09-21-2021, 11:54 AM
A really good way for a man to carry a bag, and not alarm folks, is to also sling a camera, as deceptive camouflage. Some places, of course, do not allow photography, so will have kittens if they see a camera that is visible. Capping the lens opening, and putting the lens away, assuages the worries of at least some security types.

A nice bag, though I made the mistake of ordering black, which really shows dirt and pet hair:

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/adam-marelli-x-chapman-camera-bag-black?_pos=1&_sid=6f02f4fc9&_ss=r&variant=11365339398188

This is what I would wanna carry, if I wanna be femme. ;) I got one, as a gift, for my wife, and I am envious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV--9slHIek

BobLoblaw
09-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Pre-workout is a hell of a drug.

Hambo
09-22-2021, 08:54 AM
Rex G

Back in the late 80's early 90's in Miami, the easiest way to spot a fed, (ATF, DEA, Customs, etc), was to look for the leather purse man-bag / clutch. It was a dead giveaway and guys had to stop using them for that reason.

The feds really do ruin everything.

which is why I do not tote my LAW-folder-ed DDM4 V7P, while at the local shopping plaza.

Dead man walking.

blues
09-22-2021, 09:20 AM
The feds really do ruin everything.

Worse yet, those guys wore loafers with no socks.

Oh, the humanity!!!

(Thankfully, yours truly resisted this insidious trend.)

NEPAKevin
09-22-2021, 01:14 PM
Worse yet, those guys wore loafers with no socks.